PDA

View Full Version : Just got tech!

dan1554
08-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Just got my callsign - KDPKJ

After the last run, there was no way I would be going out again sans HAM.

Anyone out there have any recommendations of how a N00b can get more involved with this stuff? A guy I tested with recommended 6m, any experience with that?

See you on the air :blah:

CardinalFJ60
08-18-2011, 05:25 PM
'there goes the neighborhood'...congrats!!

I'll help you explore the local 2m repeaters. It can be fun to test out tx/rx signal, power needs etc with someone on the other end to verify you can be heard.

:thumb::thumb:

wesintl
08-18-2011, 08:51 PM
cq, cq

Congrats Dan!

Hulk
08-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Nicely done!

daveIT
08-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Congrats from another new Ham! I mostly hang around 145.130, but I'm starting to branch out to others.

Dave / KD0PGD

dan1554
08-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks, will try some repeaters this weekend and see if I cant strike up a conversation or two. :cheers:

dan1554
08-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Congrats from another new Ham! I mostly hang around 145.130, but I'm starting to branch out to others.

Dave / KD0PGD

Just missed your post... Yeah I was monitoring 145.130 pre-license and heard occasional traffic, but also want to branch out a bit. Going to try to hit the CRA 147.225 repeater with Shawn tomorrow. No time set, but if you're around I'll probably be monitoring it at least part of the day while I'm wrenching on the truck.

CardinalFJ60
08-19-2011, 11:10 PM
I'll be setting up the new radio for APRS in the 60...I'll give you a shout. Then we can check simplex and other fun stuff. when your ready, get yourself a Yaesu 7r for your next and only HT. ;) that way you can start messing with 6m too. Make that dipole for fun. :thumb:

bh4rnnr
08-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Just got my callsign - KDPKJ

After the last run, there was no way I would be going out again sans HAM.

Anyone out there have any recommendations of how a N00b can get more involved with this stuff? A guy I tested with recommended 6m, any experience with that?

See you on the air :blah:

'there goes the neighborhood'...congrats!!

I'll help you explore the local 2m repeaters. It can be fun to test out tx/rx signal, power needs etc with someone on the other end to verify you can be heard.

:thumb::thumb:

Cool, so now you two can talk to each other from across the office:hill:.

Congrats Dan:thumb: Guess your ready for Outlaws:cool:

:beer:

daveIT
08-21-2011, 09:11 AM
I'll be setting up the new radio for APRS in the 60...I'll give you a shout. Then we can check simplex and other fun stuff. when your ready, get yourself a Yaesu 7r for your next and only HT. ;) that way you can start messing with 6m too. Make that dipole for fun. :thumb:

I got one of those cheap, little Baofeng's coming from Hong Kong. I'm going to try that out. I want a Yaesu HT eventually, but figured I could use the other as a backup. Of course if I like it, I may buy a couple more for $50! Haha.

I'm looking at the FT-60R or that 7R. I have a bunch of Amazon gift card money from trading in old college books. I just wish they would get some more Yaesu dealers on there...Advanced Specialties has the prices jacked up...Amazon must take a good cut of it or something.

CardinalFJ60
08-21-2011, 08:01 PM
don't underestimate the wouxon dual band...for like $120 you get a simple dual band/dual receive radio. On the Moab pre-run someone had one...worked just fine. (it's all about the antenna ;))

go to HRO.com or powerwerx.com to check'em out.

I got a decent yaesu ft-250 (just 2m) HT for under $75 on craiglist a while back..so decent buys are out there.:cheers: