PDA

View Full Version : Annual Ouray Run - Labor Day Weekend - September 2-5, 2011

Old40Dog
05-23-2011, 08:55 PM
This annual run has become a club favorite. Traveling the mountain passes by 4x4 is a wonderful way to experience the magnificent mountains surrounding Ouray (http://www.ouraycolorado.com/). Ouray has been eloquently nicknamed the "Switzerland of America." The immediate vicinity offers limitless opportunities for four-wheeling, from easy scenic drives to rugged challenges, along trails miners built to passes that climb to spectacular heights. The trails traverse some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, abundant with wildflowers, ghost towns, abandoned mines, animal life, all with breathtaking vistas.

Check out area camping info here (http://www.ouraycolorado.com/Campgrounds+&+RV+Parks) or camp at the 4J Campground (http://www.ouraycolorado.com/rv4j) within walking distance of a relaxing soak in the Ouray Hot Springs Pool (http://www.ouraycolorado.com/Hot+Springs+Pool). You can also stay at the Amphitheater forest service campground (http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Amphitheater_Co/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70572&topTabIndex=CampingSpot)above town or the KOA (http://www.koa.com/where/co/06158/) about 10 minutes North of town.

San Juan Roads and Ghost Town Map attached to this post at the bottom. Check the links to the various trails to "TrailDamage.com (http://www.traildamage.com)" for more info.

Friday-Saturday – Limited to 12 rigs (Trailers Ok) - Overnight Run – Day 1) Mineral Creek thru Animas Fork over Cinnamon Pass to Wager Gulch through the Carson site to the overnight camp near the upper end of the Rio Grande Reservoir. (Been told there is some GREAT fly-fishing here). Day 2) Beartown site with lunch at Kite Lake then return to Ouray via, Stony Pass, Hurricane Pass and Corkscrew Gulch.

Saturday - Governor Basin/Yankee Boy - Nestled at an elevation between 11500 and 12000 feet, Yankee Boy Basin contains some of the most prolific stands of wildflowers in the state. The basin itself is surrounded by several breathtaking peaks—Mt Sneffels, Potosi Peak, Teakettle Mountain, Cirque Mountain, Stony Mountain, and Gilpin Mountain. Most are 13,500 or higher. The Governor Basin trail splits off from the Yankee Boy and climbs up to the edge of Humboldt Basin, and on to the Humboldt, Virginius, and Mountain Top mines. You drive to the Mountain Top Mine, but the remains of the Humboldt Mine cannot be reached by 4x4, but the old trail can be hiked.

Saturday 6PM - Pot Luck; At the 4J's group picnic area. Bring your own main dish and a side dish or dessert to share.

Sunday - 1) Black Bear Pass to Telluride -, lunch in the city park. You can take a brief walk along Main Street, stop for ice cream or your favorite fru-fru coffee. Imogene Pass for the return trip to Ouray.

Sunday - 2) Or Poughkeepsie Gulch/Corkscrew Gulch . Poughkeepsie Gulch is a moderate trail, but some spots may be difficult for mostly stock vehicles. Corkscrew Gulch trail climbs via numerous switchbacks, the last few of which are steep and narrow. At the summit (at 12,217 ft) is the red soil of the famous Red Mountains 1, 2 & 3 visible to the south..

All runs meet at 8:00AM in the parking lot by the Ouray Hot Springs . Depart 8:30 AM Sharp!

Post up you're trail run preferences if you’re planning to attend. The Overnighter will surely be of particular interrest.
There will be a waiting list should it fill to capacity.

Here's the list as of Thursday afternoon 9/1;

Overniter
Dave + Idelle
Steve + Sarah
Steve + Linda

Other Runs

Patrick + Lilly (Patrick leading Saturday's run-White 80)
Sascha
Romer
Rachel
Ryan
Trey
Nakman
Randy + Dee
Mike + Katie
Brad + Dave

bh4rnnr
05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Man, it's been a few years since my last Club run to Ouray, would love to go again this year but with Montana being right around the corner, dont think i'll be able to get the time/afford it this year:(.

spcruiser
05-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Dave,
Great trail selections something to please everyone with an interst in highcountry wheeling.

FJBRADY
05-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Put me down as a definite maybe

OilHammer
05-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I missed this last year, but really want to do it this year. I'll ask the wife and see what we can pull off with the schedule and juggling kids. It might be a good first camping trip for them, but dunno yet.

wesintl
05-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Nice thing about ouray Barry is you can stay at a house or condo in town and still be right there. Or bring the grand parents bus! The kids will love the host springs :) The park in telluride etc.

satchel
06-16-2011, 09:30 AM
We are planning on being there again. I'm hoping to do the overnight, but I don't know if that will be possible yet depending on who comes with us.

RockRunner
06-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Will talk to Sharon, mostly time and money. If we do go the overnighter sounds great...........mostly due to the fly fishing :D

Old40Dog
06-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Took these today on Cinnamon Pass on way back from Durango. Fresh snow last night and it's hard to believe tomorrow is the first day of summer...

RockRunner
06-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Took these today on Cinnamon Pass on way back from Durango. Fresh snow last night and it's hard to believe tomorrow is the first day of summer...

That's Colorado for you ;) We were hit with a major snow storm about 8 years ago 4th of July above Breckinridge. Took shelter in an old cabin with about 10 other people while about 6-8" of snow fell :eek: Pretty cool if you ask me, keeps you on your toes.

nattybumppo
07-30-2011, 07:10 PM
I think I will be able to make it down for the cookout and then Black Bear on Sunday. Just gotta clear it with the kids...

ajax
08-03-2011, 05:23 PM
i ll make it id like to run poughkeepsie on sunday and whatever sat or if people want to run poughkeepsie on sat id be fine with that too

Romer
08-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Dave, if your doing an overnight run fri and Sat and then more runs on saturday,is there a second leader for the saturday only runs? I may not get there till Saturday in any case so it might be moot

daughterofromer
08-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Dave, if your doing an overnight run fri and Sat and then more runs on saturday,is there a second leader for the saturday only runs? I may not get there till Saturday in any case so it might be moot

If you're planning on going I would love to head out with you and caravan if I can make it work! I absolutely fell in love with the area last time we were there... looks like some new wheeling to try this time around too, which couldn't be better!

Oh... and I promise you won't have to drag me out of Telluride because I'm shopping/checking out the whole town in my usual :Princess: way! :D

Old40Dog
08-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Yes Ken, we plan to have a second leader. Who is not finalized just yet.

Old40Dog
08-04-2011, 09:14 PM
If you're planning on going I would love to head out with you and caravan if I can make it work! I absolutely fell in love with the area last time we were there... looks like some new wheeling to try this time around too, which couldn't be better!

Oh... and I promise you won't have to drag me out of Telluride because I'm shopping/checking out the whole town in my usual :Princess: way! :D

Rachel, I've been hooked on Ouray since my first trip there in 1982! Hope you can join us!

jonharis
08-05-2011, 09:38 AM
I might try to swing up one morning for a quick run. I can't get enough of Ouray.

I'll be there the on the 19th-21s leading a 100 series run. If anyone (with a 100 series) is interested visit the thread in Trails - Events... on Mud.

Old40Dog
08-05-2011, 03:12 PM
I might try to swing up one morning for a quick run. I can't get enough of Ouray.

I'll be there the on the 19th-21s leading a 100 series run. If anyone (with a 100 series) is interested visit the thread in Trails - Events... on Mud.

We'll be looking for you Jon.

Air Randy
08-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Dave,

If we trailer 1 of the 40's down with the truck/camper, which campground would be the best for us to set up at for Saturday night? Which trail on Sunday would get us back to the truck & trailer?

Old40Dog
08-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Dave,

If we trailer 1 of the 40's down with the truck/camper, which campground would be the best for us to set up at for Saturday night? Which trail on Sunday would get us back to the truck & trailer?

Randy,

4J would be 1st choice. Amphitheater would be tough with the trailer rig. KOA would be second choice if 4J is full as it is about 5 mi North of town.

Either trail start/end is pretty close to the campground. Black Bear/Imogene (see pic 2 in first post) is a full day but very scenic, Poughkeepsie Gulch/Cork Screw Gulch is more technically challenging and shorter day.

Dave

Old40Dog
08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Bump!

Date is right around the corner guys! Please update your attendance status.

Thanks!

Air Randy
08-18-2011, 10:19 AM
OK, were in for sure. I was able to get a reservation at 4J for Friday and Saturday night. We'll load up and head out Sunday evening.

wesintl
08-18-2011, 11:10 AM
reserved at 4j too. Not sure of our run schedule. I think we're going to go to durango and ride the train one day :)

satchel
08-18-2011, 04:45 PM
We will be there.

spcruiser
08-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Dave,
Sara the girls and myself are all in on overnighter and Poughkeepsie on Sunday.
Here are some photos from the overnight route we took last weekend.
We did'nt make it up to Kite Lake and look forward to that on run.

Old40Dog
08-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Great! Thanks for the pics Steve. I was about to email you.

nattybumppo
08-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm in for the Sunday Black Bear/Imogene run only...and the Saturday night feed. Theo will also be with me.

ssency
08-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Hi,

I am a friend of Steve Powers, he invited me on the Ouray trip. Include me on the overnighter.

Steve & Linda -- 1977 FJ40

Romer
08-28-2011, 01:40 PM
I made my reservation at 4-J. Maybe just me, don't know yet

I'll be arriving Friday afternoon/evening

Probably head home Sunday evening

nattybumppo
08-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Dave, the 4J is all full up on Saturday night, so it looks like Theo and I will have to meet up with you guys on Sunday morning for the Black Bear run. Where and when should we meet you?

satchel
08-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention the trails I am doing. I really want to go on the overnighter, but it doesn't look like I will be able to. We will be doing Governor basin Sat and Poughkeepsie Gulch Sun. 3 of us all together.

nakman
08-29-2011, 01:03 PM
In for 4J's Friday-Monday. We'll probably do our own thing on Saturday, but I'm in for Black Bear on Sunday, and the potluck.

Old40Dog
08-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention the trails I am doing. I really want to go on the overnighter, but it doesn't look like I will be able to. We will be doing Governor basin Sat and Poughkeepsie Gulch Sun. 3 of us all together.

In for 4J's Friday-Monday. We'll probably do our own thing on Saturday, but I'm in for Black Bear on Sunday, and the potluck.

Great, looking forward to it! Just a reminder....We'll be doing the Potluck on Saturday night.

Old40Dog
08-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Dave, the 4J is all full up on Saturday night, so it looks like Theo and I will have to meet up with you guys on Sunday morning for the Black Bear run. Where and when should we meet you?

All runs meet at 8:00AM in the parking lot by the Ouray Hot Springs . Depart 8:30 AM Sharp!

jonharis
08-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Will anyone be doing a run on Monday or is everyone pretty much traveling? I'll be in the area Sunday and Monday. I wouldn't mind doing Poughkeepsie again.....already, but don't know if I can get up to Ouray that early.

nakman
08-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Will anyone be doing a run on Monday or is everyone pretty much traveling? I'll be in the area Sunday and Monday. I wouldn't mind doing Poughkeepsie again.....already, but don't know if I can get up to Ouray that early.

We'll probably walk up to the water falls in town, but that's likely it.. then hit the road. If you're in town on Sunday night though swing by 4J's. :beer:

1loudLX
08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
I'll be down there this weekend too it looks like. Hooray

jonharis
08-31-2011, 08:30 AM
reserved at 4j too. Not sure of our run schedule. I think we're going to go to durango and ride the train one day :)

FYI the train is closed temporarily due to mudslide. They are working on it as I type but don't have an estimated opening time. As long as there is no track damage it should be open by the end of the week. No info on the website yet.

1-888-TRAIN-07

baileyfj40
08-31-2011, 05:41 PM
Katie and I and two of the three girls and 3 dogs will be coming down and have got a site at 4j friday thru sunday.

Hey Randy; when are you and Dee headed down 285?

Badmoon
08-31-2011, 09:07 PM
My son Brad and I are planning to come to Colorado for the weekend to escape the Oklahoma heat for a couple days. Would anyone mind if we were to join your fun this weekend? We plan to be in Ouray Friday night and leave on Monday. We'd probably do Yankee on Saturday and Poughkeepsee on Sunday if no one objects. Thanks,

Dave Rising

1loudLX
09-01-2011, 02:45 AM
Probably going to tag along, or run ahead of you guys on Black Bear on Sunday. Friend of mine will be down there with me in his FJC showing his brother Colorado, so BBP into Telluride is a must. Might swing by the camp(s) friday/saturday night and say hi

Old40Dog
09-01-2011, 12:16 PM
My son Brad and I are planning to come to Colorado for the weekend to escape the Oklahoma heat for a couple days. Would anyone mind if we were to join your fun this weekend? We plan to be in Ouray Friday night and leave on Monday. We'd probably do Yankee on Saturday and Poughkeepsee on Sunday if no one objects. Thanks,

Dave Rising You're in Dave and Brad!

Probably going to tag along, or run ahead of you guys on Black Bear on Sunday. Friend of mine will be down there with me in his FJC showing his brother Colorado, so BBP into Telluride is a must. Might swing by the camp(s) friday/saturday night and say hi Swing by the Pot Luck at the 4J Saturday 6PM - ?

Badmoon
09-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks- we will plan on it- and we look forward to meeting everyone.
We'll be in my Champaign 1994 FZJ80- probably still steaming from our heat!

1loudLX
09-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Anyone have a recommendation for a campsite outside of telluride? something kind of out of the way but <30-40mins from telluride.

Swing by the Pot Luck at the 4J Saturday 6PM - ?

I'm there. Well, I'll be there, I'm not there now, but I plan on being there. I'm at Stevinson getting an alignment.

Romer
09-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Sarah is going to come with me. Her last class ends at 1 and she has to drive from Ft Collins here and pack before we can leave, so we will be there late tomorrow night

Old40Dog
09-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Sarah is going to come with me. Her last class ends at 1 and she has to drive from Ft Collins here and pack before we can leave, so we will be there late tomorrow night

See you soon! All is good in Ouray today! Overnighter at 8 AM Friday!

nattybumppo
09-02-2011, 06:26 PM

Thanks, Dave. See you there.