PDA

View Full Version : Why am I spinning?

BreckBJ44
06-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I just installed an h55 behind my turboed 3B this last weekend (thanks Ige, Ricardo and Timz) and have a few q's

So I need to replace my t/case shift lever as i have the wrong one for a 40 and therefore I have the trans/trans cover and boots off or not in the right place. Therefore I can see my front driveshaft, which is spinning a little while I am driving.

I did some tests and when the truck is parked, I can get under it and spin the front driveshaft without anything grabbing.

In my estimation, this means I have one locking hub that is locked in and is causing the driveline to spin? It is not spinning as much or as smoothly (speed wise) as it should if in 4wd so am I on the right track?

I was planning on jacking one wheel and spinning it and if the driveshaft spins, I have the culprit... Anything I'm missing with this assumption?

Lastly, once I find which one is sticking, could it be as easy as removing the face plate (aisin) and cleaning it aout and making sure the ring gears are all in the right positions? I have a set of rebuilt aisins that I will install in a few weeks so I just want to make sure the front wheels are free until then...

Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Kraig

subzali
06-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Is it spinning as fast as your rear driveshaft would be? If so then you probably have a hub locked. It's easy enough to check them to make sure they're unlocked. If it's not spinning that fast it's probably just viscous drag from your t-case and/or front end. If you can hand spin the driveshaft with the truck parked then that would be my bet. I wouldn't worry about it.

BreckBJ44
06-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Matt, it was spinning fairly fast but not as fast or as smoothly as a fully engaged Ds should spin and that made me think that only one was sticking. With only one stuck, the drive force would not spill out only through the drive shaft, but also through the unlocked birf and therefore get half speed or not smooth rotation on the driveshaft.

I did a test.

Both unlocked: DS Spins free
Both locked, No spin (without rolling the truck)
Right Side locked, left unlocked, Spin Free
Right side Unlocked. Left Locked, No spin (Aha!)

So that told me that the right side was not unlocking. I opened her up and lo and behold, the two little clips that ride along the ramp to pull the gear off of the splined ring gear on the birf were bent and not catching/riding on the ramp. A pair of pliers and they are now holding onto the groove and staying unlocked.

I don't know which is more fun, the wrenching part, the fixing part, or the 'figuring out a test so I don't have to check both hubs' part.

Sorry for the 'I answered my own question' post

subzali
06-23-2011, 06:51 PM
well, you learn something every day. That's the part I like. Good find :thumb:

BreckBJ44
06-23-2011, 06:59 PM
I never would have even noticed it if I hadn't been driving like Fred Flintstone for a day. Driving with the tranny cover off for a day may have to become a regular thing to check the health of the front end!

Red_Chili
06-24-2011, 08:54 AM
We'll start being concerned if you occasionally remove your hood and have a friend drive you around town with you riding in the engine bay, watching things go roundy -round...

:lmao:

Rzeppa
06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
My daughter's 60 does the same thing. I don't know which hub it is but one of them isn't disengaging.

Rzeppa
06-24-2011, 12:05 PM
We'll start being concerned if you occasionally remove your hood and have a friend drive you around town with you riding in the engine bay, watching things go roundy -round...

:lmao:

Heh. I don't know if you have been keeping up on my FJ60 stalling at idle thread but that is kinda where I am at with that thing. Got a whole bunch of things eliminated but the problem only occurs while it is rolling to a stop.

:rant:

BreckBJ44
06-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Do the test I did. Essentially if one is not unlocking, then locking only the healthy hub will make it like both are locked. Try turning the driveshaft with only one side locked, and then only the other, if you have one sticking, the driveshaft will not turn without pulling the wheels when the deathly one Is in lock.

Hth