PDA

View Full Version : Leadville?

SteveH
08-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Taking the family camping to Leadville - does anyone have their own list of 'must not miss' museums, restaurants, or family type things to do? I can't seem to find a definitive list on the web.

Thanks!

DaveInDenver
08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
If you have any interest at all in the mining and natural history of Colorado, the National Mining Museum up there is very good. Maybe drive up to Turquoise Lake, see Camp Hale.

SteveH
08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Sounds good - that might be enough to soak up the extra time we have. Thanks!

gr8fulabe
08-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Are u going this weekend? The Leadville trail 100 is this weekend, so I would go elsewhere unless u lime the race.

kurtnkegger
08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
The train up freemont pass is pretty cool....Pack a picnic lunch, and go for a little ride.

60wag
08-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Mosquito pass is pretty cool. I spent a number of weekends in Leadville due to some free lodging there some years ago. Unfortunately I never found any food that I would consider "do not miss."

The fish hatchery is fun with kids.

Nay
08-18-2011, 09:15 PM
The fish hatchery is fun with kids.

The question for this weekend is really whether or not it is fun with hundreds of ultra-marathon runners and their crews.

pmccumber
08-18-2011, 10:25 PM
The Mexican joint in Buena Vista on the way in to town is good. Amicas in Salida is definitely in that category especially if like micro double IPAs. Long drive though from Leadville.

SteveH
08-19-2011, 08:54 AM
I was not aware of the Leadville 100, but should have guessed that there would be something going on there. We're tent-camper camping, so if all else fails, we'll hole up there and do family things.

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions!

Nay
08-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I was not aware of the Leadville 100, but should have guessed that there would be something going on there. We're tent-camper camping, so if all else fails, we'll hole up there and do family things.

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions!

You can download a PDF of the course map on the lower right of this link.

Link to download course map (http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/page/show/311976-lt-100-mile-run).

I have a neighbor who is running with my uncle-in-law part of his support crew. I think somewhere around 400 people start the race with their support crews at various check points, so there are going to be several thousand people in the area non-stop from the middle of the night tonight through Sunday morning. The race officially starts at 4:00 am tomorrow morning with a 30 hour cutoff to finish by Sunday.

"Leadville" is obviously a big area, but you might want to check the map to ensure you don't have plans to be anywhere near the race if you are looking for peace and quiet. For example, you might want to avoid Turquoise Lake, Twin Lakes, and the Fish Hatchery :hill:. It also looks like Hagerman is restricted for any vehicles....

rover67
08-19-2011, 01:31 PM
If you get to BV, the Eddyline has super great burgers. I ate there a week or so ago and loved it.

SteveH
08-22-2011, 06:41 AM
We survived the Leadville trip - and to my shock, we never really even saw any of the runners. On Sat., the town was pretty empty. We stayed at the Sugar Loafin' RV park, which had tiny camping spots, but was otherwise ok. Sunday AM, there was a ton more traffic in town.

The high point of the trip was seeing Baby Doe Tabor's cabin and the Matchless mine, as well as Ski Cooper, which I had been wanting to check out for years. Thanks for all the suggestions/observations. If I hadn't been driving the beached whale (F350 crew), towing a camper, I would have gone further up Mosquito Pass.