PDA

View Full Version : Triple Bypass 2011 NEW DATE -Aug 20-

wesintl
05-13-2011, 10:38 AM
The 2011 Triple bypass is scheduled for Aug 13th. Camping Dorchester campground fri and sat night. Route - Italian, Pearl, Taylor.

Possible surprise for some light sunday am wheeling if i'm solo in the 70.

Rock Dog
05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
The 2011 Triple bypass is scheduled for Aug 13th. Camping Dorchester campground fri and sat night. Route - Italian, Pearl, Taylor.

Possible surprise for some light sunday am wheeling if i'm solo in the 70.

Missed it last year, so putting on the calendar for this year!
probably squeaking in the runner for this trip...

subzali
05-13-2011, 12:42 PM
I would love to go on this one again. We'll see. I would be up for surprise wheeling too if I can go.

Uncle Ben
05-13-2011, 12:42 PM
I put in on the calendar.....I really like this run but have missed it the last couple years. :( Fingers crossed! :thumb:

ttubb
05-14-2011, 07:35 AM
I am in for sure. Thanks, Wes. :thumb:

Corbet
05-14-2011, 02:59 PM
That would make a hell of a Birthday wheeling day for me. I'm going to try to make it this year

DanS
05-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Just added it to the Calendar here....

Dan

subzali
05-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Never been over Williams Pass or even all the way over Tincup Pass for that matter, only the west side of Tincup...never been up to the east portal of the alpine tunnel either...hm...

Old40Dog
05-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Never been over Williams Pass or even all the way over Tincup Pass for that matter, only the west side of Tincup...never been up to the east portal of the alpine tunnel either...hm...

Matt, looks like you just need to get down there with us and mark a couple of those passes off the "never been there list"! LOL

Planning to be there Wes. This was a ton of fun last year!

ttubb
05-14-2011, 08:20 PM

Matt, are you thinking of the Ghost Town Run? Or maybe just a route to Dorchester......Terry

subzali
05-15-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm just thinking of alternate routes to/from Dorchester Campground so I can bag a couple passes I haven't been able to cross off the list. I don't know what Wes has in mind though for the surprise wheeling, so I don't want to plan ahead of him.

Still have never been over Independence Pass either :doh:

Beater
05-16-2011, 07:51 AM
matt - bring the tundra. we can see who fits the tightest...

subzali
05-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Can't - it's not a REAL 4WD: http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/22530-ticking-noise-2000-cruiser.html#post229080

I don't think my running boards would like me very much, and my paint already doesn't like me after last summer in NM, I'm on the path of penance and by paying a little indulgence will hopefully get my paint back to liking me again after a nice detailing...

ajax
05-17-2011, 02:46 PM
was just uptaylor this weekend lots of snow back there the main road is not even open yet pearl is loaded up worse then taylor will be late summer on both of these, i m going to try and get to taylor pass this weekend i think if i can get my buddy to come out, last 2 years ive made it up by the lakes at this time, Williams might not open at all due to the bog up top

Uncle Ben
05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Can't - it's not a REAL 4WD: http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/22530-ticking-noise-2000-cruiser.html#post229080

I don't think my running boards would like me very much, and my paint already doesn't like me after last summer in NM, I'm on the path of penance and by paying a little indulgence will hopefully get my paint back to liking me again after a nice detailing...

Whats wrong with your "real 4x4?" :bowdown::zilla:

subzali
05-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Whats wrong with your "real 4x4?" :bowdown::zilla:

Nothing that can't be ignored :hill:

FJ40zen
05-28-2011, 09:26 AM
On my calendar and crossing fingers for availability. For those that remember my fuel problems last year :eek:, my new electric fuel pump is working great! :thumb: Getting the old decrepit secondary diaphragm on the carb replaced has also helped. :D

ajax
06-19-2011, 11:53 PM
went up taylor pass this weekend, made it as far as the river started to hit snow u can get out of the river then snow, so i turned around will be awhile,

RockOn
06-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Might have to try and make this one, looks like fun.

ColoCruiserJeff
06-22-2011, 05:20 PM
This looks like a pretty cool run!

Actually went up Tincup this past weekend...still snow stopped me at the top.
Decided to run up Grizzly Lake after that...got 90% to the lake, stopped by the not-so-fluffy stuff about 20 minutes from the lake. Hiked in and did some fishin :)

Next day I ran up / over Cottonwood Pass, camped out at Mirror lake....was the ONLY one camping at the lake. Rockslides and loud coyote/wolf cries all night kept me pretty well close to the sidearm!

Hopefully I can make this run...would like to!

ajax
07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
running up taylor tomorrow i ll try take some pics and get up to the lakes!

ajax
07-02-2011, 11:41 PM
made it to the upper lake started hitting snow, the top is still snowed in bout 20ft tall mound on the uppper road lower road is snowed in before the switch back

ajax
07-03-2011, 01:02 PM
also the river is now harder a big boulder rolled down into the exit if your stock you will have to drive up into the waterfall now, and the exit is more dug out

cool breeze
07-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I've been dying for some mountain passes since I moved here. Not a member of Rising sun but been a mud member for years. Is it cool if we join you all?

Romer
07-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I've been dying for some mountain passes since I moved here. Not a member of Rising sun but been a mud member for years. Is it cool if we join you all?

anyone can join us. In fact you have to attend an event before you can be a member

OilHammer
07-26-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm tentatively in. Got a hall pass from the wife for a couple days away, but we'll see how it shakes out when it rolls around.

Old40Dog
07-26-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm tentatively in. Got a hall pass from the wife for a couple days away, but we'll see how it shakes out when it rolls around.

:twocents: Hope to see you there Barry! Wife is not going this year, but hope to have some of the big kido's with me though! :twocents:

FJ40zen
07-28-2011, 02:18 AM
:beer: Looking more positive for me to make it. Cruiser is done and ready to go. Actually, I am looking forward to it. I may be at Dorchester after dark on Friday night the 12th, but the trip is do-able. I am going topless/bikini & 1/2 doors.

Uncle Ben - you in?

ajax
07-29-2011, 02:33 PM
i c ya again wes prob sat morn, ill try to find out if they r going to open williams, the forest service gives the key to the local club to make the call on when it opens

subzali
08-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I would love to go on this one again. We'll see. I would be up for surprise wheeling too if I can go.

Gonna have to back out of this one...does anyone have a feel for whether Pearl Pass will even open this year?

DanS
08-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Gonna have to back out of this one...does anyone have a feel for whether Pearl Pass will even open this year?

When I flew over it two days ago there were some BIG drifts left in the area. It was just cloudy enough I couldn't find Pearl and Taylor passes, but the area in general didn't (yet) look passable.

I'm still a "maybe." But getting closer... I won't know until next week.

Dan

wesintl
08-02-2011, 03:43 PM
bush ducks said there were some drifts 2 mi from the top aspen side. I might postpone it a week. 3 weeks should be enough to melt it off the road. hopefully

cool breeze
08-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Very cool and thanks for the invite!
Where is the meeting spot for this?

Uncle Ben
08-03-2011, 07:28 AM
:beer: Looking more positive for me to make it. Cruiser is done and ready to go. Actually, I am looking forward to it. I may be at Dorchester after dark on Friday night the 12th, but the trip is do-able. I am going topless/bikini & 1/2 doors.

Uncle Ben - you in?

Not sure....gonna go somewhere that week but that weekend is not looking very friendly. :(

wesintl
08-06-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm going to move this 1 week out due to snow on pearl pass. New Date is AUG 20. I don't know if pearl will be open by then but we'll go 100% anyway.

I'll have a backup plan for some different trails regardless.

ttubb
08-06-2011, 05:25 PM
That would make a hell of a Birthday wheeling day for me. I'm going to try to make it this year

Corbet, now you will have to move your Birthday to the 20th..:D:D

RockOn
08-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Can't do the weekend of the 20th, oh well. Have fun!

wesintl
08-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Sorry, RockOn. Maybe next year. Pearl is still impassable

Per bushducks
8/7/11 - No. We traveled from Crested Butte up the trail up to about .5 miles from the summit. A large snow drift blocked the trail. It was unpassable. We could see the summit easily. FRUSTRATING!!!! Conditions were very good right up until the snow blocking the trail. Creek Crossings were no deeper than 18in. Trail was mostly dry with the exception of some areas with flowing water from snow melt.

I'm hoping it'll be clear by the 20th but that is still questionable. :o

DanS
08-08-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm hoping it'll be clear by the 20th but that is still questionable. :o

Judging from what I can see on other passes that were clearly impassable a week or two ago (at least, from my seat 4 miles above them), they are now entirely free of snow. It's melting fast up there, and while I could find PEarl yesterday (stupid cloud in my way) all of the ridges in the area were clearing up rapidly from what I saw last week.

Dan

Old40Dog
08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the update Wes. I'm on for the 19th-21st.

ajax
08-14-2011, 01:32 PM
talked to my friend and he had some atv ers come in to the shop and say they made it through pearl said it was wide enough u could squeeze a jeep through.. as of this week fri

wesintl
08-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately I don't put much thought on what atv'rs say anymore. maybe they bypassed the road.

BRING YOUR SHOVELS.. we may have to open the pass sat...

8/15/11 - Pearl Pass should be open in a week. From the Aspen side there are two snow fields still covering the rode. We were able to stay on the trail passing over the snow, and crest the summit. From the top, the Crested Butte side still has snow blocking the summit about 200 yds from the top. It could be cleared with a little effort and a shovel. We saw in one switch back where drivers were leaving the road to bypass snow, and driving through delicate tundra. Please be responsible and stay on the road. This will help prevent trail closings, and we can continue to enjoy our back country trails.

wesintl
08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm leaving Fri 9am. and i may piddle around BV or Salida and go over tincup. I'll be on 146.460

Sat 8am leave sharp Italian, pearl, taylor in that order. Be prepared for a fast paced trip with either a very late lunch or none at all (in you truck moving)

CB-4 Ham 146.580

Camp at dorchester fri and sat.

Sun cumberland to alpine tunnel and over williams if it's open. (one of the things I might be doing friday)

Bring a shovel in case of snow.

This rig is always awesome to see
http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passphotos_2011.htm#pearl1

Caribou Sandstorm
08-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Wes that is a great site for tracking when passes are open and conditions, nice post.

Probably why you check there..

Corbet
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
have a great time guys. I'm in Ohio this weekend:( and can't make it.

ajax
08-16-2011, 02:58 PM
did williams it is open it is very tight now climbing the gunny side be prepared for lots of pinstripping, and i d ont think you could get a stock cruiser through with out banging the bottom the mud bogs were not bad at all just some big wet rock to get through on the climb up

wesintl
08-16-2011, 03:08 PM
cool, that will save me some time. Thanks ryan. Sounds like williams. I thought the pinstriping was tight on my 70. you 80 behemoths defiantly be prepared for heavy striping

Just remember Williams is only open in Aug so you chance to run it is very limited. you also want a diesel with you to keep the skeeters at bay ;)

there you have it. If you could see my cruiser stripped down in the garage you wouldn't think i'm going wheelin fri :D

who's in?

subzali
08-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Wes, let's see pics of the teardown :D

ttubb
08-16-2011, 04:32 PM
did williams it is open it is very tight now climbing the gunny side be prepared for lots of pinstripping, and i d ont think you could get a stock cruiser through with out banging the bottom the mud bogs were not bad at all just some big wet rock to get through on the climb up

Ajax, check your private messages....Terry

ajax
08-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Terry let me know i pm ya, i might be able to do 2morrow afternoon or thurs

FJ40zen
08-16-2011, 08:03 PM
:campfire:

I will be leaving Fort Collins around 3PM Friday. Hope the D-city traffic is not heavy. :gaah:

PhatFJ
08-16-2011, 09:44 PM
I am planning on leaving Friday 4-5:00am, have not decided if I am pulling the 40 or driving it up. Kinda depends on if my co-pilot is going along, if so, I may be leaving to come home early Sunday..

ttubb
08-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Ryan (Ajax) and I went up Pearl today to shovel snow. We cleaned out the main slide, however there is a small area that will likely be melted just up the road from where we were working. Two hours of shoveling snow at 12,000 feet will get you in shape fast!
Should be good to go for Saturday's run. Terry and Ryan. :beer:

Uncle Ben
08-17-2011, 06:57 PM
You guys are too :cool: :thumb::thumb::bowdown::bowdown:

Old40Dog
08-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm planning on leaving around noon Friday from the office. Hope to be in camp in time for dinner. Whatcha planning on for dinner Wes? :lmao: :beer::beer::beer: U-no-U gotta start off the camp portion of thre run correctly.........

wesintl
08-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Awesome! Thank you Terry and Ryan!

Rig is lookin good ryan :)

Dave, beer and something with beer :lmao:

FJ40zen
08-17-2011, 11:06 PM
You guys are the best. Terry, are you driving the Marmot this weekend?

Groucho
08-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Ryan (Ajax) and I went up Pearl today to shovel snow. We cleaned out the main slide, however there is a small area that will likely be melted just up the road from where we were working. Two hours of shoveling snow at 12,000 feet will get you in shape fast!
Should be good to go for Saturday's run. Terry and Ryan. :beer:

You can always count on Terry getting into areas early. So glad you're a great member of RS, Terry!

ttubb
08-18-2011, 11:04 AM
You can always count on Terry getting into areas early. So glad you're a great member of RS, Terry!

You are too kind, Nathaniel. This is a great group of folks and I always enjoy their company.

I hope you will consider leading the Ghost Town runs again in the future. That was one of my favorites!

PhatFJ
08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Great job guys!!! :thumb: :thumb:. I am leaving now, I will see you up there on Friday...

Phat

ajax
08-18-2011, 10:15 PM
just glad i could help dont think ill make the run going to be scouting for elk out in the westelk wilderness have fun

wesintl
08-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Wes, let's see pics of the teardown :D

nothin special bro. I just had the whole interior ripped out to put in 4 speakers and a head unit. You know it's going to be a long process when you pull out spark-o-matic speakers. F'n PO's I cleaned up all the wiring. sounds good for $200. I haven't had working tunes in it for probably 7 years. Just the sweet songs from the 3B:eek: