PDA

View Full Version : Coarse Brakes Broke

AHorseThief
05-01-2011, 09:40 PM
I've been working on brakes since I got the truck. Took the rears apart and decided that both the rear/rear cylinders needed replaced. Got some new ones from Cruiser Outfitters and was installing them today.

I rebuilt the others at the same time, and then got to reinstalling cylinders. The rebuilt ones went on without a hitch, but the new ones were interesting. One of them had a bleeder screw in it. I figured I could pull it out of the rear and install a nice shiny bleeder screw in the front/rear.

I tried to put the bleeder in and it was coarse thread :mad:. Everything in the old cylinders was fine thread :mad:.

Did I get the wrong cylinder? Should I send it back, or am I stuck bending up a new brake line to jump from the rear to the front? Any thoughts?

TIMZTOY
05-02-2011, 10:46 AM
odds are its the right cylinder, an they had to retap the bleeder. compare the old and new cylinder side by side. do they look the same ? same length diameter, exc exc.. if so there the same just taped larger thread

leiniesred
05-02-2011, 11:04 AM
I've seen coarse and fine pitch metric bleeders on the shelf at auto zone and checkers and stuff. could be an easy part to find.

Rzeppa
05-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Hi Horse Thief, what year and model is your truck?

AHorseThief
05-02-2011, 05:43 PM
It's a '73 FJ-40.

AHorseThief
05-02-2011, 05:55 PM
odds are its the right cylinder, an they had to retap the bleeder. compare the old and new cylinder side by side. do they look the same ? same length diameter, exc exc.. if so there the same just taped larger thread

The cylinder in question is the driver's side rear/rear. That cylinder doesn't get a bleeder. The rear port is for the supply line and the front port jumpers to the rear port of the rear/front cylinder (which gets a bleeder). I've got Kurt looking into what he sent me, but it wasn't the correct cylinder. I think it was actually a replacement driver's rear/front.

Rzeppa
05-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks Horse Thief, that is helpful. All stock wheel cylinders on 1973 40 and 50 series have their own bleeder port. If it does not have one, then it is not stock. Bleeding the 4 wheel drum system gives some people fits, but once it is done properly, the stock all-drum system can easily put your nose on the windshield. 2 of my 4 Land Cruisers are all-drum, and the other 2 have drums in the rear. Each and every slave cylinder has it's own bleed port.

AHorseThief
05-02-2011, 10:25 PM
All stock wheel cylinders on 1973 40 and 50 series have their own bleeder port. If it does not have one, then it is not stock.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've wrote there, but I am fairly certain that for the rear drums in a '73 cruiser, the supply tees at the middle of the axle and feeds the rearmost wheel cylinders. This cylinder is then jumpered to supply the other cylinder in that wheel. Therefore, the rearmost wheel cylinder would not have a bleeder port. The picture of the wheel cylinders on CCOT's website shows this very clearly.

The part I got from Cruiser Outfitters was not correct. I was hoping to make it work. It is the correct size and orientation, but with threads for a coarse bleeder screw my existing piece of brake line used to jumper to the other cylinder will not work.

L43dean
05-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Each of the eight wheel cylinders on my stock, four wheel drum brake, 1968 Fj-40 LandCruiser has it's own bleeder nipple.

AHorseThief
05-02-2011, 11:10 PM
They changed in '71 from what I can tell.

AHorseThief
05-10-2011, 08:37 AM
A quick update. Kurt is the man. :thumb: On Tuesday before heading off to CM, he kicked butt, took names, and got me the correct cylinder. Rear brakes are all buttoned up and looking good. Now I just have to fix up the fronts and bleed, bleed, bleed.

Rzeppa
05-10-2011, 12:20 PM
They changed in '71 from what I can tell.

My 71 has 8 cylinders and 8 bleeders. My 76 only has drums in the rear but each of the 4 cylinders has its own bleeder. Haven't had to bleed my 78 yet so I really haven't looked. But glad Kurt got you hooked up. :thumb:

Dr. Schlegs
05-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Kurt is a great guy and consider myself fortunate to know him.

subzali
05-12-2011, 09:15 AM
My '77 has jumpers so I only have one bleeder at each wheel.

AHorseThief
05-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Got all the wheel cylinders either rebuilt or replaced. :thumb: Took the maiden voyage around the cul-de-sac and then gave each of my boys and my wife a ride one at a time. Next project is to get the rear seat installed so all four of us and the dog can ride at the same time.

It stops ok, but I think I'm going to tighten up the adjusters just a little bit more on each wheel. I got a little chicken, even though I knew from reading on here and Mudd that I should adjust them a little further in than "felt" right.

subzali
05-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Sweet! Glad to get that project behind you. Now you know more about Land Cruiser drum brakes than you ever wanted to! ;)