PDA

View Full Version : Driving without electronics

Inukshuk
08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
so, how drivable would an 80 series be with no computer or fancy electronics? Say after an EMP or gamma ray bombardment of the earth that fries all electronics? I'm just sayin..... :hill:

theboomboom
08-11-2011, 09:39 PM
It would still roll...

DaveInDenver
08-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Not sure about that Boom-Boom. Don't they have some sort of tranny computer? Yeah, anything EFI would be dead after an EMP. Ironically even though new fangled solid state would be junk, stuff that still rocks tubes would just shrug at an EMP. That's one reason guys keep those old boat anchors around...

TIMZTOY
08-12-2011, 08:31 AM
How about computers sitting on a shelf ? Since there not hooked to a power source.
And What exactlly fries in a "device" during a emp ? Capacitors holding a charge ?

60wag
08-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Would I still be able to text while driving after an EMP?

Uncle Ben
08-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Cant fire fuel injectors without a computer in a EFI vehicle. Trannys will still drive in 1st gear and reverse.

TIMZTOY
08-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Cant fire fuel injectors without a computer in a EFI vehicle. Trannys will still drive in 1st gear and reverse.

im not 100% but i belive the auto tranny should still run if you manually shift it. but first you need to get the engine running. :hill:

DaveInDenver
08-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Would I still be able to text while driving after an EMP?
Very, very high EMP tolerance...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_diZSPv9Qnrg/TT66jV8bvKI/AAAAAAAAAFo/Ho_qCq_wpfg/s1600/pencil_paper.jpg

Uncle Ben
08-12-2011, 12:27 PM
im not 100% but i belive the auto tranny should still run if you manually shift it. but first you need to get the engine running. :hill:

nope...solenoid shifted!

Wes would be the only one of us with a working Cruiser!

60wag
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Very, very high EMP tolerance...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_diZSPv9Qnrg/TT66jV8bvKI/AAAAAAAAAFo/Ho_qCq_wpfg/s1600/pencil_paper.jpg

Is that with real carbon lead or synthetic plastic lead? :)

nattybumppo
08-12-2011, 04:09 PM
How about an old carburated FJ40 if you coast-started it?

Uncle Ben
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
How about an old carburated FJ40 if you coast-started it?

If the coil isn't fried it will work...

Snowrun
08-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know if the 80 or 100 series has built in EMP protection? They are after all used by military's and the UN around the globe.

Uncle Ben
08-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know if the 80 or 100 series has built in EMP protection? They are after all used by military's and the UN around the globe.

Why yes they do! They both EMPty the wallet at every gas station that they can't pass! :lmao::lmao:

subzali
08-12-2011, 05:23 PM
:lmao: :lmao:

DaveInDenver
08-12-2011, 05:43 PM
EMP shielding involves thick aluminum or copper, well grounded. Nothing mobile, particularly with exposed wires and connectors, with semiconductors is gonna cut it. So your answer is likely nope, they'd be just as dead as the fanciest sports car, coupe or mall terrain SUV at Macy's. Even things seemingly robust, like say a 1979 FJ40, will have issues. Electronic ignition has BJT amps in it, so it'll be fried. Now that's not tough to work around, getcha a points ignition (assuming the condensor isn't smoked and you can find one).

One thing I bet a lot of people haven't considered, like off grid folks, is that solar cells will be ruined by an EMP. If the cells themselves make it, the bypass diodes will be fried, leaving them to over volt your load. The charge controllers for the batteries will have died. Point is, the only things really EMP 'proof' are cast iron cookware, strike anywhere matches, bacon lard and candles.

Uncle Ben
08-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Point is, the only things really EMP 'proof' are cast iron cookware, strike anywhere matches, bacon lard and candles.

See....what did I tell you? Wes' Cruiser is EMP safe! :D

Snowrun
08-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Why yes they do! They both EMPty the wallet at every gas station that they can't pass! :lmao::lmao:
:thumb: Loving every bit of that 11 miles per gallon mileage.

Point is, the only things really EMP 'proof' are cast iron cookware, strike anywhere matches, bacon lard and candles.
Well we at least we will have bacon. Mmmm bacon. :)

DaveInDenver
08-12-2011, 07:22 PM
http://www.baconunwrapped.com/uploaded_images/farmerbilly-733560.jpg

http://thehostages.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/bacon-hitler.jpg

theboomboom
08-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Not sure about that Boom-Boom. Don't they have some sort of tranny computer? Yeah, anything EFI would be dead after an EMP. Ironically even though new fangled solid state would be junk, stuff that still rocks tubes would just shrug at an EMP. That's one reason guys keep those old boat anchors around...

It'll roll just fine if there is nothing connecting the differentials to the transmission :hill:

Bruce Miller
08-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Is the only EFI component in my 1966 Land Cruiser the condenser? If it is, why not remove it and place it in a Faraday cage? Then after the EMP incident, I reinstall the condenser and I'm the only guy driving down the highway?

Inukshuk
08-14-2011, 01:06 PM
.... tubes would just shrug at an EMP. That's one reason guys keep those old boat anchors around...

I see the next project: an EFI computer made from tubes.

Guess that answers it!

... the only things really EMP 'proof' are cast iron cookware, strike anywhere matches, bacon lard and candles.

what happens to aluminum cookware?

DaveInDenver
08-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Vacuum tube EFI ECU. Maybe not. You'd need a deuce and a half to pull it around.

But how about a Nixie tube alarm clock? For real, a whole alarm clock made from tubes. No oversleeping on Judgement Day.

http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/06/15/total-tube-clock/