PDA

View Full Version : buying a welding tank

Rezarf
07-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey guys, is there a better place than another to buy a welding tank. Looking to go for the big argon/co2 mix to start working on some sheet metal.

Is there anything to look for on a used tank other than a good certification date?

Thanks-

Corbet
07-06-2011, 09:51 PM
I got mine off ebay as the local Durango welding shop is too proud of their equipment.

http://myworld.ebay.com/weldingsuppliesatioc&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID

was the vendor.

SteveH
07-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I bought a Linde brand tank and later discovered that you cannot 'own' those - they're only for leasing. The shop fudged some paperwork and stuck me for another $25 and made the problem go away. Not a big deal, but if you can find a tank locally with a local gas supplier sticker on the tank, it can make refilling less of a hassle.

rover67
07-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I brought some tanks from memphis when i moved here. They were purchased tanks form a supplier down there.

General Air here just took them and swapped them out for theirs when they were empty, no big deal.

I have also bought new tanks on ebay and swapped them out with tanks from General Air.. same thing, no big deal.

If you own the tank, and it is up to date on it's hydro check you can just have them swap it out and then you have nothing to worry about. So, to answer your question... as long as the certification is current on the used tank you buy, they should take it as a swap.

CO Hunter
07-07-2011, 06:59 AM
I have an airgas tank that is swappable. It is a smaller tank. If you're interested I can dig out the size.

Beater
07-07-2011, 07:11 AM
lease - don't buy... new colorado law a few years ago states must have existing sticker of compliance/label for the gas contained or they won't fill.

One of the bottles I have lost it's sticker, and I could only fill it by begging my main shop for it. no other location or other outlet would fill it.

just fyi

rover67
07-07-2011, 07:12 AM
lease - don't buy... new colorado law a few years ago states must have existing sticker of compliance/label for the gas contained or they won't fill.

One of the bottles I have lost it's sticker, and I could only fill it by begging my main shop for it. no other location or other outlet would fill it.

just fyi

Dang, I must have swapped before that happened...

Good to know!

Corbet
07-07-2011, 07:54 AM

just fyi

My shop down here just put sticker on my tank when I had it filled.

Rezarf
07-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks I might just buy/rent one from General Air, they have been really good to me over the past several years.

frontrange
07-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I rented my Argon bottle from GA for 3 years before realizing I'd already paid more the the cost of buying. Now I own all 4 of my tanks.

Beater
07-07-2011, 10:13 AM
99yr lease requires no payments - just fill.

Jacket
07-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Do you already have a CO2 bottle from General Air? And you can't "trade it in" for a Ar mix bottle instead? Or do you want to keep both on hand?

rover67
07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Do you already have a CO2 bottle from General Air? And you can't "trade it in" for a Ar mix bottle instead? Or do you want to keep both on hand?

that's a good point.. I have traded lots of bottles back and forth as priorities have come and gone...

Rezarf
07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Huh, never thought of that. I use the CO2 and it is fine for heavy stuff, but I'd like to control the spatter a little more and run the argon mix... never thought about a swap. I will ask and see what they say. Problem is, mine is only a 20# tank...

Rzeppa
07-14-2011, 12:05 PM
I lease mine from United States Welding at I-25 & Santa Fe. When empty, just swap it out.

AxleIke
07-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Does this mean you'll be getting back out into the garage?

Rezarf
07-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Does this mean you'll be getting back out into the garage?

Yup, we have made the exectutive decision that the cruiser stays. We are going to move into a three year phase. 1st, Family ready (cage and rear seat), 2nd body and paint, then 3rd drivetrain overhaul to V8.:thumb:

frontrange
07-15-2011, 08:01 AM
If you also TIG, might want to consider a Smiths mixer. That's what I use, making whatever Argon/CO2 mix I need from seperate tanks.