PDA

View Full Version : Wet, very wet carpet

CBone
07-07-2011, 09:40 PM
So the torrential downpours this evening left the basement filled with water. It's a finished garden-level or subgrade, whatever you want to call it basement. We do a lot of living down there. I have a 4 gallon wet vac and I've emptied it 16 times. And, there's still a long way to go.

Will I need to replace carpet and padding, as no matter how much I vacuum, the padding underneath is wet and won't that produce mold?

MDH33
07-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Unfortunately, I would say yes, replace it. Homeowners flood insurance? :(

wesintl
07-07-2011, 09:58 PM
get all the water up and then put a couple carpet fans in.

Red_Chili
07-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Your insurance may pay for disaster recovery contractors too, call your agent.

Otherwise... yeah, that pad will never dry out.

Inukshuk
07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Insurance unlikely to pay for flooding. Rent fans at Home Depot and dry it out as best as you can for a few days. Get a dehumidifier if you can. A disaster recovery company will cost a few thousand. Bottom foot or two if your drywall is also wet.

Mold needs sustained saturation to grow. Dry it out. Keep the air moving for a few days at least and a de-humidifier for weeks.

Dr. Schlegs
07-07-2011, 11:11 PM
I would say replace. That mildew smell is hell to get out. Sorry to hear you having a crappy evening. :(

theboomboom
07-08-2011, 12:56 AM
This isn't the condo Carlton, is it?

Air Randy
07-08-2011, 05:04 AM
I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I called State Farm and they paid to have people come out and get the water up and deploy fans, etc. We did not have to replace the carpet or pad.

Lars
07-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Sorry to hear about the problems. Hopefully insurance will help out.

FJCDan
07-08-2011, 07:49 AM
So the torrential downpours this evening left the basement filled with water. It's a finished garden-level or subgrade, whatever you want to call it basement. We do a lot of living down there. I have a 4 gallon wet vac and I've emptied it 16 times. And, there's still a long way to go.

Will I need to replace carpet and padding, as no matter how much I vacuum, the padding underneath is wet and won't that produce mold?

Carlton, I do flood work. Give me a call if you can not find someone to take care of your problem, 303-929-7230. I was out till 11:00 last night doing floods. Give me a call and I can atleast give you some advise where to start. With this being a water loss due rain comming in from the ground it is not a covered loss. Dan

SteveH
07-08-2011, 08:40 AM
My cleanup guys removed the pad in places where it got wet), put fans under the carpet (and over it) and let the carpet fully dry - then replaced the pad 2 weeks later. I think this is a sound way to go, if your carpet was worth saving in the first place.

RedCreeper
07-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear the news. I had a leak in my other house in VA that came in threw the electical box. Talk about fun. But we found a product called Damp Rid or Damp Dry. Something like that. You can get it at Wal Mart. It is in a blue and orange package i think but they are small buckets that pull the moisture out of the air. It works really well on the mildew and mold smells to. you just have to empty the small buckets when they fill up. They also have refils for them. I have maybe 10 of them spread out threw out the down stairs. They make other products also. But we did the fans and this and worked out really well.