PDA

View Full Version : Wheeling at Alice Glacier (old St. Mary's glacier)

RockRunner
06-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Does anybody know if you can still wheel up to the glacier? We used to wheel there years ago just for fun but haven't been there in 15 years or so.

I am just looking for an easy trail that does not require lockers or big tires, our friend is going with us and his rig is plain jane in the build department.

We are planning on going July 2nd for a nice leisurely run if anybody wants to join us, that is if you can still drive up there. If not we will have to find another area close to town.

FJCDan
06-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Hey Tom, The last time I was up there some years ago, you could drive up to where the trail split. It stops there and you have to walk a short way up. I remember driving all the way up to the glaicer too. It was a fun little drive and then go ski the glaicer.

cbmontgo
06-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Is this near Chinns Lake?

RockRunner
06-26-2011, 08:49 PM

Not sure, I am sure somebody will step in and let you know.

teamextreme
06-26-2011, 09:21 PM
No, they filled the whole trail in with gigantic boulders years ago. We used to wheel up to the glacier back in the 80's. Last time I was there was around '03 on dirt bikes with my son. It was my first trip there in years and it was filled in then.

FJCDan
06-27-2011, 08:00 AM

Yes, Chinns, Loc Lomond,Kingston peak and Fall River reservoir are all up there. Fun wheeling not too chalenging. Dan

RockRunner
06-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Bummer, we liked going up there and playing on the glacier. Time to find another place to wheel a semi stock J**P. Thanks guys!