PDA

View Full Version : 80 ebrake drum

Jacket
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Anybody inspected/rebuilt their 80 ebrake drum parts lately? I took one of my rear discs off a couple of days ago to inspect/adjust, and when I did one of the spring cups popped out/off (the rear), and the other was really loose (the front).

I put it all back together, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the front shoe to get tensioned down again. Both shoes have a little spring cup assembly to tension them against the backing plate - 49, 42 and 48 in the picture get attached to the pins (18 and 17).

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/fzj80/ebrake.gif.gif

So the rear pin and spring cup assembly holds the shoe with a good bit of tension. But the front pin and cup assembly (left side in the picture) seems too long and when I assembly it the brake shoe just wobbles loosely. If I put it all back together and adjust the shoes, when I drive it the loose shoe rattles around in the drum.

What am I missing? I didn't really take anything apart in the assembly, and I don't see any random springs or parts on the floor. Pin 18 is quite a bit longer than 17 as you can see in the pictures, but I can't account for what the extra length is needed for - it just makes it so that I can't tension the shoe.

Help wanted....

nakman
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
I seem to remember getting it all back together and holding it in place while I used some fancy technique with the screwdriver and needle nose to get spring #16 in place, that was the last thing assembled.

But I can't remember the 80 being much different from any other drum. I adjusted mine prior to CM and it's still working great.. do you have both sides torn down? If not maybe you could look at the other side to see what's different. And if so, you're welcome to come over and look at mine for a while.

powderpig
06-14-2011, 10:34 PM
If the parking shoes were tight in the adjustment, it could of stretched the u-shaped hold down pin(#18) a bit upon removal. I have had this happen to me more than once. One thing to do is to squeeze the pin back into length by making the two side even or parallel.
That should hold the shoe closer to the backing plate.

Jacket
06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks Tim. The other side is fine, and my visual inspection says all the springs and pins are in place. But I haven't done any disassembly (and don't want to.....).

Robbie - I think you nailed it. The pin with the bend in it (#18) did seem to be "flattened" as if it got pulled and straightened - maybe when I first removed the disc. But in the process of trying to re-bend it last night, the pin snapped, so.....I need to pick up a new one.

powderpig
06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
See what happens when you do technical stuff with a beer in your hands.