Wow, I want one of these:
http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-motorsports-hero-camera/

The video on their home page is sweet.

wesintl
04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
I want one for skiing.

FJBRADY
04-29-2011, 10:16 AM
I almost bought one last week to mount to the front of the 40, but the Tundra is getting new brakes today so no gopro CM11

rover67
04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
my Brother had a Go Pro for a while and recently got one of these:

http://store.contour.com/storefront.aspx?gclid=CNfU0f2RwqgCFUQOfAodNg5NpA

He seems to like it better.

Uncle Ben
04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
I have one of these..... http://replayxd.com/replay-xd-overview/ It works really great, is super tiny and picture quality is superb. I use it mostly for mounting under my rig for watching things work under stress. The different mounts that came with it are handy as heck and make it mountable on almost everything. The battery will last almost 2 hours which is how long a 4g mini card will record. It is not fancy and it's only function is record or not record but it's tini size makes up for the different options others have.

DaveInDenver
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
My buddy Steve has a Go camera. It's been dropped, run over, submerged and hit whilest cycling, skiing and kayaking. He mounts either on top of his helmet or in a chest harness. It's a durable little sucker. Video quality seems good to me. Chest-mounted, it works well, on top of your brain bucket it's pretty tall compared to the bullet form factor IMHO. But no overhanging rocks or trees have broken it, a couple enough to knock him off the bike.

wesintl
04-30-2011, 05:20 PM
i've heard more people going from contour to the go pro than the other way around...

Here is a cool vid

http://www.grindtv.com/snow/blog/26377/skiers+amazing+avalanche+cliff+jump+becomes+internet+hit/

coax
04-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I've been looking a bit into those two cameras, and apparently with the GPS contour and an Iphone, you can use bluetooth to change exposure settings, etc. Oh for an extra 250 dollars.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-01-2011, 09:20 PM
I am getting the GO Pro 1080P wide angle. They go for $300.00. I was just at REI the other day, and they were out of this version. They only had the 960I/fish eye.

But that was tempting at $180.00

powderpig
05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Don't you need to save some money for a Bumper or a college fund???

Caribou Sandstorm
05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Don't you need to save some money for a Bumper or a college fund???

Yes both, but after seeing Nate's video, I gotta have one.

shane4x4
05-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I've been using the Contour since last year, got some great video of the FJ Summit out in Ouray with the Contour. I hear the GoPro is good too though ;)

Caribou Sandstorm
05-19-2011, 11:09 PM
I've been using the Contour since last year, got some great video of the FJ Summit out in Ouray with the Contour. I hear the GoPro is good too though ;)

And video of me!

Hi Shane! I see your facebook updates all the time. Good to see you dropping in here..Hope to see you in Ouray this July!

BTW, I just got my Go Pro today!!!!

They go on sale tomorrow at REI, $229.00 vs the usaual $299.00. I need to go to class to figure this thing out!!

wesintl
05-22-2011, 10:17 AM
rUzNq3srJYE

Jenny Cruiser
06-15-2011, 11:11 PM
I want that dog! It sticks out like oral herpes, but once you get used to setting up the Gopro it's the easiest and most versatile air/land/sea. It will take a beating too.

OilHammer
01-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Why not this? http://www.optrixhd.com/products

nakman
04-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Hey so I got a Go Pro camera. It's pretty sweet, used it yesterday for the first time. One question I have is I was playing back the video by putting the SD card into a laptop- I had to go to half size to get it to fit in the screen, and the playback was pretty choppy. Is that because my card reader isn't fast enough? or is this a slow computer? Or is there some other reason for a slow/choppy playback?

Uncle Ben
04-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey so I got a Go Pro camera. It's pretty sweet, used it yesterday for the first time. One question I have is I was playing back the video by putting the SD card into a laptop- I had to go to half size to get it to fit in the screen, and the playback was pretty choppy. Is that because my card reader isn't fast enough? or is this a slow computer? Or is there some other reason for a slow/choppy playback?

My guess would be the card reader. Mine will playback great even in my little 10" laptop but is choppy if I use a cable from the camera or a card reader. Absolute best playback is to upload the file to your hard drive then play.

nakman
04-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Ok that's what I figured, thanks :kevin: I will try that.

CardinalFJ60
04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
I agree, I've also seen that slower cards (class 6 or less) may record with some random choppiness. Try to get Class 10 to record this HD video if you haven't already.

(it's the reader, though...dump it to your HD and it'll play just fine)

smslavin
04-09-2012, 04:06 PM
You can push it pretty far. I'm really impressed with the quality of the video. They definitely need a lot of light though and they suffer a bit when you go through changing conditions (sun/shade/sun). If they can ever get a CCD sensor to fit into that case, instead of the CMOS, all I can say is, holy crap.

Here's a great site for accessories. Lots of handy stuff there such as a polarizer filter and mag mount. I know the guy that runs it from my surf photography days.

http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/

Most fun I've had with it though is with the girls skiing. Been great to capture their first intro to skiing with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sppKiTisIsQ

(sorry, embed wasn't showing up for some reason...)

nakman
04-09-2012, 08:33 PM
I got the little screen for the back of the Go Pro in the mail today, man that thing is as sweet as the camera itself! And playback is nice and smooth.. I with the menus were a little more intuitive but with 2 buttons I guess it's hard to give you too many features. Anyway will still try saving one local, but it's obviously just the slow card reader.

Caribou Sandstorm
04-10-2012, 10:32 AM
I got the little screen for the back of the Go Pro in the mail today, man that thing is as sweet as the camera itself! And playback is nice and smooth.. I with the menus were a little more intuitive but with 2 buttons I guess it's hard to give you too many features. Anyway will still try saving one local, but it's obviously just the slow card reader.

Where did you get that little screen? direct from Go Pro? i think they also sell locally at REI and Best buy.

Have you decided where to mount in the 100? I am going to do two mounts on my 100. One on the front bumper and one on the windshield infront of the rear view mirror. Then I can connect to the double din dvd player to see playback viewing.

CardinalFJ60
04-10-2012, 11:05 AM
That LCD screen will eat up batteries in a jiffy. make sure you use it to set up the shot then turn it off for recording, or for playback enjoyment. it's such a wide angle I figure it'll grab "everything" in front of it. :D

I picked up a battery bac-pac and will probably get one more so I can alternately charge/use them. they ain't cheap though.

I love mine. the seat post mount fits perfectly on my Gamiviti rack and I mount it so I can turn it on/off with my left hand out the window. :cool::thumb:

Uncle Ben
04-10-2012, 11:22 AM
That LCD screen will eat up batteries in a jiffy. make sure you use it to set up the shot then turn it off for recording, or for playback enjoyment. it's such a wide angle I figure it'll grab "everything" in front of it. :D

I picked up a battery bac-pac and will probably get one more so I can alternately charge/use them. they ain't cheap though.

I love mine. the seat post mount fits perfectly on my Gamiviti rack and I mount it so I can turn it on/off with my left hand out the window. :cool::thumb:

The last few times I have been out I simply set my Hero on taking a picture every minute. It really catches a lot of fun shots! Last snow run I was on it even caught a small group of guys (not in your club) burning something in a small pipe while I was helping the guys behind me rig winch cables. :rolleyes: By the way all incriminating pictures are for sale at $100 each....now how many minutes did that brush fire last? :D

smslavin
04-10-2012, 11:28 AM

I've stopped using the LCD since it was such a battery muncher. Battery pac is almost always on it, depending on what I've got it mounted to. It gets a little heavy but it's almost a must have item, along with extra batteries.

Just remember that with the wide angle, you've got to be close to your subject otherwise it just becomes background and you've lost your reference point.

nakman
04-11-2012, 07:44 AM
I haven't mounted anything to the 100 yet. I did stick on a deal on my motorcycle helmet, also Gavin's motorcycle helmet, and have the handlebar mount on the motorcycle as well- it actually took some pretty cool footage, wasn't as bouncy as I thought it was going to be, but the helmet cam is a little clearer.. I am leaving the vehicle mounting for Utah, will be a good camp project. :camping:

UB, that's too funny man.. :lmao: also a good idea with the pic every couple minutes, will try that thanks!

Caribou Sandstorm
05-23-2012, 10:19 AM
I just got the LCD screen for the back of the Go-Pro for my birthday!!

Pretty cool.

It would be great if we could do a Go-Pro tips and tricks meeting sometime.

I.e. those that have them could explain how they use them and walk through the steps.

So far it looks like

Cardinal
Nakman
me
UB
Blair

Are users...

Blair knows a ton about mounitng and connecting to your stereo for charging.

I have the roll bar mount and used that at CM.

Maybe if there is time we could do 1 or 2 tips at the next club meeting?

smslavin
05-23-2012, 10:47 AM
I just got the LCD screen for the back of the Go-Pro for my birthday!!

Pretty cool.

It would be great if we could do a Go-Pro tips and tricks meeting sometime.

I.e. those that have them could explain how they use them and walk through the steps.

So far it looks like

Cardinal
Nakman
me
UB
Blair

Are users...

Blair knows a ton about mounitng and connecting to your stereo for charging.

I have the roll bar mount and used that at CM.

Maybe if there is time we could do 1 or 2 tips at the next club meeting?

i'd be up for meeting up for that as well.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Maybe we could do this kind of a meeting at Big Choice?

smslavin
05-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Maybe we could do this kind of a meeting at Big Choice?

:thumb: :cheers: :beer:

CardinalFJ60
05-23-2012, 03:56 PM
If you insist! :beer::thumb::cheers:

Caribou Sandstorm
05-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Watched one to many Go-Pro videos and picked up the wrist mount today at REI. Now I am gadget rich and technical know how poor....:) Heading to Costa Rica in 2 weeks, so the wrist mount will be cool for surfing.

smslavin
05-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Watched one to many videos and picked up the wrist mount today at REI. Now I am gadget rich and technical know how poor....:)

well, we should remedy that over a few pints. mondays and wednesdays work best for me and i'm not scheduled for any travel for another couple of weeks. last day of school was today as well so that makes things quite a bit easier.

isotel
05-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Ive been having fun with my go pro!
KlXASXkPOhg

For motorsports the Contour's have lot more sable mounting.. Gopros end up with alot of movment because they only have one mounting point

OilHammer
05-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Big Choice needs a brick pizza oven....
Need to go back and fill up my growler again tho

Mmm.....beer

Uncle Ben
05-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Big Choice needs a brick pizza oven....
Need to go back and fill up my growler again tho

Mmm.....beer

I'm watching for a used good quality ping pong table to donate to BC's upper room.

nakman
05-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Hey I'll be over there tonight, and happy to talk Go Pro's!

OilHammer
09-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Old thread back up.

So, I'm heading back to Italy and was wanting to take a smaller (less bulky) camera than my DSLR. I got to thinking and was wondering, why buy a point and shoot that will essentially never be used again after the trip. Maybe take a GoPro2 and just use it as a still camera? Then when I get back I have something to mount up on the bike/truck/board/etc where the DSLR would never work.

Thoughts?

nakman
09-17-2012, 09:28 AM
If you ask me it's not that great for just taking pictures- I have found the OS very cumbersome, it's cool to set it up once then go do something, but not what you want if you want to frame in the shot, view it afterwards, let's take another one, how did that look... you'll be there all day pressing the same 2 damn buttons fighting the OS navigation. IMHO, obviously. Borrow someone's for a while and check it out.

OilHammer
09-17-2012, 09:52 AM
I was afraid of that, and I don't think there is an LCD on it by default, right? I heard version 2 OS is better, but maybe not.

I'll have my iphone with me, which takes decent photos, but sometimes it just takes total crappy ones. I was really hoping for something that would cross that bridge between video and camera fairly well in a compact package, and still use the standard image card that the DSLR uses. If I can mount it for Rubicon or something, then bonus. I really don't want/need 3 cameras....

OilHammer
09-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Looks like new versions, Contour and now Sony action cam, have smart phone previewing of your image. Can't really see if you would be able to snap stills that way, but seems like that feature would really be secondary on any of them. Neither of the two mentioned vids have been fully released to market yet.

Hulk
09-21-2012, 12:45 AM
I got to thinking and was wondering, why buy a point and shoot that will essentially never be used again after the trip.

You could rent (http://www.borrowlenses.com/).

OilHammer
09-21-2012, 08:44 AM
I could....but Best Buy lets you use a product for up to 30 days and return it for a full refund if you aren't satisfied. Seems like that would be a better "rental" program. I'm only using it for less than 2 weeks. If it stinks, I simply take it back and buy something else, or nothing at all. I was really hoping to get to play with a Contour and the Sony, but they are just too new.

Air Randy
09-21-2012, 10:20 AM
I was afraid of that, and I don't think there is an LCD on it by default, right? I heard version 2 OS is better, but maybe not.

I'll have my iphone with me, which takes decent photos, but sometimes it just takes total crappy ones. I was really hoping for something that would cross that bridge between video and camera fairly well in a compact package, and still use the standard image card that the DSLR uses. If I can mount it for Rubicon or something, then bonus. I really don't want/need 3 cameras....

I have the GoPro HERO HD. It was $129 at BestBuy and the LCD screen was $79. With it you can see your shot and play back videos with sound. I dont know if this has a different OS than the earlier ones but switching from video to single shot, 3 shot, 10 second time delay,etc is a matter of pressing 1 button and selecting the icon for what you want. Having the LCD screen to see the larger icons probably makes it easier. According to their website they will have the smartphone app in the next month or so, so you can use your iphone or droid phone to view your videos.

OilHammer
09-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Hero2 is the OS in question as to how easy it is. My gripe with GP is that they can't seem to release it all in one package. So, you buy the camera for $300, then add the $100 wifi (which doesn't work) and you wind up with a bulky package for $400. If you read the reviews on the wifi, GP had been delaying the release of that app for months with no end in sight.

Compare that with the sony, which comes in at $279 for all of it, and it shoots more fps than either GP or Contour. I think the mount system for Sony sucks, but that's just a matter of aftermarket catching up. The gotcha on the Sony is the MP for stills, which I think is around 3. At least the GP has MP around 11 for stills.

This is where I think the Best Buy return policy is worth it's weight in gold. Sure I could buy one from amazon for less, but BB let's me take home 2 of them to compare and play with. I'm a pretty careful guy, so the risk of damaging one is pretty small. I don't think BB is going to carry contour, but REI does. And REI's policy is pretty much the same. :)

Hulk
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Got a Hero3 for Christmas. Seems like it eats through the battery really quick. I bet I don't even get 30 minutes of video. Does this sound right, or do you think i have a dud?

Also, you can get a drone for the gopro: http://brinx.it/9Pu
(I don't have one).