PDA

View Full Version : Need an affordable electrician

Red_Chili
07-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey there, need an electrician, is there one in the club? I got a decent quote from a decent one man shop but it is high enough that I am tempted to do it myself (along with all the other projects.... :(). So I need to see if I can beat that.

The home I am buying has a 100A Zinsco panel. Any sparkies reading this just started shaking their heads. Zinsco is not safe, and 100A is beyond minimal. However, the Xcel meter is a 200A meter, and replacing the Zinsco with a 200A Square D or the like just makes sense. This would be a main panel replacement only, and the jobsite is near the top of N. Turkey Creek Canyon Road. Existing circuits are decent and only a ground rod/6ga. water pipe ground need to be added, besides the panel replacement. It is accessible from outside and wiring exits the panel via a chase in the back, and a 1.75" LB to conduit to LB to basement. Simple. Will be done under a Jeffco permit.

PM with interest and availability to see the site and give a quote. Thanks in advance!

Beater
07-08-2011, 06:11 PM
I'll take the person after you...

gr8fulabe
07-08-2011, 09:21 PM
I sent a message to my best friend. He is a Journeyman, just waiting for the state to get him his test date to be a master. He knows his stuff, and does a ton of industrial, mega sized work, so he also knows how important it is to do a job right. The only issue is he is up in Breck, but he might be willing to come down for a couple of side jobs.

If he wants to talk further, I'll either put him in touch with you guys, or let him log in as me to chat to you.
Best,
Abe

Rezarf
07-08-2011, 10:56 PM
IanB had a guy build a whole new panel and rewire and seemed to be stoked about the guy. I will contact him and get the contact and PM you. He was impressed with his craftsmanship AND price!

nakman
07-09-2011, 09:22 AM
My across the street neighbor is a licensed master electrician, insured, legit guy. He did a new panel for me, and ran a new sub panel to my basement. I felt like I got a pretty fair deal, and quality of work seems just great. his name is Todd.

TJ Electric
303-332-2208
tjelectric @ comcast.net (remove spaces, eh)

Use my name to get things going, happy to refer him.

Inukshuk
07-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Deleted

BreckBJ44
07-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I have a buddy that is just about to get to journeyman's status. He could probably do some work for you for a good price if you do not need it to be permitted.

K

Red_Chili
07-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks, gotta have it legal...

RockRunner
07-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Got a guy, Drew, who is a Master and will do it with a permit. I will pm you his number, he is out of Blackhawk.

Beater
05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
bringing this back. need 220 added to my new garage, as well as a few 110 outlets and provision for a sub panel for the pending studio build.

720 four one two 19 53 or here.

nakman
05-30-2012, 05:31 PM
My recommendation above still stands.

nuclearlemon
05-30-2012, 08:32 PM
good to know...i need about 10 outlets put in the back room, easy run, thought of doing in it myself since it's an easy jaunt to a 200a service box with a metric tonne of open fuses, but i know myself and i'll never get around to it.

euroford
05-31-2012, 08:11 AM
I just went through this. fun stuff for sure. (not)

Our new to us home had a 100amp Federal Pacific panel, which like yours is both not adequate and unsafe...

I received quotes from six different contractors. scope of work varied from a basic 100amp replacement panel to a rather massive overhaul, price quote varied between $700 and $4,500 bucks.

I ended up going with the middle of the price range, who also offered the most features.

JM Electric performed the work, for $1,700 fully permitted by Louisville and it included the following, all Eaton CE products.

200amp meter housing/40 slot load center combo on the exterior of the garage
200amp 40 slot load center within the garage
updated grounding (one new ground rod, plus connection to the water main)
50amp 220v circuit for the welder in the garage
50amp 220v circuit outside for the compressor
two 20amp 110v circuits to the other side of the house (sump pump and hot tub)

they did a GREAT job, and adding the other circuits and grounding were pretty epic given we have a huge spread out ranch home. the guy who gave me the quote, the manager who i spoke to on the phone and the two guys who came out and performed the work were all personable, professional and overall great to work with.

I have them coming out again next week to quote me for a 100amp subpanel in the basement for my saltwater aquarium, and to quote me for adding Eatons solar switching equipment (which is really quite super cool, and one of the reasons why Eatons stuff rated highly in my book).

overall, dealing with the quotes and contractors, this project was a total runaround charlie foxtrot. I'm glad i found these guys as i feel i was treated very fairly, and they did a great job. quotes are free, so get one from these guys, and at least a couple more!

Red_Chili
05-31-2012, 08:49 AM
That is a great price for that work.

euroford
05-31-2012, 02:55 PM
That is a great price for that work.

Yeah, except it totally botched my budget for a new TIG :rant:

wesintl
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
I need certified electrician. any updates to this thread?

Inukshuk
02-19-2014, 07:04 PM
I need certified electrician. any updates to this thread?

Yup. Updated my post!

InsanityIsBorn
02-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Another quick resurrection to this post. I contacted JM electric and JT. Just curious if anyone else has any good recommends.

Thanks!

Squishy!
02-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Another quick resurrection to this post. I contacted JM electric and JT. Just curious if anyone else has any good recommends.

Thanks!

That's funny I did the same thing today

Squishy!
03-12-2014, 01:42 PM
I never heard back from JT. I guess they didn't want my business. JM was great, he spent the time needed to get a good estimate and seems like a fair price. I'm getting a bid from Steve's electric this afternoon, anybody used them or heard of them?