PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Coolers Info Request

ttubb
08-18-2011, 09:54 AM
My daughter has a 99 4Runner with auto. She recently bought a small trailer to haul her band's stuff in while on tour here in Colorado.

Question - Are any of you using an additional transmission cooler on your 4Runners/Landcruisers? I know hers has a cooling loop thru the radiator stock.

Question - Have any of you had problems towing with the stock system?

Thanks, Terry

TIMZTOY
08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
i've never seen any issues in the a340 series of transmissions. hell i towed a 14' flat bed trailer loaded to its max with a 2.7l 4cyl and a a340e tranny in my 99 2wd taco. from keywest florida through the tennesee mountains (hills lol) and eventually though missouri and into colorado, with no issues what so ever. i wouldnt worry about it if it was me.
but if you are still consirned all the parts stors sell coolers you can add onto any system.

74fj40
08-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Tim- I thought you bought your truck with a blown tranny and rebuilt it...? :confused:

TIMZTOY
08-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Tim- I thought you bought your truck with a blown tranny and rebuilt it...? :confused:

I did but It was still a A340E And I did a stock oem rebuild, nothing fancy. Then towed a ass load for 2000 miles ish right out of the gate. Which I should have waited 10,000 miles to put any hard load on it.

SteveH
08-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Terry - unless she is hauling far in excess of Toyota suggests for a maximum towing weight, I wouldn't worry. It doesn't sound like she is.

corsair23
08-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Terry - unless she is hauling far in excess of Toyota suggests for a maximum towing weight, I wouldn't worry. It doesn't sound like she is.

x2 - We tow our popup (3000lbs loaded give or take) with the '97 LX450 with factory tranny cooler and never had an issue with the tranny temp - engine temp and power issues are another story :hill:

I'd suggest keeping an eye on engine temp because IMO the tranny cooler can help heat soak part of the radiator making keeping the engine cool harder...

TIMZTOY
08-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Yea. Drive as is. If a issue develops or u don't like how it tows. Then upgrade.

Seldom Seen
08-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Might want to do a search over on Yotatech for "Strawberry Milkshake" seems there's been a rash of 3rd gen 'Runners blowing the radiators internal tranny cooler causing the tranny fluid and antifreeze to mix and taking out the tranny.

TIMZTOY
08-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Might want to do a search over on Yotatech for "Strawberry Milkshake" seems there's been a rash of 3rd gen 'Runners blowing the radiators internal tranny cooler causing the tranny fluid and antifreeze to mix and taking out the tranny.

That's why I had to rebuild mine. (bought it like that) but he was in a front end bump that speared his radiator. But he drove it back home (1-2 miles). So he replaced his radiator and flushed his coolent, didn't think about the tranny. But by that time the damage was done and the antifreeze distorted every clutch material disk. Actually deterrotated the material.