PDA

View Full Version : Need an FJ40/55/60/80R 3rd member

Air Randy
06-20-2011, 02:05 PM
I need an inexpensive 3rd member that I can disassemble to build up a unit with 4.88 and an ARB in it. Thanks

Air Randy
06-20-2011, 02:06 PM
I need an inexpensive 3rd member that I can disassemble to build up a unit with 4.88 and an ARB in it. Thanks

satchel
06-20-2011, 02:12 PM
One of the 4.11's I got from cruiserparts.net was making a really bad clicking sound, so it is just sitting in case I feel like rebuilding another one. If you want it you can have it, if that would work for you. I certainly wouldn't want to give it to anyone without it being rebuilt.

satchel
06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Now that I think about it, I also have 2 good 3.73 diffs, one from the front and one from the back.

Nstimac
06-20-2011, 02:45 PM
pm'd

Air Randy
06-20-2011, 03:19 PM
One of the 4.11's I got from cruiserparts.net was making a really bad clicking sound, so it is just sitting in case I feel like rebuilding another one. If you want it you can have it, if that would work for you. I certainly wouldn't want to give it to anyone without it being rebuilt.

The one with the bad clicking sound would be perfect. The noise has got to either be a bad bearing or a bad gear set and I'm replacing all of those things. What do I have to do to get that unit from you?

satchel
06-20-2011, 03:21 PM
You can just have it, I can bring it to the next meeting or if you need it before then I'm sure we can work something out. I work in Englewood if you are ever stopping through there.

Air Randy
06-20-2011, 03:23 PM
You can just have it, I can bring it to the next meeting or if you need it before then I'm sure we can work something out. I work in Englewood if you are ever stopping through there.

Is it available today or tomorrow? Give me a call on my cell at three oh three three one nine eight nine seven six so we can work out the details. Thanks!

satchel
06-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Sure is. I'm in Aurora (225 and Mississippi) if you want to stop by, or I can bring it to work tomorrow if you would rather stop by 25 and Arapahoe area. I can call you after work to go over the details if I don't hear from you before then.

powderpig
06-21-2011, 06:55 AM
If you are building this for a 80 series, I would stay with a 80 series case, it has better oiling and more support in the housing for strength. I have even used a 80 housing in a 40 and 60. I would not step back wards in case styles if this is used for a 80 series LC.
Good luck find one.

Rzeppa
06-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Randy, since you are regearing and wouldn't care about coarse spline pinion, I have spares you can have for free.

Air Randy
06-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Randy, since you are regearing and wouldn't care about coarse spline pinion, I have spares you can have for free.

Jeff,

Satchel fixed me up with a rebuilder unit. But next time you come down the hill, bring em with you if you just want to get rid of em. Having rebuildable cores around is always a good idea.

Rzeppa
06-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Jeff,

Satchel fixed me up with a rebuilder unit. But next time you come down the hill, bring em with you if you just want to get rid of em. Having rebuildable cores around is always a good idea.

I keep them around in case I or anyone needs one. I think I have about 3. They all work and are fine as trail spares. They're all 4.11, coarse pinion. One of them has coarse side gears even :hill:

I even have a pair of coarse rear axles to go with it in case anyone wants to "upgrade" to the "vintage" design :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I don't need to get rid of them, they don't take up much space in the garage and they are handy to have around. It would be nice if I had a pair that already had fine pinions, I'd love to re-gear the 60 to 4.11 but don't want to have to buy a gear set for it. My 40s are both already coarse so they're fine as spares for them.

RicardoJM
10-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Bumping this up as I'm replacing the lock-rite in the rear of my 40 with an ARB. Jeff, can I grab one of your thirds so that I can install the ARB without having to pull mine out of the truck?

Dr. Schlegs
10-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Ricardo, You need to tell me when you are going to set up the gears and ARB, so I can help. Randy said so.

Rzeppa
10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Bumping this up as I'm replacing the lock-rite in the rear of my 40 with an ARB. Jeff, can I grab one of your thirds so that I can install the ARB without having to pull mine out of the truck?

Of course Ricardo. What are you doing with your old Lock Right? (Hint Hint) ;)

RicardoJM
10-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Ricardo, You need to tell me when you are going to set up the gears and ARB, so I can help. Randy said so.
Will do:thumb: Actually, I'm not changing gears so I just need to move over the ring gear - though I'll likely end up replacing the pinion bearing since I'm in there along with new carrier bearings.

Of course Ricardo. What are you doing with your old Lock Right? (Hint Hint) ;)
Excellent, I'll give you a call to work out the details. :D. TheBoomBoom has his eye on the lock-rite for his truck.

Rzeppa
10-07-2011, 12:07 PM
TheBoomBoom has his eye on the lock-rite for his truck. I thought he had a mini truck? They use a completely different Lock Right than the one for the full size cruiser diff.

Old40Dog
10-07-2011, 12:28 PM

I know of a good new home for that Lock-rite just in case you were looking Ricardo.

Uncle Ben
10-07-2011, 12:51 PM
If you are building this for a 80 series, I would stay with a 80 series case, it has better oiling and more support in the housing for strength. I have even used a 80 housing in a 40 and 60. I would not step back wards in case styles if this is used for a 80 series LC.
Good luck find one.

I completely agree! The 80 drop out is stronger and better but lately have become expensive as salvage yards have learned! If its going in a 40/55/6x series for normal use any (real :p:) Cruiser rear drop out will work fine. If it's an 80 I would not go backwards or if your going for performance than you really want the 80 rear non-elocked drop out

RicardoJM
10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I thought he had a mini truck? They use a completely different Lock Right than the one for the full size cruiser diff.
I believe they are compatible, but I suppose we'll have to double check that.

I know of a good new home for that Lock-rite just in case you were looking Ricardo.
Yeah, but it looks like there is a line forming; TheBoomBoom, Mr. Zepp, Mr. Kaiser...

I completely agree! The 80 drop out is stronger and better but lately have become expensive as salvage yards have learned! If its going in a 40/55/6x series for normal use any (real :p:) Cruiser rear drop out will work fine. If it's an 80 I would not go backwards or if your going for performance than you really want the 80 rear non-elocked drop out
Nice information, in my case it is going into a 40.

Dr. Schlegs
10-07-2011, 01:03 PM
So if I were to put my 2 :drumsticks: 80 Rear 3rds in the 40 I just have to change the housing? I don't need different bearings or a different ARB unit?

Dr. Schlegs
10-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Sorry we are Highjacking your thread Ricardo. If the plan I have will work, I will yank my 40's rear 3rd member (4.11 and ARB) and you can have it. Just get me another ARB to put in an 80 housing for the 40. I could do that Tonight or this week end. Ask Randy the 40 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Oh and Rudy built my rear so you know it is good.:lmao:

Uncle Ben
10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
So if I were to put my 2 :drumsticks: 80 Rear 3rds in the 40 I just have to change the housing? I don't need different bearings or a different ARB unit?

You have 2 80 rear thirds? NO they wont work and you should sell me them for $20 imeadiately!!! OK I'm lying but if you do have set up 80 thirds, yes, they will drop directly into your LATE model 40 housings. (late referring to 30 spine axles) I have found that the jig used is slightly off on the mounting bolts but simply running a 3/8 drill through the holes on the 80 drop out will clean them out enough for it to slide right on the 40/55/60 housing studs. The pinion flange will be a different pattern. You can buy different flanges or if your lucky enough to have post 78 40/60 drop outs you already have fine spline flanges so just swap them. Again, if you are lucky enough to already have the round pinion flanges then you simply just rotate the drive shaft 45* and drill the new pattern into the round flange. (note: round flanges are the holy grail of flanges!) ALL Toyota drive shafts are hub concentric but several different bolt patterns are used. (meaning the raised alignment "hub" on the drive shaft flange is the same across the board)

Clear as mud?

Rzeppa
10-07-2011, 01:21 PM
if your lucky enough to have post 98 40/60 drop outs...

WoW! Where can I get a post 98 40? or 60 for that matter? Talk about holy grail!

:hill:

Uncle Ben
10-07-2011, 01:22 PM
WoW! Where can I get a post 98 40? or 60 for that matter? Talk about holy grail!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: no doubt....I want some!!!! Corrected....good catch!

Rzeppa
10-07-2011, 01:27 PM
I believe they are compatible, but I suppose we'll have to double check that.

They most definitely are not. Full size Land Cruiser diffs use model 1630, pickups with the 8" diff use model 1610. My daughter's '85 runner had one and when I pulled it and held it next to a LC Lock Right it was visibly smaller. There was something else that was different but the detail escapes me at the moment. I remember the 8" diff uses a roll pin instead of the bolt-retained cross shaft, but that wouldn't matter for the LR itself. Also on the mini truck the c-clips are on the wheel end of the axles at the brake backing plate instead of inside the diff.

http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/toyotalr.pdf

Uncle Ben
10-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Speaking of Holy Grails.....I have it from reliable sources that someone in the club has a uber elusive and thought to be a myth by many, 1984 FJ-40 with factory A/C and power steering! :eek: Maybe this post will flush out this precious mythical gem and it's equally exalted owner. I can only spread the rumor as I am not worthy to actually witness such dynasty. ;) :D

Rzeppa
10-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Speaking of Holy Grails.....I have it from reliable sources that someone in the club has a uber elusive and thought to be a myth by many, 1984 FJ-40 with factory A/C and power steering! :eek: Maybe this post will flush out this precious mythical gem and it's equally exalted owner. I can only spread the rumor as I am not worthy to actually witness such dynasty. ;) :D

I saw and touched one about 18-19 years ago. It was FS, in the parking lot in front of the Evergreen Safeway. Freeborn red, it had a quarter-sized spot of rust on the rear sill, otherwise was immaculate, bone stock and unmolested. It had about 50k miles and they were asking $11k. I wished I had the bucks, man that would have been an awesome rig to own and drive!

Uncle Ben
10-07-2011, 01:42 PM
They most definitely are not. Full size Land Cruiser diffs use model 1630, pickups with the 8" diff use model 1610. My daughter's '85 runner had one and when I pulled it and held it next to a LC Lock Right it was visibly smaller. There was something else that was different but the detail escapes me at the moment. I remember the 8" diff uses a roll pin instead of the bolt-retained cross shaft, but that wouldn't matter for the LR itself. Also on the mini truck the c-clips are on the wheel end of the axles at the brake backing plate instead of inside the diff.

http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/toyotalr.pdf

Mini Truck gears ------> http://constantbickering.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/science.jpg

Land Cruiser gears -------> http://www.qualitygear.com/images/part/dana80.png

Hulk
10-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Holy cow. I've only seen a few 1983 FJ40s. Never laid eyes on a 1984 model.

Rzeppa
10-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Holy cow. I've only seen a few 1983 FJ40s. Never laid eyes on a 1984 model.

Yeah, they guy definitely knew what he had. On the sign in the window he said that it was one of only 600 imported.

There's a guy on the LCML in Christianchurch NZ who has a 1985 FJ40. With drum brake in front, just like all the rest of the world got through the end of the 40 series run.

Dr. Schlegs
10-07-2011, 02:34 PM
You have 2 80 rear thirds? NO they wont work and you should sell me them for $20 imeadiately!!! OK I'm lying but if you do have set up 80 thirds, yes, they will drop directly into your LATE model 40 housings. (late referring to 30 spine axles) I have found that the jig used is slightly off on the mounting bolts but simply running a 3/8 drill through the holes on the 80 drop out will clean them out enough for it to slide right on the 40/55/60 housing studs. The pinion flange will be a different pattern. You can buy different flanges or if your lucky enough to have post 78 40/60 drop outs you already have fine spline flanges so just swap them. Again, if you are lucky enough to already have the round pinion flanges then you simply just rotate the drive shaft 45* and drill the new pattern into the round flange. (note: round flanges are the holy grail of flanges!) ALL Toyota drive shafts are hub concentric but several different bolt patterns are used. (meaning the raised alignment "hub" on the drive shaft flange is the same across the board)

Clear as mud?

So Tab A will fit into Slot B with some drilling and pounding? Oh, never mind I'll just talk to my Ford Mechanic.:lmao:

Uncle Ben
10-07-2011, 02:42 PM
So Tab A will fit into Slot B with some drilling and pounding? Oh, never mind I'll just talk to my Ford Mechanic.:lmao:

Man....if you discover a knot in your shoe lace do ya throw the shoe away or have yo momma untie it for ya? Get dirty dude....blood will flow but so will the skin thickness! ;)

subzali
10-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I've seen 2 1983 FJ40s. And I thought that that was the last year they were imported to the US, with fewer than 300 actually imported.

Dr. Schlegs
10-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Man....if you discover a knot in your shoe lace do ya throw the shoe away or have yo momma untie it for ya? Get dirty dude....blood will flow but so will the skin thickness! ;)

No I got it. Just trying to make a funny.:D My Ford Mechanic thinks I live too far away, but he is always willing to drink beer from the kegerator. Don't worry UB I have spilled a lot of blood in my day back in MN. It is nice to have people around to bounce ideas off of and to give guidance. I converted the brakes on the 40 with only information from the web. Now I have been given suggestions of how to improve it. I'm kicking myself know because I have to rework much of it.

Dr. Schlegs
10-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Um k, so now hows about the front axle of a 40? A 80 rear diff will slide into that as well?

I know this is kind of a dumb question. :o I know the 40 diffs are no different front or rear, but just want to ask in the event there is something I am not taking into account.

Uncle Ben
10-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Um k, so now hows about the front axle of a 40? A 80 rear diff will slide into that as well?

I know this is kind of a dumb question. :o I know the 40 diffs are no different front or rear, but just want to ask in the event there is something I am not taking into account.

You answered your own question. Do you want a smart arse answer or are you good now? :rolleyes: :p:

Dr. Schlegs
10-08-2011, 01:03 PM
You answered your own question. Do you want a smart arse answer or are you good now? :rolleyes: :p:

I'm good. I'm sure you will be about to use your smart arse answer later this week.:D