PDA

View Full Version : Streaming NFL?

MountainGoat
08-20-2011, 06:25 AM
We cancelled our DirecTV at the beginning of the summer and have been exclusively streaming Netflix via the Wii ever since. It's been great! However, we have no provision for watching football. :( I have done some research but there is no clear solution to me.

So do any of you guys watch NFL live on the internets? What website and/or software do you use? I really want to catch the Broncos games, but I don't want to sign up for DTV just to do it. I'm not THAT masochistic. :hill:

Shark Bait
08-20-2011, 08:32 AM
:rant:

I think the only way is DirecTV, which really pisses me off. I want to be able to watch it on my tablet or laptop when I am on the road. I called DTV to get the Sunday ticket to go, but was told the only way to get it was to subscribe to DTV. The Sunday NFL ticket is included in the subscription and also the ticket to go. I was all ready to switch from Comcast and DTV made me pretty mad, so I canceled my order.

There is no technical reason why one could not receive the games via the internet without having the home service. Frankly, I think it is extortion and I am going to write the NFL to complain.

You can buy, for $20, a package from NFL.com to watch any and all preseason games online. It worked pretty well. They should offer the same kind of package for the regular season.

MountainGoat
08-20-2011, 06:54 PM
:rant:You can buy, for $20, a package from NFL.com to watch any and all preseason games online. It worked pretty well. They should offer the same kind of package for the regular season.

Except for the ones that are blacked out. Like tonight's game. As I just discovered after paying $15 for the subscription. My bad for not reading the fine print, but nonetheless I feel like I've been had. :mad:

Shark Bait
08-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Blacked out? I'm watching on channel 9 right now?

MountainGoat
08-20-2011, 08:56 PM
From NFL.com:

"Why are some games blacked out?

A: Due to broadcast restrictions, games that are televised locally are subject to blackouts within NFL Preseason Live. Additionally, all nationally broadcast NFL Preseason games will be blacked out live. All these games will be made available in the NFL Preseason Live archives."

:banghead: :homer:

ScaldedDog
08-20-2011, 09:11 PM
August is to DTV what Christmas is to most retailers, precisely because of the NFL. I'd think Sunday Ticket with a subscription is about as good a deal as you're going to get.

Mark

Shark Bait
08-20-2011, 11:06 PM
From NFL.com:

"Why are some games blacked out?

A: Due to broadcast restrictions, games that are televised locally are subject to blackouts within NFL Preseason Live. Additionally, all nationally broadcast NFL Preseason games will be blacked out live. All these games will be made available in the NFL Preseason Live archives."

:banghead: :homer:

Hmmmm. Sorry if I mislead you, Dan. I watched the Thursday night Bronco game two weeks ago. Maybe that was not televised locally.

MountainGoat
08-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Hmmmm. Sorry if I mislead you, Dan. I watched the Thursday night Bronco game two weeks ago. Maybe that was not televised locally.

No worries Chris. I don't reckon that you done me wrong! :o

nakman
08-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I ended up walking down to Old Chicago's to catch the end of the game, once everyone else was in bed. We're in the same camp- no cable TV, just Hulu and Netflix.. pretty sure all I need is to get one of those digital converter boxes so I can run rabbit ears, right?

Caribou Sandstorm
08-21-2011, 07:57 PM
I ended up walking down to Old Chicago's to catch the end of the game, once everyone else was in bed. We're in the same camp- no cable TV, just Hulu and Netflix.. pretty sure all I need is to get one of those digital converter boxes so I can run rabbit ears, right?

That is what I was thinking. Then you get locals, which give you NBC, CBS and Fox. So you only miss the games on ESPN.

NFL schedule

http://www.nfl.com/schedules?seasonType=REG#Week

rover67
08-21-2011, 08:55 PM
From your location Tim, an antenna would get all the major networks...

nakman
08-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Ok, so I bought a Terk FDTV2A Omni-Directional Amplified Flat Digital HDTV (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001UE8KUW/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used) Antenna. got it off Amazon, used, for

> Item Subtotal : $9.29
> Shipping & Handling : $7.90
> Total : $17.19

came from that Frog Jar retailer.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31LT4PBhjrL._SL110_.jpg

It came today. Plugged it into our upstairs bedroom TV and it seems to work quite well. I have no idea how many channels there are, probably 40 or 50? Seems to get all the major networks, nice dose of shopping, Spanish stuff, even MTV3? Never heard of it.. and it still doesn't even have videos. you'd think with 3 channels they'd show videos on one of them. :rolleyes:

What's interesting is the sizes of the images all vary- some are full screen, some are skinny but take up the full height, just 3" on each side is chopped off. And others are shrunk down on all sides, with a border top and bottom in addition to the sides. The majors all seem big though, and picture quality looks really good.. not sure I'd call it high def, but it's only a 720 tv upstairs so maybe it is.. guess I'll see how it looks downstairs on the 1080i tv. Anyway I'm pretty happy with the purchase so far, and the monthly bill seems reasonable.

Anyway silly question, but so can I run other TV's off this same antenna? Or should I buy another one for downstairs? I've already got Coax running between the two, so am I just a splitter away from local TV everywhere here?

Caribou Sandstorm
08-25-2011, 07:56 AM
We have direct TV so not sure if this relates to your screen size issue but sometimes we get the side bars during a commercial break and then the show will go back to full screen.

I used to see this more when HD first came out, Sometimes I would see this with a TV setting, as well.

nakman
08-25-2011, 08:26 AM
We have direct TV so not sure if this relates to your screen size issue but sometimes we get the side bars during a commercial break and then the show will go back to full screen.

I used to see this more when HD first came out, Sometimes I would see this with a TV setting, as well.

When we had cable TV (Comcast) for some reason the upstairs TV was always chopped on the sides- and try as I might, I just couldn't figure out how to correct that, if I got it to fill up the sides it would be too big and I'd lose the top & bottom of the image- so cut off the top of everyone's heads, and lose the ticker at the bottom, etc.

so I was a little elated to see that the TV is now full screen, it's just funny now it changes channel to channel. It's fine though, we really don't watch much TV anymore anyway.

And I think I answered my own coax question- the stuff running through the house is still connnected to Comcast, for phone & internet, so I think I'd be messing that up if I tried to cram TV the other direction. I'm just going to move the antenna downstairs and call it done, hopefully the reception is as good.

Corbet
09-04-2011, 08:24 AM
There are sites that stream NFL games live. I used to know the name of one but have forgotten it as I'm a DTV ticket subscriber. Search European sites.

Hulk
09-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Anyway I'm pretty happy with the purchase so far, and the monthly bill seems reasonable.

Monthly bill? Isn't this just an antenna? :confused:

nakman
09-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Monthly bill? Isn't this just an antenna? :confused:

exactly.

pmccumber
09-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I bought my nephew a sling box two years ago and it let's me watch hometown Wisconsin TV free. I see every Packer, Badger, and Brewer game. Works great. Now I have the iPad app and can watch on the go.