PDA

View Full Version : Throwout bearing?

RedCreeper
06-10-2011, 09:07 AM
I have one question. On the FJC I believe the Throwout bearing was squeaking. I always thought it was a belt. Can a bad bearing cause or create a clutch to fail? TIA

rover67
06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
If the bearing wasn't spinning right it could take out the fingers on the pressure plate. It would be obvious when it was disassembled since the fingers would be destroyed.

Another possibility is that the install of the bearing was incorrect or it was setup wrong, or maybe the wrong part, and it was not allowing the pressure plate to clamp fully on the disk letting it wear prematurely. In other words the bearing was always pushing on the pressure plate.

That's all I got...

Air Randy
06-10-2011, 10:04 AM
I have one question. On the FJC I believe the Throwout bearing was squeaking. I always thought it was a belt. Can a bad bearing cause or create a clutch to fail? TIA

When you say "the clutch failed" what does that mean specifically?

Does the clutch allow you to engage the gears but slips so much the vehicle barely moves? If so, that tells me the throw out bearing is probably working and the pressure plate is disengaging enough for you to get it in gear. The failure is usually a combination of the pressure plate no longer generating enough clamping force which has allowed the disc to wear out prematurely and worsen the symptoms. Usually, if the cause of the pressure plate not clamping is because the throw out bearing is riding the fingers constantly, the throw out bearing will be screeching pretty quickly.

If you can't seem to get the clutch to release to allow you to put it in gear, try shutting the engine off, put it in gear and then start it while depressing the clutch. If the car moves forward even though the pedal is depressed it could be due to a throw out bearing or the actuation system (clutch master/slave cylinders) failing. The pressure plate and disc may be fine. Or, if the pressure plate fails (won't release) it could have similar symptoms. Usually, when a pressure plate fails like this you get other noises as you usually have little springs or other bits rattling around in the bell housing.

Check the actuation system first to see if a master/slave has failed. If its not that then you're going to have to drop the bell housing regardless of what else failed.

RedCreeper
06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks gang.

Randy when i say fail i mean i went for fifth gear and it did not keep moving. it went POOF! i drifted to the side of 25 and had nothing. No engagement at all. My experience tells me the clutch is toast. I had the throwout done at 40000 when it was squealing and the clutch never felt the same. I had them adjust it and all they told me is it was fine and normal. I dont call coming half way off the floor till it engages and only a quarter inch of grab normal. was not this way when it was new. So as i sit and argue with the dealership i am going threw my head all that could be wrong and everything leads me back the the throwout bearing. I have never had a clutch let go like this and never had one go at 81000. for the past 6-8 months i have heard a squealing or squeaking noise. i always thought it was a belt but never could pin point it. all ways sounded like it was coming from the lower part of the engine so i thought a lower pully. All i know is i am mad since it took ALL day for them to look at it and it never moved from where i left it. and they finally call me 5 minutes before they close to tell me they cant do anything since we are past the time frame of the warrenty. It took ALL day for them to figure this out after sitting in it for maybe 5 minutes to say it wont engage or move on its own. I told them that. duh! I hate when i am talked to like a dummy.

RedCreeper
06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Well i got a call from the dealership today finally and have been working with Robbie in getting this figured out. They took it apart and low and behold...... the clutch came apart. They are going to send me some PICS so when i get them i will post up. So much for it being normal wear and the driver. There is a TSB on it and now i am waiting for Toyota to see what they are going to do. Thanks Robbie for all your help.

On another note while stressing about this i have been looking at the TSBs on the FJCs and found a few i may need to get it in for.......

Should of stayed with JEEPS..... hahahahahahahahaa

RockRunner
06-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Can you please post up the TSB's, we lost Justin at Burt so now we are out of the loop. Sharon has an 07 with an auto in it. TIA and good luck!

Air Randy
06-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Well i got a call from the dealership today finally and have been working with Robbie in getting this figured out. They took it apart and low and behold...... the clutch came apart. They are going to send me some PICS so when i get them i will post up. So much for it being normal wear and the driver. There is a TSB on it and now i am waiting for Toyota to see what they are going to do. Thanks Robbie for all your help.

On another note while stressing about this i have been looking at the TSBs on the FJCs and found a few i may need to get it in for.......

It's not too late to trade it in for one of those nice 4 door Rubicons. In fact, why don't you ask Steve Brady about how much he and Michelle like their brand new one :D

Uncle Ben
06-13-2011, 11:04 PM

Should get a Cruiser! ;)

Jacket
06-14-2011, 10:40 AM
why don't you ask Steve Brady about how much he and Michelle like their brand new one :D

Cool. Let's see some pics!

RedCreeper
06-14-2011, 11:13 AM
here are some of the pics. Still waiting on them to make a decision.

RedCreeper
06-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Should get a Cruiser! ;)

yeah just may but money talks.

RedCreeper
06-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Tom, The TSB on the clutch is TSB-0385-09 Nov 23, 09
All the other TSBs i have found are for manuals. Like stiff shifting when cold. Yours is a Auto so not sure what is out there. If i come across any i will do my diligence to keep you in the loop. That is unless i give up and sell it.

FJBRADY
06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Cool. Let's see some pics!

Hijack on:
In due time. 3" lift ordering today, installed within a few weeks before a trip to Discount Tire for some 35's.:hill: Michele is making me Man up the truck ;)
Hijack off:

Red_Chili
06-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Should get a Cruiser! ;)
Yeah buddy... that name plate makes all the difference...

Red_Chili
06-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Hijack on:
In due time. 3" lift ordering today, installed within a few weeks before a trip to Discount Tire for some 35's.:hill: Michele is making me Man up the truck ;)
Hijack off:
No pix... not happening...

Oh... be sure to change the nameplate... :cheers: :thumb:

FJBRADY
06-14-2011, 02:02 PM
No pix... not happening...

Oh... be sure to change the nameplate... :cheers: :thumb:

Patience ohh Mr Red Chili son patience.

No nameplate change on my sig. cuz, cuz the Rubicon is not mine it's :Princess:'s

Officially hijacked now.

Red_Chili
06-14-2011, 02:23 PM
So... it's an FJK? :D

FJBRADY
06-14-2011, 02:39 PM
So... it's an FJK? :D

That works :cheers:

RockRunner
06-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Sharon said "Way to go girl!! When is the party?"

RedCreeper
06-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Toyota denied the claim. On to the top....

RedCreeper
06-15-2011, 10:42 AM
I have been talking with Robbie and he has been really helpful and keeping Bill in the loop. I hope to have a call from the dealership today to get this figured out. I always say its not what you know but who you know. Thanks Robbie.

Air Randy
06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
That works :cheers:

I dont get it. You need to 'splain to me what "FJK" stands for relative to a Jeep Rubicon.

FJBRADY
06-15-2011, 11:37 AM
I dont get it. You need to 'splain to me what "FJK" stands for relative to a Jeep Rubicon.

Dood

FJ + JK = FJK

Air Randy
06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Dood, like I'm supposed to know that a Rubicon is also called a JK? Thats like, totally awesome man. Farout :)

60wag
06-15-2011, 12:46 PM
JK = just kidding

FJBRADY
06-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Dood, like I'm supposed to know that a Rubicon is also called a JK? Thats like, totally awesome man. Farout :)

I thought you were Omniscient.:dunno:

RedCreeper
06-15-2011, 01:02 PM
I thought you were Omniscient.:dunno:

For the record the Rubicon is a package so the model of the Jeep is a JK. Like the Trail Team FJC. :thumb:

subzali
06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Glad you clarified that, cause I was about to.

:doh:

I know too much about Jeeps.

RedCreeper
06-15-2011, 04:31 PM
yeah i know a little about them to but not a expert by all means.... hehe

the Jeep alphabet soup alone is enough to give one a headache.

MA
GP
GPW
M38
CJ
YJ
TJ
LJ
SJ
JK
FSJ
MB
KJ
XJ
MJ
ZJ
WJ
WK
MJ
DJ
VJ
FC

subzali
06-15-2011, 05:07 PM
It's nothing compared to Land Cruiser:

BJ
FJ25
FJ28
FJ35
FJ40
FJ43
FJ45
BJ41
BJ40
BJ42
BJ44
BJ46
HJ47
HJ45
FJ55
FJ56
FJ60
HJ60
HJ61
FJ62
FJ70
BJ70
FJ73
LJ71
BJ74
LJ78
HZJ75
HZJ78
HZJ79
FJ80
FZJ80
HJ80
HDJ81
UZJ100
HDJ105
GRJ200

and the list goes on and on, I probably got a lot of those wrong and I know I'm missing a lot.

RedCreeper
06-15-2011, 05:22 PM
thats funny. i may have missed some to. i did say i was no expert. haha

so there are some similarities between brands.

UPDATE:
Toyota has said they will cover parts and the Dealership took 15% off labor. The end cost a WHOLE lot better than what i started with. A little more feasable. Thanks Robbie for all your help with this. Please send a big thanks to Bill also. Just wish i could get it back faster.

corsair23
06-16-2011, 12:48 PM
UPDATE:
Toyota has said they will cover parts and the Dealership took 15% off labor. The end cost a WHOLE lot better than what i started with. A little more feasable. Thanks Robbie for all your help with this. Please send a big thanks to Bill also. Just wish i could get it back faster.

Good to hear :thumb:

Sucks that you have to go through all this though...

RedCreeper
06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
yeah i am a believer in sign or signals. there is a JK Rubicon in there used lot. only thing its a auto.

RedCreeper
06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
To many signs..... now the truck with my parts blew over. not sure if the parts will be in today or not. just my luck.

RedCreeper
06-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Well i finally got the FJC back and what a difference. It is so smooth compared to before and it grabs when i come of the floor. not like before. I looked at the new parts and they redesigned the whole clutch disc. A big thanks to Robbie and Bill.

corsair23
06-20-2011, 01:09 PM
:thumb:

Congrats!!

Red_Chili
06-20-2011, 03:25 PM
It's a sad thing Toyota had to have an arm twisting to cover just parts. Reminds me of when my HG blew on the 90 3.slo. They fought and fought. In the end a recall happened only months later. Very disappointing.

RedCreeper
06-21-2011, 10:44 AM
I am surprised there was not recall on these. Like i said the new clutch was redesigned and just looked a lot stronger. Man what a difference.

On a side note and not to brag but they kept saying it is the way i drive that caused this till they seen what happend. well i attest my driving to this clutch staying together for another 40000. SO THERE TOYOTEE!!

RedCreeper
06-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I am surprised there was not recall on these. Like i said the new clutch was redesigned and just looked a lot stronger. Man what a difference.

On a side note and not to brag but they kept saying it is the way i drive that caused this till they seen what happend. well i attest my driving to this clutch staying together for another 40000. SO THERE TOYOTEE!!