PDA

View Full Version : Irratic idle when hot after sitting...

Rezarf
06-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Howdy-

Just returned from three weeks away from my cruiser down in Florida and Georgia (don't know if that is part of this or not).

With the 95 degree days here in Denver, I drove my cruiser yesterday for about 10 miles (it ran fine) and after I tried to restart it, I was running it was idling at around 400 to 800 rpm really rough, if I drove it on the road, it smooths out without hesitation.

This is only happening right when I start it up after driving it for a while, like yesterday when I went all around town doing errands.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Drew

Hulk
06-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Is your carb cooling fan working? This has helped my 40 immensely with the same issue. The problem is heat soak: when you turn off the Cruiser, the engine actually gets hotter, since the coolant is no longer flowing through the engine.

Romer
06-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Maybe having a carb fan causes this. I don't have one and haven't had the issue:D

Matt, might be right.

Couple of suggestions. Get some good carb cleaner and spary into your carb until it almost dies. Do this until you feel you have gotten it as good as you can. Then use this link (http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=26635) to adjust your carb. You might also consider changing your PCV valve and Fuel Filter if you haven't done it in the last few years, or more importantly, don't know when it has been done. Both cheap, easy and only about 10 minutes to swap both out.

This will at least give your fuel system a "tune-up" and rule out other contributing factors.

IanB
06-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Idle solenoid? Probably not but now I feel like I contributed. :lmao: :flamingo: :hill: :bowdown: :beer:

IanB
06-14-2006, 10:45 AM
... and erratic is spelt with an "e", hope that helps! :thumb: :lmao:

Rezarf
06-14-2006, 01:45 PM
I dont think I even have a carb cooling fan. Mine is a 76, should I have one?

My carb, fuel filter, and pcv are all in good shape, and recently replaced and my carb was rebuilt by Jim C.

The heat soak makes a lot of sense. Anything else you can think of?

Thanks for the speeling tip Ian. Hows the resto coming along? I have something I need to swing by your place sometime.

Drew

Romer
06-14-2006, 02:17 PM
You might still try the carb tuning even if it was rebuilt. That method balances the timing, vacuum pressure and carb settings.

timmbuck2
06-14-2006, 03:22 PM
... and erratic is spelt with an "e", hope that helps! :thumb: :lmao:

I hate erotic idles.....

:thumb:

Rzeppa
06-14-2006, 08:07 PM
I dont think I even have a carb cooling fan. Mine is a 76, should I have one?

My carb, fuel filter, and pcv are all in good shape, and recently replaced and my carb was rebuilt by Jim C.

The heat soak makes a lot of sense. Anything else you can think of?

Thanks for the speeling tip Ian. Hows the resto coming along? I have something I need to swing by your place sometime.

DrewA CA spec 76 will, a Federal spec will not. They were added when EGR was introduced. Heat soak is greatly exacerbated by the hot EGR system on the carb/manifold side, which is why the fan was added. Since you have a Jim C. carb, there is unlikely anything wrong with it. A 76 has semi transistorized ignition, so it is doubtful anything is wrong with your ignition. It may be that the exhaust manifold butterfly is rusted open (I know mine is!), which allows hot exhaust gasses directly to the underside of the intake manifold right under the carb.

It could also be something else. If I were you, I'd try messing with the idle mixture a little and see if it helps.

Rzeppa
06-14-2006, 08:08 PM
One other thing Drew, how old/worn out is your fuel pump?

Rezarf
06-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks Jeff-

My fuel pump was replaced with new about 1.5 years ago along with the rebuild of the 2f. I am running a fj60 engine, and I swapped in the electronic ignition.

I drove the cruiser on a few trips to the store today, short ones at that. Not one flutter in the idle, so I do think it is heat related.

I will check the valve/flap on the intake. I have had mine stick open in the past.

Thanks again.

Drew

IanB
06-15-2006, 06:51 AM
I hate erotic idles.....

:thumb:

:eek: :lmao: