PDA

View Full Version : Maze Run 2011, Nov. 9-13

Pages : [1] 2

Caribou Sandstorm
08-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Ok as requested, let's getter started....

This is an open run, anyone can join but vehicle spots are limited. Been holding driving spots for the same crew that attended last year and Rising Sun Club Members ......OK we are full...

Drivers
Caribou
Wes
Mountain Goat
Rutbeer
Woodsman
Jacket
Marco
1LoudLX
Romer

Riders
Nakman

Maybe
Inukshuk

If you really want to come and we are full vehicle wise, we all have plenty of space for additional passengers..

Dates:
Wed. Nov. 9th - Sunday Nov. 13th
I picked the dates, as they are similar to last year's time frame. We were considering going the weekend prior but I have a can't miss family event that weekend.

Route

Tuesday............White Rim
Wednesday.........White Rim end up at Devil's Kitchen
Thursday............Elephant Hill trail/Beef Basin/Doll House/........
Friday................hike chill
Saturday........drive to Maze Overlook
Sunday.............exit via Poison Springs wash Road crossing the Dirty Devil River and then to highway below Hanksville

If you can't join until Thursday, you could catch up via several paved roads or via a few dirt ones to catch the group...

Woodsman
08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
:cheer:

rover67
08-19-2011, 01:33 PM
i'd like to go.

Inukshuk
08-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Hmm, Outlaws Run in September, Chaco in October and this in November... could be a very good fall. Monitoring but not committing.

Inukshuk
08-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Did you check campsite availability those dates?

Old40Dog
08-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Only a tailpipe dream for this year! Triple By Pass, Ouray Runs, Outlaw Run - followed by a week in Montana...too much gas....need more diesel... but definitely on the bucket list:bolt:

Hulk
08-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Realistically, I'm probably out. This is too close to Thanksgiving for me to request more vacation. :(

Caribou Sandstorm
08-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Did you check campsite availability those dates?

Checking today, need to confirm route plans with the diesel master..

Spoke to the ranger, the sites are all open..but..it is pretty far to try to make it via Elephant Hill/Beef Basin. Might evaluate an alternate southern route to Hite that includes a bit more paved road.

Stay tuned.

OilHammer
08-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Far as in more high speed driving or need another day? I would like to be able to do at least part of the hike at E-hill if possible. Need me some crack!

Convert
08-23-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm in looks like BVB will join me
don't really have a preference on the route

Caribou Sandstorm
08-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Well the ranger I spoke to had never driven from Devil's to Hite.

The questions I had were mostly about the driving time between Devil's kitchen and Hite via the route mentioned. I have driven from 95 to Beef Basin. I think it took Robbie and I about 2 plus hours in the dark. But I do not know how long from Devil's Kitchen to Beef Basin..

The ranger has driven into the Doll house from Hite but He could not remember his route and he said 5 hours.

Then there is the House on Fire Ruin which sounds like we will spend a couple hours walking in checking out and then walking back out.

So really all that originally mentioned before the Doll House sounds like an entire trip by itself.

Now the why from Moab to Hite is about 3 hours, then 5 or less into the Doll House might be a better thing to bite off this time. Which would mean stay in Moab Wednesday night, or somewhere between Moab and Hite.

bh4rnnr
08-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Well the ranger I spoke to had never driven from Devil's to Hite.

The questions I had were mostly about the driving time between Devil's kitchen and Hite via the route mentioned. I have driven from 95 to Beef Basin. I think it took Robbie and I about 2 plus hours in the dark. But I do not know how long from Devil's Kitchen to Beef Basin..

The ranger has driven into the Doll house from Hite but He could not remember his route and he said 5 hours.

Then there is the House on Fire Ruin which sounds like we will spend a couple hours walking in checking out and then walking back out.

So really all that originally mentioned before the Doll House sounds like an entire trip by itself.

Now the why from Moab to Hite is about 3 hours, then 5 or less into the Doll House might be a better thing to bite off this time. Which would mean stay in Moab Wednesday night, or somewhere between Moab and Hite.

The Hite access to the Doll House is nothing more than a high speed dirt rd. Daniel can tell ya all about it.

I'm a bit confused on your route. Are you wanting to get from Devils Kitchen to Beef Basin and Hite? As you know from past trips, from Canyonlands and Devils Kitchen, You can get to Beef Basin via Bobby's Hole. Being November, your going to have a hard time connecting Beef Basin and the Manti La Sal's to 95, as it's a good bet that snow will be starting to fall. I guess it all depends on the weather patterns and could be a hit or miss.

From Moab, it takes a few hours of driving just to reach Hite, on pavement. If your wanting to reach the Doll House from Poison Spring Canyon, give a full day, and a steady pace of driving. Hans Flat and the Flint is the easiest way to reach the Doll House and the Maze.

:beer:

Convert
08-23-2011, 09:08 PM
What about a White Rim Canyon trip ? Is the road still washed out? Can it be done in our time frame? Hole in the Rock I think that is the trail name, just trying to generate some conversation. There is a ton of back country to explore in that direction

Inukshuk
08-23-2011, 10:21 PM
The Hite access to the Doll House is nothing more than a high speed dirt rd. Daniel can tell ya all about it.

From Moab, it takes a few hours of driving just to reach Hite, on pavement. If your wanting to reach the Doll House from Poison Spring Canyon, give a full day, and a steady pace of driving. Hans Flat and the Flint is the easiest way to reach the Doll House and the Maze.

3.5 hours from Moab to Hite. 3 hours from Hite to the dollhouse. The road from Hite to the big meadow we too the group shot is graded dirt. 30 - 60 the whole way.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-24-2011, 09:03 AM
I asked a few questions over in the expo portal.

Kurt gave me some additional time frames.

Here is the thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/65869-Maze-trip-route-question?p=942677#post942677

Also see their Sep. 2010 trip, pretty epic.

Based on Kurt's and Dan's time estimates. I think we could put a route together that works. Someone in the portal also mentioned Poison spring canyon as a not to be missed section.

MDH33
08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
What about a White Rim Canyon trip ? Is the road still washed out? Can it be done in our time frame? Hole in the Rock I think that is the trail name, just trying to generate some conversation. There is a ton of back country to explore in that direction

White Rim and Hole in the Rock are two different trails, pretty far apart too. (And both are on my list of trails to-do).

MDH33
08-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Based on Kurt's and Dan's time estimates. I think we could put a route together that works. Someone in the portal also mentioned Poison spring canyon as a not to be missed section.

Check out the Outlaw's Run trip report from a few years ago, I posted a bunch of pics of the route through Poison Spring Canyon.

Maze Outlaw's Run (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8296)

Caribou Sandstorm
08-24-2011, 10:06 AM
White Rim and Hole in the Rock are two different trails, pretty far apart too. (And both are on my list of trails to-do).

x2, I was not thinking of the Swell or RIM only because these I would probably do either with the swell overnighter some day or with a mountain bike group. But I am open to any route the group feels they want to explore.

Check out the Outlaw's Run trip report from a few years ago, I posted a bunch of pics of the route through Poison Spring Canyon.

Maze Outlaw's Run (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8296)

Thanks for the reference Martin!

Caribou Sandstorm
08-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Well I am back to my original idea of camping Wednesday night in Devil's Kitchen, then getting up an on trail by 7AM....through Bobby's Hole by 8:30 and the goal is to get to Hite by 1pm.

Then on to the Doll House by 4-5pm Thursday night.

The only section I need to evaluate time better is between Bobby's Hole and hwy 95. If it can be done within 3-4 hours then we have a solid option for a southern route.

Edit.....the guys in the expo portal also mentioned this cool section called Poison Springs Wash Road and a water crossing called Dirty Devil river crossing..the expo thread i linked has a thread that highlights this section very well.

So the southern loop option might look something like....drum roll........

Wednesday
Denver to Devil's kitchen

Thrusday
Devil's Kitchen/Bobby's hole/House on Fire ruin/Hite/camp somewhere on Poison Springs wash road

Friday
Poison Springs to Doll House by lunch time/ Hike the Harvest return for late dinner to the Doll House

Saturday
Doll House to Maze Overlook

Sunday
Maze Overlook to Denver

I am going to confirm route with Kurt from Cruiser outfitters, as he knows the area really well. Then check in with Wes and make reservations.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Lets bring our maps to the Rally and discuss routes, also see my new notes in the above thread.

rover67
08-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Lets bring our maps to the Rally and discuss routes, also see my new notes in the above thread.

Sounds good.

Jacket
08-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Not sure I'll make it to the Rally, but I like (a lot) what you outlined. Not sure when I can leave on Wednesday....so maybe I'll be running Ehill at night....:eek:

Caribou Sandstorm
08-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Not sure I'll make it to the Rally, but I like (a lot) what you outlined. Not sure when I can leave on Wednesday....so maybe I'll be running Ehill at night....:eek:

Me too! But that would make it cool and different, rolling in with lights is serious overland stuff!!

rover67
08-25-2011, 09:55 AM

me three.

Jacket
08-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Check it out. Looks like we won't need to worry about sunlight!! Awesome...

Moon Phases, November 2011
First Quarter – November 2, 16:38
Full Moon – November 10, 20:16
Last Quarter – November 18, 15:09
New Moon – November 25, 06:10

OilHammer
08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Oh goody! Another excuse to buy stuff for my truck....group buy on LED driving lights from Ridgid Industries? heh
I would be in the same boat on a Wednesday leave. Tough to take that many days, so leaving later on Wednesday would be a requirement if I can even get out that early.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Well it is 6 hours to Moab from Denver (as everyone knows all to well) and another 2 or so to Devil's Kitchen, so it is a full 8+ hours to Devil's from Denver..

If you could leave Denver by 4pm that would put you in to camp after midnight...

If you could sneak out by 3pm, that would put you in by 11pm-ish..time for one or 2 beers..

Then you gotta pack it up quick, cause the armada needs to leave the dock between 7-8 the next morning..

rover67
08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Well it is 6 hours to Moab from Denver (as everyone knows all to well) and another 2 or so to Devil's Kitchen, so it is a full 8+ hours to Devil's from Denver..

If you could leave Denver by 4pm that would put you in to camp after midnight...

If you could sneak out by 3pm, that would put you in by 11pm-ish..time for one or 2 beers..

Then you gotta pack it up quick, cause the armada needs to leave the dock between 7-8 the next morning..

in reality I don't think i could sit at work much after 3ish really anyways...

Caribou Sandstorm
08-25-2011, 03:00 PM
I know, this thing is months out and I am looking at maps, other forums, getting side tracked with some dream baja expedition...So I will be useless at work for the days before this trip, fo sho..

Woodsman
08-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Maybe this time I will be sitting there waiting for you guys at camp . . . cause I don't have that pesky "employer" problem.

Inukshuk
08-25-2011, 11:10 PM
I know, this thing is months out and I am looking at maps, other forums, getting side tracked with some dream baja expedition...So I will be useless at work for the days before this trip, fo sho..

The Baja dream will happen. I have been on that a few years already - lets do it!

I'm reading Montana maps every day for the Outlaws run and last night my GPS came to life again. Planning is part of the fun.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Daniel, If you can't make the Mazerun in Nov., I need to ask you about the harvest hike and your gps. Wonder if I could download that map to a smart phone or maybe get a gps befoe that trip.

rover67
08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Daniel, If you can't make the Mazerun in Nov., I need to ask you about the harvest hike and your gps. Wonder if I could download that map to a smart phone or maybe get a gps befoe that trip.

i have a gps that would be easy to use (etrex vista HCx ) . I got a lot of practice with it on the CTR. I just need the track.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Cool we can synch up with Daniel on what we need to download.

Inukshuk
08-26-2011, 10:18 PM

I'm not finding the track of the hike. Odd. I'll look more and I can also plot it in GPS format

1loudLX
08-27-2011, 07:58 PM
So, how about having a 100 along? This sounds like an awesome trip and someone told me there was an extra spot ;)

OilHammer
08-29-2011, 09:25 AM
:D No extra spot....at least not mine. The wife gave me the go ahead last night! Woohoo!
It's only going to cost me foot rubs every night from now until then...and probably a lot of poop diaper changes too.
Now if I can just find a better job and coordinate the end of this one to be right before the trip, and have the next one start after, I would be Golden with her.
Pretty sure this will bake the rest of my vacation days for sure....

jonharis
08-29-2011, 10:26 AM
So, how about having a 100 along? This sounds like an awesome trip and someone told me there was an extra spot ;)

If loud doesn't go I wanna go. :)

nakman
08-29-2011, 03:27 PM
In.

as a passenger. :)

Romer
08-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Damn, debating this vs Surf n Turf

I'm sure you guys could squeeze my rig into your list, can't you?

The wheeling on this trip would be more fun

OilHammer
08-29-2011, 04:41 PM

I hear 100's are too wide to squeeze in...:beer:

1loudLX
08-29-2011, 04:45 PM
more skinny pedal.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Surf N Turf could be awesome but man that is a hike on the hwy...

The first 2 nights we have space but The Doll House will only allow 9 total cars, 3 per camp site. We could squeeze you in at the Maze Camp site.....PM sent...

Caribou Sandstorm
08-29-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm in looks like BVB will join me
don't really have a preference on the route

I missed this, just added BVB to the list!

1loudLX
08-30-2011, 03:45 AM
So what maps do I need to get harris to make me? ;)

Romer
08-30-2011, 07:21 AM
I am guessing this isnt a trail to pull my Kimberley on, is that correct?

OilHammer
08-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Last year involved some pretty high speed gravel driving. (I know I hit 60mph and I was a slow one) There was one trailer last year, and I know he was commenting that he was drifting with the trailer in some of the turns. I was pretty white knuckled in some of those turns without a trailer, but then I was the only 40 too. The route will determine fuel usage, but that's also something to be considered with extra weight. That said, space is so limited in the campgrounds that I think trailers should be left at home if at all possible. I suppose the ideal scenario would be roof top tents, but then there's that high speed driving thing again....

While I'm at it, a couple lessons learned from last year. Ignore if you have been on the trip already.
Xtra breakfast burritos are good to have.
Xtra fuel is good to have, but not necessary for diesels.
If you bring beer, bring cans, and pad them well or you won't have any beer when you get there.
Hams rock. They were essential for dodging holes at high speed.
Bring good hiking shoes, and a camelbak.
Bring your best camera.
It gets cold at night, bring some good layers.
Bring a wide brim hat.
GPS and good maps are good to have. This is WAY out in the middle of nowhere.
The mice are hungry....
At least one truck should have chains just in case.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Barry thoughts are good for sure...Might not be the best route for the Kimberley..especially as we enter Elephant hill.. You could skip that section and join up the next day on 95 en route to Poison Springs but again the route down to Doll House has one section that has a bunch of tight and dipping turns..And as Barry mentioned there is the brisk pace to keep. You might enjoy driving with out it on this one.

I use a cot in my tent and that is such a plus vs. sleeping on the ground. They are pretty cheap at places like Walmart, in case anyone else is considering this as an option.

..If you have a down sleeping bag bring it..Also a down jacket for after sunset and before sunrise are perfect companions and double as a pillow..

Barry you just reminded me of our mouse friend at Doll House 1, that little sucker was fast..

Caribou Sandstorm
08-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Ok, revised and firmed up routes to consider.

We have a couple of options and actually both options end up in the same area. A Northern and Southern route..Both Southern and Northern groups could converge somewhere along Poison Springs Wash Road. Please sound off as to what route you want to do, as it will impact camp site reservations.

Northern route
If you can't leave until late Wednesday, you could drive from Denver to GJ/Fruita/Rabbit Valley Wednesday night.. and then head on I70 passed Green River, exit 149 onto hwy 24 head south passed Hanksville onto 95 then left at Poison Springs Wash Road. Camping Thursday night at Dirty Devil River crossing or preferrably further in toward Doll House on North Hatch Canyon Road/Possibly Sunset Pass area.

Southern option
Wednesday
Denver to Elephant Hill trail to Devil's kitchen camp ground

Thursday
Bobby's hole/thruogh Beef Basin to 95/Hite/camp somewhere on Poison Springs wash road at pr past Dirty Devil River Crossing

(Note: I removed House on Fire Ruin for now, we will just have to see how quickly we can get on the road in the morning and when we arrive in that region, might have to try this one on another trip. No use doing House on Fire after 12PM, as the sun rises too high and the feature loses the effect. This will also give us a chance to get deeper in toward Doll House, making Friday's run into the Doll House just a few hours at best.

Both Groups together from here
Friday
Poison Springs to Doll House by noon/ Hike to the Harvest Scene return to the Doll Houseby 4-ish...The goal here is to arrive at the Dolll House, drop our gear at our camps and head back to Chimney rock by noon-ish. This will be a brisk hike in to the see the Harvest scene. This is a round trip 6 mile hike. Good shoes, water, layers, food, your best camera..

Saturday
Break camp at Doll House and head to the Maze Overlook.

Sunday
Maze Overlook to Denver

1loudLX
08-30-2011, 10:31 AM
I can leave anytime so I want to do the fun part.

bh4rnnr
08-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Ok, revised and firmed up routes to consider.

We have a couple of options and actually both options end up in the same area. A Northern and Southern route..Both Southern and Northern groups could converge somewhere along Poison Springs Wash Road. Please sound off as to what route you want to do, as it will impact camp site reservations.

Northern route
If you can't leave until late Wednesday, you could drive from Denver to GJ/Fruita/Rabbit Valley Wednesday night.. and then head on I70 passed Green River, exit 149 onto hwy 24 head south passed Hanksville onto 95 then left at Poison Springs Wash Road. Camping Thursday night at Dirty Devil River crossing or preferrably further in toward Doll House on North Hatch Canyon Road/Possibly Sunset Pass area.

Southern option
Wednesday
Denver to Elephant Hill trail to Devil's kitchen camp ground

Thursday
Bobby's hole/thruogh Beef Basin to 95/Hite/camp somewhere on Poison Springs wash road at pr past Dirty Devil River Crossing

(Note: I removed House on Fire Ruin for now, we will just have to see how quickly we can get on the road in the morning and when we arrive in that region, might have to try this one on another trip. No use doing House on Fire after 12PM, as the sun rises too high and the feature loses the effect. This will also give us a chance to get deeper in toward Doll House, making Friday's run into the Doll House just a few hours at best.

Both Groups together from here
Friday
Poison Springs to Doll House by 10-11AM/ Hike to the Harvest Scene return for late dinner to the Doll House...The goal here is to arrive at the Dolll House, drop our gear at our camps and head back to Chimney rock as soon as possible. This will be a brisk hike in to the see the Harvest scene. We will most likley be coming out after sunset but just before dark hits. This is a round trip 10 mile hike. Good shoes, water, layers, food, your best camera.. This long hike is opional, there is also good hiking down to the confluence.

Saturday
Break camp at Doll House and head to the Maze Overlook.

Sunday
Maze Overlook to Denver

Sounds good:cool:.

Would like to request a short 5 minute break in Beef Basin near our camp from the last trip. Have some personal buisness to take care of (something i've been needing to do since a 10 day trek in '08).

Looks like i'll still be riding along, well, that is if you guys want to put up with me again:eek::hill:.

:beer::beer:

rover67
08-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Route sounds nice, looking forward to covering some miles in the Desert. The drive from Devil's Kitchen through Bobby's hole to BB is fast and fun.

Bobby's hole wasn't hard at all, but it is a classic and a neat climb in the middle of nowhere.

Looking forward to connecting Beef Basin to Hite via Dirt. Been wanting to do that section.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Sounds good:cool:.

Would like to request a short 5 minute break in Beef Basin near our camp from the last trip. Have some personal buisness to take care of (something i've been needing to do since a 10 day trek in '08).

Looks like i'll still be riding along, well, that is if you guys want to put up with me again:eek::hill:.

You can car hop, all you want! Glad you in!

nakman
08-30-2011, 10:24 PM
You can car hop, all you want! Glad you in!

Looking great.. I'm car hopping along with Perry, and will gladly volunteer my driving/spotting/rock stacking/field repair/cooking/minstrel skills to the group.

And I've camped in Rabbit Valley, camped at Devil's Kitchen.. to compare it's Devil's Kitchen ftw the whole way, but to roll in at 1:00 am then up at 7:00 you kinda lose that, as screwing around in those cracks is what's all about. but who am I talking to.. :D happy to go with the flow though, but for the Northern route I'd say power past Rabbit Valley another hour then land at Crystal Geyser by Green River- that place is pretty cool to check out for a few minutes in the morning.
elxfvPCYiuQ

Then you're only an hour from the turn towards Hanksville the next morning. :thumb:

Jacket
08-30-2011, 10:24 PM
A full moon at Devil's Kitchen is pretty tough to pass up - I'm liking the Southern route.

Perry - What did you leave in Beef Basin? Your favorite pair of boxers?

Caribou Sandstorm
08-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Since we are skipping House on Fire ruin, we don't have to head out as early from Devil's Kitchen. just had a thought. You could crash at Rabbit Valley, if too tired/late to make it to Devil's and then catch the group in the morning.

We need to fab up some Gamaviti burrito cookers...

Jacket
08-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Yea - it sure would be nice to get to Devil's Kitchen early enough to get to play in the rocks.

rover67
08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Yea - it sure would be nice to get to Devil's Kitchen early enough to get to play in the rocks.

that was my goal. maybe leaving wed at noon would get us there with enough time to explore a bit.

stop by one evening and maybe we can make something.

wesintl
08-31-2011, 09:13 AM
that was my goal. maybe leaving wed at noon would get us there with enough time to explore a bit.

gotta remember it's going to be dark at 5. You'll be exploring with a flashlight :o

why are you skipping the house on fire now?

wesintl
08-31-2011, 09:23 AM
LOT's of cool old pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/usnationalarchives/3814976596/in/photostream

Inukshuk
08-31-2011, 09:33 AM
LOT's of cool old pics

nice find

Woodsman
08-31-2011, 09:34 AM
LOT's of cool old pics

Good find. Gotta "favorite" that to look at later. :thumb:

OilHammer
08-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Got to love the clothes in 1972. Pretty sure I had a pack like that in scouts.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-31-2011, 10:00 AM

stop by one evening and maybe we can make something.

Leaving at noon would work for me also.

Cool thanks Marco, will do..

Caribou Sandstorm
08-31-2011, 10:29 AM
gotta remember it's going to be dark at 5. You'll be exploring with a flashlight :o

why are you skipping the house on fire now?

Worried about rushing the group Thursday morning and I just don't have a good handle on the distance and time from Devil's Kitchen all the way through to Hite.

You have to be at House on Fire by 11:00Am that time of year, to see the full effect of the direct sunhsine on the ruin, when the sun gets to high it loses it's effect.

So not knowing the time to get from Devil's to Hite exactly and assuming it is going to take roughly 3+ hours, trying to squeeze in House on Fire by 11AM, seemed forced.

Thought maybe I was being to ambitious..

Also I had not factored in the Poison Springs Wash Road originally.. So ultimately swapping out the chance of catching the HOF Ruin feature in time for the recommendation by Kurt to check out Poison Springs/Dirty Devil River/Sunset Pass route.

rover67
08-31-2011, 10:45 AM
The devil's kitchen by flashlight is fun. So is sitting on top of the big cracks looking down on your friends who can't find you in the dark.

I just don't want to get there at 1am.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Beware of water balloons when entering the squeeze in the dark....Or local natives running across the trail...Or Caribou...

Jacket
08-31-2011, 10:59 AM

Full moon dude. No flashlight necessary, except for the parts where we're tunneling :)

Caribou Sandstorm
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Full moon dude. No flashlight necessary, except for the parts where we're tunneling :)

Not sure if anyone other then a few of us know but the Devil's Kitchen camp sites, of which there are 4 in a row, are among giant boulders the size of 2 story houses or larger and they are all linked by small and discrete foot trails..

Pretty cool stuff. Come to think of it the last time we were all camped there it was or nearly was a full moon, as well. Definitely lights the place up out there.

Wish we were going sooner then later.

bh4rnnr
08-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Not sure if anyone other then a few of us know but the Devil's Kitchen camp sites, of which there are 4 in a row, are among giant boulders the size of 2 story houses or larger and they are all linked by small and discrete foot trails..

Pretty cool stuff. Come to think of it the last time we were all camped there it was or nearly was a full moon, as well. Definitely lights the place up out there.

Wish we were going sooner then later.

Gonna make sure to not be the first one to bed this time:rolleyes:. How I didnt here you guys and all that comotion is beyond me....

1loudLX
08-31-2011, 06:39 PM

Since they dont have a 4th gen 4R to use, I propose one be designed for a 100 series ;)

I cant read this thread anymore. I just read it over the weekend but I'm already wishing the trip was starting today, not a wednesday in a couple months!

rover67
08-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Since they dont have a 4th gen 4R to use, I propose one be designed for a 100 series ;)

I cant read this thread anymore. I just read it over the weekend but I'm already wishing the trip was starting today, not a wednesday in a couple months!

we could probably figure out something for that too. Tim, bring your truck by sometime..

Woodsman
08-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Is it November yet ?

Romer
08-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Chris, is there some places to wheel where you are doing the 10M hike? Not sure I am up for a 10M hike

Caribou Sandstorm
08-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Chris, is there some places to wheel where you are doing the 10M hike? Not sure I am up for a 10M hike

Sure there is a ton of exploring to do. But essentially the road you just came in on to get to the Doll house is strenuous and you may want to stretch your legs a bit.

Last year Convert and Mountain Goat milled about the Doll House and then hiked down to the confluence vs. doing the harvest hike.

I really want to get to the Doll House by 11am but we will just have to see how we a doing as a group.

1loudLX
09-01-2011, 02:00 AM
I doubt I can hike 10mi, but I'd love to try. I dont think I've ever walked that far in one shot. Maybe in NYC on paved sidewalks....once. Worst thing I could just turn around. I'm down to give it a shot.

OilHammer
09-01-2011, 08:53 AM
The harvest trail is mostly flat. You drop down into the canyon and have to climb back out, but that part is relatively quick. As long as you have great shoes and your boxers don't chaffe, you could probably go further than you think compared to some Colorado hikes I've been on. Come to think of it, the climb back out was really the best part. I wonder if we could hike it backwards, and then turn around at the harvest scene...probably trim a good bit off that hike.

Yep, here it is. http://www.utahtrails.com/MazeOver.html

Caribou Sandstorm
09-01-2011, 11:00 AM
The harvest trail is mostly flat. You drop down into the canyon and have to climb back out, but that part is relatively quick. As long as you have great shoes and your boxers don't chaffe, you could probably go further than you think compared to some Colorado hikes I've been on. Come to think of it, the climb back out was really the best part. I wonder if we could hike it backwards, and then turn around at the harvest scene...probably trim a good bit off that hike.

Yep, here it is. http://www.utahtrails.com/MazeOver.html

Dude you are a flipping genius....That solves 2 major problems I was wrestling with time and some folks not wanting to hike the long route...

A 6 mile hike round trip is total cake..And this allows us to camp the night before at the Dirty devil river crossing which is a pretty cool area vs. potentially considering traveling futher in..

Not to mention we can get back to the Doll House camp before dark. We could hit the trail between 12-1pm and still get back by 3:30-4:00pm..

Nice work!

Perry has a great pic of the out climb from last year on facebook. Actully Perry has killer pics of last year on facebook. My favorite is the one of you and me on the shelf and the one of my rig with the Henry's in the back ground, and the dinner group pic is pretty cool!

wesintl
09-01-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm eying the great gallery in horseshoe canyon...

Caribou Sandstorm
09-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Check out this forum thread..How come our picutres don't look this good? I mean the site looks like it is in HD.

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?175434-The-Maze-and-the-Mesa-(April-2011)&highlight=maze

We need to do some homework on these pictograph locations..Where is Cedar mesa?

Romer
09-01-2011, 07:29 PM
those are nice photos

I'm in BTW

bh4rnnr
09-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Perry has a great pic of the out climb from last year on facebook. Actully Perry has killer pics of last year on facebook. My favorite is the one of you and me on the shelf and the one of my rig with the Henry's in the back ground, and the dinner group pic is pretty cool!

:o:o

Convert
09-01-2011, 09:08 PM

Ken
You won't need to hike 10 miles to see amazing scenery leave it to the youngsters. Those guys were in pretty rough shape when we feed them dinner in the dark.:beer:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Ken
You won't need to hike 10 miles to see amazing scenery leave it to the youngsters. Those guys were in pretty rough shape when we feed them dinner in the dark.:beer:

So I am guessing we are doing meals the same?? You cookin dinner and I am on for breakfast?

bh4rnnr
09-01-2011, 09:19 PM
So I am guessing we are doing meals the same?? You cookin dinner and I am on for breakfast?

No eggs for me please.

rover67
09-01-2011, 09:27 PM
What were the rules for fires? Fire pan and bring yer own sticks?

I know at Devil's kitchen we burned wood in a fire ring on the ground.

I can almost picture myself there right now... beer in hand, stars out, nice hike and day of wheeling behind us.. The rigs resting in the sand as we sit reminiscing about the day's adventures and planning for the next day's adventure all the while warming ourselves by the fire.

Romer
09-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Ken

cool

Dan sent you a PM

I bought my trailer to take it on trips like this. Wanted your thoughts.

I understand it's easier not to, but wanted first to know if it could work and then if others were willing to let me try

It is very expandable depending on how long we stay somewhere
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=19436&stc=1&d=1277004873
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=19447&stc=1&d=1277005091
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=19452&stc=1&d=1277005281
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=19457&stc=1&d=1277005361

Caribou Sandstorm
09-01-2011, 10:43 PM
What were the rules for fires? Fire pan and bring yer own sticks?

I know at Devil's kitchen we burned wood in a fire ring on the ground.

I can almost picture myself there right now... beer in hand, stars out, nice hike and day of wheeling behind us.. The rigs resting in the sand as we sit reminiscing about the day's adventures and planning for the next day's adventure all the while warming ourselves by the fire.

They only let us have a propane heated ring with ceramic coals. Mountain goat has the set up! No wood burning at the Doll House or Maze overlook, there are no fire rings at these sites.. Now we could do wood at Devil's Kitchen and Dirty Devil River Crossing.

I have been doing the same thing, after looking at Perry's pics on facebook and the JK forum pics, I feel like I have been walking around the Doll House for a few days..

coax
09-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I feel like I have been walking around the Doll House for a few days..

Did you hear the owl hooting? :cool:

rover67
09-02-2011, 10:37 AM
So what's the consensus on Romer's Trailer?

I haven't travelled the roads in the maze district, but have driven the roads around beef basin from E hill. E hill would be a challenge, but the rest would be OK maybe? I am pretty sure this will have a lot of high speed travel, how does the trailer tow at high speeds on bad roads?

Caribou Sandstorm
09-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't bring it on this run but it is hard to not want to use a new toy....I get where Romer is coming from on that front.

We will really be moving at a brisk pace and that may hinder Romer a bit. Convert's trailer is really small and he was flying on the trail.. Some of the fun was keeping up with him and bajaing a bit when it was safe to do so..:D

There are some really tight switchbacks on Flint but we will only be going up that not down like last year. Also there are some major dips along the ledge section that might be tough but are makeable.

If we do have bad weather though, we could all huddle up in Romer's canvas castle for dinner's..

Ken can you heat the inside of that expanded tent section?

Woodsman
09-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I would think if he can get the trailer over E-hill he will be alright but not sure of what's to be expected on the rest of this new route. It had better be a very solid and well-built trailer because there's a lot of distance to be covered getting to the Doll House and it's bound to be doing a bunch o' bouncing. I wouldn't do it if it were my trailer. That small trailer last year was getting the snot beat out of it bouncing up down and all around.

OilHammer
09-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Romer's trailer has independent suspension and coilovers if it's like the one that was up for sale on the expo forum. I say if he brings it, he's got to bring beer for all of us for the trip. :)

Woodsman
09-02-2011, 01:51 PM
After looking at the website, I think he has to bring it just so we can verify the manufacturer's claims.

Our Kampers are designed:

• To give you True Camping OFF Road – where you follow your heart
• To be towed behind a SUV / four wheel drive on any road and in any condition that a vehicle can safely travel

Caribou Sandstorm
09-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Yep it is pretty cool, plus it can save our apre driving hang outs if the weather is foul....

He should be good.

Convert
09-02-2011, 02:13 PM

I'm ok with cooking just need to get a meal plan so we have enough vittles. Is charcoal ok to use? I may break out the big dutch oven.

Romer
09-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I would think if he can get the trailer over E-hill he will be alright but not sure of what's to be expected on the rest of this new route. It had better be a very solid and well-built trailer because there's a lot of distance to be covered getting to the Doll House and it's bound to be doing a bunch o' bouncing. I wouldn't do it if it were my trailer. That small trailer last year was getting the snot beat out of it bouncing up down and all around.

it is built better and tows better than the AT Horizon I use to own. It tow's great

I do have a heater for the main bed section, I also have a Mr Buddy heater, if someone else had a Mr Buddy, that would likely be enough

I do want to take it wheeling somewhere, but don't want to be stupid either.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm ok with cooking just need to get a meal plan so we have enough vittles. Is charcoal ok to use? I may break out the big dutch oven.

Thanks for the reminder I am going to ask when I call the ranger in minute.

rover67
09-02-2011, 03:57 PM
it is built better and tows better than the AT Horizon I use to own. It tow's great

I do have a heater for the main bed section, I also have a Mr Buddy heater, if someone else had a Mr Buddy, that would likely be enough

I do want to take it wheeling somewhere, but don't want to be stupid either.

I think how hard you are on the trailer will be proportional to how far you press the skinny pedal down honestly... The only part I personally wonder about are the switchbacks and ledges on E Hill. I figure with enough folks we could man handle the trailer around the turns after you got the truck past it. It'd maybe mean hitching and un hitching the trailer a few times.

Romer
09-05-2011, 12:25 AM
I talked to someone who did this trail last year

The logistics of bringing a trailer and possibly having to a go side route rather than the group defeats the purpose of the trip, so no trialer

Most important, I missed the fact you have a permit for 9 vehicles. You already have 9 vehicles so attendance should be cut off. It would be imappropriate to try and increase the size on the permit or to just have me come along and see. Thats not the right thing for the club.

So you should cut off the group with those you have before I showed interest. My fault for being too late and need to look earleir in the future

You all have fun!

Caribou Sandstorm
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
I talked to someone who did this trail last year

The logistics of bringing a trailer and possibly having to a go side route rather than the group defeats the purpose of the trip, so no trialer

Most important, I missed the fact you have a permit for 9 vehicles. You already have 9 vehicles so attendance should be cut off. It would be imappropriate to try and increase the size on the permit or to just have me come along and see. Thats not the right thing for the club.

So you should cut off the group with those you have before I showed interest. My fault for being too late and need to look earleir in the future

You all have fun!

Hi Ken,

I spoke to Nichole at the ranger station at Hans Flat today.

They have a parking spot for a trail head at the Doll House and a larger parking spot at the Maze Overlook trail head, near the two Maze Overlook camp grounds.

The limit per camp site is 3 vehicles as mentioned earlier, with a limit of 9 people total per camp site.

I have mentioned that we have 10 vehicles that wish to join and would it be posspile to park at the additional trail head parking via a back country permit for the trail head parking. Nichole doesn't think it is going to be a problem but wants to double check with her supervisor.

The ranger supervisor at Hans Flat returns on Wednesday night and Nichole will discuss our request then and have an answer Thursday.

So we will know Thursday, if our vehicle capacity will be allowed to be 10, potentially they may not allow more then 6 at the Maze. Which I think then we might want to discuss skipping the Maze overlook camp ground this year in favor a larger group. We could head out after the Doll House to camp at the Dirty Devil river Crossing...

If you want to hold off on jumping out just yet, I will have a definitive answer on Thursday.

jonharis
09-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Hopefully, I'll be "approved" next year. I look forward to seeing pics on this one.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Hopefully, I'll be "approved" next year. I look forward to seeing pics on this one.

Sorry John, really not trying to leave anyone out.. Coax also indicated before you that he wanted to go..

I wanted to make sure the folks that came last year had first dibs.. Then we wanted to make sure club members had a chance to get in, if they wanted to be in.

You said you wanted in if Loud was out but Ken wanted in, as well. As our past club commander and an all around great guy that has volunteered countless hours to our club, I wanted to make it work for Ken.

As it stands I am crossing my fingers the ranger gives us the thumbs up, for one additional vehicle at the Doll House and 4 additional at the Maze Overlook.

OilHammer
09-06-2011, 09:55 PM
I suppose it's inevitable that when you have a rare trailride that actually has limited space, that someone, or many, will feel left out.
I know Chris already said it, but drivers for this run did not need to be "approved" in any way. Maybe we are making too much of it, but it really is just a capacity issue.

Even fully sanctioned runs have max numbers to limit trail impact, and maintain a good experience for all who attend. Having been to this area before, I can tell you the campsites, particularly dollhouse, flat out just don't have room for more than the permitted spots. As it is with 6, or even 9 trucks, we HAVE to split up. There is very limited turn around space in dollhouse 1 and 2, and more than a couple trucks creates a traffic jam that's difficult to deal with. I have not seen dollhouse 3, and it will be interesting to see what the meal dynamics are with shuffling between the three.

I also want to reiterate that this is not a leisure Sunday drive....the group makes a very fast pace in order to make the destination. The more drivers, the slower the group moves...just the nature of it. That's the other reason for the "cap".

You know, I don't see why there couldn't be TWO runs in a year to this area so that more could enjoy it. If there's enough interest, why not go the weekend before with another 6 rigs? Just a thought....

Romer
09-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I
You know, I don't see why there couldn't be TWO runs in a year to this area so that more could enjoy it. If there's enough interest, why not go the weekend before with another 6 rigs? Just a thought....

Now thats a thought!

I apprectiate Chris wanting me to come along and I will hold off jumping out, but concerned that the door is being opened for more to go based on our permit and how tight I have been told it is there.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Now thats a thought!

I apprectiate Chris wanting me to come along and I will hold off jumping out, but concerned that the door is being opened for more to go based on our permit and how tight I have been told it is there.

Cool glad you are still in Ken.

Inukshuk
09-07-2011, 12:27 AM
Now that's a thought!

I appreciate Chris wanting me to come along and I will hold off jumping out, but concerned that the door is being opened for more to go based on our permit and how tight I have been told it is there.

Ken,
I was at least one of the people Chris consulted. I have been to the dollhouse twice and as you know Atlanta has the best..... oops, wrong dollhouse :thumb: ... but anyway. These hiking trail lots work fine.

jonharis
09-07-2011, 11:20 AM

X2 :thumb:

BTW. I totally agree with and understand the capacity issue / club members before guests etc. Wasn't trying to start something.

Romer
09-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Jon - don't think anyone feels you are starting anything. All are welcome on club runs. The permit tends to drive this one.

You are always welcome to wheel with me!

1loudLX
09-07-2011, 12:38 PM
X2 :thumb:

BTW. I totally agree with and understand the capacity issue / club members before guests etc. Wasn't trying to start something.

I need you to stay back in Junction incase I need another parts run, Morgan wont be with me this time :mad:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-08-2011, 11:17 AM
I just got off the phone with Nichole at the Hans Flat ranger station. We are approved for 1 additional parking at the Spanish Bottom trail head (Doll House) and 4 addtitional at the Maze Overlook trail head parking area. :thumb:

So our route and group of 10 are confirmed! Romer, head to the cigar store!

This is huge for us and the club in many ways. I know it goes without saying for this group but we need to be super careful while on the trails in the park and at the camp sites, so that we leave zero impact.

Nichole thinks we are optimistic in trying to make it into the Doll House from Devil's in one day. We will need to leave early from Devil's Kitchen, no big breakfast on Thursday, probably burrito's in the engine will be the call, so that we can make it as close to sun down as possible.

Really if we need to use our lights to get in, that will not be so terrible and will make for some great photos.. We will also have a full moon on our side.

Spanish bottom trail head sign on left. Doll House camping just behind FJC.
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-Utah-Nov-2010/DSCF0578/1093344542_FrVyQ-L.jpg

Maze Overlook trail head parking just to the right and out of the picture.
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-Utah-Nov-2010/IMG00276/1094057786_Ur6Lu-L.jpg

Route:
Wednesday..Devil's Kitchen

Thursday..Early departure from Devil's kitchen to Doll House via Bobby's hole, Beef Basin, Elk Ridge Road to Wooden shoe to Hite for gas and then on to Doll House via rd 633..

This is a cross road we will be encountering late afternoon on Thursday..
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-Utah-Nov-2010/i-hTTwxbb/0/XL/DSCF0617e-Copy-M.jpg

Friday..Hike about to Harvest scene short route or long route depending on who wants to go..

Satruday...pack up and head to Maze Overlook

Sunday...Early departure from Maze Overlook through Maze to Poison Springs Wash Road, cross Dirty Devil River to 95 then up to HanksVille then 24 to Green River to Denver. Expect to be home late Sunday night, probably before 10PM.

Dirty Devil River Crossing via Poison Springs Wash Rd...Potential good camp site if we find it too far to travel from Devil's to Doll House
These are borrowed photos from Box Rocket's post in the Expedition Portal forum http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/48929-Utah-Cruiser-Expedition-2010

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/boxrocket/UCE%202010/_MG_9600.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/boxrocket/UCE%202010/_MG_9602.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/boxrocket/UCE%202010/_MG_9584.jpg

cattle pond crossing..
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/boxrocket/UCE%202010/_MG_9472.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/boxrocket/UCE%202010/_MG_9539.jpg

Poison Springs Wash Rd.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/boxrocket/UCE%202010/_MG_9621.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/boxrocket/UCE%202010/_MG_9631.jpg

I am ready to go today!

wesintl
09-08-2011, 11:25 AM
ah that poor birka girl...

OilHammer
09-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Caribou: Oh, you can't think I'd do this on purpose? Look... I tied her to the rear bumper while I was packing the car. It was very confusing. I must have forgot. I'm very sorry, I feel terrible.
Motorcycle Cop: How do you think that little burka feels?
Caribou: Look, I told you I was sorry. It really was an accident.
Motorcycle Cop: Well, I guess I can buy that, sir. But it is a shame. I had a sack like this when I was a kid.
[both Caribou and the motorcycle cop sorrowfully look at the empty road behind them]
Motorcycle Cop: Poor little gal. Probably kept up with you for a mile or so.
[tearing up]
Motorcycle Cop: Tough little bitch...

Mostly from "Vacation"...with a little creative tweaking. Chris drug the burka for a least a mile....ehehe

Romer
09-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Cool:thumb:

rover67
09-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Sweet, nice work man.

bh4rnnr
09-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Just an FYI, that first pic you posted from Toleman, aint the Dirty Devil. Looks to be heading towards Hans Flat via 95...

Daniel crossing the Dirty.

Cody at the exit.

The Dirty Devil is well named. I recomend checking the water flow before the trip. At one point before our trip in 08, the Dirty was flowing at 10,000CSF.

Inukshuk
09-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Yeah, nice shots of Kurt and Paul somewhere in America but not the Dirty Devil at Poison Springs.

And, sorry again, but it took us 7 hours to get from HWY 95 to the Dollhouse on that route and its anther 6+ hours to Denver from Hanksville, soooo,

That's all for now. Cramming to get outta here to MT!

Inukshuk
09-08-2011, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=bh4rnnr;191358]Daniel crossing the Dirty.

:thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Yep the crossing was a cattle pond crossing..I dropped in a few pics of the Dirty Devil crossing and fixed the URL to their trip.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Yeah, nice shots of Kurt and Paul somewhere in America but not the Dirty Devil at Poison Springs.

And, sorry again, but it took us 7 hours to get from HWY 95 to the Dollhouse on that route and its anther 6+ hours to Denver from Hanksville, soooo,

That's all for now. Cramming to get outta here to MT!

Kurt said you and Perry were slower...:lmao: He said it was 4 hours from Hanksville to the Doll House via Poison Springs.

wesintl
09-12-2011, 07:27 PM
I got the receipt for one permit in the mail

Caribou Sandstorm
09-12-2011, 07:31 PM
I got the receipt for one permit in the mail

I got my receipt on Friday.

Matt?

Jacket
09-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Yup. Receipt #3.:camping:

1loudLX
09-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Triple receipts, what does it meannnn

wesintl
09-12-2011, 10:25 PM
It means I (you) better not run out of beer in the maze :eek:

1loudLX
09-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Any requests? I usually have at least half of my fridge filled with beer. ;)

nakman
09-12-2011, 11:59 PM

I've always been a beast light kind of guy..

http://www.smalldoggiesmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Beast-Light.jpg

Caribou Sandstorm
09-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Just incase some of you are wondering.

We only néed the 3 reservations we have secured for the entire group.

When you arrive at the visitors center at Needles, you pay the entrance fee for your vehicle, I forget exactly how much, $10.00 or $15.00..

The visitors center closes at 4:30pm.. We can coordinate with those arriving past that time with those arriving sooner..Also I was going to call and see if they will take a credit card over the phone, as well.

No hurry on this, the reservations were the big thing to secure and we have those.

OilHammer
09-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Just no bottles. :) :beer:
Bottles may be fine in a plush ride like yours, but I arrived last year with a fridge full of micro beer OUTSIDE the bottles. :eek:
Luckily, some nice fellow campers provided me with beer to cover the weekend. I guess cans have a certain amount of expansion capability that the bottles just don't have....combine that with some high speed whoopdedoos in a 40, and you have a mess!

Woodsman
09-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Bottles may be fine in a plush ride like yours, but I arrived last year with a fridge full of micro beer OUTSIDE the bottles. :eek:
Luckily, some nice fellow campers provided me with beer to cover the weekend. I guess cans have a certain amount of expansion capability that the bottles just don't have....combine that with some high speed whoopdedoos in a 40, and you have a mess!

Yes, that was a real shame. We should have had a memorial for all of those "fallen soldiers". That's what we call empty beer bottles in these parts. :cheers:

Jacket
09-13-2011, 10:28 AM

I've had that happen to me before as well. It's usually after you've depleted some of the supplies and the bottles have a chance to move around a bit more. But these days, with cans packing smaller and lighter, and a vast improvement in the beer choices in aluminum cans, I've pretty much gone that route.

wesintl
09-13-2011, 10:36 AM
This is the kind of can he should bring ;)

http://images.wikia.com/beer/images/e/e2/Pony_keg.jpg

1loudLX
09-13-2011, 02:17 PM
This is the kind of can he should bring ;)

http://images.wikia.com/beer/images/e/e2/Pony_keg.jpg

The way I drive, I'd be pouring foam even if we stayed on pavement the whole time.

Cans are the ONLY way to go. I've brought glass with me, but it just slowed me down.

nakman
09-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I've brought glass with me, but it just slowed me down.

Uh huh.. I thought this was you
AIzxXcn-QwI

1loudLX
09-13-2011, 03:57 PM
THAT'S IT! I'm only bringing KEYSTONE ICE!

Caribou Sandstorm
09-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Gotta love the Oakland A's!!!! I spent my youth there husseling soda as a vendor after highschool......

"get your ice cold Pepsi"

"Yo, Pepsi, Two"

"3 bucks"

You only got peanuts if you knew someone or were an old timer..

Ahh.. that brings back memories..

Caribou Sandstorm
09-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Thinking we should consider a pre Maze get together to discuss the route, potential options should roads be bad via weather, etc..

Cover permit questions, parking logistics, Park rules (don't feed or shoot the Caribou)..

Also go over what we all need to bring, looks like we have figured out the most important item on the list...:beer:

I am good next week or the week after. I am out of town the first week of October, after that I am good.

There is a place on old South Pearl, called Kaos pizzeria, it is an old house with several rooms and a patio, wood fired pizza oven.. 1439 South Pearl St. It is not loud and I could reserve a room.. If the weather is nice there is also a good sized patio. Also not expensive.

This is right off of I25 at Downing St. exit. So maybe middle of the way for North and Southers?

OilHammer
09-14-2011, 11:30 AM
They have happy hour $2 beers from Odells too. :)

Jacket
09-14-2011, 12:38 PM
That's my old stomping grounds. That location has had a lot of different identities - the gelatto shop was my favorite....

I could take a drive down memory lane....

1loudLX
09-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I'll be gone most of October, so, in the next three weeks would be nice. Wood fired pizza, one of my faves!

Caribou Sandstorm
09-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Is there a day next week that might work for every one?

1loudLX
09-14-2011, 07:21 PM
any.

Convert
09-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Any day except Monday or Friday

MountainGoat
09-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Monday and Thursday are out for me. Wednesday is best.

OilHammer
09-15-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm good Tuesday most likely. Everything is kind of up in the air right now though, so I could be called in for kid assist.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Ok Tuesday or Wednesday seem to be looking good....

What about you all?
Marco
Tim
Matt
Wes
Ken, are you in town next week?
BVB

James I will give you a call pre and post meeting

54 days and counting... it will go fast.

wesintl
09-15-2011, 10:54 AM
you just want to get together and swill beer. ain't nothin that can't be figured out in da forum. the route is the route rain or shine. Faster you drive the better campsite you get. dan has the chili, I got the burgers and brats, need fixin's, breakfast burritos, and uh. that's it :D

rover67
09-15-2011, 11:38 AM
you just want to get together and swill beer. ain't nothin that can't be figured out in da forum. the route is the route rain or shine. Faster you drive the better campsite you get. dan has the chili, I got the burgers and brats, need fixin's, breakfast burritos, and uh. that's it :D

agreed, but wed works for me too.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Wednesday it is! For those that can make it, lets shoot for 7pm at Kaos.

Yes Beer, Pizza and getting excited about the trip is the idea.

The route is set but....there are some things I want to go over just so folks understand we have a plan for issues we might encounter, snow, road washed out, man we have been driving for 10 hours-Davis what kind of route do you have us on, etc...

I would like to make sure everyone has a good debriefing in advance.

Jacket
09-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I could probably do Wednesday

Romer
09-19-2011, 06:35 PM
i'm in town, not sure about getting together. Besides, I am just following where ever you guys drive

I think I'm ready

Tim sure makes a nice rack :D

Convert
09-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Ok Tuesday or Wednesday seem to be looking good....

What about you all?
Marco
Tim
Matt
Wes
Ken, are you in town next week?
BVB

James I will give you a call pre and post meeting

54 days and counting... it will go fast.

BVB is out

Convert
09-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Sorry missed this
Like how you think and I can bring the chili:beer:
Wimps beware

Caribou Sandstorm
09-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Wow Ken your rig looks awesome. Nice RTT..

Now you have me thinking about putting mine on also..

Sorry your out BVB..

Ok so I talked to Kurt tonight and our route is locked. Kurt seems to think we might even make it to the Doll House before dark on Thursday, so that is perfect.

I also mentioned our route out and he thinks that will be a pretty cool finish via Poison Springs Wash.

We can go over maps, food, etc...Wednesday night at Kaos Pizzeria at 7pm.

OilHammer
09-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Sorry missed this
Like how you think and I can bring the chili:beer:
Wimps beware

No kidding, my ass is burning just thinking about your chili. I'll pass on it this time I think....or at least cut it with something less flammable.

wesintl
09-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Wednesday it is! For those that can make it, lets shoot for 7pm at Kaos.

Is this tonight :confused:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
That is the plan...

I think Convert, Mtn goat, Marco, Ralston, Loud..rsvpd. I am in you?

Barry is working on it.

The plan is to explain the route, discuss whatever...

MountainGoat
09-21-2011, 12:50 PM
The :Princess: had a scheduling conflict so I have to take the daughter to 4H tonight. I'm out for the meeting. No :beer: for me. :(

wesintl
09-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I am in you?

yes.. i'll get there a few min early to discuss a few things wit you before hand.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-21-2011, 01:05 PM
The :Princess: had a scheduling conflict so I have to take the daughter to 4H tonight. I'm out for the meeting. No :beer: for me. :(

ok, no worries. We might want to figure out an additional fire pit like yours. With as many as we have we will need 2, i think. I have a mini-smoky Joe and thought it might be a good one to try, as it sits higher up off the ground and the base would act as a heater also.

4H is awsome btw!

Caribou Sandstorm
09-21-2011, 01:38 PM
yes.. i'll get there a few min early to discuss a few things wit you before hand.

swing by the pad and help me hoist my bumper on my runner..sending you a text for the address.

Woodsman
09-21-2011, 01:41 PM
ok, no worries. We might want to figure out an additional fire pit like yours. With as many as we have we will need 2, i think. I have a mini-smoky Joe and thought it might be a good one to try, as it sits higher up off the ground and the base would act as a heater also.

4H is awsome btw!

I suppose you'll want me to bring a 33lb tank from my forklift to run those. :D

Jacket
09-21-2011, 05:23 PM

Hey now - no secrets among the brethren.

1loudLX
09-22-2011, 06:07 AM
That pizza was pretty good!

OilHammer
09-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Sorry I had to run "early". Can someone tell me who I owe for pizza and how much?

Marco bud, I feel horrible about that. These eye glasses have crappy depth perception when you aren't looking at something dead on. Your chica probably said you smelled like a brewery when you got home.

rover67
09-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Ha! no problem!

I finally got all the beer smell off this morning!

Caribou Sandstorm
09-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Small group but good meeting.

Blair tell your Dad thanks for the round.

I had a bill for 65.00 after tip so if anyone wants to float me a few bucks that would be ok with me..

Will post up more info from the meeting but right now finishing up my bumper install! Thanks Paul!

wesintl
09-22-2011, 02:55 PM
you were talking about medical machines at one point.. should be able to write it off :D

1loudLX
09-22-2011, 02:58 PM
I heard that too

Romer
09-22-2011, 03:36 PM
If I would have known Chris was buying I would have come :D

wesintl
09-22-2011, 04:44 PM
anyone interested in leaving tues am and hitting white rim before meeting at devils kitchen wed night let me know. Circumnavigation of canyonlands :D

Caribou Sandstorm
09-22-2011, 08:39 PM
If I would have known Chris was buying I would have come :D

Well, you will get your chance, we are having another Maze meeting at about 1-2 weeks out.

bh4rnnr
09-23-2011, 08:00 AM
anyone interested in leaving tues am and hitting white rim before meeting at devils kitchen wed night let me know. Circumnavigation of canyonlands :D

Hmmmmm.................

Woodsman
09-23-2011, 10:01 AM

Hmmmmm.................

I would like to second that "Hmmmmm". :headbang:

Will have to see how productive I am the next few weeks.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I would like to second that "Hmmmmm". :headbang:

Will have to see how productive I am the next few weeks.

That's right you wanted more trail time this year anyway...You will be there...

wesintl
09-23-2011, 06:18 PM
start your walking regiment now so you can make Davis' 12 mi hike :D

1loudLX
09-23-2011, 11:39 PM
NOW IT'S 12 MILES? WHAT THE HELL! I'll stay at camp and drink everyones beer.

Woodsman
09-24-2011, 06:29 AM
NOW IT'S 12 MILES? WHAT THE HELL! I'll stay at camp and drink everyones beer.

It varied in distance depending on which guidebook was being referenced. We probably started a little later than we could/should have so we had to push a little. The hike itself isn't bad, IMO, until the climb back out but I'm sure I had it the worst since I am a low lander.

Of course, since Chris introduced me to this handmade gourmet pizza I've put on about 50 pounds :eek: so this will be interesting.

:cheers:

PS - just kidding about the 50 lbs but gotta take every opportunity to give Chris some chit.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-24-2011, 04:35 PM
It varied in distance depending on which guidebook was being referenced. We probably started a little later than we could/should have so we had to push a little. The hike itself isn't bad, IMO, until the climb back out but I'm sure I had it the worst since I am a low lander.

Of course, since Chris introduced me to this handmade gourmet pizza I've put on about 50 pounds :eek: so this will be interesting.

:cheers:

PS - just kidding about the 50 lbs but gotta take every opportunity to give Chris some chit.

:thumb::cheers:

Moody
09-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Sounds killer. I last spent some time out there fall of 99. I have been itching to get back. You should have the place to yourselves in Nov.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/32936-Utah-The-Maze-District-A-Family-Affair?highlight=maze+family

^This thread has some pics in it that may help whet your appetite.

OilHammer
09-26-2011, 08:24 AM
I may be on target for that Tuesday departure. The wife is booking her ticket to visit home now, and the other thing holding me up went down Friday. Pretty much all clear to do whatever the hell I want at this point. Of course, the rebuilt alternator blew up on the ride to CoS Friday, so I need to get cracking on the replacement asap.

Romer
10-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Some questions on Logistics

Not sure of the distance being driven, do I need additional fuel cans?

In changing locations, do we stop at a gas station for gas, food and water in the middle of the trip?

Thanks

wesintl
10-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I suggest 1 Just in case. 2 if you're a nervous nelly. Depends on how many mpg's you get and how big the tank is. I bet Barry will have none. maybe he and I will split a can of diesel :D

We will stop in Hite for fuel. They have 24hr pay by cc fuel. There is a small convenience store that is seasonal. We should probably call to see if they are open at that time of year. Otherwise, It's best to carry everything you need.

With the tues white rim we stop in moab but that is only one night. from Devils kitchen on we should be self sufficient.

A couple of tshirts, case of mtn do and some hot dogs you should be fine :)

Caribou Sandstorm
10-03-2011, 01:31 PM
We are going to have a big breakfast Friday and Saturday. I cook that, I make pancakes, sausage and eggs... If you need something other than that, you gotta bring it and cook it on your own...Perry...:D

Breakfast on Thursday, Sunday are on your own and we will be leaving camp early these days, so make sure to be ready to roll by 8am. Burritos in an engine cooker are key..

Lunches are on your own.

We will do our big dinner Friday night and Saturday night is what ever we have left over. Most of us bring something for Thursday, brats/burgers...

With the size of the group, maybe we can have a few folks bring chili for Friday?

You also have to bring a pet toilet, no digging in the park.

You will want to have a full tank when you leave Moab and a full extra 5 gallons. Hite has fuel as Wes mentioned. I will call to see what is open.

Last year I brought 5 gallons of water and had plenty left over.

Convert
10-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Chris
Can we use charcoal ??? Thinking about using the dutch oven for dinners.

Jacket
10-03-2011, 08:46 PM
I needed a reason to make a jerry can holder....

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/jerry_holder.JPG

Charcoal should be Ok, although they want you to contain it in a metal pan.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Chris
Can we use charcoal ??? Thinking about using the dutch oven for dinners.

I will ask. Funny you posted that up, I was just reading in an Overland Journal article about cooking in a dutch oven.

I think we can do charcoal but we would have to pack out the ashes.

wesintl
10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
charcoal is ok. must use firepan and packout ashes.

I can bring my dutch oven too if you have plans...

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/backcountryregulations.htm
3. All wood fires are prohibited. Charcoal fires are allowed at designated vehicle campsites. Visitors must use a fire pan and remove unburned charcoal and fire debris.

Convert
10-04-2011, 07:57 PM
charcoal is ok. must use firepan and packout ashes.

I can bring my dutch oven too if you have plans...

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/backcountryregulations.htm
3. All wood fires are prohibited. Charcoal fires are allowed at designated vehicle campsites. Visitors must use a fire pan and remove unburned charcoal and fire debris.

Thinking about doing some BBQ ribs, fairly simple and quick. Anyone have any creative ideas for a simple fire pan ??

Inukshuk
10-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Thinking about doing some BBQ ribs, fairly simple and quick. Anyone have any creative ideas for a simple fire pan ??

Tuffy sells a great one.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-04-2011, 11:06 PM
I have a mini smokey Joe BBQ, I was thinking of bringing.

wesintl
10-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I added murphy A,B,C to our permits. :D

OilHammer
10-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I have a pretty sweet dutch oven grill setup, but no pan. Seems like you could just use a cookie sheet and have it work just fine.
My grill is all wrought iron and basically consists of four "posts, two cross bars, and a bunch of movable slats so that the legs of the cast iron pots can drop through. I don't own the dutch oven itself, but have been wanting to get one....but I don't mind bringing the grill part.

Jacket
10-05-2011, 12:28 PM
I've got 2 dutch ovens, so I could bring one or both.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I've got 2 dutch ovens, so I could bring one or both.

Apple cobbler?

Convert
10-05-2011, 11:02 PM
So looks like we have some interest in dutch oven cooking, I was thinking we could do a big BBQ Rib dinner Dutch Oven and dessert thing at the Maze overlook. I have 2 ovens 4qt and 6qt I think, the big one is about 16 inches in diameter.
The ovens could be used any or all nights just need to plan accordingly and have enough charcoal, water, time and ingredients.

Have you ever had popcorn from a dutch oven around an artificial fire ??:beer::beer:

powderpig
10-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Sounds like you guys will be in the kitchen more than on the trail.

rover67
10-06-2011, 09:56 AM
yeah honestly I think I am going to stick to stuff like hot dogs and burritos. Saves space and time for beer.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-06-2011, 10:03 AM
So looks like we have some interest in dutch oven cooking, I was thinking we could do a big BBQ Rib dinner Dutch Oven and dessert thing at the Maze overlook. I have 2 ovens 4qt and 6qt I think, the big one is about 16 inches in diameter.
The ovens could be used any or all nights just need to plan accordingly and have enough charcoal, water, time and ingredients.

Have you ever had popcorn from a dutch oven around an artificial fire ??:beer::beer:

Sounds great! Sounds like ketttle corn...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a random :robbie:, lurking about in the maze, doing his own thing and thinking the chow we are cooking up looks mighty tasty...

Caribou Sandstorm
10-09-2011, 10:00 AM
4 weeks out!

How many are in or maybe's for the added Tuesday run of the White Rim?

We have 3 camp sites, so same drill, 3 rigs per site but we could probably park any additional rigs just on the road in front of one of the camps..

So far I believe those in for Tuesday are:

Caribou
Wes
Romer
Mtn Goat

There is a ranger station on the Rim side so we can check in there and be set for the trip.

If you can't make the Tuesday Rim loop and will be meeting us at Devil's Kitchen on Wednesday...You need to be at the Needles ranger station by 4:30pm or call in your vehicle info and get your entrance fee done over the phone, I think it is $15.00 per vehicle. I also think you can do it in advance.

Wes and I were thinking of one more meeting prior, like a week out but that is week we would be at the club meeting. So I was thinking we colud grab a bite before the meeting at the Mexican place or just catch up in the parking lot before and after the meeting.

wesintl
10-09-2011, 10:11 AM
aBaYVo89mmY

Woodsman
10-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Chris/Wes, it sounds like I am in for the White Rim too. Been wanting to check it out for years and it definitely helps make the long trip worth it.

A friend of mine from high school/college is coming along (Ted) and says he is OK with vacation time to hit the Rim and the Maze.

1loudLX
10-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm in as long as I get all packed up monday.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Chris/Wes, it sounds like I am in for the White Rim too. Been wanting to check it out for years and it definitely helps make the long trip worth it.

A friend of mine from high school/college is coming along (Ted) and says he is OK with vacation time to hit the Rim and the Maze.

Cool Tell Tedd I said hi and welcome!

I'm in as long as I get all packed up monday.

Sounds good.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Bump..

4 weeks out!

How many are in or maybe's for the added Tuesday run of the White Rim?

We have 3 camp sites, so same drill, 3 rigs per site but we could probably park any additional rigs just on the road in front of one of the camps..

So far I believe those in for Tuesday are:

Caribou
Wes
Romer
Mtn Goat

There is a ranger station on the Rim side so we can check in there and be set for the trip.

If you can't make the Tuesday Rim loop and will be meeting us at Devil's Kitchen on Wednesday...You need to be at the Needles ranger station by 4:30pm or call in your vehicle info and get your entrance fee done over the phone, I think it is $15.00 per vehicle. I also think you can do it in advance.

Wes and I were thinking of one more meeting prior, like a week out but that is week we would be at the club meeting. So I was thinking we colud grab a bite before the meeting at the Mexican place or just catch up in the parking lot before and after the meeting.

1loudLX
10-12-2011, 12:46 AM
It's a sticky'd thread, how and/or why does one "bump" a sticky'd thread?

rover67
10-12-2011, 07:56 AM

Maybe because then it shows up when somebody hits the new posts button?

Woodsman
10-12-2011, 08:35 AM

What can Chris say ? He likes to be BOLD. :lmao:

Caribou Sandstorm
10-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Maybe because then it shows up when somebody hits the new posts button?

Bingo! I get it, bump usually means bring it to the top, a sticky is already at the top.

I just wanted to make sure guys saw the important info about getting your vehicle/park pass, understanding that the visitor center at Needles and ranger stations close at 4:30pm.

It will not look good, if the ranger swings by to see us and someone does not have their park pass because the ranger station was closed.

Jacket
10-12-2011, 09:38 AM
So is it presently me, Marco and Convert that will be coming in on Wednesday, and everyone else is in the Island in the Sky crew?

I spoke to someone out there this morning, and it sounds like you can pay the park entrance fee after hours using an envelope with exact change. The issuing the permit still sounds like a bit of a hassle since they always do them in person, although the guy indicated it may be possible to do it by mail if I can provide all the vehicle info to the Needles Ranger district ahead of time. I will call Needles directly to clarify and see what we can work out.

He also eluded to the fact that our group raises a "red flag" with all the rangers around C-lands since our route distance is pretty aggressive in the time we will be there. If we run into any park rangers, we may encounter negativity (his words) and should be careful of where and how we are driving. Not that anyone in the group needs this reminder, but it's something to be aware of. Not many other folks will be out there in November, so we may get a lot more attention from the rangers in all 3 districts. No matter how much we try to convince the NP folks of our responsible intentions, on paper we just look like a bunch of guys in trucks that'll be flying through their park.

wesintl
10-12-2011, 10:51 AM
C A N N O N B A L L !

Jacket
10-12-2011, 02:25 PM
So is it presently me, Marco and Convert that will be coming in on Wednesday, and everyone else is in the Island in the Sky crew?

I spoke to someone out there this morning, and it sounds like you can pay the park entrance fee after hours using an envelope with exact change. The issuing the permit still sounds like a bit of a hassle since they always do them in person, although the guy indicated it may be possible to do it by mail if I can provide all the vehicle info to the Needles Ranger district ahead of time. I will call Needles directly to clarify and see what we can work out.

He also eluded to the fact that our group raises a "red flag" with all the rangers around C-lands since our route distance is pretty aggressive in the time we will be there. If we run into any park rangers, we may encounter negativity (his words) and should be careful of where and how we are driving. Not that anyone in the group needs this reminder, but it's something to be aware of. Not many other folks will be out there in November, so we may get a lot more attention from the rangers in all 3 districts. No matter how much we try to convince the NP folks of our responsible intentions, on paper we just look like a bunch of guys in trucks that'll be flying through their park.

It's funny how you get different answers depending on who you talk to out there.....

Spoke to another guy and he says no problem mailing out permits for those folks that can't be there during office hours (by 4:30pm). I just need to provide vehicle make, model, color, and license plate, and then they can put the permits in the mail.

He then proceeded to give me a lecture about going up and over E-hill at night. Scary, dangerous, not advised, etc. All true I suppose, even though I drive a Land Cruiser :)

I have 3 slots under my reservation, so if you are definitely not going out early (Monday or Tuesday), then let me know and I can collect some car info.

I might be interested in leaving early on Wednesday rather than waiting until Noon-time just to avoid all this extra coordination......

wesintl
10-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Best thing to do is NOT call the reservation office for your vehicle permit. Call the ranger station at either island in the sky or Needles and tell them you'll be there later than when they open.

I think anything with Davis' name on it out there gets red flagged. The caribou are runnin scared...

Jacket
10-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I did that, but the ranger station indicated that only Reservations can mail the permits. The RS did suggest that no matter what happens, if you are going to arrive late then you should call the ranger station the day of travel to confirm that you are coming so that they don't give away your spot. It's not likely a problem in November versus peak season, but still probably a good idea.

wesintl
10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
ah.. interesting. thx

1loudLX
10-12-2011, 06:57 PM
SO, someone, please, tell me what I need to tell one of you so we're set. I'm new to this whole permit/reservation stuff. Just check in at the ranger station on Tuesday and pay whatever I need to and get my permit and I'm set?

wesintl
10-12-2011, 07:11 PM
yeah.. if you're leaving tues am with wr crew we will stop at the island in the sky gate and get a park entry pass (each vehicle) and confirm/verify our camping permits. You don't need to do anything besides not run out of beer. ;)

The other permits that davis, ralston and I bought are camping permits which cover the whole group.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-12-2011, 10:30 PM
All good. I should have clarified a bit more.

Matt, Wes and I are a bit different since we secured the permits, we either have to arrive an hour before closing 3:30pm or call to tell them we ar running late or ask for ours to be mailed in advance.

If going with the last option, you gotta call the reservation office and it is a crap shoot, Bob was pretty nice, Jim a bit more edgey....

For the rest of the gang, even though you are part of our 3 permits, I think you still have to pay to enter the park..I did not realize you could drop your payment in a box afterhours..So that covers that. It is only like 15.00 per car to enter and that covers you for 7 days..

Our Permits were 30.00 each for Me, Matt and Wes and I think that covers our vehicle, so not so spendy...

So we are Red Flagged...Not for the size of our group but for the optimistic amount of terra firma we are covering...nice...Guess that means no hitting the crypto burms on the hair pins going aout 60 mph......:eek:

Just kidding of course...

1loudLX
10-12-2011, 10:31 PM
I'll be going to Tipsys the Sunday before the trip when I get back from Maui. I put a bed platform in place of my 2nd row, so I should have enough room for beer storage :p:

OilHammer
10-13-2011, 09:14 AM
If rangers ask about how much ground is being covered per hour, just say we enjoy driving at all times of the day, b/c the no campfire thing kind of makes for an early evening at camp anyway. Might as well drive longer in the day.... Also tell them that our plan may change depending on conditions and drivers, that safety is paramount. That's honestly the truth. Snow, mud, ruts, all that will slow us down a whole lot and we may have to go to plan B anyway.

bh4rnnr
10-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Maze crew,

Sadly, i'm gonna have to bail out this time around:(. Being so close to the Outlaws trip and me needing to focus in on saving to get some work/tires done to the truck, just don't think I can swing the time for the trip.

Sounding like another awesome trip and look forward to the pics.

rover67
10-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Perry, bummer man...

I am still planning on leaving Wed at the crack of noon so I'll be pulling through moab at sunset. I am going to try to get some kind of a half day in and work from the road the rest of the way. All I gotta figure out is what T Shirt I'm gonna wear since the truck is coming along nicely.

Sounds like it's gonna be Me Convert and Matt Driving so we'll have a nice contingency.

Romer
10-15-2011, 01:28 PM
I want to download the right mpas. I know where E Hill, Canyopn lands, the maze trail, white canyon are. When I do a search on Devils kitchen, I come up with a spot No of I-70 about wher I-15 is. Is that correct?

Woodsman
10-15-2011, 01:50 PM
I want to download the right mpas. I know where E Hill, Canyopn lands, the maze trail, white canyon are. When I do a search on Devils kitchen, I come up with a spot No of I-70 about wher I-15 is. Is that correct?

Devils Kitchen is inside Canyonlands. You will find it west of the southern entrance, Newpaper Rock and Elephant Hill. It is south-southeast of the Confluence.

http://www.nps.gov/carto/PDF/CANYmap1.pdf
http://www.utahtrails.com/DevilsPocket.html
http://www.utahtrails.com/ElephantHill.html

Caribou Sandstorm
10-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Devil's Kitchen is about 15-20 minutes from the features at the beginning of the Elephant Hill trail. Maybe longer can't remember exactly..

rover67
10-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah If you have E-Hill then you'll have Devil's Kitchen.

Look here, it is one of the camp grounds along E-Hill:

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/NeedlesTrailsandRoads.pdf

nakman
10-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Yeah, Devil's Kitchen is right after the "Squeezeplay" obstacle- most likely where you stopped on an E-Hill run to hit the portapot..

Lqt_EwTDEdE

You take a left and there it is. In fact when we camped there last time, we ended up walking back to the Squeeze just to check it out.. wasn't even a full :beer: to get there. In fact we later discovered a bunch of caves & cracks that allowed us to essentially slither all the way back to camp from there. :)

Caribou Sandstorm
10-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Plus full moon! Is it time yet?

bh4rnnr
10-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah, Devil's Kitchen is right after the "Squeezeplay" obstacle- most likely where you stopped on an E-Hill run to hit the portapot..

Lqt_EwTDEdE

You take a left and there it is. In fact when we camped there last time, we ended up walking back to the Squeeze just to check it out.. wasn't even a full :beer: to get there. In fact we later discovered a bunch of caves & cracks that allowed us to essentially slither all the way back to camp from there. :)

Why did I go to bed so early?

Every once in a while I got woken up with a: "Hey, there's Perry's truck."

1loudLX
10-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Chris, dont forget to download those maps!

Jacket
10-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Why did I go to bed so early?

Every once in a while I got woken up with a: "Hey, there's Perry's truck."

LOL! You're lucky we were having too much fun on the rocks or your truck may have ended up on its side. :)

Caribou Sandstorm
10-18-2011, 07:32 PM
I am out for Tuesday, gotta work now..

I will leave Wednesday.

OilHammer
10-20-2011, 09:48 AM
24 pages of stuff...lots to get lost in.

Chris, can you edit your first post to show departure date/time by everyone's name?
Right now, I'm 8am from central Denver on Wed. Might go Tues, but have not confirmed that yet.

We may want to edit that post to show who is bringing what for cooking/food as well.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Hmm. Will try. So you driving by my house on your way out of town?

24 pages of stuff...lots to get lost in.

Chris, can you edit your first post to show departure date/time by everyone's name?
Right now, I'm 8am from central Denver on Wed. Might go Tues, but have not confirmed that yet.

We may want to edit that post to show who is bringing what for cooking/food as well.

OilHammer
10-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Do or Do Not, there is no try.
;)
Your house is way out of the way, and I seem to run late after going by there....must be some kind of time black hole in that region.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
;)
Your house is way out of the way, and I seem to run late after going by there....must be some kind of time black hole in that region.

Ok you leave your house at 8 and I will leave at 9 and I will pass you on the highway...:p:

Is your brother coming?

Jacket
10-21-2011, 02:59 PM

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo138/Revernance/SWG/MRT-Yoda.png

Uncle Ben
10-21-2011, 03:03 PM
http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo138/Revernance/SWG/MRT-Yoda.png

Dave is looking like he's needing a haircut!

rover67
10-21-2011, 08:04 PM
I got a cool windshield mount for my Garmin HCx and worked on a track of our route today.

http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/ram-b-166-ga16.htm

I also got a ton of maps from the map store in boulder (which rocks).

They had every map you could ever want...

http://bouldermapgallery.com/catalog/

and the guy spent almost an hour with me looking at maps AFTER he closed the store..

Jacket
10-21-2011, 09:03 PM
The Boulder map store is awesome! Love that place.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-22-2011, 07:59 AM
I got a cool windshield mount for my Garmin HCx and worked on a track of our route today.

http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/ram-b-166-ga16.htm

I also got a ton of maps from the map store in boulder (which rocks).

They had every map you could ever want...

http://bouldermapgallery.com/catalog/

and the guy spent almost an hour with me looking at maps AFTER he closed the store..

Ok that is too cool......

Woodsman
10-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Big trips are always a great excuse to exercise ones credit.

OilHammer
10-24-2011, 08:22 AM
You mean....like buying a new wrangler unlimited?
Man, I hate to admit it but those are pretty sweet. Spent Sunday coaching my dad through a trail in his new rubicon and I watched how smooth it was compared to my 40. First thought I had was..."Hmmm....wonder if I can borrow that for the Maze run."
I'm pretty sure my credit would not allow me to own my own. :)

Woodsman
10-24-2011, 09:19 AM
:lol:

Actually, I was talking about all the maps, fun gadgets and camping gear. You know . . . relatively inexpensive stuff that doesn't usually break down. :lol:

The four door Unlimited Rubicons look really cool when built up but I still like the two door Unlimited Rubicon (kinda like a Scrambler) that was only made a couple years but still has the 4.0 inline six.

wesintl
10-26-2011, 07:37 AM
V17duGlHEYY

Caribou Sandstorm
10-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Wonder how much snow the Monte La Sal region got????

I have a ton of Mods left to do.....Marco I need to swing by and get your thoughts on a burrito cooker, if you still have time...

Who can swing by Santiagos for a burrito run?

I have front suspension mods to finish and rear suspension mods to finish....Gotta do them this weekend.

60wag
10-29-2011, 06:05 PM
What is the route from Bobby's hole to Hite?

wesintl
10-29-2011, 06:24 PM
north elk ridge/south elk ridge 088 to woodenshoe rd. looks like 108 then 181 then 256 along dark canyon/wooden shoe canyon

Caribou Sandstorm
10-30-2011, 11:45 AM
10 days and counting......

If your thinking of what to bring for food and other stuff, thought I would reacap some suggetions....

Food
Breakfasts.....
Thursday and Sunday we will be in a bit of a hurry to break camp so breakfast burritos or something to eat on the go will be best..
Friday and Saturday, if you want to bring half a dozen eggs and your favorite breakfast meet to participate in the big breakfast I make that would be great.
We could also use a couple packages of tortillas, medium size. I make pancakes to go along with the eggs and meat but if pancakes are not your thing, we can warm up some tortillas.

I will bring my coffee maker, I think Romer has a good coffee maker also. Coffee presses are good to have, if you don't have one yet.

Lunches.......on your own

Dinners....
Wednesday night on your own
Thursday night/Friday night group dinners
Saturday night is usally left overs...cook it all kind of night
Bring a package of burgers/brauts/steak/chicken..whatever you want for dinners..We usually cook dinner family style and share what we have.

Rifle, CO Walmart
If enroute you forgot something, Rifle has a Walmart just off the freeway, they carry Shwag bags in the camping section and sell a PET toilet version for 25.00... You need to make sure you have a personal PET setup, no digging in Canyonlands.

Weather
I checked the 10 day forcast just now, next week 20% chance of rain on Tuesday and 40% chance of snow on Thursday. The beginning of our week it looks Sunny and in the low 50s high 40s, I did a weather search for Hanksville UT, closer then Moab to our area and more accurate. we will see weather head straight to Moab from canyonlands and sometimes bypass us..

Why we are watching this is two fold, we obviously want to see what our weather will be but also we want to see what comes before us, as we will be traveling at high elevation in the Monte La Sals that are south of Beef Basin. If the snow is too deep there, we have some alternate routes to continue on our journey.

Marco was in the Beef Basin Area this weekend and said some areas had 3 inches of snow or less and most of the trail was dry or a little muddy.

Clothes
Don't forget to bring layers and a down coat if you have it. Good hiking boots that you can walk a few miles in.

Hike on Friday
The Harvest scene hike on Friday can be done in two ways...A shorter 5 mile hike and a longer 10 mile hike. Depending on what every one wants to do, we could even split up groups and converge at the Harvest scene and then hike out together..

Romer
10-30-2011, 09:21 PM
whats going on for Tuesday?