PDA

View Full Version : Spring/Summer Event Planning

ttubb
05-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Just an FYI, in the upper Gunnison Basin we have 143% of average snowfall. Gothic got over 500 inches and Irwin got over 700 inches this winter. More than 90 inches fell in April. This is higher than the 2008 records so I would suppose many of the passes will not open until much later than ususal, if at all this summer. Just thought I would pass this on for those planning runs. The Bushducks site is a great resource for info on the passes as Matt indicated earlier. Avalanche danger is very high right now.

http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen_2010.htm

Be safe, Terry

rover67
05-19-2011, 08:58 AM
We were planning a MTB trip to CB last week in June, I wonder if stuff like 401 and **** will have too much snow.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

edit: interesting it edited d y k e to be ****

wesintl
05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
In general the snow pack does make a difference but IMHO it really depends on how HOT it gets. IF it gets hot and snow starts melting fast it won't make that much of a difference. Problem is it's been real mild (putting it mildly) this spring. I'm not worried tho :D

I remember years when the ski area got as much snow the month after they closed and things still opened up in aug. It was just that june and july you couldn't mtn bike the usual places til later.

course I could always eat my words :D

DaveInDenver
05-19-2011, 09:45 AM
We were planning a MTB trip to CB last week in June, I wonder if stuff like 401 and **** will have too much snow.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

edit: interesting it edited d y k e to be ****
Last year in late June the high CB trails were still snowy but it was manageable and plenty down lower was open. I don't know how the last and this year compare in snow pack, though.

pmccumber
05-19-2011, 10:53 AM
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/wygraph-multi.pl?state=CO&wateryear=2011&stationidname=07K11S-SCHOFIELD+PASS

That is the graph of the snowpack at Schofield Pass, about 3 miles north of Gothic. There have been a couple years in the last 10 where that pass did not clear until well into August. You could still get around it by going over Paradise Divide but ... This will certainly be one of those years. Interesting this about that graph is the stunning amount of snowpack that area accumulates and the huge amount of annual precip it gets. It is why that area is so lush. And this year is blowing the averages away.

The front range and eastern San Juans were conspicuously left out of the party this year with the snowpack being more epic the further north you went. The last month has brought even the laggards back to normal. The western San Juans are actually running above normal for this time of year.

I also watch the Lake Powell water level. It will be fun to see how much that fills this year.

Finally, in my experience, heat melts it out quick but rain really gets it going. Get a couple of good June rains with hot weather and the rivers will be raging.