PDA

View Full Version : CM11 Feedback

Air Randy
05-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Well, we have another fun and succesful Cruise Moab behind us. The CM11 committee will soon begin the "lessons learned" process of reviewing what went well this year and where we can improve for the future. Our first meeting for that purpose will be this Wednesday night.

Please provide your honest feedback and suggestions here or directly to a committee member.

Let me start it off with my thoughts:

Vendor night at SRCG worked well, plenty of room, easy access, no driving required (keeping in mind all of the free beer given away :D).

The dinner was excellent and the tent/Archway location was good except we shouldn't advertise it as being within close walking distance. Since there was so much space for parking available lets make sure folks know how far it is and can drive to it unless they really like long hikes (especially if they have to carry raffle prizes back). I thought the bathrooms we had setup there worked well.

I felt like the raffle went well, we finished exactly on schedule. It's always nice to have more/better prizes but I thought we had pretty nice stuff this year.

SRCG worked OK for me with the usual caveats that the bathrooms are functional but nothing to brag about AND the cottonwood fuzz is a pain and we know it is a real fire risk :eek: when it accumulates in quantity.

Tech inspection seemed to go well and the trail runs were excellent as usual.

I think if we decide to stay at SRCG next year we should consider signing a contract with the campground owners where we pay them to bring in additional portable bathroom/shower units and/or increase the cleaning/stocking of the existing bathrooms.

I'm not sure how we avoid the cottonwood fuzz without moving the event earlier, which then puts us at greater risk for cold/rainy/snowy weather. It was fantastic that we had warm, sunny weather all week this year. Any chance of moving it a week or two later than when we did it this year, or does that put us outside our permit limitations?

If we want to consider going back to BFE next year, lets try to do it without simply passing on the considerable infrstructure cost to the participants. We should consider major sponsor financial support and subcontracting all of the infrastructure setup/operation/teardown via contract with the owners of BFE. They have offered to provide this service. I think if you start early enough, put it in a formal contract where they don't get paid unless they perform, you can ensure a quality setup without placing 100% of the burden on committee members and volunteers.

Jacket
05-16-2011, 11:23 AM
I didn't get a chance to enjoy the dinner/raffle, but I did at least drive over there before we spent 5 hours in the ER. It was reasonably close, but I still feel like a true on-site dinner should be our goal. Driving to the Bar M sucked, and I'm glad that's behind us. But even driving a 1/2 mile - 1 mile down the road puts us at risk for drinking and driving issues, and makes it harder for families to participate in the full dinner and raffle.

I thought the canvas bag was a great idea, as was the water bottle. I thought the printed booklet with maps was cool, although if it was costly I'd question the value since so many people have maps, gps's and other tools for routing finding. But as a marketing brochure, I enjoyed flipping through it.

And going back to Slickrock reminded me how much I hate that place. If I can drink enough and pass out it's fine, but the family is pretty close to bowing out because it's not conducive to getting a good night sleep, and it's just too crammed in there. I definitely provides some advantages for the overall event, but keeping my wife and kids happy in that place is getting harder and harder.

Red_Chili
05-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Randy, I concur with all your observations. The dinner was superb and the raffle time was just right. Years past it has seemed way too long, but not the last couple of years, and this time was perfect!

Though a drive, it was close and offered the possibility of walking (or that failing, truck-pooling). Moving it to SRCG would have been an unattractive option.

I am personally done with SRCG. I miss being around everyone, but that's about it. BFE is just too far from town for me. Moab restaurants or attractions are part of the draw. The perfect combo would be the overnighter, followed by motelling it. Getting old I guess.

There are other options but I know folks have looked into them without success? What about two adjoining ior close camp or cabin locations? There are motels nearby so I guess I've found a personal solution.

It probably could be added to tech, to ask the driver if s/he is aware of any mechanical issues that could compromise reliability. Then pursue helping them fix it?

FJBRADY
05-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I thought it was well done. Catering the dinner was the best thing that came out of last years event and was well received this year. The raffle had great pace and never got boring.

As for SRCG we did not stay there so I can not comment, but we stopped by several times and the vendor night was well attended.

Saw a attendee drive better on Sat than on Thursday, job well done:thumb: And no it was not me......

Jacket
05-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Catering the dinner was the best thing that came out of last years event

Thanks. Finding Nick might be my only lasting legacy :)

Hulk
05-16-2011, 01:53 PM
The dinner and giant tent in the Archway Inn parking lot were absolutely fantastic. It was super close to Slickrock Campground. It was a great atmosphere and the raffle went off nicely. The meal was decent, too, although I remember the food being better last year.

One thing that I was disappointed by was that the shirt size I had pre-ordered for my son was no longer available when I showed up to check in Thursday afternoon (I was on the overnight run so I checked in late). It seems like we should pull the shirts for people who pre-order so they get the sizes they paid for.

I also think Stephen Rudy is an awesome ambassador of the club. Time after time, people stopped by to ask about changing trails. He dealt with each one of them cheerfully. The Trail Boss is a tough job, but dealing with it in such a friendly manner makes everyone's experience at CM just that much better.

The one thing we could do for Slickrock would be to pay for additional cleanings. I'm betting they clean the bathrooms once a day. If we paid for 3 cleanings a day, they would be much, much better.

I hate the cotton with a passion. If it wasn't for the cotton and the dirty bathrooms, Slickrock Campground would be ideal.

Dr. Schlegs
05-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Input it always welcome. I will be passing out the sheet around again for people that are interested in being on the 2012 CM committee, next general meeting. If you want to have a fingerprint on CM history and attempt to make this event better, please sign up. New blood breeds new ideas. There will be an election for CM12 Committee Chair.

I want to have the CM12 meetings start sooner rather than later so things are not being done in haste and there is fewer 11th hour changes. Olaf from area BFE wants to come to the first meeting of the CM12 committee to make a bid to have CM return to area BFE. I stress this is only a bid for our attention, nothing has been locked in.

I personally can see the point of the cottonwoods, being a pain (I was picking some out of my teeth with every drink of my beer). However, when you are camping you never know that you will get. The bathrooms are fair, but do need to be stocked better.

Red_Chili
05-16-2011, 02:18 PM
+1 for Rude Boy. An entirely undeserved nick name!!

pskhaat
05-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Moving back to Denver last year, I'm looking forward to participating more with Rising Sun in the near future.

I did, however, get a last-minute opportunity (thank you) to formally participate. Being mostly away from CM/RS for 8 years I can very clearly say this year's CM was one of the best I had ever attended. +1 on kudos to Rudy.

Sorry, but SRCG is akin to a detention center. That place would rock if I had a camper (I don't) and the family did not come out. My wife and fam will never return to SRGC from past experience, and I'd like them be able to enjoy it too. It is not Cruise Moab's fault, it's just a tight and dirty fit in there.

I'm not necessarily/personally suggesting this, but renting a large HQ location and allowing folks to determine their own lodging is something I've heard lots of folks (mostly spouses actually) mumble over the years. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy more brews than I should for sure, but keeping it localized to facilitate safe drinking should be the goal?

There are never easy and agreeable answers to these and I applaud everyone who planned and organized this. If I could be of any help next year in assisting, I would be honored to do so, look forward to more.

FJBRADY
05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks. Finding Nick might be my only lasting legacy :)

Probably right. :drumsticks:

Air Randy
05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Throwing out some ideas as food for thought and further discussion:

Make a deal with Archway to rent their dirt area for the duration of the event. Make the tent a little (maybe a lot) bigger (there was tons of room) and set up registration, tech inspection and vendor night there too. Have the porta-johns there the entire time the tent is present. The committee could rent a few rooms or a even a small conference room at Archway. You could possibly even do the registration inside and have the trail boss event HQ there. That would make it easy to lock up stuff at the end of each day.

That way some folks could just stay at Archway, thats the incentive for Archway to give us good rates, etc. We make it the "official" hotel for CM and maybe they give special room rates for folks who book in advance.

That way everyone can decide to either stay at Archway (or some other hotel) camp at SRCG or camp in some wilderness area. It would still be a quick drive over to event HQ for anyone not staying at Archway (committee members, volunteers, participants, etc) from just about any where except BFE or other remote campsites.

Jacket
05-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Probably right. :drumsticks:

Ouch.

Air Randy
05-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Make a deal with Archway to rent their dirt area for the duration of the event. Make the tent a little (maybe a lot) bigger (there was tons of room) and set up registration, tech inspection and vendor night there too. Have the porta-johns there the entire time the tent is present. The committee could rent a few rooms or a even a small conference room at Archway. You could possibly even do the registration inside and have the trail boss event HQ there. That would make it easy to lock up stuff at the end of each day.

That way some folks could just stay at Archway, thats the incentive for Archway to give us good rates, etc. We make it the "official" hotel for CM and maybe they give special room rates for folks who book in advance.

That way everyone can decide to either stay at Archway (or some other hotel) camp at SRCG or camp in some wilderness area. It would still be a quick drive over to event HQ for anyone not staying at Archway (committee members, volunteers, participants, etc) from just about any where except BFE or other remote campsites.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
The dinner and giant tent in the Archway Inn parking lot were absolutely fantastic. It was super close to Slickrock Campground. It was a great atmosphere and the raffle went off nicely. The meal was decent, too, although I remember the food being better last year.

One thing that I was disappointed by was that the shirt size I had pre-ordered for my son was no longer available when I showed up to check in Thursday afternoon (I was on the overnight run so I checked in late). It seems like we should pull the shirts for people who pre-order so they get the sizes they paid for.

I also think Stephen Rudy is an awesome ambassador of the club. Time after time, people stopped by to ask about changing trails. He dealt with each one of them cheerfully. The Trail Boss is a tough job, but dealing with it in such a friendly manner makes everyone's experience at CM just that much better.

The one thing we could do for Slickrock would be to pay for additional cleanings. I'm betting they clean the bathrooms once a day. If we paid for 3 cleanings a day, they would be much, much better.

I hate the cotton with a passion. If it wasn't for the cotton and the dirty bathrooms, Slickrock Campground would be ideal.

X2 on what Matt said about the shirts but for the sweatshirts, I had orderd a large and by the time I go there on Thursday after the over nighter, my size sweatshirt was no longer available. I was kind of bummed the shirts were 50/50..

We did not get to eat either due to kid related stuff, but when we all rallied, the dinner/raffle looked like a hit.

The Archway playground was a key!!

We stayed at the Moab Springs Condos accross the street from Slick Rock campground.. very nice but we had our share of coton wood issues also, so not sure you can get away from that.t

Man, I stand corrected, I was totally against Vendor night being at SRCG but it rocked! As did the entire event, you all really hit it out of the park this year!

Way to go committee!

How about 3 overnighters to choose from next year? Seems even with 2 they sold out fast..

sleeoffroad
05-16-2011, 04:59 PM

I ordered more of every size of shirts to cover all the pre-sold shirts as well as having extra to sell. However obviously not as many in the kids sizes.

I think we must have spaced the overnight run people. Out of sight out of mind.

It was my first year with merchandise and I learned a lot. I hope people enjoyed the colors as well as new long sleeve T's.

Things learned. This should be added to the list.

1. Get shirts earlier and pack welcome packets for overnight people.
2. Woman's shirts were very small for their sized. Check what Matt ordered last time and go back to that style.

For the record I am done with SRCG. It was not a fun experience to stay in that POS. I have a motorhome and I don't have to deal with the bathrooms, but the cottonwoods and worms does not make for a fun camping experience.

I am all for BFW and have them put the infrastructure in for a fee.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-16-2011, 05:03 PM

This is how they do it at the FJSummit in Ouray. Really might be helpful to see this event by a few CM12 committee members. Vendors pop-ups stay set up the entire event. They are out playing all day with attendees but at the end of the day, they are their to show their stuff. It is a great meeting place where folks meander about and then they have 3 nights of food included...Presentations under the tent in the evening, etc..So this is the place to be. I am not saying do CM like the FJSummit but it might give ideas for future CM plans.

art hog
05-16-2011, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Sandstorm 4Rnr;183269] I was kind of bummed the shirts were 50/50..

The shirts were 50/50 because of the color, NAVY HEATHER the only way to get that color effect is by adding polyester. Not fun to print on either. Nice color though.

Uncle Ben
05-16-2011, 05:14 PM
I was kind of bummed the shirts were 50/50..

50/50 is a plus not a negative, in my opinion. I wear t-shirts everyday and 100% cotton shrinks with every wash so after just a few washings cotton T's become half shirts! Not a good visual I'm sure!

FJBRADY
05-16-2011, 05:44 PM
I am with Davis on this one "Cotton is the fabric of our life" we must be the fashonistas of the group.

Romer
05-16-2011, 06:30 PM
there were no staff XL shirts.

I missed the dinner and raffle because I had I got sick and went home.

The cotton seemed much worse this year than years past. I am thinking of picking another campground for myself nearby in the future that doesnt have cotton and driving over. Gary likes the Portal, maybe I will go there.

Good suggestion up above, maybe find two campgrounds that are real clsoe to each other and have the other stuff at the Archway

we hadnt had an election for a CM Committee chair before. We took volunteers and the committe members selected the chairperson. Why the change?

xodeuce
05-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Kudos to all of the committee, leaders, gunners, vendors, sponsors, etc. who put together a great event. :bowdown: This was my first CM, and I had a blast.

I'll echo the couple of negatives on SRCG. I've been in quite a few campgrounds, and while I understand that the dirt out there is just dusty, there were still other things that left a bit to be desired. I'd be hard pressed getting my wife and soon to be kid to come out and stay there for sure. Restocking the bathrooms would go a long way though.

The trail leadership and gunning was top notch. It was a blast to ride right in front of DougDad at the back of the pack the first two days. He was always there with tips to help my driving, and always with a really helpful spirit. I really appreciated him giving me spots via the radio as I was going over obstacles. Turns out my truck has more clearance than I thought it did :)

The dinner and raffle were great. Hal and I had a great time selling tickets before hand, even if we were a little bit slow at it being first timers. It was a fun way to meet a bunch of folks really quickly. I was hoping that 1650 miles was good for the iron butt, but it certainly didn't even come CLOSE to 2500 ;)

I've only had experience putting vehicles through tech for SCCA Autocross and track day type events, so tech seemed pretty laid back to me. That's more of an observation than criticism though, as it seemed everyone was pretty honest about their rigs.

Vendor night was really fun as well. For an offroading newbie it was cool to see a lot of products being demonstrated that I'd only read about online before. It became immediately apparent why the ARB valve core deflator was worth $40. It was also cool to meet the guys from Metal Tech in person after having gotten really good phone support when I purchased my suspension components from them.
Oh, and there was the free, cold, :beer:. That always goes a long way in my book ;).

One suggestion. As a first timer, It'd be really cool to have a "Newbie's Corner" or something like that. I would envision maybe 30 minutes for people who have only done one other event, or no other events, to get some insight from some of the veterans. There were some things I learned out on the trail that were great tips, that if I'd picked up before hand may not have delayed the group some. I don't know how some folks would perceive it though, maybe make it optional. I know I can be one to ask too many questions instead of just going and doing.

Overall, it was a wonderful trip with a couple of good friends, and it was great to meet a bunch of new people too.

-Keith

sleeoffroad
05-16-2011, 07:22 PM
there were no staff XL shirts.

No shirts, or no shirts left? Pretty sure I arranged for those to be printed.

Dr. Schlegs
05-16-2011, 07:28 PM
CM Committee will elect their chair, not the RS general membership.

Romer
05-16-2011, 09:43 PM

Wednesday there were no XL shirts for staff. No one was able to find any

CM Committee will elect their chair, not the RS general membership.

thanks for the clarification Kevin

art hog
05-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Final count on staff shirts were 12-M 20-L and 12-XL. They were there some where. all the boxes were marked with the count and contents. Managing the t-shirts was what I was planning to volunteer for at CM. It is easy to get this out of control, It's allot of shirts. Also getting a final total AFTER the event at the event and organizing that. Sorry I could not make it this year

Romer
05-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Final count on staff shirts were 12-M 20-L and 12-XL. They were there some where. all the boxes were marked with the count and contents. Managing the t-shirts was what I was planning to volunteer for at CM. It is easy to get this out of control, It's allot of shirts. Also getting a final total AFTER the event at the event and organizing that. Sorry I could not make it this year

There were M, L and lots of 2XL staff shirts, no XLs

art hog
05-16-2011, 11:34 PM
There were M, L and lots of 2XL staff shirts, no XLs

I had someone folding, counting and boxing for me. I will have to look in to it.

MDH33
05-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Another great CM. Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen. :thumb:

Even though Slickrock is dirty and congested, it fits the bill for the event and having everyone close by for hanging out is nice. I stayed in a condo with my wife and daughter this year, and although it was clean and nice, I felt disconnected from the event and didn't do any socializing. I probably won't be bringing the fam again, so staying in Slickrock myself isn't so bad.

My only suggestions:

If the booklet with maps, trail meeting places and Ham/CB channels is done again, make sure the locations for the meetup are correct. I almost missed my Friday run because both the directions and the Ham channel were incorrect in the book.

I liked the tent and raffle dinner at Archway. The food was better than Bar M, and the close proximity was nice. I was just wondering why the tent sides weren't opened wide from the start. It was Hot, Dusty and loud in there.

RockRunner
05-17-2011, 11:00 PM
I liked the tent and raffle dinner at Archway. The food was better than Bar M, and the close proximity was nice. I was just wondering why the tent sides weren't opened wide from the start. It was Hot, Dusty and loud in there.

Unfortunately the committee members were all up front doing the raffle and both sides of the tent were open upfront. Once someone mentioned it to us myself and somebody else opened the sides. When we were setting up it wasn't bad at all but stick another 200+ people under the tent and the heat rises, something learned for next year.

T

JadeRunner
05-18-2011, 09:04 AM
I also told myself I wouldn't camp at slickrock again because of the cotton and worm cocoons. I just sent a good hour or so cleaning them all out of my big tent. We found ourselves escaping SRCG after the runs to the area out past Fins and Things to hangout and hike around till dinner. Some of those side roads out there are quite nice.

Other than that I thought the event rocked. We will plan to camp at BFE next time or dispersed camping somewhere if I can scout it out before hand. BFE would be more social since there are always CM people camping out there.

brentbba
05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
As a first timer to CruiseMoab I had a blast. 2182 total miles driven were well worth it.

I agree with many of the observations of xoduece as a fellow first timer.

Starting with SRCG - found it ok. Done enough primitive camping that the facilities at camp were fine for me by myself. Loved the jacuzzi for therapy for a pulled back muscle! Found the sites themselves very, very cramped. Cottonwood was a PITA and still picking the worm pods off things as I find them, but tis the season depending on the weather. As a newbie, obviously didn't experience the area BFE last year, but I did like being close to town at SRCG.

It would have been nice having everyone at the same place to see and meet people but totally understand some wanting to camp and others in a hotel/condo. Idea of everyone on the dirt by Archway is an intriguing one.

Vendor night was extremely fun as a newbie getting to meet vendors I've dealt with over the phone, internet, etc.

Raffle and dinner were just fine. Food was good and pace of the raffle was just fine too.

As newbie, while I did find all the trailhead meeting places, the directions were sketchy not being familiar with the area, especially the missing waterpark for Metal Masher IIRC! :rant:

The idea of a newbie drivers meeting aside or in addition to the general drivers meeting is a nice idea for add'l info etc for first timers. Tech inspection was very well handled as was general check in by all the great volunteers.

Huge kudos to the committee in general and to Steve for managing the trail assignments and last minute requests for changes. You all put in a lot of work planning this event so we participants can enjoy ourselves.

Even bigger kudos to the trail bosses and tail gunners. Hugh and Kelly (tip toe behind the rocks), Neil (metal masher) and especially Robbie (kane creek) were all just exceptional. I learned so much about the truck, what it's capable of and even more about driving the obstacles from Robbie. I can't thank each of you enough for your time, patience and expertise! :cheers:

A special note to Kelly on the awesome stainless steel wine glass she was imbibing from vs my little plastic cup! Must have for a camping wino! Found them online and they are on the way to SoCal! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

To Ken and Rachel Romer - :thumb:

Corbet
05-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I recommend moving HQ to Aarchway Inn's parking lot next year over SRCG. Registraiton, Tech, Vendor Night, & Raffle Dinner all in the same spot. Maybe they would let some committee members with campers set up for the duration of the event if they choose. I found working with them to be easy and they welcomed us there.

I would also do BFE again in a heartbeat but recognize its not for everyone.

SRCG - not again for me. enough said. If it were half the price maybe.

Vendor Night went of with only one hitch. Would be easier at Aarchway to organize.

I thought Nick did a great job again this year. He said he did well with concessions inside the campground. I also continue to get positive feedback from vendors who attended.

I have a few other ideas but will save them for the post CM committee meeting before posting to the public.

corsair23
05-18-2011, 11:19 PM
...but the cottonwoods and worms does not make for a fun camping experience.

The funny thing is, one of my kid's favorite things to do at SRCG is collect the caterpillars, go figure :rolleyes:

I didn't get to attend CM11 :( but I recall CM07, my first year, and being amazed at the cotton piled up like snow. Sounds like this year was a lot like that year.

We liked Area BFE a lot aside from the distance from town/runs and the damage done to the popup camper getting in/out of there.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-19-2011, 02:09 PM
We were at one of the nicest condo's in town and we had just as much cotton and caterpillars as SRCG..not sure of any local town spot might be different.

Our kids loved the caterpillars, also.

No cotton in BFE, to my recollection.. The later time frame might even be more pleasant in BFE in the afternoons..but the distance is a factor.

Inukshuk
05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
This was year 8 for me. Slickrock campground works the best. Yeah, its kinda dumpy, but different every ytear. When we used BFE it snowed - a lot! When we used Spanish Trails it was super hot and I could not get a spot so I way next to the highway at the KOA. When some guys stayed at a condo years ago they said they felt disconnected from the group. Sometimes it rains during CM and then the cabin is nice. This year the weather was perfect and a tent would have been great. Some years have no cotton and this year it was like the Colorado snow. BFE was a ton of work for the CM Committee. Slickrock is much easier. RS members have looked at every campground in Moab, none fit the bill better.

The bottom line is that the Slickrock Campground works. Heck, a cabin nearly burns down (next to mine) and management not only doesn't even show up, they have it already rented out the next day (though those people mysteriously only stayed one night, go figure).

I go to CM for the people, rigs and trails. I go elsewhere (and frequently) for remote camping and nice hotels.

Overall - this was a top notch CM! (even with the wrong meeting spot we found everyone for Chicken Corners using the supplied cellphone list and HAMs - well, Martin found us but his cell was off :)

ScaldedDog
05-19-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm not the most social of animals, and I don't care a thing about camping, so I stay at a hotel in town. CM is all about the wheeling for me, and this was a great one. My only suggestion is clearer directions to the meeting spots. A specific address would be perfect, assuming it's one that shows up on Google maps.

For us townies, BFE is a pain in the neck. I was only in the camp one time, though, so it's not that big a deal.

Mark

Rock Dog
05-19-2011, 11:20 PM

We never found any XL staff shirts..

Rock Dog
05-20-2011, 12:09 AM
This was year 8 for me. Slickrock campground works the best. Yeah, its kinda dumpy, but different every ytear. When we used BFE it snowed - a lot! When we used Spanish Trails it was super hot and I could not get a spot so I way next to the highway at the KOA. When some guys stayed at a condo years ago they said they felt disconnected from the group. Sometimes it rains during CM and then the cabin is nice. This year the weather was perfect and a tent would have been great. Some years have no cotton and this year it was like the Colorado snow. BFE was a ton of work for the CM Committee. Slickrock is much easier. RS members have looked at every campground in Moab, none fit the bill better.

The bottom line is that the Slickrock Campground works. Heck, a cabin nearly burns down (next to mine) and management not only doesn't even show up, they have it already rented out the next day (though those people mysteriously only stayed one night, go figure).

I go to CM for the people, rigs and trails. I go elsewhere (and frequently) for remote camping and nice hotels.

Overall - this was a top notch CM! (even with the wrong meeting spot we found everyone for Chicken Corners using the supplied cellphone list and HAMs - well, Martin found us but his cell was off :)

I have read through the posts, and will start by saying:
- the meeting spots printed in the booklet were from 2010 when we were at Area BFE and were not correct. This will be addressed.

- The Cotton is based on the Heat. the warmer the worse it is. Some years the cotton is light, other years very heavy. Our event is normally over the first full weekend in May. Some years that puts us at the last few days of April beginning of May, or like this year on Mothers day weekend. The first few days there was almost no cotton, and then Wham!!!

- We are not the only event trying to get permits and accomadations for late April/early May. For example the Hot Rod show is generally the week before our event (a week difficult to find good accomadations for a reasonable price).. The week after ours is generally permitted to other large offroad groups. Similiar to Easter Jeep Safari, our long time permit and work with the the various agencies we must get permits from, allow us to be fortunate enough to have the week we do every year!

- SlickRock campground is not the greatest accomadations, but they are close in town, and have historically let us work on vehicles late into the night to repair them. In the past this was not the case in other campgrounds we attempted to use. I heard several campgrounds as options mentioned, but being able to repair vehicles is a critera when looking for a venue that should still be considered....

And BIG BIG KUDOS to Mr. Steve Rudy as Trail Boss with a SMILE!!! always positive and, he put in a TON of hours doing whatever he could (his Dad Rocked as well!).. Not to mention all the work he put in prior to the event!

pskhaat
05-20-2011, 09:52 AM
- We are not the only event trying to get permits and accomadations for late April/early May.

I think that time of year is perfect. If we go any later we run a greater chance of severe heat. On the other hand, April (EJS-timeframe) is generally a better weather week as Moab always seems to get some weather around the beginning of May.

bumpitorcrawlit
05-20-2011, 10:04 AM
This was my second Cruise Moab and I have some thoughts.

Campground:

I saw no extra effort being made by the staff from slickrock camground. THey seemed to care very little that we were there and many of the facilities were run down and in a state of disrepair. I like to spend my money in places where people make it easy for me to hand it to them and make an effort to have me be there.

The cottonwood pollen is most likely going to occur anywhere that there is shade. I appreciated the shade and dealt with the pollen. At BFE we would have had little shade and but no pollen. Every campground in Moab with shade would have had the pollen. Personally I will go to another campground with smiling staff and decent facilities.

Trails:

The best part of the weekend. Let's get the meeting places sorted out on printed material. Loved the booklet with the maps. I thought that was fantastic. We did have a trail leader who was less than enthusiastic about leading a trail and didn't seem to care if people on the trail new it. I am not interested in attending a run that he is leading in the future. He just did all that he was supposed to do. Ray as always was very enthusiastic and enjoyable to be around but also did a great job taking care of his duties.

Volunteers/volunteering:

It always comes up that there are more volunteers needed and that everything seems to fall into the arms of "the commitee". Not sure who those people are.

After 3 attempts at volunteering I finally gave up. Initially I filled out the volunteer form in the online registration, it could not be sent with registration. I printed...........scanned it.........then sent it via email. I found out later it was recieved but then got lost. I made contacts via the forum about volunteering a few times and even emailed a person who I think might have been the trail boss,......................I don't know, it was never very clear. I felt like I had something to offer based on my carreer path, and even sent a resume. I recall the post for trail leaders was moved to a different location in the "members" section. I am not a member and heard nothing further.

I have worked with volunteers for 20yrs in the outdoor recreation industry and have some ideas on how to recruit/employ/reward volunteers but will not waste forum space on that topic. I would be interested in hearing from someone if my help is needed. Overall my general impression is that if one is not a "member" or on the "committee" then, one is not needed. Right or wrong, that is the impression I got.

I will certainly attend Cruise Moab in the future. Overall I love the event and will make my own adjustments to make the experience better for me. I consider this my last effort to volunteer. I hope I hear from somebody. I would even volunteer to be the volunteer coordinator.

Thank you for every effort you make in putting on this event!! I hope to see some of you out on the trail in the future.

Doug Olson
Norwood Co.

FJBRADY
05-20-2011, 10:43 AM
I will certainly attend Cruise Moab in the future. Overall I love the event and will make my own adjustments to make the experience better for me. I consider this my last effort to volunteer. I hope I hear from somebody. I would even volunteer to be the volunteer coordinator.

Thank you for every effort you make in putting on this event!! I hope to see some of you out on the trail in the future.

Doug Olson
Norwood Co.

Doug, I do not think I had the pleasure of meeting you this year, but I would like the opportunity to meet with you. I hope you will be part of the event next year in some capacity because from your post it looks like you have the passion this event needs and we welcome your input.

I hope to see you out on the trails. :thumb:

Air Randy
05-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Doug,

We had some issues this year with getting volunteer info distributed to everyone on the committee. My apologies for that, I for sure would have used you for tech inspection and your wife could have helped out with registration if she was interested. Very nice lady by the way, hopefully we took good care of her for you while you rescued your buddies broken rig.

Next year you contact me directly if you don't get responses from anyone else. We always need the help and your expertise could be well utilized. Keep in mind we do have remote club members who don't live in the Denver area. Join the club and become a member of the committee, you don't have to own a Toyota, just become a member of TLCA.

I enjoyed wheeling with you and drinking whiskey with your wife :D. Set up a run down in your neck of the woods and we might just come down there!

Air Randy
05-20-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm not the most social of animals Thats cause you don't drink enough whiskey :D You need to stop by our camp fire some time and partake. We may have to haul you to your room in a basket but I promise you will be social :D

ScaldedDog
05-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Doug, I do not think I had the pleasure of meeting you this year...

I did, and he's a great spotter! Sign 'im up!

Doug, I talked to Brandon the next day, and he said you guys had a long day on Pritchett. Glad you made it out. Thanks for all your help that day!

Thats cause you don't drink enough whiskey :D You need to stop by our camp fire some time and partake. We may have to haul you to your room in a basket but I promise you will be social :D

Must... stop... laughing...

Mark

JadeRunner
05-21-2011, 11:41 PM
I had the pleasure to wheel BFE with Doug last year and he is a totally awesome guy. We camped near each other this year. But, I didn't do the BFE run with him this year. Definitely someone we want on the team.

AreaBFE
10-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi All,

We would like to host CM 2012, help with the planning and execution of CM 2012 and lead trails rides at AreaBFE.
Please let me know how we can help make CM 2012 the best one yet!

Thanks,
Olaf
562-233-6523
Olaf@areabfe.com