PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plate - U-Joint interfereance On the BOWAGW run last week, I had an itermittent

RicardoJM
06-27-2011, 10:32 AM
On the BOWAGW run last week, I had an itermittent clunk in the drive train at the start of the trail. Mike, Dean, Randy, Sascha, Ken and Theo all hung back with me to listen to the clunk and try and diagnose what was going on. We definately determined it was on the front end of the drive train and were suspecting a front diff or transfer case issue.

Saturday, after installing the lift on Michelle's Rubicon, we put my FJ40 on the lift and could hear the clunk right away. We removed the skid plate and started checking drive shaft, u-joint and found some pinion play on the parking brake. Upon removing that drive shaft the pinion nut was finger tight. We also found the pinion nut on the front of the t-case to be tight but not peened. We tightned the rear pinion, and peened both nuts. We then put the skid plate back on and found the clunk was still there. Randy noticed the u-joint was slightly hitting the skid plate. We dropped the skid plate and quickly saw where the u-joint was indeed hitting the skid plate. :D

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2011bowagw/w_plate001.jpg

In short order the plasma cutter made the appropriate modifications for the interferance issue and I no longer have the clunk. :thumb:

Hulk
06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
I bet that was a relief! Nice detective work, Ricardo.

RicardoJM
06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I bet that was a relief! Nice detective work, Ricardo.

A big relief and I also had the help of Sherlock (as in Holmes - not "not no chit") Rosetta in detecting the issue. :D

FJBRADY
06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
:thumb:

Time to wheel it!

Rezarf
06-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Nice, always nice to find a clunk... and then finding an easy fix!

Kenon698
06-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Really glad that it was an easy fix. I was hoping that it wasn't something major in the front end.

subzali
06-27-2011, 12:08 PM
mine's doing the same thing. But I think I'm going to use the 80 kilogram gravitational sledgehammer on it and bend it down out of the way a little bit.

RicardoJM
06-27-2011, 12:39 PM
mine's doing the same thing. But I think I'm going to use the 80 kilogram gravitational sledgehammer on it and bend it down out of the way a little bit.

Yeah, that would work as well. I considered 4 options - all of them very briefly; buy a new and better skid plate, spacers to drop the skid plate, banging it out with a sledge, using the plasma cutter. The plasma cutter made very quick work of the job:thumb:.