PDA

View Full Version : Need Cruiser Transported from GJ to Kittredge

Rzeppa
05-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I have air conditioning in my FJ40 crankcase - put a hole in it driving back from Moab on I-70. Threw a rod for sure and lord knows what else I will find, but that engine will never start again. Thanks to Steve Brady and his trailer we got it dropped off at Hugh's shop (Safari Ltd) in Grand Junction, where she sits right now.

Among the suggestions to get the rig back into my garage in Kittredge are to get one of you guys that has a tow rig and trailer and pay you enough to make it worth your while, plus cover all your fuel costs. Any takers?

Thanks and happy cruisin'!

Inukshuk
05-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Bummer to hear that Jeff! Good save Steve! Wish I could help.

corsair23
05-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Bummer Jeff!

Best of luck getting it home!

RLMS
05-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Ill call a buddy of mine with a hualin co, he is coming back from CA this week!

Ill keep you posted

MDH33
05-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your 40 Jeff! Did you have any warning before it threw the rod, or was it just it's time to go?

timmbuck2
05-10-2011, 07:15 AM
I have a tow rig but no trailer...

baileyfj40
05-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Jeff;

Let me check with my better half and see if we can go get the 40 on Friday the 20th.

FJBRADY
05-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Jeff, I could go get it with you at the end of the month say the weekend of May 28th. I am busy the next two weekends, unfortunately. Let me know if you don't get it by then and we will set something up.

treerootCO
05-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Jeff,

Let me know what I can do to help. I can run down there this weekend if needed and I have at least three 2F builders in the garage you are welcome to.

North engine - 441050 = Mar '80
South engine - 334175 = Dec '78
Engine in my 40 = Dec '78

ragman
05-10-2011, 08:04 AM
If you find a shop rag sucked up against the sump - I just might giggle a little.

Sorry for the thrown rod. I just did the same thing with my #1 cylinder and it was a mess.

Good luck man!

Rzeppa
05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your 40 Jeff! Did you have any warning before it threw the rod, or was it just it's time to go?

Hi Martin, yes it started knocking a bit when I first got onto I-70. Oil pressure was still good so I figured I could probably limp home. After I went up those big hills around Rabbit Valley it started getting louder and I knew I probably wouldn't make it so I simply set a goal of trying to get to GJ under my own power. Almost made it too - got as far as a couple miles west of Fruita.

Boy when she let go it was pretty dramatic. Huge bang, engine seized (I put the clutch in as quick as I could and shifted into neutral), huge cloud of oil smoke like you see when a race car blows an engine.

I opened the hood and when the smoke cleared enough I could see a big hole in the crankcase in front of the distributor. The dipstick was hanging from the splash shield, still in the tube, along with the metal that the tube presses in to, just dangling.

Rzeppa
05-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Ill call a buddy of mine with a hualin co, he is coming back from CA this week!

Ill keep you posted

Thanks Justin! I also spoke with a friend of Hugh's that was at Moab while we were there who drives an 18 wheeler between GJ and Denver several times a week. He's supposed to get back to me today.

MountainGoat
05-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I opened the hood and when the smoke cleared enough I could see a big hole in the crankcase in front of the distributor. The dipstick was hanging from the splash shield, still in the tube, along with the metal that the tube presses in to, just dangling.

:eek: Dang. Got any pics? I would like to make a motion that we give Jeff a delayed eight ball award! :hill:

Rzeppa
05-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I have several PMs I will go read now. I want to mention that I am not in a terrible hurry to get her back here or even fixed right now. Any time in the next several weeks is fine. I spoke with Hugh yesterday and he is cool with leaving her there for a while, he said as "long as it isn't a year or something" LOL!

I have a build-able F out of a 71 and a build-able 2F out of a 78 on stands in my garage. The 2F I had slated for my FJ45 whenever she will need an engine one of these days, so I'll probably build the F.

My plan is to park her next to my garage where Treeroot's 45 used to be until I get around to building an engine and sticking it in. I have already decided I do not want to rush this, and will likely not be leading the Father's day run this year. I need to get our new 60 to where we want it first, and I feel guilty about not making hardly any progress on my resto.

Rzeppa
05-10-2011, 09:32 AM
:eek: Dang. Got any pics? I would like to make a motion that we give Jeff a delayed eight ball award! :hill:

You know, I thought of that while I was riding back with Stephen Rudy. At the time it was just kind of a scramble to get all the pieces in motion and I was kind of trying to think of all the stuff I had to do and what to take and what to leave inside the rig.

Rzeppa
05-10-2011, 09:41 AM
OK, Ben has offered to bring it back later this week as he is going out there anyway. He would be borrowing Treeroot's trailer. Man all I can say is:

:risingsun

timmbuck2
05-10-2011, 09:59 AM
I can be a backup of Ben is not able to grab it.

I can also lead the Father's Day run if you are MIA.

Good luck, hope one of those old engines (one is mine I think) can be rebuilt and keep your 40 on the road for a looong time.

Rzeppa
05-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I can be a backup of Ben is not able to grab it.

I can also lead the Father's Day run if you are MIA.

Good luck, hope one of those old engines (one is mine I think) can be rebuilt and keep your 40 on the road for a looong time.

Thanks Timm. I have pretty much already decided that I am not going to have this fixed by Father's Day. Maybe, who knows, but I am not going to push it. I gave that 60 engine to another guy here who needed it. The F is out of Jeff Blumenthal's 1/71 40 and the 2F is out of Mark Morleno's 78 40.

timmbuck2
05-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks Timm. I have pretty much already decided that I am not going to have this fixed by Father's Day. Maybe, who knows, but I am not going to push it. I gave that 60 engine to another guy here who needed it. The F is out of Jeff Blumenthal's 1/71 40 and the 2F is out of Mark Morleno's 78 40.

Best of luck with the rebuild and fix. Will have an empty seat at the Fathers Day Run. You think you will get it fixed by the Rally runs?

Nice to have multiple engines to pick from!

Rzeppa
05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Best of luck with the rebuild and fix. Will have an empty seat at the Fathers Day Run. You think you will get it fixed by the Rally runs?

Nice to have multiple engines to pick from!

Thanks Timm! I might just spend Father's day doing something different, I haven't decided yet. I have led the Father's Day run every year since 2000. Who knows, I might have her fixed by then, I just don't want to rush her to the front of the project list. I need to get the new 60 smogged, painted and put sliders on, and replace that worn u-joint. And the :Princess: doesn't like the pulsation of the brakes so I'll have to get the rotors turned or replaced, and if I am going to do that then I may as well do front axle service. One of the seals certainly needs replacing.

Yes it is nice having a couple of cores to have around to build. Treeroot offered a couple too. Ricardo is suggesting that we get that F torn down and taken down to Gunn this week. It is certainly possible, but like I said I want to keep the 60 at a higher priority.

I could take the 60 or the 45 on the BOWAGW run and Bill Moore if I wanted to. Those runs are both doable in a stocker. Prolly have to sweat the Rocky Mountain pinstripes on Bill Moore if the 60 has new paint though!

Rzeppa
05-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks to Ben Ashcraft and Mike Davidson, Charlotte is home, and I snapped a couple pictures.

The first one is the dipstick still in the tube. I set it on the fender. The second one is the distributor. Kinda broken. Third one shows the positive crankcase ventilation. Not so much a system any more. Next is a different angle, you can see an additional crack to the left of the distributor. Finally, a peek inside. We can buff that out!

:rolleyes:

Snowrun
05-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Glad to see you got it home. :thumb: Sorry to see the extent of the damage.

RockRunner
05-13-2011, 08:52 PM
You know when you are doing 90 mph down I-70 things like this can happen:rolleyes: Sorry to see the carnage but I am sure you will get her put back together better than before.:thumb:

Inukshuk
05-14-2011, 12:02 AM
JB weld. Its just a scratch.

bigbluefj
05-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Hey you've been talking with Mr.Farr that looks like the whole in his block also..
Hope you get it back together soon Jeff..

rover67
05-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Awwe man... I sure hate to see that! Hey, at least it gives you the opportunity to build something new for it though!!

Rzeppa
05-14-2011, 03:09 PM
JB weld. Its just a scratch.

:lmao:

Like I wrote "It'll buff out"!

60wag
05-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey you've been talking with Mr.Farr that looks like the whole in his block also..
Hope you get it back together soon Jeff..

What is the story with Matt's block?

Jeff - that's a bummer. It's amazing just how thin the casting is away from the oil pan flange.

My 82' 60 would roar and vibrate if I got the rpms over 3000. My '84 60 with the rebuilt, balanced 2F would run right up to 4200 rpm without the feeling of impending doom, (and have quite a bit more zoom.)

Maybe Charlotte needs a rest behind the garage while the new 60 gets some attention?

nakman
05-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Time to get Olive back in action.. :)

Air Randy
05-14-2011, 06:19 PM
You better hurry if you're going to lead the Fathers Day run this year!

Rzeppa
05-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Maybe Charlotte needs a rest behind the garage while the new 60 gets some attention?

That is pretty much what is is Bruce, see my subsequent post in this section...

:)

Rzeppa
05-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Time to get Olive back in action.. :)

That has been a recurring New Year's resolution...

:o

Rzeppa
05-14-2011, 08:39 PM
You better hurry if you're going to lead the Fathers Day run this year!

I am determined NOT to hurry. And if I do not have a worthy rig to lead the Father's Day run this year it will not be the end of the world. Then I will not lead it.

Everything happens for a reason. Most of the time we don't recognize what the reason is.

I am just really glad I was able to participate in CM2011. Lead my trails, gun my trails, enjoy the camaraderie and have a great time. I almost didn't make it. I am just glad that I am still here able to type this message to my friends.

JadeRunner
05-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Don't worry about the Fathers day run. We will carry it on for you. Take it easy. Take your time. Spend your new energy on Olive. It's time.