PDA

View Full Version : Well Shaded Place to Hike?

74fj40
06-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Want to take my dog hiking this afternoon but want to go to a well shaded area so he doesnt overheat! Any reccomendations? Willing to drive up to 45 minutes I am in littleton

Thanks, Max

Rezarf
06-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Eldorado Canyon? Has a lot of nice north facing trails in the canyon... Gotta' pay to play though like $8 bucks on the weekend.

Just south of Boulder, one of the premiere climbing spots around and there are always dogs on the trails there.

RockRunner
06-25-2011, 04:18 PM
You can go to the south side of Chatfield Resovoir, there is a really nice covered trail and water for the dog to play in. If you stop by the lake you may see us, taking the boat out later to cool down and have an adult beverage ;)

Jacket
06-26-2011, 06:29 AM
We used to do this hike (Maxwell Falls near Evergreen) a lot with my old lab before he died. It's busy on weekends, but isn't everything cool within an hour of Denver over-crowded.....

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Maxwell_Falls_2082.asp

LETSROLL
06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Lost Lake Trail is nice. Go past Eldora until the road dead ends. There are two trail heads: Lost lake to the left, 4th of July to the right

nattybumppo
06-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Gross Reservoir. Trail goes around the south side to the head where the river feeds it.

subzali
06-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Lair 'o the Bear is pretty nice too.

MountainGoat
06-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Sorry to post up so late on this, but Shadow Pine Loop in Flying J Ranch is pretty shady if it isn't midday. It's about a 2 1/2 mile loop, pretty easy. Has 2 small streams that you cross twice which are still running, so the dog can get a drink (or lay down in the water if he's like mine). You can do it twice if you need a better workout.

Also Lodgepole Loop or Sunny Aspen Trail in Meyer Ranch open space are pretty good. first third of a mile or so is in the sun, but once you get across the meadow it's all woods.

Both of these are Jeffco Open Space parks in the Conifer/Aspen Park area. Dog must be leashed and you gotta pick up the poop. See the Jeffco website for details and directions if you aren't familiar with them. :thumb:

74fj40
06-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the ideas I will have to go to all of them! Bogey will be happy!

Lair 'o the Bear is pretty nice too.

This is a sweet bike ride too!