PDA

View Full Version : Shaky mirror because the screw fell out!

wa11y
06-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Recently bought a 1995 Land Cruiser (thanks to Snowrun, Simps80 and TreerootCO!) and naturally, it has a shaky mirror on the driver's side. One of the tabs is broken, so I plan on repairing that, but yesterday, as I was pulling into my driveway, the mirror fell out, and hung by the wire. Seems it was also shaking because the screw was loose, and had at some point fallen out. I looked all round my driveway, but I'm assuming the screw fell out sometime before then as I wasn't able to find it.

I checked Home Depot, and will try Ace Hardware today, but I've not been able to find a suitable replacement screw. I called Stevenson West today, but they don't stock just the screw, and I'd have to buy the whole mirror unit, at $345. All for the want of a screw.

This cruiser is my daily driver, and I don't like driving it around without the driver's side mirror.

Any recommendations on where I can get a replacement screw? Does anyone know of any scrap yard cruisers that have a good mirror I can go get the screw from? Does anyone have a spare?

simps80
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
take the screw out of the other side and go to E&G terminal in commerce city by sapp brothers

lowes might have something they used to have a huge metric selection

wa11y
06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks, I'll go check that out. I didn't try Lowes, because I didn't figure they had much different than Home Depot. The little board Home Depot has in their screws department didn't have the same size and thread pitch as the one from the passenger mirror, so I'm not even sure about that.

subzali
06-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Fastenal and AAA Metric also carry metric hardware. Not sure exactly what the screw looks like you're talking about, if it's a specialty item or not. Maybe SOR carries it? Or you could try doing a search on car-part.com to see who might have a junkyard mirror you could pull from.

wa11y
06-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Dan from Stevenson's Parts department also recommended Fastenal. Since you just brought it up again, I just did a google search for it, and turns out it's pretty much on my way home from work. So yeah, I may have to stop.

And the screw I'm talking about is the screw that holds the mirror motor into place. There's a hole in the bottom of your mirror housing, and just up through that is a phillips head screw with some pretty serious threading that holds the mirror in place, along with the two tabs. That screw fell out, so my mirror was only holding on by one of the tabs (since one was broken). It seems pretty special to me.

subzali
06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
blue loctite when you get a new one.

wa11y
06-09-2011, 02:19 PM
While normally I find blue loctite to be a good solution, I don't think it's the right one in this situation.

The problem, near as I can tell, is that the plastic around the screw hole has cracks in it. Bound to happen for any plastic as it gets older, especially when it's exposed to the elements and the type of temperature changes we get here.

What I'm looking at doing is reinforcing the screw hole with some epoxy. But not just any epoxy. I'm talking GOD'S OWN EPOXY! (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1038/product/ACRAGLAS_GEL_reg_). Seriously, this stuff is nothing to mess with. Where I've had normal two-part epoxy fail, this stuff really holds hard.

So, my thinking is to mix up a small batch, reinforce the tabs on the passenger side mirror (they haven't broke YET, but are cracking), and put a small dab inside the screw hole. Then put some Johnson's Paste Wax on the screw to act as a release agent (so I'm not just gluing the screw into the hole), and run the screw up into the hole, so the epoxy fills in the cracks and any stripped threading. After about 10 to 12 hours, I'll remove the screw, and let the epoxy air dry the rest of the way. Should be good to go, assuming I use enough release agent.

I've also got a spare motor that has the other tab broken from the motor that's currently in my driver's mirror, so I'm going to cut the good tab off that spare motor, and cut the broken tab off the current motor, and see about using the same epoxy to replace it. Maybe shore it up a little with some more of that epoxy.

60wag
06-09-2011, 02:38 PM
The four screws holding the mirror housing together, (behind the glass) are the same as the one that fell out the bottom. You could use one of the four for the bottom screw.

wa11y
06-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Sometimes, it's the simple things that are the most worth knowing. The motor is useless with just one screw missing, but the mirror housing has four screws, and can get by with only three.

So that's just awesome. Thanks for sharing that information, 60wag. I'm still going to get a replacement when I can, but now it's less critical since I can just pull one of the screws out of the mount.

Epoxy is setting as we speak. Should be ready to install tomorrow morning.

wa11y
06-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Edit: Well...shoot.

Hulk
06-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Post some pics!

wa11y
06-10-2011, 09:06 AM
I'll see about getting some tonight. I still have to repair the broken tab on my driver's side mirror, but the screw hole seems to be much better. I should have roughed up the outside before gluing it, but the epoxy got into the cracks just fine. Before the epoxy, I could push the screw about 3/4 in without having to twist it at all. Now it has to twist from the get go. I'm going to let the epoxy harden the full 24 hours before putting it back in. Though, I did put enough release agent on it, so the screw came right out.

Found out my passenger side mirror was cracked worse than I thought it was, so it's a good thing I decided to fix that. I did rough up the smooth plastic on that tab, though, and it seems to be holding great. I put it back in this morning, and had no problems on the ride to work. Although, pulling the motor off from the mirror, I found the gears that adjust the direction the mirror's facing had a broken tooth of each, so it only moves so far before it starts clicking. Guess I still need to find a scrapyard that I can get the mirrors from to replace those. I also didn't get the rubber boots around those gears back on right, so I'll have to pull it apart again tonight, fish out the broken tooth, and get the boots back on right.

simps80
06-10-2011, 03:31 PM
booooooooo

too many words

enough glue talk

bring us the pictures

(even though I know that truck very very well) ;)

want me to post some? i've probably got several albums of it from when it was terry's ... just kidding ... not gonna do it ... wouldn't be prudent...

wa11y
06-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Won't be getting any pictures tonight. More concerned about getting it fixed ASAP than documenting it.

Driving up to Pawnee tomorrow (hence my need to get the mirror fixed) so I'll try to get some photos in an environment that it looks like I actually use my 80 for more than hanging out in mall parking lots.

simps80
06-10-2011, 11:51 PM
not talking about pictures of your mirror glue job

talking about pictures of trucks any trucks

pawnee....hmmm....i bet i know what that's about

have fun

wa11y
06-11-2011, 07:11 AM
I'll have some pics of the repair job with some lessons learned soon. And yeah, I'm sure you do.

wa11y
06-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I was going to be a smartass and post a "let me google that for you" link pointing to Google Images for "blue 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser" but couldn't figure it out in the two seconds I spent on it. But it's basically a blue 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser. Pretty much stock.

http://wa11y.net/images/cruiser/pawnee1.jpg

http://wa11y.net/images/cruiser/pawnee2.jpg

Okay, so someone did pay extra for the gold trim and lack of roof rack.

And I just found this a few minutes ago. When I was driving back from Pawnee, a horse trailer in front of me kicked up a big dirt clod with some gravel in it. It didn't put any more cracks in the windshield, so I thought I got away unscathed.

Boy, was I wrong.
http://wa11y.net/images/cruiser/lights_out.jpg

simps80
06-12-2011, 09:49 PM
you forgot to mention the custom 'blacked out' hub caps.

wa11y
06-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Is that what those are? I was wondering.

Also, lessons learned:

http://wa11y.net/images/cruiser/lessons_learned.jpg
1. Make sure the tab you're using for a replacement is not so worn that you'll just be reintroducing a different cause for mirror wobble. Epoxy's drying right now, tomorrow morning I'll have to shape the epoxy to properly fit the hook.
2. If you've got cracks around the screw hole, don't just fill this part in with epoxy. There's a tab on the mount that has to go in there!
3. Again, if you have to epoxy around the screw hole, make sure you file this section flat so it will fit in the mount.

wa11y
06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Be careful when you're putting your mirror back on the motor. Make sure it's on a supported surface.

http://wa11y.net/images/cruiser/7-years.jpg

simps80
06-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Be careful when you're putting your mirror back on the motor. Make sure it's on a supported surface.

you need to stencil on the following warning:

"Objects in mirror are less screwy than they appear"

treerootCO
06-14-2011, 08:13 AM
I have swapped the mirror glass in the Ptarmigan twice. It was about $12.00. Swing her by and we'll put a new one in.

We can also install the H-MOD (http://www.muthco.com/products/upgrade-modules/#h-mod_upgrade) while we are in there ;)

corsair23
06-14-2011, 12:33 PM
We can also install the H-MOD (http://www.muthco.com/products/upgrade-modules/#h-mod_upgrade) while we are in there ;)

:thumb:

I only miss a couple things about my '99 Durango...The power and the heated side mirrors in the winter :)

wa11y
06-14-2011, 12:51 PM
I have swapped the mirror glass in the Ptarmigan twice. It was about $12.00. Swing her by and we'll put a new one in.

Awesome, thanks.

And I was wondering about heated mirrors. I know the Lexus has them, was wondering if I needed to seek out a junk yard LX450 to get the mirrors off it for that.

corsair23
06-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Awesome, thanks.

And I was wondering about heated mirrors. I know the Lexus has them, was wondering if I needed to seek out a junk yard LX450 to get the mirrors off it for that.

The LX450 unfortunately does NOT have them :(

Maybe starting in '98 with the UZJ100 :confused: