PDA

View Full Version : revive an old go cart

nakman
06-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Was over at Texas Chris' house tonight. his neighbor said he could have this old gocart, a 2-seater looks like one of those "yerf dogs" just older. Had probably been sitting outside for 2 years minimum. So we managed to get 3 of the 4 tires to hold air.. we drained the old gas, replaced a vacuum tube going from the carb to the valve cover, replaced the fuel line. Spent way too much time tracing this one ground wire that went to a kill switch, later learned if we left it disconnected we could see a spark from the spark plug when we cranked it- no spark when it was grounded to something.

After another hour of dragging this thing around the driveway one pull at a time, the best we could get was about 3 chugs of actual combustion. this was usually the 5th or 6th pull, after we squirted carb cleaner down the sparkplug hole. One guy would press the primer thing incessantly, prying up the throttle with the other hand, while the other guy pulled the cord with both arms.. that seemed to be the most effective method. Then the cord broke, so we figured that was a sign we should quit for the day :(

When we took the bubble looking cover off the carb, gas dripped everywhere.. so it's getting gas. It's getting a spark, at least somewhat from the old spark plug. It's new gas.. and it chugged about 3 strokes at least 5 different times, smoke came out and everything. But no way this thing was going to idle tonight. thoughts? :confused:

Rezarf
06-20-2011, 10:29 PM
I'd give it a slow drag around the block, or take it to a huge empty parking lot. I think it'd put you over the edge for getting all the stuck parts unstuck.

066wally
06-20-2011, 11:07 PM
I would suggest a good carb cleaning, take it apart and clean it. Probably a bunch of snot left in that thing from the old gas.

Uncle Ben
06-21-2011, 02:53 AM
I would suggest a good carb cleaning, take it apart and clean it. Probably a bunch of snot left in that thing from the old gas.

Sound advice! Old gas does not burn! At least pull the float bowl, clean it out and pull the main jet thats probably near the bottom of the float bowl and make sure its clean. Clean up the needle and seat and put it back together.

SteveH
06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Some older Briggs and Stratton engines have a diaphragm fuel pump that is run by pulses from the intake. If this diaphragm piece is cracked/stiff, the engine will not pump fuel and run. The piece is very inexpensive, and I usually buy a spare when I get one. You will find this piece during the carb disassembly/inspection process.

nakman
06-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah we pulled off the float bowl, and there was all sorts of snot in there. Cleaned it up ok and squired it pretty good with the cab cleaner. I didn't see a needle valve, this thing looks upside-down for some reason compared to a lawn mower. I'll ask Chris to put up some pics, maybe that will help the collective here...

Rzeppa
06-21-2011, 10:59 AM

X3. I had similar symptoms with my lawnmower this year first time out. I had put Sta-Bil in the gas last fall as I always do, ran it and then drained the tank and that is normally fine. This year it ran a little bit then would only give me a few chugs when I would pump the primer then die. Fresh gas no help, drain float and refill no good. Finally ended up kitting the carb, there was too much junk in it to just blow out with compressed air.

rover67
06-21-2011, 12:08 PM
you need to make sure the main jet and idle circuits are clear. with the float bowl off you should be able to see the passageways from underneath.. it might be easier to pull the carb all the way off and clean ti well though, just don't tear the gasket.

you can also try to use ether (starting fluid) to keep it running until it can run on it's own.... SOMETIMES the engine running will clear the jets and passageways well enought to make it run on it's own.

Rezarf
06-21-2011, 05:42 PM
you can also try to use ether (starting fluid) to keep it running until it can run on it's own.... SOMETIMES the engine running will clear the jets and passageways well enought to make it run on it's own.

I agree.

nakman
07-02-2011, 11:23 PM
No progress... haven't been back at it. Just getting around to posting a couple pictures.. that round thing that looks like an oil pressure sender is the float bowl, right? :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
07-02-2011, 11:27 PM
No progress... haven't been back at it. Just getting around to posting a couple pictures.. that round thing that looks like an oil pressure sender is the float bowl, right? :rolleyes:

Yes