PDA

View Full Version : Any 22r carb gurus out there?

DenCo40
08-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I have a stock 22r in an 82 pickup that just wont idle. It will idle at 1000 rpm but as soon as I bring it down any further it dies. I recently rebuilt the carburetor because it ran poorly. Now it runs awesome but wont hold an idle. I even went and bought a webber just so i knew the engine was fine when i had it installed. Ive rebuilt carburetors in the past and know my way around carbs but this one has me stumped.
I have checked the obvious culprits:
AAP
choke
Intake leaks
linkage
fuel bowl level
Idle cuttoff solenoid
Timing
compression
etc

Anyone have any more ideas?

treerootCO
08-14-2011, 11:06 AM
internal vacuum leak (burnt valve). Try choking off some of the airflow to the engine and see if it will idle.

J Kimmel
08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I went though mine a couple of times, I had a stumble I could not get rid of and finally stuck some welding wire through a couple of passages and found more blockage. That and rebuilding with all new diaphragms really helped it run great.

RicardoJM
08-14-2011, 06:19 PM
TheBoomBoom's would not idle because of a bad splice that was causing intermittent power to get to the Idle Cutoff Solenoid.

Does the high idle circuit function as it should? One pump of the gas and when it fires up it should go right to high idle. Once it is warmed up it should kick down to low idle.

Are you trying to get it to low idle after the engine has warmed up?

We have an FSM for 82 if it will help you.

DenCo40
08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
TheBoomBoom's would not idle because of a bad splice that was causing intermittent power to get to the Idle Cutoff Solenoid.

Does the high idle circuit function as it should? One pump of the gas and when it fires up it should go right to high idle. Once it is warmed up it should kick down to low idle.

Are you trying to get it to low idle after the engine has warmed up?

We have an FSM for 82 if it will help you.

Good thinking there..Now that you mention it. As soon as the high idle drops- thats when it completely dies. It wont die if I have the idle set way high though. I wonder what that is telling me?
I think I will look into that. Also Something I forgot to mention that the Idle mixture screw has little or no affect on it unless it is screwed all the way in....

theboomboom
08-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Good thinking there..Now that you mention it. As soon as the high idle drops- thats when it completely dies. It wont die if I have the idle set way high though. I wonder what that is telling me?
I think I will look into that. Also Something I forgot to mention that the Idle mixture screw has little or no affect on it unless it is screwed all the way in....

Its pretty easy to tell if the solenoid is not functioning. When you turn the key to the "on" position, you should hear a click from under the hood. No click, solenoid is not functioning. IIRC we were able to get the truck to idle on the high idle circuit at around 2000 rpm before we determined that the solenoid wasn't working. It was pretty obvious something wasn't right at that point though, because the tuning was so far from factory spec.