PDA

View Full Version : 70 series axles with diff locks FS

OilHammer
07-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Have you ever thought about what it would be like to narrow a set of 80 locking axles and put them under a 40? That's essentially what these are, but with leaf spring perches. Late model 70 series axles, with e-lockers. They are about 1-2" wider than the stock 40 axle width. 4.11 gear ratios.

Advantages over stock 40 series:
Bigger knuckle arms
Bigger tie rod ends
Bigger tie rod
Trussed axle with higher clearance at the bottom of the diff
High pinion diff (good for big lifts or spring over)
(if you are upgrading from front drums, then the disks are an obvious upgrade)
Lockers, complete with the magic dial just like the 80 series!
Full floater rear
Integral parking brake

If you simply bought ARB's and stuffed them in your smaller 40 axles, you would be about $2,300. I'm asking $3,000 for the full Toyota setup and you can sell your old axles.

The catch: The rear axle perches will need to be moved in about 1/2" either side to fit a 40. I did this twice on my own truck, it's easy. The tie rod end for the drag link is larger than a stock 40, so you will need to make a hybrid drag link. These lockers, and it's computer, are 24V. You can buy a 12 to 24V converter (very small current for these) for about $30. I suspect they will work on 12V if you don't use the computer and just hardwire the harness up, but I'm not going to test that.

I just unpacked these yesterday, so I have not had a chance to clean them up for a photo. You are welcome to come inspect them and the locker operation if interested.