PDA

View Full Version : USA Pro Cycling challenge

Caribou Sandstorm
08-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Anyone going to see some or all of the stages?

I wanted to see the Salida to Crested Butte stage but have to travel for work.

Might get to see Wednesday''s stage or Sunday.

Paul/Marco can't remember which of you told me they were climbing Cottonwood but you were right! dirt!! That will be soo cool!

http://www.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/

DaveInDenver
08-22-2011, 06:46 AM
We were out in Gunnison for the 24 Hours in the Sage and were hoping to stay out, follow the stages in and around Gunnison, Crested Butte (this would have been cool, a climb to the finish), Cottonwood. But I had to be at work this morning, so another blown vacation. I'm still crossing my fingers that I can sneak down for the Cottonwood stage, long day in the saddle for them and me. We'll likely watch Sunday's stage at the Lookout climb.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-22-2011, 09:39 AM
I fly back into town tomorrow night and was thinking of getting up early and trying to find a spot along cottonwood Wednesday morning.

Maybe I will see you there?

DaveInDenver
08-22-2011, 09:59 AM
I fly back into town tomorrow night and was thinking of getting up early and trying to find a spot along cottonwood Wednesday morning.

Maybe I will see you there?
I'm planning to be there, but things can and often do change drastically in 24 hours. I'm planning on going up tomorrow and am working on taking tomorrow off, too. If I can, I will be on Cottonwood, but if not I will be probably on the BV side.

Note that Cottonwood is being closed to vehicles Tuesday at 3PM. They have to grade and prep the road before the race.

So if you're wanting to see the KOM at the summit you will have to park and walk/ride (you can ride all routes on bicycles even during closures, you MUST dismount as the race rolls through) Cottonwood or be there before 3PM tomorrow.

If you're coming up Wednesday morning, Independence Pass might be the better summit. Although the camping on both side of Independence was booked months ago, so I would expect it to be a total zoo. The stage starts in Gunnison at 10AM, so I expect them to be at the top of Cottonwood near lunch time.

Most people who are not camping on Cottonwood already or are planning an early ride start Wednesday morning I would expect will do a hasty shuttle. See the start in Gunny and hustle over Monarch to BV, Aspen or whatever. You could see the start and finish as long as you hit Independence before noon. They are closing Independence Pass at noon. So leave Gunnison right away and do not take your time driving over. There are also sprints at Almont and BV, so seeing the start and the Buena Vista sprint would be doable.

sno bored
08-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I will be checking out the stage that ends in Breck. Free Big Head Todd and the Monsters concert too.

ScaldedDog
08-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Those of us watching on TV want to know: Are we going to see any of you guys running alongside the leaders, dressed in elk horns and a man-thong? :D

Mark

Caribou Sandstorm
08-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Caribou rack!:cheers:

ScaldedDog
08-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Lol!

wesintl
08-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I really want to go to cottonwood pass but I don't know if I can pull of the next two days.

Man I dunno why they would scrape it before hand for the riders. I hate riding on fresh scraped gravel road even if they do wet it and roll it. it'll probably suck worse than a few potholes and whoopdedoo's

DaveInDenver
08-22-2011, 04:25 PM
I really want to go to cottonwood pass but I don't know if I can pull of the next two days.

Man I dunno why they would scrape it before hand for the riders. I hate riding on fresh scraped gravel road even if they do wet it and roll it. it'll probably suck worse than a few potholes and whoopdedoo's
I think they are concerned with washboard more than anything. But OTOH I agree, they should deal with it, even if that means they have to run 28- (or gasp 32-!) spoke wheels or 700x25 tires with actual tread in place of their 700x18 ultra skinnies on 1200 gram climbing wheelsets.

It's actually a pretty good stage IMHO, two KOM climbs, two sprints and several longish flats with the additional aspect of a dirt road. You could use climbing wheels at the risk of breaking them on the gravel descent. You could go with road wheels that are heavier (also good in that they carry momentum), but climbing with them sucks.

Then there's the unknown of rain, like stage 7 in the 2010 Giro, where Cadel's MTB experience was clearly an advantage. That was the white road stage when it rained, they all looked like cyclocross racers...

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/imagefly.aspx?w=471&h=550&p=contentimages%2FEvans_29_roadbikeaction.jpg

Caribou Sandstorm
08-25-2011, 08:59 AM
I got in past midnight on Tuesday so I bailed on going. Dave I looked for you on the coverage but didn't see you, the cottonwood coverage was pretty light, Inedependance pass was pretty good coverage, looked like a mountain top in France with fans going nutso..

DaveInDenver
08-25-2011, 10:04 AM
I got in past midnight on Tuesday so I bailed on going. Dave I looked for you on the coverage but didn't see you, the cottonwood coverage was pretty light, Inedependance pass was pretty good coverage, looked like a mountain top in France with fans going nutso..
There was a fixed wing aircraft circling overhead and a helo hovering over the race. The helicopter followed them up the whole canyon but the plane would fade into and out of view. There was a thunderstorm with some lightning that I think forced the plane to duck in and out of range. It was centered right over the Divide just south of the pass. I believe it rained on the peleton on the descent from Cottonwood, but they were dry for the climb.

Trust me, you would have known if you saw me. Look for the purple and silver skinsuit and a 2' wide sombrero... In this shot Cottonwood Pass itself is just around the bend at the top left of the frame. This is roughly 200 meters from the summit, they are crossing the KOM sprint line.

I was right next to Pedraza when he made his move for KOM points, just to his left out of the frame on the right. The cow guy, the guy with the Colorado state flag and I were running along the same length of road. You can see them in both pictures as well.

I tell you what, I've seen plenty of domestic road and MTB pro races and these guys are absolutely in-fkn-credible. The way they accelerated, unreal. The peleton had a whoosh as it passed like I've never seen before. And the spectacle! Look carefully, they are climbing Cottonwood in the big ring.

wesintl
08-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Dave, what was the surface like on the dirt

DaveInDenver
08-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Dave, what was the surface like on the dirt
When I got there at about 9:30 (we camped about a mile down along the pavement on the east side) or so, it was slightly damp and super smooth. They clearly worked the top km a lot, which I suspect was for the KOM sprint. It rained and hailed for about 20~30 minutes at about 11 and they passed us about 12:15 I think, so the surface was still wet and had run-off ruts in it. It was sloppy muddy for about half an hour after the rain, but was just tacky wet for the riders.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Cool, I picked you out in the picture, I will go back and watch that again!

Way to go. I am super jealous!

rover67
08-25-2011, 10:55 AM
That's sweet that you made it up there Dave, way to go :)

I can't believe they were doing it in the big ring, I was doing it on my single speed and not even the steep part was hard.

DaveInDenver
08-25-2011, 11:12 AM
I can't believe they were doing it in the big ring, I was doing it on my single speed and not even the steep part was hard.
The peleton had averaged about 22MPH up to this point including that cattle guard crash and the break guys had a 3:50 gap at the pass that was cut down from 4:05 over the last 5km of the climb. So as fast as the break guys were climbing, the peleton was just a little faster and they were sometimes sitting up and chatting... :-)

farnhamstj
08-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Just watched the race across the street from my house. I'll post pics later. Nice job Levi!!!!

Caribou Sandstorm
08-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Wow way cool Farnham! No commute for you to see the coolest race in town!

sno bored
08-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Finish line for tomorrow is about a mile from my house. They are shutting down Hwy 9 and main street, should be a zoo in town all day.

RicardoJM
08-29-2011, 10:19 AM
My youngest son and I went to the race yesterday. We were right at the start line for the sign in and the pre-race interviews with the leaders and TDF podium guys. I was amazed that we lucked out and got so close to the action. We watched the start and left Golden after they completed their first pass back through town. We then booked for downtown and caught all the laps from 14th and Speer, then headed to Civic Center for the finish. The spectators were 10-15 deep at the finish and we did not get close enough to see anything other than helmets.

These guys ride a bike very fast, it is an amazing thing to see these guys fly by. The break-a-way had a 2.5 minute lead on the first lap through town and in short order it was gone as the peleton swallowed them up. On the last lap, one rider tried to get away and the TV coverage was on him just as he passed our viewing spot - we were able to see ourselves watching the race.

DaveInDenver
08-29-2011, 10:30 AM
One drunken idiot, yup. Danny Pate accelerating away from aforementioned drunken idiot, yup.

rover67
08-29-2011, 11:37 AM
you look cute in that picture, but woulda' been better with a Tu-Tu

DaveInDenver
08-29-2011, 11:53 AM
you look cute in that picture, but woulda' been better with a Tu-Tu
There was a guy in a ballerina tutu near the KOM on Lookout yesterday. That would have been ridiculous, I'm all about the more subtle, classy look.

rover67
08-29-2011, 12:37 PM
LOL, subtle and classy, I love it!

:)

Seriously though, glad you got up there man, looks like it was epic.

LARGEONE
08-30-2011, 11:50 AM
I rode my bike from Frisco up to the end on day three at Vail time trial. Had a sweet outfit picked out but had to leave it behind due to longer ride. Wish I had brought it after seeing Dave in his gear!

DaveInDenver
09-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Cottonwood climb from the Mavic neutral support car...

eweaIUumQyk

DaveInDenver
09-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Indie Pass by Mavic. Awesome! Europe's got nuthin' on Colorado.

Warning language.

KPosnQF4xv4

Caribou Sandstorm
09-02-2011, 03:01 PM
That is a Jetta wagon just like ours! Only ours is not yellow!

corsair23
09-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Some of those spectators are nuts :D - Especially that guy with the big sombrero! :lmao: