PDA

View Full Version : Is Magnaflow CAT a good option for my '95 FZJ80?

Overlander
08-02-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm building a set of sliders for my 80 and thinking of some options for the dual cats that stick way down... From what I've read on MUD there are two options that people have done:

1) Have a muffler shop cut the exhaust pipe and turn the cats 90deg to make them flat (maybe throw in some extra heat protection to prevent passenger's feet from baking to a crisp... :) )

2) Use two aftermarket Cats (save the OEM ones) like Magnaflow model #94006 and hope I can pass CO emissions next time around...

I've read some mixed posts on MUD about Magnaflow - some people had really good luck with them, yet others failed to pass emissions and had to revert back to OEM.

Do you think I could pass emissions in CO with Magnaflow, or should I play it safe and stick with OEM?

nuclearlemon
08-02-2011, 10:56 AM
i have one four year old magnaflow at the muffler, and last year, they noticed that i only had one and had to add another. i passed. i stick by my 'run it like a raped ape for an hour and two bottles of heet in the tank' theory of passing.

Overlander
08-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Local muffler shop (Buds Muffler and Accessories) has quoted me about $150.00 to rotate the OEM cats for me - think I'll play it safe and just have them do that...

corsair23
08-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Pretty sure Hulk went aftermarket on the cats at one point and later failed emissions and had to go back to OEM - probably some info in the emissions testing thread.

EDIT: Post #69 here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10919

Can't remember though now if he just added a second cat or had to go back to OEM as well