PDA

View Full Version : Pinion seal replacement parts

Eldorado556
05-01-2011, 10:54 AM
So my front and rear pinion seals on my 60 are leaking. I'd like to replace both at the same time. I know Marlin Crawler sells a nice HD seal. What other parts will I need to replace both?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/ilbruche/Landcruiser/IMG_0629.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/ilbruche/Landcruiser/IMG_0630.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/ilbruche/Landcruiser/IMG_0631.jpg

leiniesred
05-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Fresh pinion nuts are nice to have. lock washers for the driveshaft bolts maybe.

Rzeppa
05-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I *think* those Marlin seals are only for the front axle at the birf at the ends of the axle housing. I am unaware of that design also being used for companion flanges. I agree with Stephen that you should be using new stake nuts on those companion flanges. Toss the old ones in your trail spares bag.

I just bought some new, OEM bolts/nuts/washers for the driveshaft to companion flange on my FJ60 and have learned they no longer use split washers, they use flat washers. The bolt and nut threads are now pretreated with locking compound. Note also that they are 11mm!

nuclearlemon
05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
I *think* those Marlin seals are only for the front axle at the birf at the ends of the axle housing. I am unaware of that design also being used for companion flanges.

he does make pinion seals too, i won a set at roundup last year

Rzeppa
05-02-2011, 03:06 PM
he does make pinion seals too, i won a set at roundup last year

That is great to know! The front axle seals are certainly a superior design than stock, so it is great to know we can get that product for our companion flanges too!

DanS
05-02-2011, 11:32 PM
That is great to know! The front axle seals are certainly a superior design than stock, so it is great to know we can get that product for our companion flanges too!

Yep. They are sweet indeed. Work in the T-case too.

Marlin is awesome. The end.

Dan

Eldorado556
05-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. I already need to order the Marlin axle seals for rebuilding my knuckles so I'll probably pick up the pinion seals as well.

Now if Marlin would only get the rock sliders back in stock.

SteveH
05-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Be sure your axle vents are clear and/or remove the caps and replace with 3/8" fuel line. I have had several 'cruisers with leaky pinion seals that only leaked due to the vent being clogged. After I removed the vent cap and ran a line up high, the pinion seal stopped leaking.

Rzeppa
05-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Now if Marlin would only get the rock sliders back in stock.

Since I just got a 60 and need sliders, I checked out all the 60s at Moab to see what everyone was doing for sliders. Turns out the hot ticket is Trail Gear sliders made for a Taco - 58" versions. They fit perfect are something like $160 for a pair. With shipping and mounting gussets it comes out to about $200. I can hardly buy the steel for that!