PDA

View Full Version : Blanca run

ajax
05-17-2011, 02:49 PM
anybody ever do blanca what did u think, was jaws 2 as bad as books make it sound? i m rolling on 37s with arbs and armour no winch though. let me know what u think, if we do it will be going there memorial if anybody is interested

Uncle Ben
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
anybody ever do blanca what did u think, was jaws 2 as bad as books make it sound? i m rolling on 37s with arbs and armour no winch though. let me know what u think, if we do it will be going there memorial if anybody is interested

Blanca is't what it used to be! You'll be fine. Blanca is a tougher trail but nothing a locked on 37's rig would be at home on! Wish I could....have two kids birthdays on that weekend....

ajax
05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
so the jaws obstacle where u can die if u miss up has been changed or is not really as bad as people make it

Uncle Ben
05-17-2011, 08:30 PM
so the jaws obstacle where u can die if u miss up has been changed or is not really as bad as people make it

Jaws 2 is still on a loose and very steep shelf.....that hasn't changed. The obsticle itself has been altered so it is much easier. Jaws 1 will test your meddle as the proper line will teeter totter you over and Jaws 3 is a beastly climb but a has a bi pass. Jaws 2.5 is an attention getter but not bad enough to turn you away.

Just found a youtube vid from a year ago. If a badly running carburated Scout on Thornbirds (worse traction tires I know of besides bald) can make it I really doubt you have much to worry about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxjPIlniEw

AxleIke
05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
I've been wanting to run that trail for a long time. maybe next year. Good to know its gotten easier.

isotel
05-18-2011, 03:15 AM
I would love to do a trip down to blanca late this summer!

One of the Best trails in colorado combined with some of the best camping at the top!

AxleIke
05-18-2011, 08:13 AM

Just curious, but have you checked with the local ranger station about memorial day? I'll be suprised if the trail doesn't have a couple of feet of snow on it still.

ajax
05-18-2011, 08:56 AM
was thinking we could get up the switch backs and make it as far as we can, but i did check the snow tell tell site and yes way to much snow for next weekend, thanks for all the comments keep um coming, prob try to run in june sometime

JadeRunner
05-18-2011, 09:07 AM
I have also been wanting to run this trail since I hiked it in the 90's. Wheel, fish and climb Little Bear and Blanca. It doesn't get any better than that. Epic 3 day weekend.

Uncle Ben
05-18-2011, 09:35 AM
was thinking we could get up the switch backs and make it as far as we can, but i did check the snow tell tell site and yes way to much snow for next weekend, thanks for all the comments keep um coming, prob try to run in june sometime

We could definatly put together a run! Blanca used to be an annual trip for the club.

ianacole
05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Just found a youtube vid from a year ago. If a badly running carburated Scout on Thornbirds (worse traction tires I know of besides bald) can make it I really doubt you have much to worry about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxjPIlniEw

Was it just me, or did it appear he had more trouble on that than he should have? It didn't look like the tires were aired down at all, and yah, those Thornbirds looked horrible for traction.

Uncle Ben
05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Was it just me, or did it appear he had more trouble on that than he should have? It didn't look like the tires were aired down at all, and yah, those Thornbirds looked horrible for traction.

It wasn't just you! Thornbirds are the worst off highway tire I know of and the errors the driver made and the poor running condition of the Scout put a huge danger factor in the situation....and he made it....that was my point! ;)

wesintl
05-18-2011, 11:36 AM
IF UB can do it in his j33p you can make it in your land cruiser ;) Montero's might even be able to go that far :lmao:

ianacole
05-18-2011, 12:04 PM
There's also some media here: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=112

Red_Chili
05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
IF UB can do it in his j33p you can make it in your land cruiser ;) Montero's might even be able to go that far :lmao:
Oh, somebody's gotta grab that sig line... :lmao:

Nay
05-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Thornbirds (worse traction tires I know of besides bald)

Bald would be better - at least it would be predictable :hill:

I'd be interested in a Blanca run with camping overnight, but more as an August kind of thing....

corsair23
05-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't know why, but I enjoyed this video...There was a feeling of impending doom throughout the entire thing

Se7J5M9vQQ0

Red_Chili
05-18-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't know why, but I enjoyed this video...There was a feeling of impending doom throughout the entire thing

Apt description. I've been up there on two wheels. It seems like it has everything I hate in a trail.
1) Off camber
2) Loose rocks and off camber
3) Unstable loose rocks and off camber causing sudden unpredictable vehicle slip
4) High shelves with unstable loose rocks and off camber causing sudden unpredictable vehicle slip and either vehicle total, personal injury with difficult extraction, or likely both!
5) all of the above, with a guy in a Polaris who keeps sticking his hand out, and other guys riding outrigger... :eek::eek:

That was hard to watch. I especially enjoyed the cameraman sucking in his breath on the scene featuring 4) above. :flop:

Loki
05-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Well I was interested in going until I saw that video! :eek:

ianacole
05-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Well I was interested in going until I saw that video! :eek:

Yah, coupled with Chili's comments, which I wholly agree with, I think I'll pass ...

ajax
05-18-2011, 02:40 PM
We could definatly put together a run! Blanca used to be an annual trip for the club.

yea that would be nice would like to run it with some people who have done it before !

Uncle Ben
05-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Bald would be better - at least it would be predictable :hill:

I'd be interested in a Blanca run with camping overnight, but more as an August kind of thing....

You got it! August would be the first opportunity I would have to lead it so I'll commit to it! As is obvious in this thread the trail is doable for most vehicles 35" tires or bigger with at least 1 locker.

Jacket
05-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Could I run it in my stock Ridgeline? It's got VSC.

Uncle Ben
05-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Se7J5M9vQQ0

This is a perfect RS training video! If you can't find at least 20 things wrong with what that group does you need some training! :eek: I didn't count but I didn't watch the whole thing either.... :rolleyes:

coax
05-18-2011, 05:34 PM
I suppose having your beadlocks stick out an inch past your tires is a good way to limit sidewall damage. :rolleyes:

Nay
05-18-2011, 06:27 PM
This is a perfect RS training video! If you can't find at least 20 things wrong with what that group does you need some training! :eek: I didn't count but I didn't watch the whole thing either.... :rolleyes:

That is the kind of group that has always scared me to death. A few mods, zero experience, a belief that a winch can get you out of anything, crappy spotters, and what I think now is the real marker of amateur hour...a UTV.

Now...a UTV with idiots hanging off the side has set a new standard. The only place that should happen is on the back nine after about twelve beers.

FJBRADY
05-18-2011, 07:00 PM
I am in if this get's set up.:thumb:

ajax
05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
how bout middle of august?i have a trip to go on during begining of august

Uncle Ben
05-18-2011, 08:44 PM
how bout middle of august?i have a trip to go on during begining of august

I think that will work. I'm also thinking it could be a club summer camp trip as the Great Sand Dunes are very family friendly as is Medana Pass which is perfect for those not wanting to tackle Blanca.

Red_Chili
05-20-2011, 09:07 AM
I think Medano Pass and other points would be fine places to take my Mega bling poser Toyota :lmao:.
One locker huh? :eek:

PhatFJ
05-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I am in!! 33's and TWO lockers.. :D Oh yes, don't forget the much needed WINCH.. And I have GLOVES :eek:

J Kimmel
05-21-2011, 10:04 AM
I would be up for Blanca this summer

spcruiser
05-24-2011, 12:32 AM
I would be in for this run depending on date in August.
This trail is in the running for BFG's outstanding trails award this year, cash to mantain and keep the trail open, see link to vote.
http://bfgoodrichtrails2011.outdoorhub.com/

pramjockey
05-24-2011, 10:20 AM
I am in!! 33's and TWO lockers.. :D Oh yes, don't forget the much needed WINCH.. And I have GLOVES :eek:

Just one pair?

Heck, I'd bring 2 pairs - gotta have a backup set.

And I wouldn't hike that, much less try to drive it. I value my life.

Uncle Ben
05-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Awesome! Looks like we have a crew! I'll invest some time into this this week and see if we can make3 it solid and on the calendar!

AxleIke
05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Anyone got a seat?

Uncle Ben
05-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Anyone got a seat?

Ya....you do...get yo junk togetha

AxleIke
05-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Ya....you do...get yo junk togetha

yeah, that'll happen.

rover67
05-24-2011, 10:34 PM
I'd be down for this depending on dates. sounds like a fun trip :)

nakman
05-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Sounds like a great time.. would love to check out the dunes and Medano as well have always wanted to go down there.

More video sickness..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKRS9N80bw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKRS9N80bw

rover67
05-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Wow, Tim wins the prize, best video find so far. Boner.

Nay
05-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Wow, Tim wins the prize, best video find so far. Boner.

OK, now I really want to go - what perfect camping at the top, too :thumb:

JadeRunner
05-25-2011, 09:00 PM
After looking at the last vid. I can see what Kevin means by 35's or bigger. Looks like I would totally go belly up on Jaws 1 with 33's.

PhatFJ
05-25-2011, 09:35 PM
After looking at the last vid. I can see what Kevin means by 35's or bigger. Looks like I would totally go belly up on Jaws 1 with 33's.

Don't you think the vehicle being driven in relation to the tire size has some effect on wether or not the tire size is big enough? 90" WB on 33's compared to 112" on 35's? Maybe some of our engineers can comment on this.. On the other hand, if UB wants to limit this run to 35's (for all vehicles) and at least one locker, so be it.. Maybe I'll just have to throw my 41's on :lmao: :hill:

wesintl
05-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Dang.. I just got 33's now i gotta get 35's :o

AxleIke
05-25-2011, 10:39 PM
No need to run 35's if you have belly armor. Wes's truck would have no issues, and Scott, yours only if you have an unprotected tcase.

I guess its UB's call, but IMO, Run what ya got. The caveat being that every driver is responsible for his or her comfort, skill, and experience level. Obviously not a newbish run, but Wes and scott I think could easily judge the trail and determine if it was too much or not for them and their trucks.

Speaking of camping, anyone possibly interested in a summit the following morning, or is that going to be too much to cram into one trip? Those who want to hike Blanca could do so, everyone else could hang out and fish, walk/hike, etc... Head out in the afternoon?

isotel
05-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Im in on this trip!

any long WB Rigs will want a good set of sliders for this trail!

PhatFJ
05-25-2011, 11:32 PM
If we could make it a 3 day trip, one down to the trail and up. next day, rest, fish & hike and the following day pack up early and head back. That would be awesome.. Just throwing it out there, it is about 3.5 - 4 hrs to the trailhead, if it is 6 hrs up, that's a long day..

JadeRunner
05-25-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm armored completely underneath. But my rear end would slide down and get me into trouble. I would probably need to winch most of those obstacles to do them safely.

RockRunner
05-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Anyone got a seat?

I might if I can go and Sharon passes on her seat. This is still to far away for me to commit fully but definitely want to go.

Nay
05-26-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm armored completely underneath. But my rear end would slide down and get me into trouble. I would probably need to winch most of those obstacles to do them safely.

I think you'd do fine, Scott. The breakover on Jaws 1 if you take that center line is going to test any of us with longer wheelbases - there is no way I would get over that clean on 37's.

I've always been conceptually scared of Blanca due to the stories on Jaws 2, but I think the vids put it into perspective that there doesn't seem to be a "gatekeeper" type obstacle and Jaws 2 has been built up to where it certainly doesn't seem to be a "get it perfect or die" obstacle.

That's web wheeling of course, but damn that is one seriously beautiful area :cool:

Uncle Ben
05-26-2011, 08:46 PM
I think you'd do fine, Scott. The breakover on Jaws 1 if you take that center line is going to test any of us with longer wheelbases - there is no way I would get over that clean on 37's.

I've always been conceptually scared of Blanca due to the stories on Jaws 2, but I think the vids put it into perspective that there doesn't seem to be a "gatekeeper" type obstacle and Jaws 2 has been built up to where it certainly doesn't seem to be a "get it perfect or die" obstacle.

That's web wheeling of course, but damn that is one seriously beautiful area :cool:

They actually dynamited the point off of Jaws 2 several years ago. I watched Dan Dilley roll off that one year and it was very scary. He bailed instead of riding it down which was a good choice as his roll bar was bent down to the steering wheel. Jaws 2.5 got harder over the years but Jaws 2 is only a shiver of what it once was. Jaws 1 is a tad bit bigger due to getting dug out but the same lines still exist. We only dreamed of "huge" tires like 35's in the old days!

rover67
05-26-2011, 10:55 PM

Yeah man, I am sure my rig will be dragging and scraping. BUT, I think we can make it :)

I'd be up for a wheel, camp, summit, camp, wheel type of thing. I'd also be down for a summit attempt and wheeling out in one day depending on the length of the drive up.

EricG
07-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi Guys - what do my chances are on this trail with a locked 80 on 33s, 2" lift. Winch & sliders as well. I'm thinking about going up with that RMFI trip this weekend.
Thanks
Eric

Uncle Ben
08-10-2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=188907#post188907

Inukshuk
08-19-2012, 12:43 PM
We are a go for next Thursday 8/23 PM to Sunday. E-mail me if you want to join.