PDA

View Full Version : So where's the biggest fireworks display for the 4th?

1loudLX
06-19-2011, 07:05 PM
OK so usually every 2nd, 3rd & 4th I get to watch some amazing fireworks displays at all the different beach clubs back in NY. Not going back for the 4th sooooo anyone got some recommendations on awesome fireworks displays to be seen out here? Do people even celebrate Independence Day out here? :lmao:

gr8fulabe
06-19-2011, 07:24 PM
If you like the Blues Brothers, go to their show at Red Rocks on the 4th. They play every year & take a set break right around the time the fireworks start. You can go up top at Red Rocks & see fireworks go off across the front range for like 100 miles. granted, they are farther away, so they are small, but it really is a neat sight, & a great show every year.

Crash
06-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Huh?

If you like the Blues Brothers, go to their show at Red Rocks on the 4th. They play every year & take a set break right around the time the fireworks start. You can go up top at Red Rocks & see fireworks go off across the front range for like 100 miles. granted, they are farther away, so they are small, but it really is a neat sight, & a great show every year.

Uncle Ben
06-19-2011, 08:10 PM
My wifes birthday is the 4th of July so where ever she want to go we go! In Colorado the two best places to be on the 4th that we have found is Ouray or Telluride. Both places will not have accommodation unless booked a minimum of 6 mos in advance! Ouray is just plain old fashioned (at the fringe of hooky) fun. The whole town is one huge party with activities everywhere. Have dinner at Buen Tiempo and you'll probably get to meet Dennis Weaver. Fireworks are shot off the switchbacks and the roar through the box canyon is unbelievable! Telluride is much more civilized but also ultra crowded. Stake out a spot near the court house early for the parade and you'll probably see Tom and Katie Cruise. Oprah is a regular in town also and has a awesome coffee shop on the East end of town. Fireworks are, beyond words, incredible and are shot over the park where a massive community BBQ is put on with games and entertainment a plenty!

Locally most places are similar and I haven't done Denver or south but up North, Longmont and Boulder seem to compete every year.

gr8fulabe
06-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Huh?

Sorry, Blues Traveler. Not sure where Blues Brothers typed out of...

gm4x4lover
06-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Palmer lake usually has some pretty sweet displays. They also have stuff going on all day.

farnhamstj
06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
The fireworks in Avon are pretty good. I think they claim largest in the state.(could be Vail marketing department rating)

Crash
06-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Another "Huh?" Dennis Weaver died in 2006. Not sure I'm ready to meet him in his current place of habitation. Some of you guys must have had a really good Fathers' Day! ;)

My wifes birthday is the 4th of July so where ever she want to go we go! In Colorado the two best places to be on the 4th that we have found is Ouray or Telluride. Both places will not have accommodation unless booked a minimum of 6 mos in advance! Ouray is just plain old fashioned (at the fringe of hooky) fun. The whole town is one huge party with activities everywhere. Have dinner at Buen Tiempo and you'll probably get to meet Dennis Weaver. Fireworks are shot off the switchbacks and the roar through the box canyon is unbelievable! Telluride is much more civilized but also ultra crowded. Stake out a spot near the court house early for the parade and you'll probably see Tom and Katie Cruise. Oprah is a regular in town also and has a awesome coffee shop on the East end of town. Fireworks are, beyond words, incredible and are shot over the park where a massive community BBQ is put on with games and entertainment a plenty!

Locally most places are similar and I haven't done Denver or south but up North, Longmont and Boulder seem to compete every year.

1loudLX
06-19-2011, 09:31 PM
granted, they are farther away, so they are small, but it really is a neat sight, & a great show every year.

When you're on the coast in Westchester County you can see fireworks going off over on Long Island.

The fireworks in Avon are pretty good. I think they claim largest in the state.(could be Vail marketing department rating)

Like when they say 14" of fresh and I get up there and there's maybe 3"?

Getting a high perch and looking out across the front range watching fireworks seems very romantic.

Nay
06-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Vail's fireworks are fantastic. I think seeing a good show in the high country is more than worth the trip.

1loudLX
06-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Sounds like I may need to take that trip.

Uncle Ben
06-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Another "Huh?" Dennis Weaver died in 2006. Not sure I'm ready to meet him in his current place of habitation. Some of you guys must have had a really good Fathers' Day! ;)

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Oh my. My Bad. I spaced that out totally but forgive me Dennis for my laughing! Good "Huh" Crash! :o:lmao: :beer2:

Corbet
06-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Frisco's show is not bad. We watched them from our yard for many years. But like anything in Summit County the parking and traffic sucks. Lots of off the beat and path camping spots in Summit though. I always wanted to hike up to the top of Mount Royal or even Peak One to watch the show but never did.

I have heard great things about Ouray and Silverton but have not made it up there yet even though its so close now.

We are camping at Vallecito Lake this year for the 4th and I can report back later.

I don't know anything about the front range shows.

Crash
06-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Find the old abandoned ski jump hill on the side of Mt. Royal near Kid's Pond in Frisco for a great view of the Frisco fireworks - if it isn't raining, that is. That used to be our back yard.
American Yacht Club on Milton Point was always a great spot to view local displays and you could see all of them on Long Island across the sound and clear down to Manhattan. About as spectacular as you could hope for. Then afterwards a boat ride around on the bay's cool water in the dark hot, muggy, smokey air - now that was romantic! God Bless America!!

Jacket
06-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Locally, if the Rockies and/or the Rapids are playing in town, there's usually a fireworks show downtown in one of the stadiums and visible from all around the area. And in Boulder there is a show in Folsom Field and you can watch in the stadium or head up into the hills above town and watch.

wesintl
06-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Wray, Co

nakman
06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Loud a boy your age needs to go to the hill in Boulder. Get on one of those rooftop bars near Broadway & Pleasant.. find a table that looks somewhat east towards campus. Later you'll see the show from Folsom, probably catch pieces of Longmont and Louisville too. But you'll be so busy looking at the locals you'll probably miss the fireworks altogether. :)

If you go mountains, Glenwood Springs actually has a nice show.. again if you can eat outside you can usually see them from your seat, did this once years ago from the Bayou cajun restaruant and it was excellent.

1loudLX
06-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Find the old abandoned ski jump hill on the side of Mt. Royal near Kid's Pond in Frisco for a great view of the Frisco fireworks - if it isn't raining, that is. That used to be our back yard.
American Yacht Club on Milton Point was always a great spot to view local displays and you could see all of them on Long Island across the sound and clear down to Manhattan. About as spectacular as you could hope for. Then afterwards a boat ride around on the bay's cool water in the dark hot, muggy, smokey air - now that was romantic! God Bless America!!

I lived in Rye, but you knew that :p:

Sometimes we'd go out on the water for the fireworks and watch it without a crowd. :thumb:

RockRunner
06-21-2011, 10:03 PM
I'll toss the hat in the ring for Granby, believe it or not for a tiny town it has a show that lasts nearly 20 minutes and is awesome. There are bars along the lake and also the park along the lake.

We may go up there again this year and take the boat so we can watch from the water.