PDA

View Full Version : you didn't tell me I was gonna cry....

thenimirra
08-10-2011, 10:26 AM
When the dealership comes to take away my FJ40. Hell they haven't even come to get it yet and I'm already balling. :(

I used it as part of my trade to get a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

I'm thinking that to even things up, my rig should be a 1974 FJ40 or newer (that's the year I was born).

What year do you think I should go for so I can get parts for it, maybe take it into the dealership if I need some help for some severe damage, but still maintain the shape of the FJ40s?

Uncle Ben
08-10-2011, 10:32 AM
The 74 would be slightly less of a rust magnet but 1976 and later are much more refined as far as creature comforts and mechanical modernness.

thenimirra
08-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I could go to an 84...the last year they made them right?

Beater
08-10-2011, 10:51 AM
others may bash ya a bit, but I have to admit a certain fondness for that unlimited TJ, especially the whole "hose it out" thing.

j

corsair23
08-10-2011, 11:10 AM
40's are great (there's a reason I have one in my garage even though it rarely gets driven) but there is a night and day difference between driving a 40 vs. a new Jeep...

I say drive and enjoy the Jeep for awhile and if you find yourself missing having a 40 down the road, start looking for one in the best shape and done the way you would want one to be (stock, modified, whatever) - take your time and buy the one that fits when you come across it.

In the mean time, bring the Jeep out on a club run or two and just have fun!

Out of curiousity, what sort of trade in figure did the dealership give you for the 40 and do you know what their plans are for it??

BreckBJ44
08-10-2011, 11:12 AM
;) can't you hose out a 40? :D

Beater
08-10-2011, 11:52 AM
;) can't you hose out a 40? :D

yeah - but it washes the rust out... :bolt:

subzali
08-10-2011, 01:15 PM
...'84 was the last year they made FJ40s, but I believe '83 was the last year they imported them to the states. And they are pretty hard to find, almost as hard as yours.

thenimirra
08-10-2011, 04:02 PM
someone who has 40s and interest in them wants to buy it, so I didn't feel bad about making the trade. The fact of the matter is this: My 40 sat in my garage never being driven or touched since I rescued it from the storage facility...which was more than two years ago.

The dealership gave me a great deal on it which was right about where I was going to start my asking price without even seeing it...this guy knew it's worth. And I need something I can drive and take care of easily.

I'm sorry if you are disappointed. But I had to do what was best for me at the time. I didn't plan on nearly dying in a car accident on I-70 that totaled my Saturn. And when I'm broke and need something to get me into a reliable vehicle and that Toyota is just sitting there being used, I had to trade it in.

corsair23
08-10-2011, 05:03 PM
You don't need to apologize!!

You did what you needed to do and it sounds like it worked out well for you. Sorry to hear about the accident :eek: - drive carefully in the Jeep and have fun with it!!

Sounds like a bonus that someone knowing the value of the 40 is getting it but that is just a side bonus...You were able to use it to better your situation and no one can fault you for that. And no matter what anyone says, you will enjoy driving the Jeep much more than the 40, especially as a DD. Few people out there find a 40 more enjoyable as a DD than a newer Jeep and most of those people are on this forum...:hill:

Uncle Ben
08-10-2011, 05:31 PM
You don't need to apologize!!

You did what you needed to do and it sounds like it worked out well for you. Sorry to hear about the accident :eek: - drive carefully in the Jeep and have fun with it!!

Sounds like a bonus that someone knowing the value of the 40 is getting it but that is just a side bonus...You were able to use it to better your situation and no one can fault you for that. And no matter what anyone says, you will enjoy driving the Jeep much more than the 40, especially as a DD. Few people out there find a 40 more enjoyable as a DD than a newer Jeep and most of those people are on this forum...:hill:

Werd! :thumb::bowdown::borg::bored::gaah::banghead::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::zilla::D

subzali
08-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Sheba,

I apologize for being out of line. I understand you have to do what you have to do and it sounds like you got your needs met and the FJ40 will be going to a good owner. Good luck.

Beater
08-11-2011, 08:27 AM
dude - I am living proof that this club is a welcoming and understanding lot. Hell, they let me hang out when I had a Rover!

We all do what we have to do. The ONLY reason I keep the t100 slightly built is because I can't find a newer example of a "do it all" truck. The new tundras are wayyy to huge, and none of the domestics have the off-road focus, except for the late model for rangers, and they're too small.

However, please note that we will disown you IF:

you get one of those "it's a jeep thing - you wouldn't understand" stickers...

thenimirra
08-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I completely understand. Since the accident, I've been scared, easily irritated and highly sensitive (and that's besides all the pain that's being controlled by meds!!!) So I'm sorry too for getting defensive. But ultimately I think it's better for me to get something newer anyway. I would love to have a heep and a 4runner or a later model FJ40 I could buy outright with no payments.

And no worries about "it's a Jeep thing." My spare tire cover will likely say "Life is good," or maybe even have my photography business logo printed on it for www.pictureyourworld.net

I love you guys...you welcomed me with open arms. I will always be thankful for that.

Hulk
08-12-2011, 12:03 AM
You got an almost brand new Jeep Unlimited? Awesome! Congrats!!

Now post some photos, please. Knowing you, they will be artfully composed and stunning.

Were you thinking of buying a late model FJ40 in addition to the Jeep? :confused:

Sorry to hear about your accident. :(

thenimirra
08-12-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking I should have a DD and wheeling rig right? Isn't that better than having only one vehicle? That's a ways down the road...but then again, I wasn't expecting to total my old car and then be in a new one. You just never know what's going to happen!

corsair23
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
IMO no need right now for the Jeep to not be both your DD and wheeling rig. You don't have any plans to go out and thrash the Jeep on hard trails right? The majority of us don't have a DD and a wheeling only rig. Some do but they tend to play on the harder trails where breaking something is almost guaranteed or at least a definite possibility so having a wheeling rig that if it breaks you still have another vehicle to get you to work and back is important.

Enjoy the Jeep for now, come with us on some of the fun runs that don't pose any threats to the Jeep...Then, down the road if you get the bug to do more difficult trails, you either build up the Jeep to handle the challenge and get a different car for a DD or look into getting a wheeling only rig. Even with a dedicated wheeling rig though it can break so you'll have to fix it...If you get real crazy about wheeling then you'll be looking at a dedicated wheeling rig, a tow vehicle, and a trailer :D

thenimirra
08-13-2011, 12:00 PM
IMO no need right now for the Jeep to not be both your DD and wheeling rig. You don't have any plans to go out and thrash the Jeep on hard trails right? The majority of us don't have a DD and a wheeling only rig. Some do but they tend to play on the harder trails where breaking something is almost guaranteed or at least a definite possibility so having a wheeling rig that if it breaks you still have another vehicle to get you to work and back is important.

Enjoy the Jeep for now, come with us on some of the fun runs that don't pose any threats to the Jeep...Then, down the road if you get the bug to do more difficult trails, you either build up the Jeep to handle the challenge and get a different car for a DD or look into getting a wheeling only rig. Even with a dedicated wheeling rig though it can break so you'll have to fix it...If you get real crazy about wheeling then you'll be looking at a dedicated wheeling rig, a tow vehicle, and a trailer :D

That sounds like a great plan! I guess I was worried that I would do something wrong and mess up my Jeep. Then I'd be out of a DD too. But I don't have any money anyway so a second wheeling rig is a long way down the road! Give me a few more weeks to heal up from this accident and then I'll be ready for a baby noob trail!