PDA

View Full Version : 62 emissions issues

nattybumppo
05-11-2011, 08:09 PM
My 62 failed emissions today and I don't think it is the CAT. The PO had it tested July 1 2010 and it failed with CO reading at 43 (limit is 25. At that time the HC was 1.88 (limit 3) and the NOx was 2.43 (limit 5). She had a bunch of work done on it to try to get it to pass. What I know about was plugs/dist cap/wires/air filter. She tested it more times in July. The only sheet I got was July 29. It failed with HC at 5.27 (way up!) and CO at 107 (way up). NOx was down a little at 2.3. My efforts have been a valve adjustment, one tank of premium with 2 HEETS burned off around town, about a thousand miles with seafoam in the oil, a tank of regular with BG 44K burned off with a hard run up to Vail and back. Today it failed with HC at 3.4 and CO at 93. The NOx was fine at 1.99.

Anybody have any ideas? The CATs might be OK with a NOx reading kile that. I have ordered new oxygen sensors. What else might work? Any ideas are appreciated!

ianacole
05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Correct spark plugs - not a heat range cooler or anything like that?

Chris
05-12-2011, 11:11 AM
It took me 7 tries to pass mine with a new cat, new injectors, new EGR, etc. Dump a couple bottles of isopropyl in there with a small amount of gas, run it hot and hope for the best. This BS is why I sold my FJ62 to someone in a non-emission state.

Cheeseman
05-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Work on the Air Mass sensor dial settings and the distributor setting. Steve knows which way to go on that. And check the Tranny cable and make it such that it shifts very quickly. Then the engine doesn't have to work as hard.

MDH33
05-13-2011, 09:52 PM
..Dump a couple bottles of isopropyl in there with a small amount of gas, run it hot and hope for the best. ...

This worked for my 60 as well. Nice and hot engine, almost empty tank, and a bottle of Heet and I passed. And my 60 burns a quart of oil per tank of gas and has a bad cylinder. I think the tester just got frustrated with how slow it was when they struggled to get it up to 55 on the dyno. :hill:

Crash
05-14-2011, 10:04 AM
As our CO gas is ethanolized to about 10% I don't see how adding a little more alcohol has any effect on emissions and why a gas line drier like Heet is even sold in our state anymore. ???

Rzeppa
05-16-2011, 11:50 AM
As our CO gas is ethanolized to about 10% I don't see how adding a little more alcohol has any effect on emissions and why a gas line drier like Heet is even sold in our state anymore. ???

Heet is methanol - much more effective than the EtOH they add to our gas.

I am crossing my fingers and toes that our new-to-us FJ60 will pass. It has new cats and a rebuilt carb but reportedly went several tries before it passed for the PO last time. When we got my daughter's 60 to pass we put in new plugs, air filter element, changed oil & filter, and added about 4 bottles of heet to a nearly empty fuel talk.

Chris
05-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Isopropyl at the grocery store is cheaper than Heet. The limits are higher than in the past so past results don't assure you will this time. Good luck to you guys and I hope your experience will be better than mine.

SteveH
05-16-2011, 01:43 PM
My brother added 2 gal of E-85 to about 5-6 gal of gas in his FZJ-80, and it passed the CO test after that. E-85 is so much handier and cheaper than bottled stuff.

nattybumppo
05-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Passed with flying colors. Replaced the plugs, cap and rotor, air filter, fuel pressure regulator, oxygen sensors, thermostat, but none of that did it. What made the difference was adjustments to the air flow meter wheel. Thanks for all the help and support, Crash. You are the 62 Guru!

Crash
05-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Passed with flying colors. Replaced the plugs, cap and rotor, air filter, fuel pressure regulator, oxygen sensors, thermostat, but none of that did it. What made the difference was adjustments to the air flow meter wheel. Thanks for all the help and support, Crash. You are the 62 Guru!

You need to update your sig line! :hill:
It was obvious that the AFM on Sascha's 62 had been messed with - the silicone seal around the black cap had been removed as had the metal plug covering the air bypass screw. Simply putting the adjustments of that screw and the metering wheel back to settings similar to those on my truck was pretty much all it took to get Dino emissions legal. Amazingly, 23 year old OEM catalytic convertors hadn't been ruined by a year's worth of running extremely rich. There is, no surprise, something to be said for OEM Toyota-spec'ed parts!
:beer: