PDA

View Full Version : Blanca

Uncle Ben
08-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Home and showered, yea! I'll post a few pics tomorrow. Awesome trip! It has been a while since I was there and I can tell you it will not be as long till next time! I totally forgot how beautiful the trail and especially Lake Como and all the way to the top lake are. In fact the trail was very familiar UNTIL we got to Lake Como.....I swear I've never been there before. Might have to start doing it annually again like we used to! :thumb::thumb: BTW I put exactly 500 miles round trip on my tow vehicle from my house to my house! :eek:

Kipper
08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
something is wrong with my browser. I keep scrolling down to see the pics, but it just stops and won't go any further?

wesintl
08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/5bG_qWRHRPmvMjogRmNwoq77AkyADWqLP77t5B6fprPO1jRRF7A5QPsTiXisHFo68vSJ6Iu6yYwrMOE9NBxQphpAA6LxEuBznB3xlDn4vucAUgvxj28yg8-sqH9KKROq1BBWGraFgC9tNLwJ3t0Ba0onzQ

Uncle Ben
08-15-2011, 03:26 PM
something is wrong with my browser. I keep scrolling down to see the pics, but it just stops and won't go any further?

Give me a break man.....unlike you I have to work for a living! :eek::p::lmao::lmao: OK I'll try to load at least a teaser pic from my laptop....

Uncle Ben
08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
End of the road at Blue Lake

wesintl
08-15-2011, 05:11 PM
:bowdown::bowdown:

is that treeroots 40 :D

Uncle Ben
08-15-2011, 05:13 PM
:bowdown::bowdown:

is that treeroots 40 :D

Treeroot has a 40? :confused:

wesintl
08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Touché

treerootCO
08-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Treeroot has a 40? :confused:

Touché

I tried to follow Kevin's 40 and my wallet gave out :D

Currently working on paying off my debt. Maybe next year I'll start working on the 40.

Uncle Ben
08-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Maybe next year I'll start working on the 40.

Got it.....

Uncle Ben
08-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Well for some reason pics on my phone aren't syncing. Probably because I have been badmouthing Google because of their support to greenies....:rolleyes:

Here are pics from Sunday that are all above Lake Como.

Uncle Ben
08-15-2011, 11:34 PM
...more from the top, above timberline in the Blue Lakes area. (After Jaws 4)

Uncle Ben
08-16-2011, 12:35 AM
The trip down and back was pretty uneventful. Once we pulled off Hwy 150 to the Lake Como Road (Blanca trail) the fun began. the sand at the parking area was deep! I nearly got stuck even with my truck in 4wd just pulling the Cruiser on the trailer. Trevor (CLC) did get his 2WD tow rig stuck until he unloaded his 40 then he was able to get free and get parked. Like little kids we had a lot of fun in the trail rigs in the deep sand and the long sandy road to the mountain. It was very hot in the San Luis Valley and all three of us were eager to get up to higher altitude! I developed a power steering leak early up the first hill. An o-ring blew out on the PSC pump. We could see the tow rigs and trailers from where we had pulled over to fix it but they were so tiny already that noone wanted to drive back to my truck to get my o-ring cashe. We pondered many differant repairs and one by one they were rejected knowing full well that the heat and high pressure would win. Trevor came over to me with a high quality surgical glove and we all laughed at first but after checking the finger sizes it appeared the pinky was close to the same size as the OD of the damaged o-ring. I cut a 1/4" ish wide band and slid it over the fitting and o-ring. Carefully the fitting was put in the port so the thin glove piece wouldn't just bunch up. Fingers crossed and very little faith we started the Cruiser and OMG....it didn't leak! We should have headed to my truck below at that point and get my o-ring kit but instead we went on up....it held the whole time with only a minor drip or two! When we finally got to Blanca mountain and the Jaws obsticals the trip was easy! :rolleyes: Jaws 1 barely slowed us down. Jaws 2 we had to wait for some "Gods gift to the 4x4 trail" J**p guys to come down. It really sucks that a-holes like that still exist! We headed up 2 with no problem. Jaws 2.5 was the nastiest I have ever seen but we glided across it drooling over each others serious articulation (really that was freaking cool to see!). :bowdown::zilla::bowdown::zilla::bowdown::zilla: Jaws 3 was it's usual and we all took the farthest left line that did find each one of us searching for traction but up we went. The rest of the shelf road to the lake was challenging only because you wanted to take in the beautiful scenery but had to pay attention as its quite narrow in several places. Lake Como was more gorgeous than I remember. Absolutely breathtaking!!!! Ben (War Pig 55) and I stopped to chat with Jeff, a very nice guy driving an ultra uber rare Emerald Green Collecters Edition 80 who was camping there with his wife and another couple. Trevor scouted around for a camp site and yelled at us from across the lake when he found our evening paradise nook. The wind was on and off and from the north so it was quite chilly at 11,740 feet above sea level! We very quickly set up camp, wolfed down the monster burritoes I had heating on my engine drank multiple malted beverages and simply just really enjoyed being cold! :thumb:;) The wind died down over night and the lake was a mirror in the morning! Fish were jumping everywhere! :woot::woot: I was the only one with a fishing pole and gear so I felt it was my duty to catch breakfast. On night crawlers I probably caught and tossed back in 12-15 rainbows and cutthroat trout that were 5-6" long. Fun but just not worth the effort. Finally I found a hole and between the worms and a 1/4oz blue Castmaster lure I landed 5 beautiful medium sized cutthroats......mmmmmmm breakfast is served! We very slowly packed up and drove on up Jaws 4 and to the end of the trail at the bigger of the Blue Lakes. It was Marmot City up there and those little guys made sure we knew they didn't like visitors! The drive down was fun and uneventful. We did encounter some cool Jeep guys that had a brake line issue. Trevor offered our help and they were grateful but already had the issue nearly taken care of. More silliness in the sand at the bottom and we loaded up and hit the blacktop north. Fantastic trip! Wish I could have stayed at Lake Como for a week!

isotel
08-16-2011, 02:21 AM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=24656&stc=1&d=1313468610
Hi Rez Request! - Trevor@crawlorado.com

:cheers: Great Trip indeed, Mt Blanca is the Holy Grail of Colorado Trails!

PhatFJ
08-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Great pic's!! :thumb: Glad you had a good trip!! Want to go up again, late September?? :D

pmccumber
08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Funny writeup! Nice fish too. That 55 looks pretty burly; did it have any clearance issues? That picture of the pig and the one preceding it give a real sense of the trail. I've walked it but I'd sure like to see some wagons go up it just to have a sense.

Kipper
08-16-2011, 01:57 PM
wow! that looks like a kickass trail/trip!

Kipper
08-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Can you post a pic of the kastmaster lure you were using?

Caribou Sandstorm
08-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Great write up UB!

Uncle Ben
08-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Funny writeup! Nice fish too. That 55 looks pretty burly; did it have any clearance issues? That picture of the pig and the one preceding it give a real sense of the trail. I've walked it but I'd sure like to see some wagons go up it just to have a sense.

Paul, I would take my 80 up in a heart beat! Jaws 3 is by-passable but I think an 80 would go up the right line just fine! That 55 is plenty capable! He did have worn AT's on it for the road trip but the War Pig will amaze all who see!

Uncle Ben
08-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Can you post a pic of the kastmaster lure you were using?

in blue... http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!Bww5nDgCGk~$(KGrHqZ,!g4Ev1+0DoM8BMKhPgM6zg~~_3.JPG

pmccumber
08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Paul, I would take my 80 up in a heart beat! Jaws 3 is by-passable but I think an 80 would go up the right line just fine! That 55 is plenty capable! He did have worn AT's on it for the road trip but the War Pig will amaze all who see!

That is exactly what I was angling for. Now I wanna go. But I will Need a God fearing, gun totin, flag waving conservative to lead me up the trail.:)

Convert
08-16-2011, 09:07 PM
That is exactly what I was angling for. Now I wanna go. But I will Need a God fearing, gun totin, flag waving conservative to lead me up the trail.:)

That's funny PM ----UB looks like you need to organize a 80's only trip :D

Inukshuk
08-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Funny that just today a climber friend asked if I'd drive her up there sometime. Sounds like no problem but not a road to do alone. great report!

UB - was the 500 miles direct door to door from Boulder there and back?

How long did it take to get to lake Como from the start of the trail?

Old40Dog
08-16-2011, 09:48 PM
UB = "LuckyDog"...This among the ultimate trails in Colorado--scenic and challanging-- and right up there as one of the coolest places on earth! Wanna go....sooner rather than later!:rant: Wanted to do this trail this year with sonme others, but just couldn't fit it in. Glad you got to do it and gvce us such a great report UB!

Guess it's better to be a "LuckDog" than an "Old40Dog...At least right now anyway...UB...you "LuckyDog! :lmao: (Black Hills and Blanca within a month!)

Uncle Ben
08-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Funny that just today a climber friend asked if I'd drive her up there sometime. Sounds like no problem but not a road to do alone. great report!

UB - was the 500 miles direct door to door from Boulder there and back?

How long did it take to get to lake Como from the start of the trail?

From my house to my house. Google map it. The town of Blanca or Hooper would both be withing 10 miles of the trail head.

Uncle Ben
08-16-2011, 11:05 PM
That's funny PM ----UB looks like you need to organize a 80's only trip :D

Probably wont happen this year again for me but Lets do a wagon run to Lake Como in 2012!

Rezarf
08-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Great write up Kevin, that is amazing scenery. I love the pics, that is what drew me to colorado in the first place. Amazing stuff, looks like a fast, well built group.

Inukshuk
07-31-2012, 12:09 PM
What time would you budget to get to lake Como from the start of dirt? Return?

Uncle Ben
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
What time would you budget to get to lake Como from the start of dirt? Return?

That is a hard to answer question Dan! If no one is ahead of you causing delays and your group cleans the obstacles with no issues, you can be at Lake Como in 3-4 hours maybe less. If you have someone with ill maintained equipment, really slow driver, obstacle difficulties, traffic ahead of you....plan on a day on the trail! This is a great run but if you're in a hurry you should not have a big group and in all scenarios you want to hit the trail early o'clock! Your results may vary! Be prepared as the lower section will be hot and the vehicles in your group might have heat related issues too, especially if your slipping the autos and crawling really slow!

Inukshuk
08-01-2012, 12:16 AM
That is a hard to answer question Dan! If no one is ahead of you causing delays and your group cleans the obstacles with no issues, you can be at Lake Como in 3-4 hours maybe less. If you have someone with ill maintained equipment, really slow driver, obstacle difficulties, traffic ahead of you....plan on a day on the trail! This is a great run but if you're in a hurry you should not have a big group and in all scenarios you want to hit the trail early o'clock! Your results may vary! Be prepared as the lower section will be hot and the vehicles in your group might have heat related issues too, especially if your slipping the autos and crawling really slow!

:thumb: Thanks!