PDA

View Full Version : WTB 8/84-1/90 FJ60 Driveshaft Yoke

Rzeppa
05-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Well, our new-to-us FJ60 had a couple of known issues, and when I first inspected it I mentioned to the seller that the rear u-joint on the front drive
shaft was worn and would need replacing. In negotiation, that helped bring a discount from the asking price.

So I ordered in a new u-joint from Stevinson (spider kit in Toyota Vernacular) and prepared to replace it this afternoon. One of the interesting things I did not know about 60s is that the bolts for the companion flange where they come out of the the nose cone of the t-case are stakes in place. Kind of like studs. And whoever put the nuts on there before me decided that if 40 foot pounds was good, then 100 foot pounds would be better.

After fishing out the 1.5 foot cheater bar to slip over the wrench they finally were loosened. Similar but not as bad were the front ones which were more conventional nuts/washers/bolts for the front where it bolted to the companion flange.

After getting the entire front driveshaft off I set about cleaning it up in the parts sink. It was pretty grungy and took about an hour with steel brushes and solvent and then compressed air to reveal the parts. Then I saw that the yoke on the side that had the loose u-joint had a crack.

Well, no big deal I thought, I have a whole bunch of spares in the closet. 5 actually, 2 from 3 speed vintages and 3 from 4 speed vintages but none of them match the bolt pattern. A quick check on SOR shows that this particular bolt pattern was specific from 8-84 through 1/90. They want $35 for a used one.

So does anyone have a 8/84-1/90 driveshaft yoke I could buy off you?

Thanks and happy cruisin'!

rover67
05-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Jeff, I may have what you need. Is it the square pattern or the rectangular one?

Rzeppa
05-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Jeff, I may have what you need. Is it the square pattern or the rectangular one?

Rectangular

MDH33
05-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi Jeff, if Marco doesn't have what you need, I'm pretty sure I have a couple. I've been looking for some 4 speed FJ40 driveshafts too, so maybe we could swap some parts?

Rzeppa
05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I just measured and the bolt pattern is square at 65mm, while the yoke itself is rectangular. Quite an optical illusion!

Rzeppa
05-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Hi Jeff, if Marco doesn't have what you need, I'm pretty sure I have a couple. I've been looking for some 4 speed FJ40 driveshafts too, so maybe we could swap some parts?

I have a couple spares Martin, 2 with 4 speed ends and 3 with 3 speed ends (maybe the other way around?). I had given a couple to Chris Hatfield, too. If he sells his 40 and the buyer doesn't want them they might be back in the Rising Sun family.

rover67
05-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeah the earlier 60's had a rectangular pattern.

Anyways, I have a few shafts to choose from.

Two rears: one rebuilt and ready to go, and one stock used one I got from a parting out rig. I also have a rebuilt front driveshaft. It is the non CV type and is the stock length.

Everything has the later square pattern and the correct length for the 4 speed with spacer.

The front shaft is ready to go if you are interested in it, and the rear stock used shaft would be a good one to take for parts if you want to rebuild what you have.

Let me know, I am not heading your way for a little while but I am sure we could figure something out.

-Marco