PDA

View Full Version : tranny swap

BreckBJ44
05-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Anyone want to help me swap a tranny in the next few weeks? I buy beer and pizza!

I know how to do it, but with a few extra hands it can be a quick and easy job. I am not doing a clutch or anything else, just swapping the transmissions.

Kraig.

RicardoJM
05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Will you be doing it here in town or up in the mountains?

sno bored
05-25-2011, 04:09 PM

If it's in Breck I could give a hand.

Old40Dog
05-25-2011, 05:33 PM

:eek: OR... "On the road between Denver and Breckenridge"? :eek:

Sorry Kraig, but I'm already committed this and next weekend. 11th-12th Maybe.

DanS
05-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Weekends are generally when I work, but keep me posted....

Dan

BreckBJ44
05-25-2011, 07:21 PM
I can be free anytime the hands are. I can also do it wherever the help is. I have a few of the tools and a floor jack, but was really going to do a driveway job unless someone has a better location. I am mostly in Denver so front range would be optimal! Also, I will do it whenever. I a just getting tired of a 55-60mph top comfortable speed on 25

K

nuclearlemon
05-26-2011, 07:11 AM
i can help but not until the 11-12 also. fwiw, i need to do a rear main seal, and will be wanting the same help at some point. ;)

Air Randy
05-26-2011, 09:31 AM
If you wait a few weeks you can come to Franktown and do the swap on my new hoist :D:D

FJBRADY
05-26-2011, 09:51 AM
If you wait a few weeks you can come to Franktown and do the swap on my new hoist :D:D

Ohhh snap you got a new hoist! I'll bring the :beer:

pramjockey
05-27-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't have a hoist, but I've got some hands and some tools and a willingness to help & learn!

BreckBJ44
05-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Hoist sounds great! Maybe we can get a Rear Main and Tranny party going! I have something next weekend but am clear after that. Sounds like the 11th/12th it is!

Ige, did you have room for me to come up there, or should we find a larger place?

More hands the merrier! I will post up the location and when I hear from Ige and will bring enough beer and pizza for however many people want to come and help. More hands = faster work = earlier beer +food.

Ige as an aside, Would you have a drill bit large enough for stock roll bar mounting bolts? I have two roll bars (main hoops) I am mounting before the HT comes off and need to drill the holes (JDMs didn't have the bars). Maybe I can kill a few of the birds with one stone.

nuclearlemon
05-29-2011, 07:23 PM
got a nice big driveway, cherry picker, tranny jack that might work, motorcycle lift, lots of drill bits, all kinds of stuff;)

BreckBJ44
06-10-2011, 11:35 PM
So this weekend got snagged out from under me by a lacrosse tournament I was asked to coach for.

Ige, How is next weekend looking for you and your driveway!? Offer for beer and pizza for those willing to lend a hand still stand!

K

nuclearlemon
06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
that's ok, cause i wasn't here this weekend ;)

next weekend should be good to go

BreckBJ44
06-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Awesome. I will touch base as we get closer! Ige, I know you are an amazing mechanic, but how well do you know the H55? Enough to give me a good visual inspection before we drop it in?

K

BreckBJ44
06-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Ige,

Does tomorrow or Sunday work better for you? I'm open tomorrow afternoon (around 1) or all day Sunday... Let me know what day works and what beer you like...

K

BreckBJ44
06-18-2011, 07:48 PM
So, looks like I'm heading over to Ige's tomorrow at around 9am to get the tranny swapped in. I will bringing some beer and ordering pizza if anyone has some stuff to work on and make it a morning!

K

RicardoJM
06-19-2011, 08:39 AM
I believe I will be there:D

BreckBJ44
06-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Shout out to Ige and Ricardo!

Two trannys pulled, played with and installed in 6 hours! I still have driveshafts to figure out, but all in all a very productive day... Ige, thanks for the help, knowledge, car storage for the night, and the ride home! See you tomorrow for a margarita and some 5 gear testing!

K

RicardoJM
06-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Get those drive shafts figured out and find out how it runs:D.

OilHammer
06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Did you put a used 5spd in there w/o popping the top cover and inspecting the synchcros? It's very common for first and second to be worn enough that you feel it. Depending on the miles, the 5th gear bearings can be pretty worn as well.

BreckBJ44
06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes and yes... The guy I bought it from was reputable and the gear lube looked good on the way out. My best intentions are to frame off my truck starting sometime this winter so when i have everything apart i was going to go through the tranny/transfer.

So far shifting has been great, 5 gear is Awesome! I drove to boulder and stayed around 60 and it was so *hush* quiet in the truck it was pretty cool, even without the carpet and OEM floor mat. I can't wait to hear it when I put the mat back in!. Also, with replacing the driveshafts with ones with better u joints and making sure all of the driveshaft bolts were tight, the vibration level is much better.

I did post a few questions in the tech section about a few things I see going on and want to understand.

K

RicardoJM
06-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Most excellent news:thumb: :D Glad to hear that it is up and running. I understand you still have to figure out the lever, hopefully it is not a huge ordeal to sort that out.

BreckBJ44
06-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I can get the cover on so at least it keeps the hot air from the engine out, but I will like it when I have it all buttoned up.

There are plenty around, it is just getting one to me since I am heading to the mountains that is the ordeal.