PDA

View Full Version : It's official, I'm poor as crap now...

DanS
06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
...because Kate and I just bought WAY too much land. :thumb::thumb: 58 acres just north of Dumont (the post office exit, not the gas station one).

It is vacant land. Couple prospect holes dug at some point, but that's about it. So, first order of business is to get a shed up there so I can start storing some tools and things there instead of in the 60. Question is, how to do that--legally.

Because there is no permitted primary use (yet), I can't simply put up a shed. To do that, I need a special use permit by the looks of it, which is both costly ($600 for the permit) and annoying, in that they are generally for limited duration. We fully intend to build before a temporary special use permit would run out, but I also don't want to have to worry about running afoul of planning and zoning at the same time we actually build the house, if this all takes longer than we'd like.

Long term plan is to build a shed (to practice my log work again), then build a utility shed (to install the water stuff and solar power) before we try to build the house. For one, we would rather pay for smaller projects as we go, and secondly it would give us the ability to haul a trailer up there if we needed while we build the home.

Any suggestions? (yes, it will EVENTUALLY get a shop, but that will wait a while unfortunately)

Dan

TIMZTOY
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
freaking sweet looking land.. my wife and i have always wanted 40 acers of wooded mountain land. just as you bought. im jellous. :thumb: if you need a hand slinging logs id problly be up for it.

nattybumppo
06-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Congrats! Beautiful land!

DanS
06-30-2011, 01:56 PM
if you need a hand slinging logs id problly be up for it.

I can almost guarantee we will.... :hill:

Dan

subzali
06-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Looks great Dan! Let us know if you need help with moving/unloading etc.!

60wag
06-30-2011, 02:53 PM
My plan for if/when I buy mountain property is to put a trailer on it until the house is built. This gives you the flexibility to live there for a while before making permanent building decisions. It may also skirt the permitting issue for some period of time. Plus finding a trailer relatively cheap shouldn't be too tough - although I haven't done it yet. Good luck.

SteveH
06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Sheds built on skids (rather than a foundation) sometimes are valid/code where a foundation-built shed is not. You would want to locate it such that someone couldn't easily just tow it up onto a flatbed trailer and run away with it, however.

Bruiser
06-30-2011, 06:46 PM
My brother in law bought a camper for the bed of his truck, hauled it up and left it there. It has been there for three years while he builds his cabin. It does not have a ton of storage for tools but made a great ready made home while he worked up there. Plus when it was cold it did not take a lot of energy to get it warmed up. Good luck with the planning. It is a lot of work but there is a lot of personal value in the end.

Justin

DanS
06-30-2011, 09:37 PM
We're going to go have a "chat" with the Zoning and Planning folks to explain what we want to do. Frankly, we're interested in a pretty conservative building schedule so that at no point is there a risk of a half-finished project.

Shed to store tools, then a utility shed to house water/well stuff and the solar stuff, then the septic.... at which point we either build the house real quick, or haul a trailer up there and build the house a little slower.

The key is, at some point it has to be permitted (not just the shed, but the other stuff that I prefer to do before the house), and we don't want to get stuck with the 48 month timeline for a typical building permit. I definitely don't plan on it being a problem, but the last thing I want to do is to have to rush to meet that deadline and end up either with a bigger bill or something I'm not happy with just to avoid an extension of some sort.

Matt: the nice thing is, we don't own much. Literally it's 5 vehicles, a bunch of cruiser parts and tools, a piano, and a futon. Everything else can be carried by one person no sweat. Of course, hauling my inoperative 45 up from NM is a big enough job that it's probably just easier for me to get it running there and drive it up. Besides, then I'd have an easier time hauling my tools up--see how I'm justifying spending money on it right now??? ;)

Dan

Woodsman
06-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Dan, what is this "log work" that you speak of ?

RockRunner
06-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Nice buy, congrats on your new project:cheers:

PhatFJ
07-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Very nice Dan!! Congratulations!! We pulled an Airstream trailer onto our land and it has worked out GREAT, you can pick up the long ones really reasonable, ours is 31' and I think we got it for around 5 grand. Built like a tank and really warm. Just a thought.. :thumb:

subzali
07-01-2011, 08:00 AM
...Matt: the nice thing is, we don't own much. Literally it's 5 vehicles, a bunch of cruiser parts and tools, a piano, and a futon. Everything else can be carried by one person no sweat. Of course, hauling my inoperative 45 up from NM is a big enough job that it's probably just easier for me to get it running there and drive it up. Besides, then I'd have an easier time hauling my tools up--see how I'm justifying spending money on it right now??? ;)

Dan

I like your thinking ;)

DanS
07-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Dan, what is this "log work" that you speak of ?

Handcrafting.

We've got enough standing dead beetle kill to build a house (and then some) that we'd be silly to not use that to build. Of course, it's been quite a while since I've built with logs (now that I have a soft job with a tie and things).

I figure if I can build a shed well enough to make me happy, then perhaps we can avoid having to contract out the log work, when the time comes. It's a hope, at least.

Dan

nakman
07-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Officially jealous. Now you just need a lumber mill.. will pay for itself, right? Sell it when the house is done and you've got a barn full of wood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAWMILLS-PORTABLE-BAND-SAW-MILL-MOBILE-LUMBER-MILL-/290583249141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a81c80f5

http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!C!zU8ewCWk~$(KGrHqEOKkEEzJh9YH63BNElU6)sQQ~~_14.JPG

Woodsman
07-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Handcrafting.

We've got enough standing dead beetle kill to build a house (and then some) that we'd be silly to not use that to build. Of course, it's been quite a while since I've built with logs (now that I have a soft job with a tie and things).

I figure if I can build a shed well enough to make me happy, then perhaps we can avoid having to contract out the log work, when the time comes. It's a hope, at least.

Dan

Is this the blue-stained beetle kill, i.e. "denim pine" ?

Officially jealous. Now you just need a lumber mill.. will pay for itself, right? Sell it when the house is done and you've got a barn full of wood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAWMILLS-PORTABLE-BAND-SAW-MILL-MOBILE-LUMBER-MILL-/290583249141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a81c80f5

http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!C!zU8ewCWk~$(KGrHqEOKkEEzJh9YH63BNElU6)sQQ~~_14.JPG

My neighbor (78 yo retired machinist) just took delivery of that exact model of Norwood mill today. I have a Wood-Mizer (below) which is made just seven miles west of home.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/Woodworking%20pics/176.jpg

OilHammer
07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Nice! Would love to own some mtn land at some point. I have to find a real job first though! If you wind up buying a lumber mill, let me know. I have a huge cedar in my front lawn that needs to go and I want to make some posts out of it. I would be willing to offset some of your mill costs to get to use it for a day.

DanS
07-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Man, I like playing lumberjack. It's been a while since I've felled such a quantity of trees....

We're doing some clearing, and taking down pretty much any standing dead beetle kill trees to get them stacked and seasoned for whatever it is we end up doing. ;) Anyone need firewood?:lmao:

Mostly, it's just fun to play on our property and do things just because we can....

We're probably not going to mill anything, because the house we intend to build uses so little milled/dimensional lumber that it's probably easier to just buy that stuff. It only has 3 interior walls, totalling less than 32 linear feet.

Dan

Woodsman
07-06-2011, 01:21 PM
We're probably not going to mill anything, because the house we intend to build uses so little milled/dimensional lumber that it's probably easier to just buy that stuff. It only has 3 interior walls, totalling less than 32 linear feet.

Dan

That's a good move. Many people have this "romantic" notion of making their own framing lumber but it is easier to think it than to do it.

Overlander
07-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Congrats Dan - great looking piece of land. Note on beetle killed trees - they are probably not sound for structural pieces anyway, but the natually stained wood sure would look nice.

Looks like a great purchase - does it have water tap and electric?
James