PDA

View Full Version : Nugget Hill FAC?

Uncle Ben
09-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey folks,
I am soliciting interest for a FAC run this Friday up Gallispie and on top of Nugget Hill overlooking the front range. The run part needs to be fairly fast paced over easy and moderate terrain as the focus is more on lawn chairs, snacks and VERY limited libations overlooking the lights of the world below. Stock vehicles will be fine.
I need to know who would be interested and probably show and also what time frame folks could meet.

BTW: Gallispie/Nugget Hill is located near Jamestown in Left Hand Canyon.

JadeRunner
09-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Sounds fun. But, I hear they graded the road to the Nuggut Hill intersection.

link (http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=43726)

Uncle Ben
09-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Sounds fun. But, I hear they graded the road to the Nuggut Hill intersection.

link (http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=43726)

Robbie and I just ran it 2 weeks ago and it was fine. I will sneak up there maybe tomorrow at lunch and find out. :mad:

nakman
09-12-2005, 09:06 PM
NFW.. Gillespie is graded? Uncle B, may be able to make it up there tomorrow evening with you, if you can wait that long? :D

Uncle Ben
09-12-2005, 10:14 PM
NFW.. Gillespie is graded? Uncle B, may be able to make it up there tomorrow evening with you, if you can wait that long? :D

Nope, 80 is a kid hauling bus on Tuesday evenings. Lori needs it as a 7 passenger bus on Wednesday. My best chance is a long lunch tomorrow. Bummer, haven't been out playing with the Snackster in a while! :(

nakman
09-12-2005, 10:32 PM
prolly just as well, Mrs. Snackster didn't seem too keen on the idea anyway.. :o

nakman
09-13-2005, 02:13 PM
So are you back from lunch yet? What's the deal up there? :confused:

Uncle Ben
09-13-2005, 04:38 PM
So are you back from lunch yet? What's the deal up there? :confused:

Well, don't know where to start....
It is true, Gallispie and the Gold Lake Ridge road have been bulldozed! The road to Nugget Hill is untouched from the saddle (cross road) up. I spoke to two Geologists working at the big mine on Gallispie and got some great answers. First off, the bulldozing is a normal every 10 or so year thing as the roads are designated Egress roads for firefighting and access. That means after a couple years the road should be fairly washed out again! Before you start clapping there is a catch.....the reson the Geologists are there isw because they work for the company that ownes the mines up there. There is a possibility the big mine might reopen soon depending on the Geologists reports. I told them that we would be happy to work with them and try to keep the access open and they appreciated that (he wrote it down in his notes!). The mine company will keep Gallispie graded to the mine if it does start up operation again.
So the outlook is good and bad!
As for the Friday FAC run I'm still game.....the road is still steep and loose and as I mentioned the road to Nugget Hill is as it was before.

Here is some pics (none of Nugget Hilll and only one of the ridge road)

Before the mine where we always air down....

Uncle Ben
09-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Remember the first of the tough spots?

Uncle Ben
09-13-2005, 04:43 PM
surely you remember "The Rock?"

Uncle Ben
09-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Don't forget the stump!

Uncle Ben
09-13-2005, 04:45 PM
....and on my way back home I took a pic of the teeter rock on the ridge trail...

Uncle Ben
09-13-2005, 04:50 PM
....talk about a needless use of taxpayer money! Seems it would be cheaper to upgrade the vehicles to handle the trail then to hire heavy equiptment every 10 years!

nakman
09-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Wow, I can't believe it. Excellent pictures, thank you! The first tough spot is just after the mine right? Before the corner with the bypass? "the rock" is in what I've always called "rocker alley" where I scratched my fender flare on last year's night run.. same place where Robbie had to strap Bobo's open 60 during the prerun, if anyone else remembers that. Then the stump you could either try to go over, or take it wide & hit your diff on a different rock, which appears to be gone now... I can't believe that's the same road.

Uncle Ben
09-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Wow, I can't believe it. Excellent pictures, thank you! The first tough spot is just after the mine right? Before the corner with the bypass? "the rock" is in what I've always called "rocker alley" where I scratched my fender flare on last year's night run.. same place where Robbie had to strap Bobo's open 60 during the prerun, if anyone else remembers that. Then the stump you could either try to go over, or take it wide & hit your diff on a different rock, which appears to be gone now... I can't believe that's the same road.

Very good Grasshopper! The ridge road is the same way! Some familier places I was looking for for a photo were almost unfindable! Remember the broken off camber step? I think I found it on the way back down...not positive. As loose as it is now some heavy rain and snow runoff will wash it out quickly exposing new challenges but it will take a couple of winter/springs. :(
Soooooo....million dollar question....who's up for the first semi-annual Friday Afterwork Club run? Now rated easy/moderate. :p

Rzeppa
09-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Super fun trail...wish I didn't have to work Friday :-(

Uncle Ben
09-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Super fun trail...wish I didn't have to work Friday :-(

Friday afterwork would and will qualify as FAC!

60wag
09-14-2005, 08:04 AM
The gate at Gold Lake is still closed isn't it?

nakman
09-14-2005, 08:48 AM
No can do Friday afternoon, sorry to say. But I could do it possibly on Saturday afternoon, anyone else?

Uncle Ben
09-14-2005, 08:53 AM
The gate at Gold Lake is still closed isn't it?

I believe it is...not positive. It was closed because folks were "bogging" in the wetland marsh area's right there I found out. Not that many people go all the way to that dead end now so I guess locking the gate worked. :mad:

Uncle Ben
09-14-2005, 08:56 AM
No can do Friday afternoon, sorry to say. But I could do it possibly on Saturday afternoon, anyone else?

I might be able to do Sat afternoon but it's not a great possibility for me. I would rather do it as a night run.

Crash
09-14-2005, 08:22 PM
The stump and rock may be history but I'll bet there is still a root to cause some poor slug some grief. The view from the top is always awesome and night runs always make things more interesting! Our weekend plans fell through so I'm available to test out Bart's knuckle rebuild of a weekend ago. What sort of time frame are you looking at, Kevin?
Steve

Uncle Ben
09-14-2005, 10:05 PM
The stump and rock may be history but I'll bet there is still a root to cause some poor slug some grief. The view from the top is always awesome and night runs always make things more interesting! Our weekend plans fell through so I'm available to test out Bart's knuckle rebuild of a weekend ago. What sort of time frame are you looking at, Kevin?
Steve

When could you meet after work?

Crash
09-15-2005, 09:01 AM
5:00 would be pushing it but could be done. What are you thinking?

When could you meet after work?

Uncle Ben
09-15-2005, 09:12 AM
5:00 would be pushing it but could be done. What are you thinking?

I was thinking/wondering 6pm but my youngest just told us of a B-Ball game she has at school Fri night. I'll find out what time that is and post times here of the run. Weather looks awesome for tomorrow night! Looks like it's just the two of us? That surprises me! :rolleyes:

Crash
09-15-2005, 09:14 AM
If you want to try Saturnight that would work for me too. Whatever works best for the most.

I was thinking/wondering 6pm but my youngest just told us of a B-Ball game she has at school Fri night. I'll find out what time that is and post times here of the run. Weather looks awesome for tomorrow night! Looks like it's just the two of us? That surprises me! :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
09-15-2005, 11:02 PM
If you want to try Saturnight that would work for me too. Whatever works best for the most.

Sat is not an option for me this week. My youngests B-Ball tourny should end 5:30ish so lets say meet at Gateway (Go-Cart track on north 28th in Boulder) at 6:30pm tomorrow (Friday) night. I will bring the cold beverages a portable table, a few lawn chairs and a lantern. Someone needs to bring chips and dip perhaps!? To bad Snacksters not driving/cooking some hot wings! Right now it appears that its Crash, maybe Powderpig and myself. It's forecasted to be a clear and nice night! Woo Hoo! :cool:

Please confirm if your going either by PM to me or here. I'm going regardless if I'm the only one or not! Have plenty of empty seats if someone wants a ride! (Ian?)

FEMTC=Friday Evening Mountain Top Club!

Uncle Ben
09-16-2005, 09:07 AM
TTT one last time

powderpig
09-16-2005, 09:22 AM
I will be there as of this moment. Do not know about the family yet. I can bring chips and some sort of dip. later robbie

Crash
09-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Tonight, then - Greenbriar Inn at 6:00? How does that sound to you, Robbie and Kevin?
Steve

I will be there as of this moment. Do not know about the family yet. I can bring chips and some sort of dip. later robbie

Uncle Ben
09-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Tonight, then - Greenbriar Inn at 6:00? How does that sound to you, Robbie and Kevin?
Steve

As I posted earlier I have a B-Ball game finishing up 5:30ish so I won't be there till 6:15 - 6:30. If you want to meet at Greenbriar insted of Gateway thats fine.

Crash
09-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Sorry, I had overlooked Kevin's post regarding 6:30 at Gateway for meeting time and place and will be there at that time. Guess I better put on the LTBs in case the 80 boys want to dare a little 60 series into doing something stupid!! :D
Steve

Uncle Ben
09-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Sorry, I had overlooked Kevin's post regarding 6:30 at Gateway for meeting time and place and will be there at that time. Guess I better put on the LTBs in case the 80 boys want to dare a little 60 series into doing something stupid!! :D
Steve

So its Gateway still? Steve, only thing you'll need extra is a hockey mask and a chainsaw! :D

Crash
09-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Gateway at 6:30 - roger that. As the moon is nearly full tonight, a hockey mask and chainsaw are mandatory requirements! So is warm clothing. Others should come out for the fun and the spectacular scenery that Nugget Hill provides.

So its Gateway still? Steve, only thing you'll need extra is a hockey mask and a chainsaw! :D

powderpig
09-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I will only have my street tires on steve. Seeing as it is almost paved to the saddle, the only stuff is up top. See you there. later robbie

Crash
09-16-2005, 11:05 AM
MTR street tires. ;) Okay, ATs it is for me.

I will only have my street tires on steve. Seeing as it is almost paved to the saddle, the only stuff is up top. See you there. later robbie

nakman
09-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey, how'd it go on Friday? I just got back a couple hours ago from running it today.. went up with my friend Mike (he had the Xterra on last year's night run) and a friend of his from work in a built up Rubicon.. had this swaybar disconnect where you just pull & twist a knob, anyone ever seen those? pretty trick..

Anyway I was glad to see the trail wasn't completely groomed.. definitely easier in most spots, but that one spot after the mine but before the switchback into "rocker alley" is still pretty big.. I had to twist the dail all the way to make it through, took the bypass on the way back down. Also had fun screwing around on that ditch right after the saddle.. yeah I'd probably go there again... :rolleyes:

Rzeppa
09-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I picked up a half cord of wood today in my 45...time to renew the "Made to work" thread?

Uncle Ben
09-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Hey, how'd it go on Friday? I just got back a couple hours ago from running it today.. went up with my friend Mike (he had the Xterra on last year's night run) and a friend of his from work in a built up Rubicon.. had this swaybar disconnect where you just pull & twist a knob, anyone ever seen those? pretty trick..

Anyway I was glad to see the trail wasn't completely groomed.. definitely easier in most spots, but that one spot after the mine but before the switchback into "rocker alley" is still pretty big.. I had to twist the dail all the way to make it through, took the bypass on the way back down. Also had fun screwing around on that ditch right after the saddle.. yeah I'd probably go there again... :rolleyes:

It was an awesome run! Nearly a full moon, lights as far as the eyes could see and SA Ocktoberfest to wash down the snacks! :cool: We had considered going back down right away and then go up Castle Gulch but we were having too much fun atop Nugget Hill so we stayed put. Any more fun and you would have to put us in straight jackets and lock us up! :p

Crash
09-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Yup, what he said - it was too much fun!! Thanks to Kevin for getting the run done and for the Oktoberfest which was the perfect choice and thanks to Robbie for the chips, guacamole and the "no Kevin, that isn't nuts, get your fingers outta there" salsa. It was dark out even with the full moon on top of Nugget Hill! Special thanks to Ty for the grins along the way.
It was good to see that Gillespie isn't totally graded out but we'll have to see what happens with the possibility of mining starting back up, up there. It was a fun run and makes me look forward to Nakman's Spooky Night Run coming up next month. Night wheeling rocks!!
Steve

It was an awesome run! Nearly a full moon, lights as far as the eyes could see and SA Ocktoberfest to wash down the snacks! :cool: We had considered going back down right away and then go up Castle Gulch but we were having too much fun atop Nugget Hill so we stayed put. Any more fun and you would have to put us in straight jackets and lock us up! :p