PDA

View Full Version : garage floor help

Kenon698
06-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Has anyone painted or put an epoxy coating on their garage floors? What did you use and how difficult was it. Did you do it yourself or have it done?

FJ 432
06-17-2011, 08:34 AM
I have only sealed my floors. Epoxy from what I've read can be difficult with some/alot of prep work. A great resource for this question along with other garage related topics is www.garagejournal.com. Good luck.

RedCreeper
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
I did mine with U Coat it. A Bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Best stuff out there in my opinion. Prep was not hard for me since my floor was new. I did half my garage and covered the rest till i could get to it. Multiple steps and best done in the summer and no rain in the forcast. moisture and temp play a role in the cure process. I need to wash my floor now but still looks good after a few years. Tuff Stuff!! It rained when i did mine one day so had to wait and come back with a floor disc sander to roughen it up for the next step but all worked out in the end. I had to come back the next year because winter set in and was to cold to apply it. So in a way it was a PITA but in the end worth it. oil and chemicals come right up. There is i think 3 layers of stuff there with a flake and a salt for grip. I added the gloss over it also. a cool thing is to place your favorite stickers on the floor before the final coat of gloss to seal it in. good luck.

Dr. Schlegs
06-17-2011, 10:12 AM
I have been looking at the Behr stuff at Home Depot. It allows you to pick different colors. There are several videos on youtube. It seems like the most important thing is to have good concrete (not too much mosture). The other thing I like about the Behr product is that you can buy the individual items, rather than doing a preset kit.