PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Father's Day Run Spring Creek

FJBRADY
05-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Sunday June 19th Spring Creek Father's Day run. I checked with Jeff Zepp, and do to Jeff's 40 being sidelined, I will lead the annual Father's day run.

We will meet at the Downieville Burger King parking lot at the I-70 Downieville exit. 8 am meet time to air down, ect. Plan on being on the trail at 8:30.

This trail is moderate/difficult with bypasses on the first obstacle and the rock garden. One obstacle cannot be bypassed and last year I believe there was a few who had some issues there.

Here's the link to last year's trip report.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13347

Bring lunch, water, ect. Please make sure your rig is trail worthy because this is a full day even without issues. Ohhhhh and in Jeff Zepp style make sure you bring your permagrins:D

Red_Chili
05-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Will try to make it. Puppy due date may interfere though!

Rzeppa
05-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Sunday June 19th Spring Creek Father's Day run. I checked with Jeff Zepp and do to Jeff's 40 being sidelined I will lead the annual Father's day run.

Ohhhhh and in Jeff Zepp style make sure you bring your permagrins:D

Thank you for keeping up the tradition Steve!

:D

JadeRunner
05-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks for leading Steve. I like the meeting time place. That will make for an early start ahead of the groups. I have to drop off my kids at Geneva Glen Camp up Parmalee Gulch at 2pm that day. So I'll have to figure out how to get ahead and off the trail in time. Should be doable.

FJBRADY
05-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Thank you for keeping up the tradition Steve!

:D

Happy to jump in and help out.

Thanks for leading Steve. I like the meeting time place. That will make for an early start ahead of the groups. I have to drop off my kids at Geneva Glen Camp up Parmalee Gulch at 2pm that day. So I'll have to figure out how to get ahead and off the trail in time. Should be doable.

No problemo we can work that out. You will be fine, I have seen you drive :thumb:

Old40Dog
05-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Way to go Steve-o! We'll miss this one this time around.

Going to Durango this year - so Idelle can see her Dad. We'll be running Choke Cherry over near Farmington with the Durango guys on Saturday the 18th though.

Have fun and be safe!

Air Randy
05-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Were in

FJBRADY
05-26-2011, 06:57 AM
We'll be running Choke Cherry over near Farmington with the Durango guys on Saturday the 18th though.

Thanks, Dawg.

Those Durango boys are good cats, have fun.:thumb:

FJBRADY
05-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Were in

Randy and Dee are you bringing Team Rosetta? Kim, Nick and your kids Justin and Jay:thumb:

Hope so, good times...........

FJBRADY
05-26-2011, 09:43 AM
I found out lerking on CO4X4 that the bypass or bailout at the first obsticle is an illegal bypass. You must go up the rock face in order to stay on the trail. The bypass before the obsticle turn off is a legal bypass, but if you try the first obsticle you must be commited to drive up the rock face or turn around and use the legal bypass.

For those unfamiliar with the trail here is the trail damage report from their website:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=36

Air Randy
05-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Randy and Dee are you bringing Team Rosetta? Kim, Nick and your kids Justin and Jay:thumb:

Hope so, good times...........

Probably, I'll let you know :thumb:

Karst8835
06-01-2011, 08:08 AM
I plan on attending.

JadeRunner
06-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the update on that Steve. I always thought the obstacle bypass should be closed the way it rips around through the woods.

I usually take the rock face. But, with just a rear locker it was always difficult and a bit scary for me. It's easy with a front locker though.

I found out lerking on CO4X4 that the bypass or bailout at the first obsticle is an illegal bypass. You must go up the rock face in order to stay on the trail. The bypass before the obsticle turn off is a legal bypass, but if you try the first obsticle you must be commited to drive up the rock face or turn around and use the legal bypass.

For those unfamiliar with the trail here is the trail damage report from their website:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=36

FJBRADY
06-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Almost a week away. :D

Please have at least a rear locker, I would not advise running open on this trail.

If anyone has any questions about this trail feel free to PM me.

See everyone on Father's day.:thumb:

PPFJ60
06-12-2011, 07:56 AM
The Colorado Land Cruisers ran Spring Creek yesterday. We had four rigs and only one made it past the rocky switch back.

We encountered a couple of dirt bikes coming down and they said the trail was full of snow at the rock garden. Luke and I took my FJ60 up to see how it looked. With 39's and two lockers I couldn't make it through the main part of the rock garden because all holes are full of snow. We took the right side around the rock garden and made it another 200 to 250 yards before finding the snow with no tracks. I pounded the snow and opened another 50 feet of trail. We could see 4 foot snow drifts ahead so we turned around and headed back down.

By the way this is the FJ60 that Justin at Red line put the roll cage in to help get me ready to Ultimate Adventure 2011.

Air Randy
06-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Dee and I will be in Meanie, Beau is going to drive the Mule, Justin is going to take the green FJ40 and Kim & Nick should be there in the K5 and XJ.

Sounds like we might want to consider another trail. That will be a big group to try and get turned around.

FJBRADY
06-12-2011, 08:49 AM
What do you mean, it sounds like "peek fun" to me!:D

Co4x4 is planning a evening bust the trail run up there on Wednesday, so we will see how far they get.

Unfortunately all the trails are in the same condition, I say we stick with it.

Getting stuck is half the fun.:thumb:

FJBRADY
06-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Sounds like we might want to consider another trail. That will be a big group to try and get turned around.

So far it looks like:

Jack Hess
Thee Scott Yoder, fresh off his HI trip.:cool:
Bill Morgan, maybe
Team Rosetta (5)
Brian Brinkley and crew.
Ricardo.....no that's not a typo. Stopped by the Rosetta compound on Sunday and Mr. Ricardo was installing RedLine tube doors for some top down summertime fun!
and the Brady bunch.

PhatFJ
06-13-2011, 07:02 AM
My 3 young adults and I will be there... :D

Rzeppa
06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately all the trails are in the same condition, I say we stick with it.

X2. Even though I am not leading this year, the reason I chose this weekend for this trail is that Father's Day is historically the first or nearly first weekend when the trail is passable all the way to the top. In the 10 years I lead this run I have never seen it impassable on Father's Day, but have many times on the weekend before that.

pmccumber
06-14-2011, 08:56 PM
The T33 plane crash is open and so is Miller Rock. Miller Rock is clear. Here is a trip report with some photos.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=184107

FJBRADY
06-15-2011, 03:42 PM
The T33 plane crash is open and so is Miller Rock. Miller Rock is clear. Here is a trip report with some photos.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=184107

Thank you for the suggestion. We are sticking with Spring Creek even if we have to turn around do to snow and come back out the way we went in.

Looks like CO4X4 has post poned their (break thru) Spring Creek until this Sunday. Plan is to give them a 15 minute head start so they can get in past the rock garden and break the trail ahead of us.

I think it's going to be a great day!

Red_Chili
06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Red Chili and Squishy and guests are a definite. I think we will pass the very first obstacle though. I don't like the axle hop I've begun having with soft springs and don't think I will enjoy it on that one.

Having trouble visualizing the illegal bypass around it... we're talking about the one where the Suzuki rolled one year, and there used to be a tree there that impeded its progress?

FJBRADY
06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Red Chili and Squishy and guests are a definite. I think we will pass the very first obstacle though. I don't like the axle hop I've begun having with soft springs and don't think I will enjoy it on that one.

Having trouble visualizing the illegal bypass around it... we're talking about the one where the Suzuki rolled one year, and there used to be a tree there that impeded its progress?

Right on, glad to have all of you.

I'll see if I can find a picture. It's more of a bailout than a bypass. Everything below the rock face is the trail. As you come up to the right side of the face and you do not elect to turn sharp left and proceed sraight or to the right of the stand of trees all the spectators gather under you are on the questionably illigal part of the trail.....I have driven that way each year.

I will be leading the 1st obsticle bypasser this year and you are a welcomed addition to that group of bypassers.:thumb: All the cool kids are taking the legal bypasses these days

Loki
06-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I might be in on this....

JadeRunner
06-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Well shucks. That's going to be a big day. Probably won't wont work for me now. I even had the wife talked into going with the kids and I.

The snow is certainly a big unknown. It shouldn't surprise us if the snow pack is deeper that previous years. So you can't go by previous Fathers Day Runs.

I wouldn't wait for co4x4. It will soon be one big line up anyway. I say the first to hit the trailhead leads. Put Randy and crew in front.

FJBRADY
06-16-2011, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't wait for co4x4. It will soon be one big line up anyway. I say the first to hit the trailhead leads. Put Randy and crew in front.

Well shucks is right, sorry you can't make it Scott!

We will put CO4x4 in front of us since it looks like it's only a few trucks. Randy in front....no way he drives tooo slow.:snail:

RLMS
06-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Well shucks is right, sorry you can't make it Scott!

We will put CO4x4 in front of us since it looks like it's only a few trucks. Randy in front....no way he drives tooo slow.:snail: :lmao::lmao:

pramjockey
06-16-2011, 10:50 AM
If I'm not too late, would it be OK if I came along? Turns out the wife's going to be working, so getting the truck dirty became an option.

Air Randy
06-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know if the bridge has been fixed so we can take the direct route to the trailhead, or do we have to still do the big loop around on the pavement? Just curious.

We'll lead with the Meanie for those wanting to take the obstacle. Everyone should come prepared for this to be a looooong day. If we have folks ahead of us I'll bet we spend a lot of time sitting around enjoying the scenery :D

FJBRADY
06-16-2011, 11:07 AM
If I'm not too late, would it be OK if I came along? Turns out the wife's going to be working, so getting the truck dirty became an option.

Right on, the more the merrier, I say.

pramjockey
06-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Hooray! See you guys Sunday morning.

gm4x4lover
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know if the bridge has been fixed so we can take the direct route to the trailhead, or do we have to still do the big loop around on the pavement? Just curious.

Last time I drove by there it looked like the bridge was finished and passable.

Air Randy
06-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Last time I drove by there it looked like the bridge was finished and passable.

Cool, you guys bringing the K5 and the XJ?

gm4x4lover
06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
just the k5

Beater
06-17-2011, 08:13 AM
basketball tournament - sorry

FJBRADY
06-17-2011, 08:18 AM
basketball tournament - sorry

No worries, we will catch up to you the next time!

Jacket
06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm 50/50 at this point. I've got my rear locker working again, but I need to figure out a plan that works for the family (which is decidedly harder than swapping a locker actuator....).

Karst8835
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Looks like I will not be able to make the run this year.

FJBRADY
06-17-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm 50/50 at this point. I've got my rear locker working again, but I need to figure out a plan that works for the family (which is decidedly harder than swapping a locker actuator....).

Here's to 50% :beer:

Looks like I will not be able to make the run this year.

Sorry you can't make it Jack.

FJBRADY
06-18-2011, 04:23 PM
"We will meet at the Downieville Burger King parking lot at the I-70 Downieville exit. 8 am meet time to air down, ect. Plan on being on the trail at 8:30."

See everyone in the morning.:thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
06-18-2011, 04:34 PM
"We will meet at the Downieville Burger King parking lot at the I-70 Downieville exit. 8 am meet time to air down, ect. Plan on being on the trail at 8:30."

See everyone in the morning.:thumb:

Not going to make it this year. Please take some good recovery photos, I am sure there will be a few.....

RLMS
06-18-2011, 06:37 PM
"The Dogs Bollocks" is ready, just need to load in the morning! Can't wait!

Justin

Jacket
06-18-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm not going to make it either. 11 hours of seat time today in the truck has my butt worn out....

FJBRADY
06-18-2011, 08:12 PM
"The Dogs Bollocks" is ready, just need to load in the morning! Can't wait!

Justin

Me too, Aired down, hubs locked waiting to load in the am!

The Dogs Bollocks.........:confused:

RLMS
06-18-2011, 10:14 PM
It a british term...Thats the name of roberts rig. Being british it works out for him!

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/dog%27s%20bollocks.html

pramjockey
06-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Got a set of sliders installed on the FJ today (what a serious PITA that was). Looking forward to testing them out. See y'all in a few hours...