PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Engine Rebuilder

RicardoJM
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
I have a co-worker with a 99 Jeep Wrangler (4.0) that he bought new and has a sentimental attachment to. Anyhow, the Jeep has been used quite a bit, over 220k and has recently started to knock. He'd like to have the engine gone through and rebuilt if necessary, but is not a wrenching kind of guy. I suggested he post up on Colorado 4X4 as there seems to be more Jeep owners there than on our site. All that said, do you guys have an recommendations on a local shop that should consider taking his jeep to?

powderpig
07-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Jeep has a short block with a different crank in it to make it a 4.5. I would start with that If I was doing a older jeep engine. Look for the info on Jeep's web site.

wesintl
07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
a friend here at work gets all his work done at all american 4x4 off santa fe. I think they did an engine for him but i'd have to go ask if he was happy with it.

TIMZTOY
07-26-2011, 08:22 PM
just get another 4.0L there a dime a dozen.. you could get a complete long block for anywere from 500-1500 id guess.. depending on were you look

L43dean
07-26-2011, 10:27 PM
I did not start out as a wrencher either, but did figure out that I could change my own "oil plugs filters belts wires cap rotor grease coolant pads", well you get it. This all with the tremendous help and confidence building book (among others, I guess it is a slippery slope!) "Toyota owners bible" by Moses Ludel. Very well written. The point is Moses has also written a "jeep owners bible". So even if your co-worker wants to hire most of the work out I believe a little knowledge will help them from being taken for a ride. From their reputation I would gather that Gunn or the other machine shops touted on this forum would do well on the 4.0 as well. Or is your co-worker looking for a complete "turn key" proper re-build? I do not know if there is anybody left here like that. And I am still an optimist! Sincerely, Dean

RicardoJM
07-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Jeep has a short block with a different crank in it to make it a 4.5. I would start with that If I was doing a older jeep engine. Look for the info on Jeep's web site.
Thanks Robbie, from what I understand he has not been unhappy with the engine power/performance and is just looking to get it back to running smooth and dependable. That said, if it is determined the crank needs to be replaced, all things being investing in upgraded components might be a reasonable thing for him to consider.

a friend here at work gets all his work done at all american 4x4 off santa fe. I think they did an engine for him but i'd have to go ask if he was happy with it.
Wes, if you could check on that - that is just the kind of input he is looking for. :D

just get another 4.0L there a dime a dozen.. you could get a complete long block for anywere from 500-1500 id guess.. depending on were you look
Tim, regarding places to look; junkyards, craigslist and the local forums would be my first thought. Are there other places to put on the list?

I did not start out as a wrencher either, but did figure out that I could change my own "oil plugs filters belts wires cap rotor grease coolant pads", well you get it. This all with the tremendous help and confidence building book (among others, I guess it is a slippery slope!) "Toyota owners bible" by Moses Ludel. Very well written. The point is Moses has also written a "jeep owners bible". So even if your co-worker wants to hire most of the work out I believe a little knowledge will help them from being taken for a ride. From their reputation I would gather that Gunn or the other machine shops touted on this forum would do well on the 4.0 as well. Or is your co-worker looking for a complete "turn key" proper re-build? I do not know if there is anybody left here like that. And I am still an optimist! Sincerely, Dean
Dean, thanks for the lead on the book, looks like it can be found used for under $10. :thumb:

L43dean
07-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Or is your co-worker looking for a complete "turn key" proper re-build? I do not know if there is anybody left here like that. And I am still an optimist! Sincerely, Dean[/QUOTE]

After giving my own post more thought, I should have done so before posting, I believe there are some pro-mechanics and shops that do proper work. I believe they take effort to find and that is part of the reason for this forum and the Rising Sun. I was pondering this at work today, where I repair things much of the time, and I should apologise to the pro's and shops here on this forum and in this club. I have patronized them and will continue to. Sorry, Dean.

RedCreeper
07-28-2011, 12:29 AM
The Jeep Bible is a good read for those looking for more knowledge on the J word. Not sure what performance they want but Clifford was a good place for the 4.0 performance parts. They used to break there builds down to stages. Stage 1, 2 and 3. 1 being all out. There slogan is 6=8 for good reason. With a few mods they could have a torquey little motor that would be great for all around fun. I almost went the stage 2 route when my 4.0 went but found a 360 cost the same if not less. AEV I think sells a Hemi swap kit and you can get a Hemi for a good price if you look around. Something to think about.

powderpig
07-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Same machine shops we recommend for Toyota's will work on Jeeps as well. Bill at Mountain Hi will build him a engine(all his guy would need to do is pull it and drop it back in) or Gunn Automotive will build engines as well. Bill may still be in the business of turn key(where you drop off the truck and get it back rebuilt).
you can give him a call 303-420-6218

Air Randy
07-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Ricardo,

Have him get a used 4.0 out of the wrecking yard. You can tear it down, send it out to Gunn, put it back together then drop it in. It isn't a whole lot different than the numerous times you've done it on 2F's.

This is well within your technical skills. Then it just depends on how much you want to help this guy from work out :D

RicardoJM
08-11-2011, 08:52 AM
To close this out, he took the Wrangler to Aspen Part Automotive and had a new Jasper motor installed. He's had it back from the shop a week and is pleased with the results.