PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on tires for my FZJ80 from the local group...

Overlander
05-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Howdy!

New guy here - first post. Wife and I tried to meet some of you at this month's meeting - didn't realize until after the fact that it was cancelled this month, so I hope to see you all in June. I may already 'know' some of you from ih8mud (my handle there is MercFan).

My rig is a '95 Land Cruiser - completely stock - the rig is fairly new to me. It has 167K miles on it - working on base-lining it now. I don't plan on getting a high lift on the truck, though eventually I may get a set of sliders to protect my rocker panels. My interests are more in over-landing and remote site camping than difficult rock-crawling. I enjoy fishing in the front range and up in the high country so will be making weekend trips up and down front range as well as Summit Country and beyond on and off road. This rig is not my DD - I have a diesel Benz for that. This is just my weekend warrior vehicle.

I currently have a set of OEM Michelins on the truck (275/70R16) that still have fairly decent tread but the side walls are dry-rotted, so I'm thinking about replacements soon.

Wanted to ask opinions of the local crowd about the tires that might work well for my use in Front Range as well as moderate high country trails.

My hope is to hookup with you guys on at least some of the trips and do some overnight camping this summer/fall season so that's a consideration.

I'm thinking of going up to 285/75R16s in either Yoko Geolander, General Grabber or KM2s (the last one would tax the budget). I also like the GY DuraTracks but again they are expensive and I hear the side walls are soft and prone to punctures. I'd like to stay around $1000 if I could (not much more).

I've read some good posts on MUD about 255/85R16 - which might be a consideration - just don't want something that's squirley at highway speeds.

Again, hoping for some local advice on what might be a good choice on some of the intermediate CO trails.

Thx - James

coax
05-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking of going up to 285/75R16s in either Yoko Geolander, General Grabber or KM2s (the last one would tax the budget). I also like the GY DuraTracks but again they are expensive and I hear the side walls are soft and prone to punctures. I'd like to stay around $1000 if I could (not much more).

I've read some good posts on MUD about 255/75R16 - which might be a consideration - just don't want something that's squirley at highway speeds.

Thx - James

Welcome! Here are a few of the more recent tire threads that have popped up here. There are some good recommendations from various folks on different tires. I've never run the 255's, but something to consider is you'll have substantially less choice in that size.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13360

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=15492

Nay
05-19-2011, 03:29 PM
The KM2 sounds like quite the outlier as a hardcore rock crawling tire.

I like the new Hankook for a well priced AT. If you are really serious about an aggressive tire but aren't rock crawling, then are you after snow performance or something else?

DaveInDenver
05-19-2011, 03:41 PM

I like the new Hankook for a well priced AT. If you are really serious about an aggressive tire but aren't rock crawling, then are you after snow performance or something else?
Good points. I just went back to BFG AT KOs from KMs (old style) this week and I forgot how loud mudders are. I realized driving in this morning that I could actually hear the radio and my mirrors don't vibrate coming to stop signs. Not being a daily driver, it might be less important to James, though.

Overlander
05-19-2011, 03:46 PM
If you are really serious about an aggressive tire but aren't rock crawling, then are you after snow performance or something else?

It may just be vanity, really... I like the look of an aggressive tire, though I doubt I'll take it that often where it's really designed to play. I do plan on playing in the snow and going into deep sand on few occasions, so it maybe be useful then.

I'll probably get a set from one of these choices:

Yokohama Geo A/T:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?r=CODINT|pc|80234&pc=43529&ar=75&rd=16&cs=285

Falken WildPeak:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09554856000P?mv=rr

Or Hankook AT:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09536716000P?prdNo=19&blockNo=19&blockType=L19

Nay
05-19-2011, 04:43 PM
It may just be vanity, really... I like the look of an aggressive tire, though I doubt I'll take it that often where it's really designed to play. I do plan on playing in the snow and going into deep sand on few occasions, so it maybe be useful then.

I'll probably get a set from one of these choices:

Yokohama Geo A/T:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?r=CODINT|pc|80234&pc=43529&ar=75&rd=16&cs=285

Falken WildPeak:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09554856000P?mv=rr

Or Hankook AT:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09536716000P?prdNo=19&blockNo=19&blockType=L19

Vanity is a good reason :hill:

I'd personally run a more modern MT with a good snow pattern for a weekend warrior. I wouldn't discount the Duratrac - just get the road hazard warranty and carry a spare.

I'd certainly run Duratracs as soon as I'd run any AT for weekend mountain camping/fishing trips. The traction advantage over an AT when you need it will be most welcome, they are a great looking tire, and all reports is they are excellent in urban corridor winter conditions.

I think the negatives we are all hearing are in comparison to purpose built rock tires - that's not your usage and AT's don't measure up well in those comparisons, either.

Plus, a softer MT will be good for your limited mileage. Having a long tread life AT dry rotting on your truck is pretty pointless and the less miles you drive the more a softer compound will serve you well with better traction in all conditions.

Some food for thought...

corsair23
05-19-2011, 04:53 PM
We have the Yokohama Geo ATs on our 80 and I am disappointed in their snow traction. Not terrible but IMO they were actually worse than the worn out Wrangler RSAs that were on the rig before :rolleyes:

They are reasonably quite although again louder than the Wranglers were.

The 80 never sees dirt so I can't comment on the offroad aspects of them.

If you go this route, I'd suggest getting the centers siped for snow traction. A buddy of mine with an 80 has the same tires, but siped, and raved about their snow traction. I plan to sipe mine come winter which will improve snow traction and quiet them down even more. I'm not worried about any chunking issues since this is a street truck...

Romer
05-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Welcome

I ran the BFG AT KOs on my truck before switching to Mud tires. I still run them on the other 3 Toyota trucks we have. They are a quiet tire that lasts forever, pretty good snow traction and they are fine on all the Colorado trails and Moab. That is my experiance. Rachel and Sarah wheel with these and they are fine. I wanted a more aggressive tire after wheeling in Missouri where traction in loose dirt is a problem, not so much here.

Corbet
05-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Nitto Terra Grapplers. 295/75r16 will fit if you want to max out your size.

Best all around value in my opinion. Does good in most conditions. Snow, HWY, trail. Still got 16MPG on the HWY with them.

picture for whats it worth. This is with stock springs. Only pic I could find without my ARB front bumper.

Inukshuk
05-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Got my replacement Nitto mounted today. So far they ave worked fine. I keep hearing more good things about the Duratracs. For the past 10 years I ran BFG ATs all over and they were fine too.

Uncle Ben
05-19-2011, 08:57 PM

I was the happiest with the KM2's when I found a friend in South Dakota to give them to! Great on dry rocks....balance great....treadlife not bad........worse tire I have ever owned for snow/ice safety and they couldn't climb out of a muddy rut if they....(add your own profanity here).....loud as heck on the highway early on. Your results may vary.....

Rock Dog
05-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Nitto Terra Grapplers. 295/75r16 will fit if you want to max out your size.

Best all around value in my opinion. Does good in most conditions. Snow, HWY, trail. Still got 16MPG on the HWY with them.

picture for whats it worth. This is with stock springs. Only pic I could find without my ARB front bumper.

I am also using the Nitto Terra Grapplers. They have been a great tire for all kinds of offroading, and are good in the snow.. I have noticed they tend to wear faster than i expected, but are great. I prefer the 8 ply to the 10 ply that is available... got a good deal on them at Discount tire....

Eldorado556
05-20-2011, 06:01 AM
I have had the Duratracs for a couple months now. They are great in snow and ice compared to the KM2's on my FJ60 previously. Road noise is minimal and they handle well. No reports yet on how they do on a lot of rocks.

I got mine from Discount. At first I balked at the tire replacement. So they offered me the warranties for half price, so for $40 I got the free replacement certs for all 4 tires.

powderpig
05-20-2011, 06:50 AM
The duratrac's on my 80 have done very well on the snow and Ice I have had. They currently are the winter tire on the other 4 runners that are in the family. This moab season, I was impressed with the grip and hold I had on the rocks and loose rocks I incountered. They are quite and balanced well. I have heard they have a thin side wall, but they have held up on the heavy 80 I well(e-rated not d). I did contact Goodyear about having a 12.5 by 37 in this tire, if more people want that size, we need to ask. I believe the tread pattern for a AT is one of the best, It does pull well through the snow and mud, but has a great center section for dirt roads and the pavement.
I like this tire more than I have like any AT in a long time. Only time will tell about the side wall.

Corbet
05-20-2011, 08:00 AM
I have a set of DuraTrac's I use for the winter only. I agree with everything Robbie has to say about the the tire. It would be my #1 recommendation too for the best all around tire, but I can not get over how thin the side walls are. Even my tire guys commented on them when I had them mounted.

Tires are probably the largest compromise anyone has to make on their truck. Especially if you run the same tire year round. The main reason I went to seasonal sets of tires.

Something else to consider are the Dick Cepek FCII's for a year round tire.

powderpig
05-20-2011, 09:09 AM
I have run a set of big O mt's on my truck for a few years(really a tame MT, more a AT). It is made on the good year periminum carcuss for LT. If it is the same carcuss, thin side wall. it held up on the rubicon with a very heavy truck, has done well for camping, and long road trips. That tire and this tires side walls are very similar in thickness. I have not had a issue with the thickness of that tire, but did worry in the begining. May be it is my driving style or luck. But good year has been good to me. Again then the old Good year 3 ply MTR(first gen), I tore up 3 side walls in one summer. So go figure.

Air Randy
05-20-2011, 09:28 AM
I doubt I'll take it that often where it's really designed to play.

Never say never :D. Once you put sliders on your rig and start hanging around with this group you will get drawn in to going on trail runs. Then you'll see how well the 80's do on some big obstacles and start thinking "hey, my truck could do that too"................

What about the GY Kevlar MTR's? No side wall issues, they're supposed to be really good on hwy & in mud & snow, pretty sticky offroad too. I saw them in action on the Rubicon and was impressed with their offroading traction. If they are as good as they say on pavement they are probably one of the best all around.

farnhamstj
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
This could be a good deal for you both. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=15644

Nay
05-20-2011, 02:45 PM
I did contact Goodyear about having a 12.5 by 37 in this tire, if more people want that size, we need to ask.

How did you contact them? I'll follow up, too.

I think the big gap in the market currently are the "all purpose oriented MT's" in 37" sizes. One reason I love trxus is that they retain great road performance in the big size, but one always has to be honest about aging Interco tires.

I'd love to see the Duratrac in a 37. A lighter weight MT/AT combo is in many ways a great compromise and most of us, including me, aren't as hardcore as we'd like to think. I still have a new set of Trxus to get through, but long term we need better options from the major rubber companies.