PDA

View Full Version : 3 speed issues

bigcity25
08-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I am in the process of pulling my tranny to replace my clutch, rear main, and input shat seal. When I drained my fluid in my tranny it was thicker and had a chunk of metal in it. So I pulled the top cover off and saw some damage to one of the gears with rust also on some parts. Now I am at a crossroads, do I replace the tranny, try to rebuild, switch to 4 speed? I need some help guys and your input is needed.

TIMZTOY
08-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Kreig (BreckBJ44) has a 4 speed. He just swapped in a 5 speed. Might wanna contact him.

And since your going to have to remove the tranny for all 3 options. And buy something for all 3 you might as well upgrade.

Uncle Ben
08-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Replace the seal put clean lube in it and run it! Start saving money for an upgrade!

wesintl
08-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Replace the seal put clean lube in it and run it! Start saving money for an upgrade!

x2 on that. or start saving money for something else:p:

subzali
08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Kreig (BreckBJ44) has a 4 speed. He just swapped in a 5 speed. Might wanna contact him.

And since your going to have to remove the tranny for all 3 options. And buy something for all 3 you might as well upgrade.

Kraig's 4 spd will probably be a later model coupled to a split case, in which case won't be compatible.

bigcity, check out these threads:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=12999

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1629

RicardoJM
08-09-2011, 03:52 PM

x2 on that. or start saving money for something else:p:

X3 :D. The insides definitely do not look good for the long term:(. But if it still runs, button it up and run it while you compile the bell housing and 4speed parts. You will not miss the non-syncro 1st gear and the additional gear makes it much better to drive in town.

Is this still you DD? Worst case drop in one of the 3speeds that have been offered up in your other thread to get back on the road.

bigcity25
08-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys, I talked to that cruiser shop in Salida and they said the same. The gear that has the chunk missing is first and is pretty common. He said shouldn't be an issue as long as everything else looks good. I am gonna tear into it more Friday when I get back from work (doing a 48hr shift) so I can look closer at all the gears. Talked to a guy today that has a "clean" 3 speed for sale here in town for $90 or so. And also another guy has a sm420 with transfercase and adapter plate for $300. But I really want to go H55F, and I know it's $$$$, pipe dreams. I really like the 3 speed, most likely gonna add rubber overdrive next spring to help out. But in all reality I am gonna do the 4 speed upgrade here in the future. I'll have a "upgrade" party with cool frosties (beer) and pizza. And ask you cats over to the house.

As a side note, there was no gasket on the top plate. Not sure if that's the gasket my ex-cruiser shop charged me to replace, need to research that.But it tells me they never looked inside the tranny also.

wesintl
08-09-2011, 06:46 PM
you sure you can't come over and pick up my extra boat anchor? :o

TIMZTOY
08-09-2011, 07:56 PM

agree'd

nattybumppo
08-10-2011, 12:36 PM
A four speed is oh so much nicer than the three speed...

subzali
08-10-2011, 01:13 PM
if you're paying money for a 3spd I would look elsewhere...

baja1d
08-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Please come and get these 3 speeds out of my garage. I've got 2 & a 3rd coming out this winter... You can have them. Just started my set but I'll be on a 4 day starting Tuesday.

Rzeppa
09-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Likewise, I have two spare 3 speeds, one for top shifter and one for 3 on the tree linkage, either one is yours free, both in excellent condition. I don't miss the relatively high 1st gear but I do miss the room in the front the 3 on the tree gave me. Plus it's theft prevention - no one knows how to drive a 3 on the tree.

treerootCO
09-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Here is an excel doc I put together for the gear ratios for Cruiser transmissions:

bigcity25
09-22-2011, 07:51 PM
I downloaded the spreadsheet. Pardon my lack of education, but the higher the number the "faster" and "weaker" a gear is? And same for the reverse?

treerootCO
09-26-2011, 07:32 AM
high numbers are lower gears. For first gear on a three speed, the ratio is 2.76:1. 4th gear is 1:1 so for every rotation of the engine, the transmission rotates once.