PDA

View Full Version : To tube or not to tube... that is the question

Rezarf
06-16-2011, 10:05 AM
So, as I look my cruiser over with all its rust issues, I am trying to decide if it is easier to fab up a set of tube fenders in the front verses bring the old ones back to life. I do rub quite a bit at the front corner near the turn signal and it always boogers up the sheet metal under full comression. Also each fender has some pretty rough rot at the usual spots under the turn signal and on the outside of the fender support.

Uncle Ben has mentioned doing the tube fender thing, and he knows a thing or two about 40's ;) However, Metal tech's are pretty thin guage tube for a tubed part. How hard is it to get two matching fenders bent with all those compound angles?

Which route would you suggest?

Thanks! :thumb:

SROR/AKA 2BAD
06-16-2011, 10:27 AM
I have a good right front FENDER OFF MY 69 IF YOU WANT IT

subzali
06-16-2011, 10:37 AM
why not downsize to 33s since you use your 40 as your DD? Then you wouldn't have rubbing issues.

FJBRADY
06-16-2011, 11:29 AM
So, as I look my cruiser over with all its rust issues, I am trying to decide if it is easier to fab up a set of tube fenders in the front verses bring the old ones back to life. I do rub quite a bit at the front corner near the turn signal and it always boogers up the sheet metal under full comression. Also each fender has some pretty rough rot at the usual spots under the turn signal and on the outside of the fender support.

Uncle Ben has mentioned doing the tube fender thing, and he knows a thing or two about 40's ;) However, Metal tech's are pretty thin guage tube for a tubed part. How hard is it to get two matching fenders bent with all those compound angles?

Which route would you suggest?

Thanks! :thumb:

Check also with Justin at Redline (RLMS on the forum). He fabbed up Randy's Mule with stout fenders that look pretty sharp and still keep the FJ40 lines.

FJBRADY
06-16-2011, 11:31 AM
why not downsize to 33s

Blasphemy

Air Randy
06-16-2011, 11:51 AM
If you want to keep it true to stock then replace the rotted fenders and either go with smaller tires or give it a bit more lift.

If you want to go with tube fenders, go to Justin as Steve suggests. I had him build tube fenders for the Mule. They look pretty close to stock and are almost bulletproof. When we did the full 360 roll in Moab the front stinger guard, the front tube fenders, the sliders and the rear tube tire guards were the only thing that touched the ground besides the windshield frame. Other than a cracked windshield/bent frame, we started it up and finished the rest of the trail. None of the tube work suffered anything more than some scratched paint.

I had him build mine extra wide to keep the wider axles, offset wheels and wide tires from slinging so much mud. But you could have him build yours to look as stock as possible.

There is no comparing his design to MT's. On mine, I can stand up on a front fender with full weight and it doesn't even flex muxh less bend.

wesintl
06-16-2011, 12:25 PM
why not downsize to 33s since you use your 40 as your DD? Then you wouldn't have rubbing issues.

Thornbirds don't come in 33's :confused: :dunno: :lmao: ;)

Jacket
06-16-2011, 12:27 PM

:lmao:

subzali
06-16-2011, 02:47 PM

:lmao: that was awesome Wes :thumb:

Dr. Schlegs
06-16-2011, 04:11 PM
You should get tube doors to finish that thing off. I know where you can get some cheap. ;)

JadeRunner
06-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Oh, give me a break.:rolleyes:

Blasphemy

Uncle Ben
06-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Going back to 33's is like putting on dirty underwear! Repair/replace the fenders and lower your bump stops or have some tube fenders made. Metal Techs are nice but they are too thin!

subzali
06-17-2011, 08:49 AM
:rolleyes:

okay, okay. Keep the 35s but then you should do a springover :D

FJBRADY
06-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Oh, give me a break.:rolleyes:

Going back to 33's is like putting on dirty underwear!

Thank you UB, that was my point.:perry:

Dr. Schlegs
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Going back to 33's is like putting on dirty underwear!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

RLMS
06-17-2011, 01:50 PM
I vote Tube, of coarse! We do have a tube fender kit, made of 120 wall 1.5"
You can get the soa version or the stock version!

Justin

Rezarf
06-19-2011, 11:11 PM
If you want to keep it true to stock then replace the rotted fenders and either go with smaller tires or give it a bit more lift.

If you want to go with tube fenders, go to Justin as Steve suggests. I had him build tube fenders for the Mule. They look pretty close to stock and are almost bulletproof. When we did the full 360 roll in Moab the front stinger guard, the front tube fenders, the sliders and the rear tube tire guards were the only thing that touched the ground besides the windshield frame. Other than a cracked windshield/bent frame, we started it up and finished the rest of the trail. None of the tube work suffered anything more than some scratched paint.

I had him build mine extra wide to keep the wider axles, offset wheels and wide tires from slinging so much mud. But you could have him build yours to look as stock as possible.

There is no comparing his design to MT's. On mine, I can stand up on a front fender with full weight and it doesn't even flex muxh less bend.

Thats a nice recommendation Randy, thanks.

Ha! Those cursed tires! Wes, you have a steel trap memory... :thumb::hill:

I vote Tube, of coarse! We do have a tube fender kit, made of 120 wall 1.5"
You can get the soa version or the stock version!

Justin

PM imbound!