PDA

View Full Version : Fire wood

Dr. Schlegs
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
So my new house has a wood burning fire place in it. The problem is I have no wood. Where can I get good seasoned wood, and if possible FREE? I figure I might have to buy wood this season and slowly build a stockpile.

SteveH
07-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Not free, but the Forest Service sells permits (3 cord min.) for $15/cord in Pike (and presumably other) national forests. The rub is that the wood has to be standing and dead, which usually means rotten. However, you can pick up the wood that the FS cuts and leaves lying on the ground, as part of their own trimming efforts. The other bummer is that you need trucks/trailers, etc. to haul the wood, and the permits are good for only 2 months. Anyway - you'd be doing us all a favor by thinning a national forest if you chose to do this!

A buddy of mine cruises the FS roads and if he finds a big pile of cut trees, then gets a permit and fills his truck.

nakman
07-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Uh, Schlegs maybe Dan could use a hand? http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16011

gahi
07-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Grand County! There's tons of standing dead & fallen dead around. the beetles really hit it hard.

Red_Chili
07-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Kevin, you may have a wood burning fireplace, but the reality is you may not be able to burn it when you really want to!

Besides, all that burn product is a pain in the ash.

How hard would it be to run a gas line? Some of the newer inserts are really efficient, and do a darn fair job of looking lifelike (glowing embers, yellow lazy flames... and I used to really hate gas fireplaces because they didn't do this very well).

For snaps and pops I suppose you would have to rely on an iPod... :lmao:

subzali
07-13-2011, 02:21 PM
My FIL has to thin 2 acres on his property before the end of the year - if you want to bring your saw I'll let you know when we're having a cutting event!

Dr. Schlegs
07-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Sure Matt I would love to help. Free wood and burn a few calories in the process.

JadeRunner
07-13-2011, 08:27 PM
I get a truckload of seasoned and split pine delivered every year. Costs 160.00 a cord but all you have to do is stack it and burn it.

I also have a line on some tree trimmers that deliver me their seasonal and split Denver hardwood pretty cheap. Makes for a nice mix.

Dr. Schlegs
07-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Scott if you could get me the names of the tree trimmers that you get your hard wood from that would be nice start to my stockpile.

nakman
07-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Kevin, to pick up on Red Chili's tangent, do you have an EPA Phase II stove? there should be a tag on the side of the stove...

I personally love burning wood, I like the idea of a second heat source for some reason, and the warmth that a stove gives you feels better than the stuff that blows on you from forced air. Nothing like a snowy day, 20 outside, 80 inside, front door wide open to bring in the crisp fresh air, and real heat hasn't been on in days.. I miss that.

Dr. Schlegs
07-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Kevin, to pick up on Red Chili's tangent, do you have an EPA Phase II stove? there should be a tag on the side of the stove...

:dunno: I think it's one of classic fire places, where you need some matches. LOL I know what you are saying about having the doors open. I love a real fireplace. A real fireplace was one of my must haves for the house I would buy. I don't like the new homes with the aquarium looking fireplace next to the box where your TV is suppose to go.

DanS
07-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Uh, Schlegs maybe Dan could use a hand? http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16011

Right you are.

No idea when I'll have a weekend free, but we can get you more firewood than you want. Seriously, I am a busy boy thinning our forest lately. Ponderosa, Lodgepole, Blue Spruce, Doug Fir, and Aspen. I've got all of it, and lots of standing dead (seasoned) that needs to go.

PM me if you're interested (that goes for anyone in the club who needs firewood).

Matt--is your FIL tree farm, forest ag, or both?

Dan

Woodsman
07-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Stop by Indiana and I'll give you a few ricks of REAL firewood. This is the kind of wood (beech and hickory) that'll burn eight hours straight and actually keep you warm.

Yeah, we have REAL firewood in Indiana . . . we just don't have REAL mountains . . . or even pseudo mountains. :(

subzali
07-14-2011, 09:34 AM
...Matt--is your FIL tree farm, forest ag, or both?

Dan

I think it's called a Family Forest.

Stop by Indiana and I'll give you a few ricks of REAL firewood. This is the kind of wood (beech and hickory) that'll burn eight hours straight and actually keep you warm.

Yeah, we have REAL firewood in Indiana . . . we just don't have REAL mountains . . . or even pseudo mountains. :(

I wish we had more real wood out here for dutch oven cooking and real fires. Of course my dad has lots of scrub oak that burns pretty well. Pain to cut though, you get all scratched up.

Dr. Schlegs
09-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Dan or Matt would either of you be around this weekend to get some wood?

Hey :kipper::campfire::flop: do you need more wood?

Air Randy
09-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Or you can buy a wood pellet stove like we have. It will either fit right in your fireplace or get a free standing unit, simple to install as long as it is next to an exterior wall.

You'll spend a little more up front for the stove but you can put it on a thermostat and it will heat your entire house so your gas furnace will never run. Plus when there is a ban on burning your fireplace, you can still burn the pellet stove as they dont smoke.

You can always get pellets at Home Depot and lots of other places, they cost less per BTU than cord wood does. No mess either.

TIMZTOY
09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
bam new sig..... lol

DanS
09-10-2011, 12:50 AM

Hey :kipper::campfire::flop: do you need more wood?

Yes. I'll be doing Jenny Creek tomorrow (saturday), so not sure what time we'll be done, but can definitely cut/stack some wood after that. Will also have some time on Sunday, probably going to take a jaunt up Argentine Pass in the middle of the day or early afternoon.

I may try to move the Argentine outing to the following weekend (depends on my wife's schedule), so that's a definite possibility to have all day sunday free this weekend.

Dan

TIMZTOY
09-10-2011, 10:41 AM

making it to easy Doc. :D
I might be juvinal, but i think its funny

SRT08BUS
09-13-2011, 03:13 PM
if you still need i have about a truck load that you can come pick up, just pm me

BreckBJ44
09-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Schlegs, If you need some I have a bunch at my house in Breck.. if you want to help me move some we can load you up with a bunch.

I'm heading up there this weekend to do some maintenance and move the wood.

Jacket
09-13-2011, 05:03 PM
ShTDKEQk1o0

DanS
09-14-2011, 09:18 AM
So after Jenny creek I had a 40 issue last weekend.

But this weekend I should be around and playing on the property all weekend. I know you are taking apart your 4 speed on Sunday, but Saturday should be wide open.

Dan

Dr. Schlegs
09-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks Dan. I was able to locate some FIREWOOD. (Darn, perverts). Thank you for the offer however, perhaps there are some other people in the club who are needing some FIREWOOD for this winter.

TIMZTOY
09-14-2011, 12:01 PM
lol :D

DanS
09-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks Dan. I was able to locate some FIREWOOD. (Darn, perverts). Thank you for the offer however, perhaps there are some other people in the club who are needing some FIREWOOD for this winter.

Not a worry. Pretty sure I'll have wood for years to come. :lmao: One of the benefits of being young..... and owning some timbered property.

Dan

TIMZTOY
09-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Not a worry. Pretty sure I'll have wood for years to come. :lmao: One of the benefits of being young..... Dan

:lmao:

Corbet
09-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Someone say fire wood.... My back is killing me from this trailer load today. Forest service permits are better than buying it though.

Dr. Schlegs
09-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Impressive!!!!!

RockRunner
09-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Nice load Corbet, you got the big trees. We get precut trees and cut to size at home but would prefer to cut there and safe the clean up. Split all the wood last weekend and have about 4.5 true cords ready to burn.

Dr. Schlegs
09-18-2011, 12:42 AM
FYI: Tim if you would like to talk to some one about your obsession I have a couple people in mind.