PDA

View Full Version : Rut ro... electrical help

Rezarf
08-25-2011, 04:30 PM
My buddy called me and was asking for help with his Toyota Camary.

Yesterday his wife came out and the battery was dead.

He jump started the car and crossed up the NEG and POS cables :o

Now the car starts but his gauges are out, windows don't work, he can't get it into reverse, no a/c heat.

The lights do work but not all. He's asked me to take a look at it before taking it in somewhere.

He melted the battery post and has replaced the battery and terminal. I am thinking he had to eat some fuses/relays but he said the fuses all look good. I will double check them.

I am thinking fusable link and or relays? But if anything is working I would think the fusable link would be good?

Anything else to look at before sending it on to a shop... (or Robbie ;) )

Thanks in advance-:thumb:

wesintl
08-25-2011, 04:32 PM
battery is toast.. replace it.

Rezarf
08-25-2011, 04:39 PM
battery is toast.. replace it.

replaced

corsair23
08-25-2011, 05:35 PM
I'd go ahead and replace every fuse, whether it looks good or not, that are associated with the items that are not working for sure. I might be inclined to replace all them no matter what.

If the Camry is like the 80, if the brake lights are inop (i.e. due to a blown fuse), then the shift lockout mechanism won't let you shift out of park (you can get around that by pushing the shift lock detent with a long screwdriver found on the shift console under a little cover)

I don't know how many fusible links a Camry has...Heck, I'm not even sure how many an 80 has but it is 2 or 3 IIRC :hill:

Uncle Ben
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
I'd go ahead and replace every fuse, whether it looks good or not, that are associated with the items that are not working for sure. I might be inclined to replace all them no matter what.

If the Camry is like the 80, if the brake lights are inop (i.e. due to a blown fuse), then the shift lockout mechanism won't let you shift out of park (you can get around that by pushing the shift lock detent with a long screwdriver found on the shift console under a little cover)

I don't know how many fusible links a Camry has...Heck, I'm not even sure how many an 80 has but it is 2 or 3 IIRC :hill:

All power first goes into the distribution panel under the hood. Considering it sounds like your buddy was confused about positive/negative red/black while jumping the battery I strongly suggest he seeks out someone else to start checking circuits!

TIMZTOY
08-25-2011, 08:28 PM
All power first goes into the distribution panel under the hood. Considering it sounds like your buddy was confused about positive/negative red/black while jumping the battery I strongly suggest he seeks out someone else to start checking circuits!

agree'd. and you dont need to repalce all the fuses.. just test them. pull them out. ohm them. they should be 0-1 ohm of resistance. there like a light switch, there either good or bad.. also make sure the connections are good at the battery.. i've been bitten in the but by what apeared to be a tight conection, and it was actually loose. also EFI main relay.. bla bla bla.. just check the circuts. engine only needs

AIR
FUEL
COMPRESSION
to run.. and there's no way he fubard the compression..

Rezarf
08-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Yeah, it was a mistake more than confusion, he got into a hurry and crossed the jumpers up. I am going to take a quick look at it for him.

agree'd. and you dont need to repalce all the fuses.. just test them. pull them out. ohm them. they should be 0-1 ohm of resistance. there like a light switch, there either good or bad.. also make sure the connections are good at the battery.. i've been bitten in the but by what apeared to be a tight conection, and it was actually loose. also EFI main relay.. bla bla bla.. just check the circuts. engine only needs

AIR
FUEL
COMPRESSION

The engine runs, its most the lights and gauges that are out.

nakman
08-26-2011, 12:13 PM
.... also EFI main relay.. .

that's where my money is. Worst case fried ECU, but hopefully just the EFI relay.

60wag
08-26-2011, 12:20 PM
If the engine is running, the EFI relay and ECU are working.

AxleIke
08-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Have you checked ALL the fuse panels. Should be one under the hood, and one or two under the dash.

If those are all good, start chasing wires. I agree that it is unlikely you fried the ECU or EFI relay. The car won't run without those.

You fried all the secondary systems it sounds like. Those are mostly under dash fuses. You may have also melted a ground somewhere.

Uncle Ben
08-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah, it was a mistake more than confusion, he got into a hurry and crossed the jumpers up. I am going to take a quick look at it for him.

The engine runs, its most the lights and gauges that are out.

The ECU has reverse polarity protection so I'll bet it's OK. I bet a fuse issue. The fact that the ECU allows the starter circuit to complete tells me it's probably not the EFI relay. Toyota neutral safety switch is ECU completed so No ECU no starter circuit. Do you know what lights and gauges and ???? is out specifically?

nakman
08-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Ah, I see that my true electrical engineering skills have been revealed... http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/electric.gif

corsair23
08-26-2011, 12:52 PM
The ECU has reverse polarity protection so I'll bet it's OK. I bet a fuse issue. The fact that the ECU allows the starter circuit to complete tells me it's probably not the EFI relay. Toyota neutral safety switch is ECU completed so No ECU no starter circuit. Do you know what lights and gauges and ???? is out specifically?

Now the car starts but his gauges are out, windows don't work, he can't get it into reverse, no a/c heat.

The lights do work but not all

I'm a noob but it just made sense to me that since the owner can start the car but can't get it to shift into reverse that for sure it is likely the brake light fuse(s) are blown as I assume the Camry locks out the shifter just like on an 80 with blown tailight/brake fuse. Granted it might be more serious than just fuses but that is where I would start. Although I have to admit that with my limited knowledge that'd be about the extent of my trouble shooting abilities :hill:

subzali
08-26-2011, 01:54 PM
... engine only needs

AIR
FUEL
COMPRESSION

on a diesel...;)

on a Camry, needs spark too!

Rezarf
08-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks dudes, heading over there now. I will let you know what I find out.

I appreciate it.

Drew

TIMZTOY
08-26-2011, 04:06 PM
on a diesel...;)

aaaa good catch..

naa you can just will it to start. ive seen it in movies b4, there for its true.. :hill:

subzali
08-26-2011, 04:08 PM
:hill:

Rezarf
08-26-2011, 10:06 PM
so all the fuses are good except for the alternator. I suspect the fusible link(s) are toast. They are under the engine bay fuse/relay box and I needed my tools to access them. I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks dudes.

Rezarf
08-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Fusible link, swapped it out, fired right up. I was the hero, champagne flowed like wine and confetti fell from the sky... it was a great moment in my life.

Thanks for the help everyone. I thanked each you in my acceptance speach. :D