PDA

View Full Version : Argentine Pass Cleanup Run 6/26/11

subzali
05-13-2011, 08:10 AM
EDIT: Poll is essentially closed.

I figured I'd better get this up before someone snags these dates. I'm trying to avoid the Father's Day run weekend for doing this cleanup run; usually we do this in late June because once we hit July it gets real busy.

The date is Sunday, June 26 (I know this interferes with Ham field day)

Meeting time: 9:00 am - We'll roll at 9:30.

Meeting place: The pullout for Argentine Pass/Leavenworth Road off of Guanella Pass Road - just head up towards Guanella Pass from Georgetown and the pullout is on a large sweeping left hand switchback.

Communications: CB Channel 4, 2m 146.460

Be sure to bring:
Water (1 gallon per person)
Food for lunch
Sturdy shoes/boots
Work gloves
Sunscreen
Hat
Aspirin/Ibuprofen
Sunglasses

Problem with the earlier date is there will probably be some snow as there was a couple years ago. (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10157&highlight=argentine)

What's the plan? There's much to see and do up there. I want to cover the ATV tracks (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10742) and see what's going on there. I haven't been up to Santiago in a while so I think it would be good to shoot for lunch there. We've never been all the way up to Argentine Pass proper as a group, so if there's time I'd like to shoot for that perhaps. But there's the south/east side of the valley that has more ATV tracks that I'd like to investigate with the group and get ideas for as well. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Kenon698
05-13-2011, 09:27 AM
I voted for the 12th but either day would be fine for me.

Red_Chili
05-13-2011, 10:49 AM
How about a Saturday? Too early and the record snow might prevent access.

subzali
05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Anyone's welcome to go up anytime they want. But be sure to fill out a volunteer form (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10038&highlight=volunteer+hours) so we can get credit for the hours!

MDH33
05-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I voted for the earlier date, but either is ok with me. :thumb:

Old40Dog
05-14-2011, 07:06 PM
I voted for the earlier date, even though it's been snowing up here all day today.

Things will melt down pretty quick soon. Good thing we have global warming or it just might snow all summer the way it's going right now!

bh4rnnr
05-15-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm game for either. I was checking out the snow conditions during the drive back from Moab, and it loooks like things are melting pretty good for the Georgetown, Silverplooma area.

I also have one weekend a month schedualed to go explore Argentine. Matt, once the roads open up, your gonna have to show me that one road that dead ends at the mine overlooking I-70;).

subzali
05-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Sounds great Perry! I'll at least point you in the right direction!

I found this website that shows that even in late June last year there was snow up near the top of Argentine Pass proper:
http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen_2010.htm

On 5/31 last year the road was really only open to the Waldorf mine site. I bet the road to Santiago was blocked.

I also have a friend's graduation on the 12th of June, so I'm going to say let's make it the 26th.

subzali
05-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Okay, so according the documents I attached to this thread I need to keep a couple lists:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=15785

1 - A list of persons who will be participating in work on the day of the cleanup. I will estimate that from this thread, and if you could post up or pm me if you're coming then I can get that information to the Forest Service before the cleanup event.

2 - A list of all persons who agree to participate under our service agreement with the Forest Service. I'm still trying to clarify what that is, exactly.

Also, everyone who is volunteering needs to understand the health and physical condition requirements of the service project for which they are being recruited, and I need to make sure that the volunteers have an opportunity to disclose any medical conditions that may affect their ability to serve. I will need to keep a record of that as well.

nakman
05-26-2011, 02:49 PM
I can't do 6/26, so I may go up on 6/12 anyway. In fact I was thinking of camping on 6/11 up there, probably one of those sites by the river just after the intersection with that .1 road that connects the high road with the low road.. sorry can't remember the name but you guys probably know what I'm talking about. In fact, that site looks exactly like this:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=20281&stc=1&d=1281496227

Anyone else up for camping? I'd be dragging up a camper, and two kids.. :)

wesintl
05-26-2011, 02:53 PM
man, I got no sleep that night camping next to a raging little stream :o

subzali
05-26-2011, 03:37 PM
I can't do 6/26, so I may go up on 6/12 anyway. In fact I was thinking of camping on 6/11 up there, probably one of those sites by the river just after the intersection with that .1 road that connects the high road with the low road.. sorry can't remember the name but you guys probably know what I'm talking about. In fact, that site looks exactly like this:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=20281&stc=1&d=1281496227

Anyone else up for camping? I'd be dragging up a camper, and two kids.. :)

Well, read through the forms here (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=184085#post184085), and feel free to print off the monitoring form and fill it out and send it back to me so we can get credit for the hours! :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
05-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Sweet pic of the Taco..bumper envy right about now..

nakman
05-26-2011, 04:32 PM
man, I got no sleep that night camping next to a raging little stream :o

Yeah you guys were right up next to it... could always try another spot further up? The higher you go, the smaller the water is.. let's get those kids together for a hot dog! :camping:

rover67
05-26-2011, 05:56 PM
I think I'd be up for camping, sounds fun.

farnhamstj
05-26-2011, 06:34 PM
This is a great family wheeling trip. We brought our kids one year. We get credit with the Forest service per head not per old beer can. Mine ruins are cool, river crossings are fun.

Old40Dog
05-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I'll be camping, but don't know yet who'll be with me.

nakman
05-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Well, read through the forms here (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=184085#post184085), and feel free to print off the monitoring form and fill it out and send it back to me so we can get credit for the hours! :thumb:

Definitely Matt. I'm happy to take the lead on capturing all the hours for anyone who happens to camp 6/11 and "work" 6/12. We can call it a scouting trip for the more official 6/26 crew.

subzali
05-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Definitely Matt. I'm happy to take the lead on capturing all the hours for anyone who happens to camp 6/11 and "work" 6/12. We can call it a scouting trip for the more official 6/26 crew.

Perfect, that'd be great :thumb: I'll keep the CCRD informed.

MDH33
06-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Just an update: Brant and I drove up as far as we could on Saturday, May 28th. The upper road was drifted/snowed in at our "Stay the Trail" sign. We didn't go all the way up the the lower road, but I'm guessing it would also have a lot of snow as it climbs up from the creek. There was a good amount of water flowing and the snow is melting fast. Tons of late melting snow this year. There were a lot of people camping in the spots close to the trailhead, so there's going to be trash to pick up. Thanks to everyone who is volunteering to go up I hope it's melted out at least to Waldorf by the 26th!

:thumb:

nakman
06-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Just an update: Brant and I drove up as far as we could on Saturday, May 28th. The upper road was drifted/snowed in at our "Stay the Trail" sign. We didn't go all the way up the the lower road, but I'm guessing it would also have a lot of snow as it climbs up from the creek. There was a good amount of water flowing and the snow is melting fast. Tons of late melting snow this year. There were a lot of people camping in the spots close to the trailhead, so there's going to be trash to pick up. Thanks to everyone who is volunteering to go up I hope it's melted out at least to Waldorf by the 26th!

:thumb:

Wow, that seems low for snow.. guess we'll see what the next week brings. Anyone else who wants to camp on 6/11 the plan is pretty simple: drive up in the afternoon, find a spot, set up & do camping things. Sunday morning do a little snow run :D and see what kind of drifts we can open up, do our best to assess the area, then pick up trash on our way out.. report back our findings. I hope to get up there by 3:00 on Saturday, will have the radio on. :yagi:

MDH33
06-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Tim, I don't think you'll have any problem finding good camp sites along the lower road, and likely with some built rigs, you'll be able to snow bash all the way to Waldorf if you're up for it. :thumb:

nakman
06-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Tim, I don't think you'll have any problem finding good camp sites along the lower road, and likely with some built rigs, you'll be able to snow bash all the way to Waldorf if you're up for it. :thumb:

If by built rig, you mean a 40 on 34" Swampers, sounds good! :D

MDH33
06-04-2011, 06:04 AM
If by built rig, you mean a 40 on 34" Swampers, sounds good! :D

That would be fun, but I'm working weekends again. Let us know how it goes. :thumb:

bh4rnnr
06-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Wow, that seems low for snow.. guess we'll see what the next week brings. Anyone else who wants to camp on 6/11 the plan is pretty simple: drive up in the afternoon, find a spot, set up & do camping things. Sunday morning do a little snow run :D and see what kind of drifts we can open up, do our best to assess the area, then pick up trash on our way out.. report back our findings. I hope to get up there by 3:00 on Saturday, will have the radio on. :yagi:

Tim,

Was planning on camping up there. I was going to go check out an old mining flume outside of Frisco but will plan on being at Argentine around 3pm.

:beer:

Beater
06-09-2011, 01:57 PM
will be in vegas. no, not getting married

subzali
06-09-2011, 02:20 PM
bummer John, you gave a good safety speech last time. I'll have to try to remember the high points - food, water, sunscreen, sturdy shoes, altitude.

Old40Dog
06-09-2011, 09:22 PM

See ya up there Friday PM Tim! Maiden voyage with the M416 rep trailer with the RTT on 31's. No problem, the "melt" is underway...

MDH33
06-10-2011, 06:07 AM
See ya up there Friday PM Tim! Maiden voyage with the M416 rep trailer with the RTT on 31's. No problem, the "melt" is underway...

Tim, are you heading up Friday or Saturday? I was planning on stopping by on my rounds either late Saturday or early Sunday.

Dave, can't wait to see your finished trailer too!

Old40Dog
06-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Tim, are you heading up Friday or Saturday? I was planning on stopping by on my rounds either late Saturday or early Sunday.

Dave, can't wait to see your finished trailer too!

Change of plans! Something has come up, so can't go this weekend. Still planning on the 25th/26th though.

sank
06-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Ok, you guys getting home from the weekend fun, how did it go?

nakman
06-13-2011, 08:30 AM
We were able to get pretty high up on the lower road, didn't see any snow until after the junction that I mentioned on the prior page. There were multiple Jeeps up there on Saturday bashing through drifts, they got to within about a half mile of meeting back up with the main Argentine pass road, but the last drift was pretty big. We scoped it out on Sunday... all the stuff they took all day bashing through was easy, with water flowing rapidly.. the last drift still pretty big though, it was early and we managed to winch Marco's 60 over it, there were a few more drifts ahead of it so we chose to turn around, rather than to risk getting further stuck up there. But I suspect by next weekend it's clear to the Waldorf mine, by 10:00 it was downright hot feeling, and the snow is melting fast.

The one "closed" road we spent so much time barricading last year, just after the first deep river crossing, has been opened again.. the Adopt-a-Road sigh is nicely in tact, didn't see any other crazy trash items.. though did manage to pick up a few extra cans and bottles from our camp site.

The river crossings where pretty easy, the later in the day, the deeper they'll get. Judging by the rocks that the kids were tossing in the night before at camp, I'd say the level of water changes about 8-10" during the day, it's highest in the evening.. and was flowing pretty fast at night.

nakman
06-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Only other thing that really resonated from the weekend was the people we encountered- everyone was super cool. All the jeep groups talked to us, everyone smiling & waving, some kids on motorcycles camped just up the road would literally idle through our camp.. few folks we met on those Razor golf cart things also super nice- hopefully the public that's up there during the clean up in a couple weeks will be as friendly.

bh4rnnr
06-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Looks like a fun weekend:cool:

Ready to get up there.

subzali
06-13-2011, 10:07 AM
cool, thanks for the report Tim! So the water is overflowing the banks and flowing down the lower road for a bit right now too it looks like?

I forgot about the user-created route you guys blockaded last year; that will mean that we will have more to do than I thought. I'm still hoping that the snow is melted enough in 2 weeks so we can make it up to the Santiago Mine for lunch.

Sounds like we will have to shoot for a late summer/fall cleanup run as well to tie up any loose ends, plan next year's projects, and maybe even have a little more fun exploring!

subzali
06-18-2011, 10:48 AM
see post #1 for meeting time/place details.

Overlander
06-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Could I make it up there in my stock FZJ80 (with lockers) and a decent set of tires? Or is there a good chance I'll bust up my rocker panels trying to get through?!

I suppose I should at least remove the running boards... :)

Jacket
06-18-2011, 07:58 PM
I think you'd do fine. The water crossings are super fun and make it well worth the trip up this time of year. The rest of the drive is just rocky dirt road with great views if you can make up to the mine.

Overlander
06-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I think you'd do fine. The water crossings are super fun and make it well worth the trip up this time of year. The rest of the drive is just rocky dirt road with great views if you can make up to the mine.

Thanks Jacket - we're planning to be there.

subzali
06-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Overlander, you are more than welcome to join us. Only caution about this trail is that there are some narrow sections on the lower road that might give your 80 a little Rocky Mountain pinstriping. But not bad. They're just willows. Oh, there are some mid-sized rocks too, but with some careful tire placement they should be no problem.

Everyone, check the first post again because I just added some more updates. Martin wanted me to add also that sturdy shoes/boots and gloves are required, so rustle some up and bring them with you!

bh4rnnr
06-24-2011, 08:07 AM
I'm planning on camping up there Saturday night. Probably head over there sometime in the afternoon from the property. Will monitor 146.

Overlander
06-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Something came up last minute and we won't be able to go this weekend - catch you all later. Thx

cbmontgo
06-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Has anyone heard of the snow conditions in the last week or so? I'd love to head up and camp tomorrow night at a spot I know, but it is near the tree line.

cbmontgo
06-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm planning on camping up there Saturday night. Probably head over there sometime in the afternoon from the property. Will monitor 146.

Anyone else camping up there Saturday night?

kurtnkegger
06-25-2011, 02:22 PM
My Wife (Carolyn) and I are planning on heading up...Exactly where are we supposed to meet? The highway, or the Ranger Station?

Kurt

MDH33
06-25-2011, 06:14 PM
My Wife (Carolyn) and I are planning on heading up...Exactly where are we supposed to meet? The highway, or the Ranger Station?

Kurt

Since no one else has posted up, lets just skip my plan to meet at the Ranger Station and we'll meet at the trailhead as planned. I'll just have to drive to Georgetown and then back.

MountainGoat
06-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Since no one else has posted up, lets just skip my plan to meet at the Ranger Station and we'll meet at the trailhead as planned. I'll just have to drive to Georgetown and then back.

Sounds fine Martin. I'll be there with Nick Andrews riding shotgun. I told him "No flipflops man." :hill:

nicholasandrews
06-25-2011, 09:58 PM
you know me. i love my sandals and patchouli oil...:D

Sounds fine Martin. I'll be there with Nick Andrews riding shotgun. I told him "No flipflops man." :hill:

subzali
06-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Sorry Martin, I saw your post but wasn't able to respond. I understand what you're saying but I think it's too late to change the game plan. I'll just have the volunteer forms all ready to go and fax them to you when we're done, no problem. Sorry you won't be there, I was really wanting to show some things to some USFS employees because from talking with Brant I don't believe you guys have seen this yet.

Jacket
06-26-2011, 05:21 AM
I went up and over Guanella last weekend, and Martin is right, the curve at Argentine had some heavy equipment and trucks parked there. There was probably room for 6-8 trucks, but could be a problem for a larger group. With some creative parking you may be Ok though.

Jacket
06-26-2011, 07:10 PM
:ranger: