PDA

View Full Version : Wear contacts?

OilHammer
08-22-2011, 08:50 AM
A word of warning to contact wearers. I nearly lost my right eye last week due to a rapid infection on the cornea. I had been pushing the number of hours I wear my lenses for some time, and I got a tiny scratch in my right eye from some grit when I was working in the yard. With barely a day warning, my right eye went completely red and I ran to the eye doc.
The deal is this, your cornea is .5mm thick, and in about a day (that I knew of) the bacteria had burned half way through it. If it had gone all the way through, that's it...eye has to be removed. Doc said I had a 60% chance of keeping the eye at the point I came in (Noticed it Monday night at bed time, and went to the eye doc before lunch on Tues).

I count my blessings that I was able to catch it in time and the antibiotic eye drops work very fast. I had to spend a day in the dark basement and not drive, but far better than losing an eye!

If you wear contacts, don't push it. Clean clean clean, and don't wear them too long. Your cornea needs oxygen, and the longer you wear your lenses the greater risk that something like this happens to you.

Nay
08-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Wow, that is scary, glad you are ok!

I only use daily disposables - I had some problems years ago (nowhere near as severe as yours) and it is too easy to skip the full cleaning when you are tired at night.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-22-2011, 11:17 AM
yikes....

Glad you are ok...

FJBRADY
08-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Wow.....glad your ok. Had a similar experience with 30 day lenses years ago.

I converted to daily wear lenses and swear by them. Cost about a $1 per day when you buy a years worth at a time.

Pros:
No solutions to deal with
Infection risk next to zero
Eyes feel fresh every day.

Cons:
None

Focus Dailys are what I wear.

Dr. Schlegs
08-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Glad you are well.

I take out my lens every night and rarely sleep with them in, I make an exception on the pre-run:o. I wear the same pair for sometime, but my optometrist told me that I need to take out my contacts sooner. By having prolonged wear little blood vessels start to grow into the retina in an attempt to gain oxygen.

Jacket
08-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Do the daily disposables help with dryness? I've got these 1 month dealios, but they really only last 2 -3 weeks before I can't stand them any more.

OilHammer
08-22-2011, 04:33 PM
I was on the AccuVue 2 week disposables....but lost track of how many weeks I was on. That, and I was wearing them too many hours per day. Steve, I like the sound of the throw them out per day, and I could go forever before spending more than Lasik. Doc says I shouldn't wear contacts anymore, but I'm just not sold on the Lasik either. Seems like they both have risks, and I'm not taking any more with my sight! I think my wife was excited for an eye patch, but I was not....;) Arrrr....

corsair23
08-22-2011, 05:00 PM
I'd vote for Lasik but that is a gamble...Success rate is high but the risk if something goes badly could be severe. For me though, having laser eyes has been awesome! :)

I'd feel completely opposite of course if my vision wasn't 20/20 and 20/15 now...not all have had good success with Lasik but it seems to have gotten a LOT better in the last 10 years.

Woodsman
08-22-2011, 05:10 PM
My brother used to keep his contacts in far too long and also had infection "issues" which were not solved quite as quickly as yours. He can't wear contacts any more.

I tried contacts years ago when I needed assistance to pass my driver's eye exam but had to let them go because I work in woodworking and dust was just too big of a problem. Luckily, my eyes have actually improved in the last ten or more years so I've been able to pass the test without glasses/contacts.

Another related issue, all of us spend time working underneath vehicles . . . MAKE SURE TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN WRENCHING UNDER YOUR RIG. I've had dirt removed from an eye by the doctor (as well as a metal flake when I was a teenager doing body work on my first car) and a friend lost eye sight in one eye due to catching a bunch of dirt while under a truck. A good pair of SAFETY GLASSES should be in your rig or your tool bag.

RedCreeper
08-22-2011, 05:13 PM
My uncle studied for a long time about lasik and did his homework on the procedures before he pulled the trigger. He was nearsighted. But driving a ruck was getting tougher for him. When he was done i gave him a call to check on how it went and his words were....

"well.... I can see a Moose take a s--- at 500 yards but cant see my self take a leak!" I busted up. It is all good now but the first few months were scary for him.

Glad your ok. Makes me think how long i have had mine in.....

FJBRADY
08-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Do the daily disposables help with dryness? I've got these 1 month dealios, but they really only last 2 -3 weeks before I can't stand them any more.

Yes, next time at the eye doctor ask for a two week supply (free samples)

The annual cost between daily and extended wear are about the same when you factor in solutions etc., but when you factor in the health and comfort of your eyes it's a no brainer.

AHorseThief
08-22-2011, 08:23 PM
I've been in the same boat, but not quite as bad. My eye does have a sweet scar from my last infection. I'm thinking about LASIK but don't want to have to go from contacts to reading glasses.

Inukshuk
08-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Glad you are ok.

I use daily wears for sports and will now re-think using them more than 1x.

As for the rest of this thread, its why I still wear glasses. I can see and they provide some protection all the time. I swap out safety glasses for wrenching and keep some in my tool bag.

wesintl
08-22-2011, 09:20 PM
yer still a pirate in my book. Glad you're ok Barry :)

OilHammer
08-23-2011, 09:09 AM
As for the rest of this thread, its why I still wear glasses. I can see and they provide some protection all the time. I swap out safety glasses for wrenching and keep some in my tool bag.

That's just it, I DID have on safety glasses, but the chip bounced off my cheek and got in my eye anyway. (Need old school bigger one's I guess) I blinked a couple times, didn't feel anything, didn't think anything about it. My contacts have actually saved my eyes many times from similar incidents. The contact is a barrier if something gets around the glasses or you happen to not have any glasses on. I think that if I was doing what Brady is, and throwing the lens out everyday, this would have been a non-incident.
Maybe....but I hear Caribou chit can fly 400 yards and safety glasses won't protect you against that.

LARGEONE
08-23-2011, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't trade my lasik for anything. Well worth the $800 per eye I spent in year 2000. I had a friend who had a pretty bad issue with the lasik...and 3 months later he was STILL GLAD he had the surgery done. I just can't imagine going back to messing with contacts.

Barry...so glad to hear you're keeping your eye, buddy.

rover67
08-23-2011, 09:43 AM
That's just it, I DID have on safety glasses, but the chip bounced off my cheek and got in my eye anyway. (Need old school bigger one's I guess) I blinked a couple times, didn't feel anything, didn't think anything about it. My contacts have actually saved my eyes many times from similar incidents. The contact is a barrier if something gets around the glasses or you happen to not have any glasses on. I think that if I was doing what Brady is, and throwing the lens out everyday, this would have been a non-incident.
Maybe....but I hear Caribou chit can fly 400 yards and safety glasses won't protect you against that.

I was using a weed-eater to knock down some big stuff at our place a few years ago when we moved in and had the same thing happen. I was wearing saftey glasses and a chunk of something bounced off my cheek and hit my eye. I got a pretty bad bacterial infection in my cornea that i didn't address for a few days. It was horrible. I went to the doctor every day for two weeks for them to check on it and give my drop after drop to try and get rid of it. The worst part about it was that my cornea was also torn and every time i'd blink the flap would flip up then back, so it was pretty painful. The doctor made me wear a contact lens to hold the flap down while it all healed. the contact lens sucked.. i really don't know how you people do it.... a few evenings it rolled into the back of my eye and i had to dig it out with tweezers, q-tips, and fingers.

Anyways after a few weeks of pretty nasty eye pain it finally got better and i was back to normal.

I wear goggles now when i use a weed-eater.

I had no idea there was any danger of loosing an eye, but the doctor seemed very concerned. Thanks for the story Barry, and glad you get to keep your eyeball. I am sure you enjoy having it.

Woodsman
08-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Way back before Lasik, the process of vision correction was performed with a steady hand and sharp knife. It was called radial keratotomy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_keratotomy

Back in those days, it was recommended that individuals be approaching middle age before having it done. As I understood it, the human eye is very soft and slowly changing in shape when young and gradually becomes a more firm and stable tissue with age. If you were to get this done when young, your vision could still change as you approach middle age and the tissues become more firm. I don't know if Lasik has the same issues or not but I would think that it would.

Nay
08-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Yes, next time at the eye doctor ask for a two week supply (free samples)

The annual cost between daily and extended wear are about the same when you factor in solutions etc., but when you factor in the health and comfort of your eyes it's a no brainer.

I use the Focus dailies also. I personally wouldn't wear any other type of contact having been through the hard and extended wear soft versions. The dailies have so much less material that they are almost non-existent.

To give you an idea of how comfortable the one-use contacts are...I only wear contacts 3-4 times a month unless I'm on a trip when I might wear them daily for a week or more. I can still wear them 12-14 hours without any discomfort, which would be impossible with traditional lenses.

I went back to wearing glasses 95% of the time plus the disposable contacts because I did't want the infection risk and I'm always wearing sunglasses here anyway - it's really just easier to have Transitions lenses and have your sunglasses (and ultimately reading glasses) already on your face.

LASIK is a beautiful thing, but alas, they haven't solved aging yet :hill:

Jenny Cruiser
08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I always hated not being able to see when I was on/in the water. I also missed having decent sunglasses so...

I let my dad be the guinea pig before I went and had my eyes done. His were fine 10 + years later so I gave it a go a little over a year ago. I had PRK instead because I didn't want the flap.

I'm happy with it.:cool:

Red_Chili
08-24-2011, 01:40 PM
I had LASIK done early on, in Canada. I had an epithelial tear during the procedure which turned into a slow epithelial ingrowth in the cut... which is irritating. My right eye was a tad nearsighted, which was fine for computer work but made my brain bumfuzzled because I am right eye dominant. Nonetheless... I would have done it again.

Had it redone about 7 years ago because my right eye went a bit more nearsighted and was needing glasses. They did it under "warranty"; TLC Laser Centers cover you for life. They dug out some of the epithelial ingrowth while they were at it. The computer was vastly better and I could see the aforementioned distant moose excrement immediately. WOW!... Yeah, at that point I would have DEFINITELY done it again.

Now that I've gotten older, my near vision is borderline but having essentially monovision nearly compensates for that, and I can generally read unless it is really fine print. I wear glasses for the computer just to let my eyes relax. And photograys for driving or outdoors, unless I don't want to.

Took a turbogoat at 650+ yards last year too. Pretty happy. MUCH better than contacts.

nakman
08-24-2011, 01:51 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about wearing down starter contacts... :confused: man I'm so glad I don't have to mess with that stuff.

anyway Barry glad you're ok, and it never hurts for everyone to get a lesson in eye protection. We deal with a lot of lasers here in the real job, the joke is "you can look into a laser beam exactly twice- once per eye."

Caribou Sandstorm
08-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Marco I hope you are reading this thread....no more welding/grinding for you with out proper eye gear....just think of me as your big brother...:D